If We Keep Rex, Who Becomes GM?

kelticwizard

There's some sentiment around for keeping Rex and firing Idzik.  The Facebook page was full of "Keep Rex Fire Idzik" people.  Whether these people were Jets fans or fans of other teams is unclear.

Anyway, assuming that they do in fact keep Rex, the question is:  How?  We kept Rex when we got rid of our last GM, had Rex part of the GM interviewing process, and it's a disaster.  So the only conceivable ways we can keep Rex is either to make him GM as well, or hire someone as GM who has worked with Rex and who would, if hired by another team, would have the newly available Rex as one of his top coaching candidates.

Anybody know anyone like that?  A fellow who might be from the Buddy Ryan coaching tree who has moved up to the front office and who both has the credentials to be a legit GM candidate and who has worked successfully with Rex Ryan in the past?  Because I can't see any other way Rex keeps his job.

Im all for keeping Rex and firing everyone else 

Fair enough.  But if we do that, we can't go back to introducing Rex to a new GM and hoping they get along.  If we keep Rex, then the new GM has to be somebody Rex has successfully worked with in the past-and who also has the credentials to be a legit GM candidate on his own.  Who would that be?

Fair enough.  But if we do that, we can't go back to introducing Rex to a new GM and hoping they get along.  If we keep Rex, then the new GM has to be somebody Rex has successfully worked with in the past-and who also has the credentials to be a legit GM candidate on his own.  Who would that be?

What possible reason makes you think that Rex has a chance of retaining his job? this whole thread is mind boggling..

If the unimaginable happens and Woody decides to retain Rex and let Idzik go, then Woody needs to make Rex himself the GM.  Not somebody that Rex has worked with in the past, it needs to be Rex, so that all of the responsibility for the success or, more likely, failure of the team in 2015 can rest entirely on his shoulders.

Now, this isn't going to happen.  There's no chance that Woody retains Rex for 2015.  Nothing has happened within the Jets organization in 2014 that demonstrates that anyone associated with coaching or football operations deserves to keep their jobs.  Pretty much everyone needs to be fired: the entire coaching staff, the entire front office and scouting department, and quite a few of the players need to be sent packing as well.

Yes, just as it was Rex who hired Sparano.

Listen, people quickly forget while sporano was here the Jets o line could not block any kind of blitz. and after a ******* bye week they were still getting burned by the same blitz package. how can a head coach not see that? those arent x's and o's, those are things that anybody should be able to see and want to make improvementrs on during a bye week. thats all on Rex and these little things are always swept under the rug quickly.

Listen, people quickly forget while sporano was here the Jets o line could not block any kind of blitz. and after a ******* bye week they were still getting burned by the same blitz package. how can a head coach not see that? those arent x's and o's, those are things that anybody should be able to see and want to make improvementrs on during a bye week. thats all on Rex and these little things are always swept under the rug quickly.

You pretty much just made the case for bringing Rex back. These are just learning curves.

Rex 3.0 will be much better.

There's some sentiment around for keeping Rex and firing Idzik.  The Facebook page was full of "Keep Rex Fire Idzik" people.  Whether these people were Jets fans or fans of other teams is unclear.

Anyway, assuming that they do in fact keep Rex, the question is:  How?  We kept Rex when we got rid of our last GM, had Rex part of the GM interviewing process, and it's a disaster.  So the only conceivable ways we can keep Rex is either to make him GM as well, or hire someone as GM who has worked with Rex and who would, if hired by another team, would have the newly available Rex as one of his top coaching candidates.

Anybody know anyone like that?  A fellow who might be from the Buddy Ryan coaching tree who has moved up to the front office and who both has the credentials to be a legit GM candidate and who has worked successfully with Rex Ryan in the past?  Because I can't see any other way Rex keeps his job.

Are you serious? you sound like you want to keep rex and hire tannenbaum back?!?

Either Rex and Idzik are fired or only Rex is fired. No way he stays for a 3rd GM, I would imagine that has never happened in the history of the NFL. 

