If We Keep Rex, Who Becomes GM?

kelticwizard

There's some sentiment around for keeping Rex and firing Idzik.  The Facebook page was full of "Keep Rex Fire Idzik" people.  Whether these people were Jets fans or fans of other teams is unclear.

Anyway, assuming that they do in fact keep Rex, the question is:  How?  We kept Rex when we got rid of our last GM, had Rex part of the GM interviewing process, and it's a disaster.  So the only conceivable ways we can keep Rex is either to make him GM as well, or hire someone as GM who has worked with Rex and who would, if hired by another team, would have the newly available Rex as one of his top coaching candidates.

Anybody know anyone like that?  A fellow who might be from the Buddy Ryan coaching tree who has moved up to the front office and who both has the credentials to be a legit GM candidate and who has worked successfully with Rex Ryan in the past?  Because I can't see any other way Rex keeps his job.

You can't keep Rex. We've already gone through 3 OCs and 2GMs.  I don't understand this mentality that Rex does no wrong.

I feel the same way.  I see all these posts about front office people, scouting people and all the rest, but nobody has come up with any suggestions.  If any of the Facebook people are correct and Rex will get hired right away as a head coach-the announcers on TV seemed to agree-then some GMs must like him.

In addition, everyone talks about poor Idzik being stuck with a head coach he didn't hire.  Rex got stuck with Schottenheimer.  Maybe he blew it with Sporano when Schottenheimer finally left, but still, nobody considers that.  And Schottenheimer's relationship to San Diego when he left was about the same as when he left here-they were really going to let him go, but just pretended they were interested in him to improve his value if another team actually wanted him.

You can't bring in another GM to be Rex's boss, with his own plan on how to save his own ass when the Rex ship eventually sinks. We saw what a failure that dynamic was with the Idzik hire. 

No, if you were gonna do that -if Rex was that valuable to your franchise at this point- you put him in charge of the whole show and have the personnel department report to him. If that was your plan, you could fire Idzik and keep the rest of the front office as currently instructed intact - at least for now. This is not in any way what I'd suggest they do, but IMHO it's the only way they could possibly go forward with Rex as the head coach. There's too much confusion around the so-called consensus in the front office as it's currently constructed, with the GM and HC obviously not on the same page. Having the front office report directly to Rex would at least eliminate that destructive dynamic. The big problem with that, though, is that Rex isn't a personnel guy, either. He'd construct a team of his friends and players who had a good day against him. 

You can't bring in another GM to be Rex's boss, with his own plan on how to save his own ass when the Rex ship eventually sinks. We saw what a failure that dynamic was with the Idzik hire.

No, if you were gonna do that -if Rex was that valuable to your franchise at this point- you put him in charge of the whole show and have the personnel department report to him. If that was your plan, you could fire Idzik and keep the rest of the front office as currently instructed intact - at least for now. This is not in any way what I'd suggest they do, but IMHO it's the only way they could possibly go forward with Rex as the head coach. There's too much confusion around the so-called consensus in the front office as it's currently constructed, with the GM and HC obviously not on the same page. Having the front office report directly to Rex would at least eliminate that destructive dynamic. The big problem with that, though, is that Rex isn't a personnel guy, either. He'd construct a team of his friends and players who had a good day against him.

I agree. At this point if they're going to keep Rex, they should just make him the GM and let Idzik manage the cap for him.

As much as I like Rex, I shudder at the thought of that becoming a reality. A nightmare scenario.

Barkus, on 22 Dec 2014 - 10:37 PM, said:

Are you serious? you sound like you want to keep rex and hire tannenbaum back?!?

Either Rex and Idzik are fired or only Rex is fired. No way he stays for a 3rd GM, I would imagine that has never happened in the history of the NFL. 

What's next, Tebow II?

If Rex comes back the franchise is done for a decade or more. Rex is as much to blame for this mess as Idzik. The entire front office and coaching staff needs to go.

I don't even see the why fans are so big with this guy he back into the playoffs the first 2 years if Peyton Manning wasn't sat the first year and a few teams didn't choke the secondo year Rex would be gone.

Archived