Rex's personality fooled Woody into thinking he was HC material

ebonix

Lots of people are pleading for his return.  Pretty well all the media will be.  The rex lovers on this site are a bit gutless if you ask me.  They are supporting him on all things, blaming everyting on idzik and yet refuse to come out and say he should be back for sure.  They say dumb things like 'Rex is a great coach who was dealt a terrible hand but it is time for him to go.'  Ass coverers for the most part.  Don't want to be wrong about it either way,

No one is pleading for his return. The media are not people. They are an entity trying to drive sales with phony storylines 

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where did the impression come from that Jets fans want Rex back? Yes, he is a like able guy whom you want to root for, but he has many shortcomings as head coach. It's time for a change.

Idziot, aside from not knowing what a cornerback does, took some bad gambles and lost (drafting injury-prone college players, signing Dmitri Patterson as our 1 CB,etc.). He's definitely gotta go

He had accountants as GM's, one of whom didn't listen to Bradway when he said to draft Wilson..

Rex has a ton of flaws, but pretending that he wasn't hampered by the QB's we drafted is silly. You yourself were calling Chip Kelly a king maker 3 months ago, he got check mated with Sanchez under center.

He got check mated because his D wore down and fell apart against better competition. Sound familiar ??

Wrong. Rex is third all time in road playoff wins. Do you know how difficult it is to win road playoff games? Good head coaches have a hard enough time winning on the road in the playoffs.

Oh, and the consensus around the league is that Rex is a good head coach. He will get another head coaching job.

The only reason Rex has road playoff wins is because he was not good enough during the season to have home playoff games.

"Good" HC's don't have to worry about road playoff games.

Lots of people are pleading for his return.  Pretty well all the media will be.  The rex lovers on this site are a bit gutless if you ask me.  They are supporting him on all things, blaming everyting on idzik and yet refuse to come out and say he should be back for sure.  They say dumb things like 'Rex is a great coach who was dealt a terrible hand but it is time for him to go.'  Ass coverers for the most part.  Don't want to be wrong about it either way,

this all stems from from the idzik vs rex debate. a lot of people like rex,believe it not, and believe he is not the absolute worst thing that ever happened to the jets,like some believe. rex IS great at some levels of coaching, and he is awful at others,imo, making him no worse than average. like I stated in the past numerous times, the jets could do better than rex at the head coaching position, but then again, they could do worse. a lot of anti-rex people believe that if you just replace rex with anybody, its a win. that is just not true. I have seen posters on this board refer to rex as a cockroach and even  gone as far as to call rex a horrible,over-rated defensive coordinator. really? there is enough reason to want rex fired besides making sh*t up. and rex will be fired. this was obvious as far away as 2 months ago

as far as rex being dealt a bad hand this year,well, he was. idzik has no place in a gm's office .he has no qualifications, and was over promoted. his moves to this point prove this. idziks gm career is completely over as fast as he got it. and rightfully so

in a perfect world, Johnson cleans house and hopefully brings in the right people. however, gun to my head and I could only fire either rex or idzik, well, imo, the choice is obvious. I think a lot of people think the way I do, and to some, it appears to come across as being a "rex lover".

Lots of people are pleading for his return. Pretty well all the media will be. The rex lovers on this site are a bit gutless if you ask me. They are supporting him on all things, blaming everyting on idzik and yet refuse to come out and say he should be back for sure. They say dumb things like 'Rex is a great coach who was dealt a terrible hand but it is time for him to go.' Ass coverers for the most part. Don't want to be wrong about it either way,

Rex haters are no better, and if fact worse. It's gotten to the point where haters are saying Rex isn't even a good D coordinator which is absurd.

