Some good things...

BlakeSpenceBlockedPunt

There are a couple developments that have actually broken right for the Jets and will help as we start the process of rebuilding our football team and football operations:

• The 49ers and Harbaugh being at odds.  The guy has had tremendous success wherever he's been and it looks like he'll be available.  I genuinely believe if he hits the market we will at least get a sit down, which means we can literally not let him leave the building.  

• Coughlin returning to NYG - thank goodness we don't have to deal with the comparisons of how the Jets and Giants are going about conducting a coaching search.  Having the Giants job (with their history, etc.) open at the same time as the Jets job would have hurt our chances of landing the best candidate out there.  They have some things we don't (a 2x SB winning QB, stable ownership, tradition, etc.) that would have been difficult to overcome.  Now we may be able to use the lure of the NY market to draw the best candidate.

• Winston having character issues and our draft position.  Jags and Raiders most likely won't go QB that high in the draft.  Tennessee and Tampa most surely will.  Jets will be in the mix to make a move or potentially have Winston drop to them if teams are concerned about his off field stuff.  Not out of the realm of possibility for teams to fall out of love with him after he gets slaughtered in the press during the pre-draft buildup.  That's the player I want in this draft and there's a legitimate chance we can get him.

Think about it.  Harbaugh is under contract.  Coughlin should get fired.  Winston is a clear cut franchise QB if not for the off field issues.  However, there are circumstances that are at play with each situation that are good things as we head out of the Rex era and hopefully into a period of sustained success and football sanity.

Harbaugh isn't coming to save the Jets. He wouldn't be able to wear khakis all the time.

No matter if the Giants had an opening or not, the Jets are not a place that is an alluring position. Also, the Jets are almost guaranteed to not land the best candidate out there because it won't be the best job available.

Winston has a ton of talent and upside. Is the risk worth the reward? And there is nothing about him that says clear cut franchise QB even if he was a saint off the field. He has plenty of on field issues as well.

I know Pryor and Landry "are on drugs", but the truth is we have a team that lost winnable games. 

One Score Losses:

Green Bay:  L  31-24  --seven points

Chicago: L  27-19   --eight points

Detroit: L  24-17  --seven points.

New England: L  25-27  --two points

Miami:  L  16-13  --three points

Minnesota:  L  30-24  --OT, but six points

New England:  L 17-16  --one point

We were "in" seven of the games we lost.  That could have made for a ten win season.  I hate to say it, but the refs affected the first QTR of the season in all of our games.  Geno lost a couple.  ST lost a couple.  Defense lost a couple.  But as a whole, this team put up a decent amount of fight in at least ten of our games this season.  The eleventh is yet to be seen.  But usually, "10 and you're in."  It would have been good enough for a wild card spot this year.

Can you imagine how good we could be with a healthy secondary, less penalties on the OL, and some shored up positions (QB, WR2, and better TE play)?  

Some more good things for next year:

1. $45+ Million in cap space

2. CB Williams could be keeper as he has been consistent for about 6 games

3. Front 7 returning is very effective whether it be a 4-3 or 3-4 (Maybe some more help at OLB to keep building there)

4. LG Oboushi seems pretty good overall.

5. Our running game is as solid as they come.

6. We have pretty good receiving players at WR/TE (Though we can still get/improve more) so we just need better QB play (easier said than done as we see)

If Charlie C. gets our FO straight and we get a decent coach being that we pick top 5 in every round we need some good picks in this draft and perhaps we can have this turned around sooner rather than later. 

Geno's looking confident and, from the admittedly little I've seen, seems to be making progress. I obviously think the guy can be a high quality starter in this league. He can make all the throws, he's an above average athlete for the position, has better size than I thought, takes a hit well and doesn't come back sh*tting his pants like Sanchez would...I want to draft Winston anyway, but that is just because having two quality starting NFL QB prospects does not hurt.

