Casserly looking at Rich Kotite as HC of the Jets (Rumor)

nycdan

Really...as long as we're tossing complete bullsh-t rumors up here, why not go for the brass ring.  I sincerely doubt Charlie Casserly is talking to ANYONE, let alone media trolls about who he would replace an active NFL coach with while that coach was still working.  That's a huge no-no in any sport. 

Great move , he never had a fair shake it wasn't his fault what happened...bad qb play , bad drafting, and unspent cap dollars did him in...I've been terrified for years that he would wind up back in our division.

it was the best of times, it was the worst of times

http://www.nytimes.com/1995/01/06/sports/pro-football-owner-fills-up-the-jets-empty-tank-with-kotite.html

PRO FOOTBALL; Owner Fills Up the Jets' Empty Tank With Kotite

In a stunning and uncharacteristic move by the owner, Leon Hess, who said, "I'm 80 years old and I want results now," the Jets dismissed Coach Pete Carroll today after one season and replaced him with Rich Kotite.

"I'm entitled to some enjoyment, and that means winning," said Hess today, virtually branding the team as quitters under Carroll for their late-season collapse. Their five straight defeats insured a losing record for the 18th time in 35 seasons and entrenched the Jets' reputation as a perennial losing franchise.

The 52-year-old Kotite was discharged the day after Christmas following four seasons with the Philadelphia Eagles. They ended the season at 7-9 following seven straight losses. Over all, Kotite's Eagles were 36-28.

The Brooklyn-born Kotite, who will become the Jets' 10th head coach (not counting interim coaches), and their fourth since 1989, received a three-year contract. Hess virtually anointed Kotite, a Staten Island resident, as the man running the show.

Meanwhile, Hess seems ready to change general managers as well. It appears to be a matter of time before the ailing general manager, Dick Steinberg, is officially replaced. His status has already been eroded with Hess's unilateral decision to hire Kotite.

Kotite's longtime friend, Peter Hadhazy, is Kotite's choice for the job. Hadhazy, who has been in the National Football League since 1963, was the Cleveland Browns' general manager and hired Kotite as receiver coach in 1978. Hadhazy is the director of labor operations for the management council. Reached at his home tonight, Hadhazy declined to comment about whether he was talking with the Jets.

Hess is one of the most indulgent and compassionate owners in sport, traits that he carried over from his stewardship of the Amerada Hess Corporation, the international oil giant with $6 billion in annual sales. Throughout the team's years of misfortune, he has remained mostly in the background, rarely interfering in the franchise's football business.

So in moving so decisively this week, and in taking direct responsibility for the coaching change, Hess was stepping out of character.

But he was also falling back on a man who was a former assistant coach with the Jets and clearly someone with whom he was comfortable.

"I appoint Rich Kotite the leader, the coach, to bring the Jets back," said Hess. "Richie's the leader of the Jets' family."

That title nominally belonged to Steinberg, whom Hess hired in 1989 to head the football operation. But Steinberg learned recently that he has stomach cancer, and the treatment will affect his availability.

So while Steinberg hired Carroll, Hess decided, without Steinberg's concurrence, to remove the 43-year-old coach, who had brought a sideline energy and a sense of camaraderie to the moribund franchise. It wasn't enough, though, as the team posted its sixth straight nonwinning season.

Carroll, normally upbeat, sounded disappointed today, after being surprised Wednesday night when Hess gave him the news. He said in a telephone conference call that in one year it was impossible to turn around a franchise with a fragile psyche and history of losing.

"Unfortunately, I think the years of frustration breeds the impatience that Mr. Hess felt," said Carroll. "It was obvious we didn't share the same vision. It was going to take us longer than he was willing to endure."

And Carroll also pointed fingers. "I really wish I didn't give some guys so many opportunities to prove they could do it," he said. "They were talking a good game when they wanted to, but I wish we could have made the decisions earlier."

