Report: Both Rex and Idzik Will be Fired Monday Morning

JetsFanatic

This is a great opportunity for the Jets franchise to reboot and move in the right direction.  I think Woody is doing the right thing by bringing in football guys like Casserly and Wolf to spearhead the search for the next GM. While there is no such thing as a "sure thing" the odds increase when knowledgeable professionals are spearheading the selection process.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a great opportunity for the Jets franchise to reboot and move in the right direction.  I think Woody is doing the right thing by bringing in football guys like Casserly and Wolf to spearhead the search for the next GM. While there is no such thing as a "sure thing" the odds increase when knowledgeable professionals are spearheading the selection process.

A lot better than Korn/Ferry, a firm with ZERO knowledge of NFL football.  For them to recommend Idzik is grounds for a malpractice suit.

Love me some Rex, but there was never any feasible way to keep him beyond this season.

And that love isn't so blind that I don't know that he needs to be kept away from the personnel decisions. He's definitely a cook who needs the groceries brought in for him. Teaming him up with a pair of accountants pretending to be GMs couldn't've been worse for him or the team.

Hoping Casserly and Wolf earn their consulting fees. We haven't had a competent GM in here since forever.

Love me some Rex, but there was never any feasible way to keep him beyond this season.

And that love isn't so blind that I don't know that he needs to be kept away from the personnel decisions. He's definitely a cook who needs the groceries brought in for him. Teaming him up with a pair of accountants pretending to be GMs couldn't've been worse for him or the team.

Hoping Casserly and Wolf earn their consulting fees. We haven't had a competent GM in here since forever.

But, on the flip side, working with Rex has been good for so many people's careers.

Zoom28, on 24 Dec 2014 - 2:17 PM, said:

I actually enjoyed this season. Nothing is worse, in my opinion, than knowing you aren't going to win anything relevant, i.e. Division title or a playoff game.  9 and 10 win seasons suck. I would rather suffer for an entire year or two, knowing they will clean house and give us a better shot at building a contender. 

Sorry to say it,  not caring if the Jets were going to win each week made my NFL season much more enjoyable.

+1

This report is stupid and I don't believe it.

The job of the scouts is to find the talent, and rank it. At the end of the season the position coaches along with the C0od and the HC (for the top prospects) visit the players the scouts ranked and determine how they fit the schemes and techniques that the coaching staff uses. The GM then sets the board based on input from both his scouts and the coaching staff.

When the players are being chosen draft day the consensus on the big board ranking is already established and there should be no discourse unless the GM deviates from the big board. Now put a HC whose job is in the hands of the guy ultimately setting the board and who did not want you to begin with, and you expect Rex to be jumping up and shouting at his new boss.

Well then maybe since Woody was born into a position in life that he never had to answer to a boss, he probably is not to familiar with the dynamic that new bosses are not to be trifled with. 

Of known knowns, unknown knowns and unknown unknowns. 

That all sounds very sensible, how it should work. Simply we don't know what really makes the final call. We do know Idiot Johnson is way too involved and even now still loves Rex Ryan. We know that the Jets' drafts have been overloaded with defensive linemen and DBs. We know Tannebaum was basically a contract guy who allowed  rBradway and Ryan broad say. We know Idizik was worse; anyone can cut payroll, doing so while building a team is the real trick. And we know that Bradway has dropped broad hints he wanted Russell Wilson and was not listened to or overruled, though he doesn't say by whom. How much is Bradway trying to make himself look great retroactively or the truth remains to be seen. 

This is a small thing, but we know Ryan runs the sideline like an emotional 6 year old on a sugar high, be it wasted timeouts, no halftime a adjustments, pointless challenges and general chaos. Would appear there is no one who has told Rex Ryan no in 6 years. Granted looks like the people he was working with were little better at their own jobs. And for that Woody Johnson above all is really the problem. And I have no idea how any franchise can dump an owner who insists on running his team instead of trusting seasoned pros to do it. All we know is this does not work. 

As I reported on JI several weeks ago, Idzik is going to get fired.  The decision was made a while ago.  

And as far as personnel goes, Rex was neutered the second Idzik became GM.  Rex had a lot of say with Tannenbaum, not so much with Idzik.  Also, Woody likes Rex, but the Jets need an overhaul.  You can't have a coach who is coaching for his job while you have a team that is in rebuild, so it's best for Rex and the Jets to part ways.

I hope your right I would prefer to hear Casserly is talking to GM candidates rather than HC candidates. I will believe Idzik is fired when I hear it from Woody until then this is all speculation.

Archived