Some more good things for next year:

1. $45+ Million in cap space

2. CB Williams could be keeper as he has been consistent for about 6 games

3. Front 7 returning is very effective whether it be a 4-3 or 3-4 (Maybe some more help at OLB to keep building there)

4. LG Oboushi seems pretty good overall.

5. Our running game is as solid as they come.

6. We have pretty good receiving players at WR/TE (Though we can still get/improve more) so we just need better QB play (easier said than done as we see)

If Charlie C. gets our FO straight and we get a decent coach being that we pick top 5 in every round we need some good picks in this draft and perhaps we can have this turned around sooner rather than later.

I agree. With better coaching, a decent draft, and even just an average QB this can be a 9-10 win team.

Sean Payton may be available too. Plus it looks like there may not be many HC spots open around the league this year or GM for that matter. Jets should theoretically be able to build the beginning of a competent coaching and front office staff this offseason.

Geno's looking confident and, from the admittedly little I've seen, seems to be making progress. I obviously think the guy can be a high quality starter in this league. He can make all the throws, he's an above average athlete for the position, has better size than I thought, takes a hit well and doesn't come back sh*tting his pants like Sanchez would...I want to draft Winston anyway, but that is just because having two quality starting NFL QB prospects does not hurt.

Geno is gone.

I must have been watching a different player than you. I have seen very little progression. The game is lightning fast to him and has no field awareness. Taking that Sack against the pats tells you all you need to know.

Sanchez was waaaaaaaay more nervous and jittery on the field than Geno. Geno has the arm and feel to make all the throws, Sanchez would rocket a ball three feet to Shonn Greene.

Idk what you are watching. Geno has shown less than Ryan Leaf at this point.

There are a couple developments that have actually broken right for the Jets and will help as we start the process of rebuilding our football team and football operations:

• The 49ers and Harbaugh being at odds.  The guy has had tremendous success wherever he's been and it looks like he'll be available.  I genuinely believe if he hits the market we will at least get a sit down, which means we can literally not let him leave the building.  

• Coughlin returning to NYG - thank goodness we don't have to deal with the comparisons of how the Jets and Giants are going about conducting a coaching search.  Having the Giants job (with their history, etc.) open at the same time as the Jets job would have hurt our chances of landing the best candidate out there.  They have some things we don't (a 2x SB winning QB, stable ownership, tradition, etc.) that would have been difficult to overcome.  Now we may be able to use the lure of the NY market to draw the best candidate.

• Winston having character issues and our draft position.  Jags and Raiders most likely won't go QB that high in the draft.  Tennessee and Tampa most surely will.  Jets will be in the mix to make a move or potentially have Winston drop to them if teams are concerned about his off field stuff.  Not out of the realm of possibility for teams to fall out of love with him after he gets slaughtered in the press during the pre-draft buildup.  That's the player I want in this draft and there's a legitimate chance we can get him.

Think about it.  Harbaugh is under contract.  Coughlin should get fired.  Winston is a clear cut franchise QB if not for the off field issues.  However, there are circumstances that are at play with each situation that are good things as we head out of the Rex era and hopefully into a period of sustained success and football sanity.

WHY do you want Winston.?  He had 4 incidents in 2 years in college. They covered for him.  He's used to everyone letting him slide. Very immature.  In NYC, he could cause an incident with the cheerleaders his first week. We need

a face of the franchise guy.  I would rather get a Hoyer or Matt Moore as veteran presence, and get Bret Hundley or similar type later in draft for development.

WHY do you want Winston.?  He had 4 incidents in 2 years in college. They covered for him.  He's used to everyone letting him slide. Very immature.  In NYC, he could cause an incident with the cheerleaders his first week. We need

a face of the franchise guy.  I would rather get a Hoyer or Matt Moore as veteran presence, and get Bret Hundley or similar type later in draft for development.

I want a QB that has legitimate NFL talent and ability.  I'm not looking for choir boys and role models.  I'm looking for talent.  I'm willing to take my chances after that.  Think about who we have had playing the position.  In the NFL today you have to have a top flight QB.  I think Winston will be a top flight QB.  Warren Sapp.  Randy Moss.  Both players that dropped because of "character concerns".  How'd that work out?  I'm willing to take that risk.  You want to go into the season with Matt Moore and a later round QB developmental pick.  Let me guess...you want Rex back too, right?

Archived