MMQB Article on Jameis

Matt39

With all the FA money available this offseason, the Jets should trade up to the number 1 spot. How many more years will they risk no chance for a SB? No doubt that Winston is the top QB prospect.

Trading or getting a Broken down QB in FA is unacceptable. With the current options at QB not trustworthy, Winston is an instant upgrade. What if the Pats trade into the number one spot and grab him?

Go get him Woody.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think think he's saying a QB will drop, he's saying that Jax won't take one, and Tenn might not. That would mean that one or both of those teams might be looking to trade down, and if the Jets are at #4, that would put them in prime position to trade up.

What would it cost to move up?  

With all the FA money available this offseason, the Jets should trade up to the number 1 spot. How many more years will they risk no chance for a SB? No doubt that Winston is the top QB prospect.

Trading or getting a Broken down QB in FA is unacceptable. With the current options at QB not trustworthy, Winston is an instant upgrade. What if the Pats trade into the number one spot and grab him?

Go get him Woody.

The Cheatriots have Garafalo as a back-upn I do not think they are looking for a QB...

What would it cost to move up?

You probably start with the RGIII trade as a guide. The Racialslurs traded up from #6 to #2, and it cost two additional first rounders and a second. Moving from #4 to #1 is less of a distance, but the #1 pick carries a premium. On the plus side for the Jets is that the RGIII trade has largely been considered something of a bust, so the price might go down a little bit next time.

Who's in charge is gonna play a huge factor, too. I wouldn't be shocked if the Jets packaged Mo Wilk in a deal to move up, and moved Coples back to DE. Especially if the new regime is thinking 4-3.

The Cheatriots have Garafalo as a back-upn I do not think they are looking for a QB...

Garafalo could be packaged. Winston could sit till Brady is through. Why risk it?

Tampa takes Mariota and Tennessee takes Winston two seconds later. Jets left out in the cold and take OT with QB prospect Bryce Petty in round two and Shock Linwood in third. A guard/center in fourth would be welcome. After that its a crapshoot.

Tampa takes Mariota and Tennessee takes Winston two seconds later. Jets left out in the cold and take OT with QB prospect Bryce Petty in round two and Shock Linwood in third. A guard/center in fourth would be welcome. After that its a crapshoot.

Cant see it. 

Tennesee is not taking Winston after the whole Vince Young debacle. That owner wont allow it. Tennesee is going to grab a vet QB and grab Gregory or Williams. 

Winston will be there for the Jets. The only question is we the new FO takes him or passes. Winston has dirt now - wait until draft season comes and hes over analyzed to death. He will absolutely be there for us, and Im hoping we grab him. 

Cant see it. 

Tennesee is not taking Winston after the whole Vince Young debacle. That owner wont allow it. Tennesee is going to grab a vet QB and grab Gregory or Williams. 

Winston will be there for the Jets. The only question is we the new FO takes him or passes. Winston has dirt now - wait until draft season comes and hes over analyzed to death. He will absolutely be there for us, and Im hoping we grab him.

Very interesting point. I'd think they'd try to trade the pick, though.

There's a long time between now and the draft. Winston needs a great bowl game, and then has to be on his best behavior for five months. If he can do that, he'll probably go in the first two picks.

That's the current nightmare scenario.  But the draft rarely turns out in April the way it looks like it will in December so I'm not getting worked up over that yet.  JAX is the one team that I could see taking Cooper ahead of us as they probably need a WR more than a pass rusher.  TEN is the wildcard.  They could go in any direction and because of that, seem like the most likely to trade down a bit.

And I absolutely agree.  If either of those QBs are available at our pick, we should take one (assuming nothing major changes before April, which it almost certainly will).

Robinson, Lee, Shorts, Hurd AND a returning Justin Blackmon (who might be the best WR in football not named Megatron)

I think they're okay.

Robinson - 548 yards, 2 TD

Lee - 414 yards, 1 TD

Shorts - 510 yards, 1 TD

Hurns - 662 yards, 6 TD 

AND a returning Justin Blackmon (who might be the best WR in football not named Megatron) - except he spends more time in court than in practice. 

I think they're okay.

I hope you're right, but I don't see anyone there to deter them from drafting a WR to help Bortles out. 

Successful NFL QBs are leaders of men. Leaders of men do not behave like criminals and petulant children. There is clearly enough smoke to know Winston is bad news. There is fire no matter how many different ways you "See! He is innocent!" people choose to rationalize it. Drafting him is a leap of faith. Faith is believing in something with the absence of evidence, logic, and reasoning. Investing a top five pick, several years, and millions of dollars on a leap of faith is a very poor choice.

Jets will take him and end up with a Brees/Rivers situation. They'll keep Geno because breakout 2015, and use Winston to acquire a Von Miller-esque pass rusher.

the Chargers were fools to not keep Brees.  Oh man, Brees with Gates and LT in 2006 would have been absolutely insane!

I like how ONE article has swayed so many posters' opinions of the guy.  We went from not wanting him, to trading MO to get him. 

Ridiculous. 

I like the idea of him.  Have to keep reminding myself that he's only 20.  He's goofy as sh*t. But that's cause he's 20, until early January.   

Successful NFL QBs are leaders of men. Leaders of men do not behave like criminals and petulant children. There is clearly enough smoke to know Winston is bad news. There is fire no matter how many different ways you "See! He is innocent!" people choose to rationalize it. Drafting him is a leap of faith. Faith is believing in something with the absence of evidence, logic, and reasoning. Investing a top five pick, several years, and millions of dollars on a leap of faith is a very poor choice.

Big Ben Roethlisberger says he wants to talk to you about something. In the women's restroom. 

To be fair, we had a moment here and there where QB was not our problem. Vinnie's one good year in '98 comes to mind. Chad was good enough before the injuries to get it done. But really, the only season where I felt really good about the position was '99 and that only lasted about 10 minutes until Vinnie blew out his Achilles. So since 1970, I've had 10 minutes of optimism at the QB position. 10 minutes in 44 seasons. Letting that sink in for a minute...

you had to feel good going into the 2003 season (chads first full year as a starter) when he was being compared to Montana

You take winston if he's there because either he pans out and becomes a franchise qb or he flames out and puts you in position to draft another one. He's a good enough talent to not need a perfect setup to succeed, and that's worth the risk on the off the field side. (Unlike a guy like manziel)

Brees' injury was scary, the same one that took out Pennington's shot at being a franchise QB. The Rivers is the man.

Pennington had no shot, which is why Brees became a franchise QB and Pennington became a franchise albatross

Archived