In hiring Kotite, the Jets have picked a head coach with a winning record in the N.F.L. for the first time in more than 30 years.

"Rich is a fighter, a builder, a 'deze' and 'doze' guy, a leader, bringing the New York Jets back," said Hess, who took over sole ownership of the Jets in 1984 after being involved with the franchise's development, as a part owner, since 1963.

Hess said the Jets "will play with the greatest determination, 60 minutes of every game, 16 games a season."

Kotite called his new position "a dream come true." He graduated from Poly Prep in Brooklyn, attended the University of Miami briefly (where he boxed) and graduated from Wagner College on Staten Island. He was a tight end and special-teamer on the Giants in 1967, left for the Steelers for a year and returned to the Giants from 1969 to 1972.

In his first game as head coach of the Eagles, Randall Cunningham was lost for the year and Kotite employed four other quarterbacks. The Eagles still went on to win 10 games. The Eagles posted an 11-5 record in his second season and made it to the second round of the playoffs. They were 8-8 in 1993.

"I'm not a genius," Kotite said. "I don't have all the answers. But if you have a team that you prepare, that plays hard for 60 minutes, you have a chance to succeed."

It is clear that his duties will encompass the draft and personnel moves, even though he does not have that title. With the Eagles, he was very active in drafting players until this year.

Steinberg's role will apparently be diminished. He would not comment on his reaction to Hess usurping his authority in naming Kotite, but said, "I just want to fit in and contribute to these guys and Richie in any way I can." He conceded that his presence on the club might not be constant because of "various types of treatments" for his cancer.

Kotite has been a particular favorite of Hess's since joining the Jets in 1983 as receiver coach. He eventually became offensive coordinator, but was swept out in the general housecleaning following the 1989 season, when the newly appointed Steinberg dismissed Coach Joe Walton and his staff.

Hess sounded like a longtime Jets fan today, emotionally describing the pain he felt when the team began its late-season collapse. And even if Kotite weren't available, he insisted, he would have dismissed Carroll anyway.

As he stood in the cold waiting for his limousine ride back to New York today, Hess nodded when asked if he had thought that the team stopped playing hard after its loss to the Dolphins.

That was on Nov. 27, in front of the largest home crowd in their history, when the Jets wasted a 24-6 lead, but were still 22 seconds away from defeating the Dolphins and sharing first place. Then all smiles stopped when Miami quarterback Dan Marino faked spiking the ball to stop the clock and surprised the Jets' defense by firing a touchdown pass. The Jets went on to lose that game and their remaining ones as well.

So when Hess was on vacation in the Bahamas during Christmas week, and heard that Kotite had been dismissed, the owner immediately telephoned him. The two men met last Monday, and Kotite -- who had previously spoken with the expansion Carolina Panthers about becoming their coach -- immediately accepted the Jets' offer.

"The main man was sick and I couldn't put it off any more," Hess said, explaining his decision to sidestep Steinberg.

Kotite is expected to bring several assistants with him, including Zeke Bratkowski, the offensive coordinator, and perhaps Bud Carson, the defensive coordinator. Both are former Jets' assistants.

Really...as long as we're tossing complete bullsh-t rumors up here, why not go for the brass ring.  I sincerely doubt Charlie Casserly is talking to ANYONE, let alone media trolls about who he would replace an active NFL coach with while that coach was still working.  That's a huge no-no in any sport. 

Starting this thread is banworthy. 

Good to see you nycdan.  The rumor is, more like fact, Casserly was hired to find the Famous Jets a new GM.  I think it would be Idzik's jod to replace Rex.  It's a good sign.

LINK????????????????????? Post a LINK????????????????????????

lol.

LINK????????????????????? Post a LINK????????????????????????

lol.

If I had the time, I'd make a mock page that would rock your world.  But alas, I don't so you'll have to trust me.  Kotite is coming.  And he plans to double his win totals from last time. 

Archived