What possible reason makes you think that Rex has a chance of retaining his job? this whole thread is mind boggling..

No chance Rex stays, just stop it already.

Hey, don't blame me.  I just looked at this link off an article on the very front page of this website, (Shefter's comment),  and all of the people are saying Rex should stay, Idzik must go and that Rex will be hired immediately if the Jets let him go.

http://www.jetnation.com/2014/12/22/schefter-woody-to-hire-charley-casserly-as-a-consultant/

So I just figured I would try to envision a scenario that this could happen, since the idea of bringing in a GM with a coach already in place did not work with Idzik.  Seriously, whatever happened to you guys' sense of curiosity?

Hey, don't blame me. I just looked at this link off an article on the very front page of this website, (Shefter's comment), and all of the people are saying Rex should stay, Idzik must go and that Rex will be hired immediately if the Jets let him go.

http://www.jetnation.com/2014/12/22/schefter-woody-to-hire-charley-casserly-as-a-consultant/

So I just figured I would try to envision a scenario that this could happen, since the idea of bringing in a GM with a coach already in place did not work with Idzik. Seriously, whatever happened to you guys' sense of curiosity?

I guess the Jets sucking the last 4 years has not made me too curious, please forgive me.

Is the overall building of this team Rex's fault or was it John Idzik who was supposed to be bring in free agents and draft worthy players?  who hired MM was it Rex?  

Fault Rex for his faults not what was out of his control. 

its your fault.

We have the dumbest fanbase on Earth...

Probably the most accurate statement ever.

Our idiot fan base is going to fire a GM that has been on the job less than 2 years yet keep the head coach that has failed 4 years in a row. He has had 3 OCs, 2 DCs, and several STa coaches. Yet none of the teams struggles are his fault.

Ok, let's keep Rex and continue with the quick fixes that may result in a short term return of 6-8 wins in 2015 and just go through another disaster of a season in 2016.

There is no possible way to rationalize keeping Rex to any intelligent football fan. No freaking way.

Probably the most accurate statement ever.

Our idiot fan base is going to fire a GM that has been on the job less than 2 years yet keep the head coach that has failed 4 years in a row. He has had 3 OCs, 2 DCs, and several STa coaches. Yet none of the teams struggles are his fault.

Ok, let's keep Rex and continue with the quick fixes that may result in a short term return of 6-8 wins in 2015 and just go through another disaster of a season in 2016.

There is no possible way to rationalize keeping Rex to any intelligent football fan. No freaking way.

Who cares about winning? He's such a really really cool guy. And the players love him!

Guess I'm in the minority (and part of the "dumbest fanbase") but I'd love to see a GM hired that actually wants to keep Rex. Doesn't sound likely, but it's what I'm pulling for. I'm interested in hearing a legit answer to the original post as well. Are there any GM candidates who would actually want Rex as HC?

If they both go, it'll suck losing Rex, but nature of the beast I suppose.

Now if Rex goes and Idzik stays, I'll be pissed.

Sorry

But IMO it's time to do it right

Woody started down the right track with bringing in a football guy, not a search firm to handle the hiring of a new GM.

New GM hires the HC he wants

New HC hires the CS he wants

Then new GM and new HC work together to bring in the players and draft choices they want so that after next Sunday we never again have to run Gen0 out on to a football field as a starting QB

I'm interested in hearing a legit answer to the original post as well. Are there any GM candidates who would actually want Rex as HC?

I feel the same way.  I see all these posts about front office people, scouting people and all the rest, but nobody has come up with any suggestions.  If any of the Facebook people are correct and Rex will get hired right away as a head coach-the announcers on TV seemed to agree-then some GMs must like him.

In addition, everyone talks about poor Idzik being stuck with a head coach he didn't hire.  Rex got stuck with Schottenheimer.  Maybe he blew it with Sporano when Schottenheimer finally left, but still, nobody considers that.  And Schottenheimer's relationship to San Diego when he left was about the same as when he left here-they were really going to let him go, but just pretended they were interested in him to improve his value if another team actually wanted him.

Archived