Tell me exactly what is wrong with someone liking Rex but saying it's time to move on

and those Playoff wins that he had wasnt with players that he brought in outside of Bart Scott.

well, he did bring in the player at the most important position on the field and won in spite of him. mangini didn't win with mangini players. rex is better than mangini at coaching, anyways

well, he did bring in the player at the most important position on the field and won in spite of him. mangini didn't win with mangini players. rex is better than mangini at coaching, anyways

What does this mean, that Rex should stay as coach? Because if not then whats the point of the statement? And im not trying to come off as a tool by asking the question. Im simply saying that either Rex needs to stay or go, and I find more reasons why the Jets need a new HC more than I find reasons for Rex to stay HC of this team. 

I agree with this. I really like Rex but he isn't a head coach. Time and time again he's proven this. One of his latest examples that stood out to me is when Vick said that he wasnt ready to play against the Chargers when most of the football world knew that if Geno struggled in the first have that Vick would be playing in the 2nd half. Rex response to such irresponsibility was "It was man of him to admit that". A legit head coach would have #1. known that his player(s) wasnt prepared because he would have been part of the preparation and #2 a guy who didnt get prepared would have been dealt with. Rex Ryan put a guy on the field that not only admitted he wasnt ready, which is an indictment on every offensive coach/coordinator, but Rex didnt even know that he wasnt ready simply by putting him in the game which shows that he's not on top of what he needs to be on top of as a head coach in the first place. 

Rex Ryan has a unique skill, he can design a defense, but he isn't a leader of men, which is what a head coach needs to be. And its absolutely okay for him not to be a leader of men in regards to being a head coach, someone has to be the defensive coordinator. Rex needs a more low key, specific role and thats where he succeeds the most. I think thats what the GM in Baltimore sensed and thats why he didnt give Rex the HC position back when they were looking for a coach. He knew Rex and that personality that you speak of and he knew that being a leader of men meant that you can't be friends with all of them. 

Very well written.  That is the response I was looking for, with this slightly odd posting.   At various times in six years ,Rex has told us this this guy was the best OT at his position , or

another guy was the best Guard; or we had the best DL or RB or whatever.  He always oversold the talent on the field.   As you allude to -- he was more Team Promoter than Coach who Develops a Real Team.     With few exceptions; players never developed on the Jets--

esp. the offense, ( which got worse and worse as the last 4 years dragged on.)   Well as we all know-- change is coming; Happy 2015 , everyone.  

He got check mated because his D wore down and fell apart against better competition. Sound familiar ??

Very few teams can have powerhouse offense and defense, Philly structured to out score opponents .. Sanchez failed

The only reason Rex has road playoff wins is because he was not good enough during the season to have home playoff games.

"Good" HC's don't have to worry about road playoff games.

What kind of dumb response is this?  That doesn't change the fact that it's really difficult to win playoff games on the road.

Belicheat is 3-3 in road playoff games with the Patriots.  That should tell you plenty

I certainly do know how difficult it is. Its as difficult as making the playoffs to begin with, which Rex hasn't made the playoffs in a half decade. I can care less what the consensus is because I value my opinion over theirs at the end of the day. Rex Ryan is a GREAT defensive coach. He's a good coach with all the pieces around, but its also hard to find a coach who isn't good with all the pieces around. This team decayed with him at the head, and those Playoff wins that he had wasnt with players that he brought in outside of Bart Scott. 

With all of the pieces?  He's got 4 playoff win with Mark Sanchez as his QB.  Think about that.  And that's over Brady, Manning, Rivers, Palmer.

That was a half decade ago. He's done nothing since then, he's developed none of the players drafted, they've regressed pretty much every year as a team. See my point? 

Who hasn't been developed?  There have been some terrible picks.  If you suck, no one is going to develop you.  Ducasse, Hill, Sanchez.  What have they done since they've left the Jets?

Also, how can you say that none of the player have developed?  Wilkerson, Harrison, Richardson, Kerley, Aboushi, AA, Demario Davis have all become keepers.

Who hasn't been developed?  There have been some terrible picks.  If you suck, no one is going to develop you.  Ducasse, Hill, Sanchez.  What have they done since they've left the Jets?

Also, how can you say that none of the player have developed?  Wilkerson, Harrison, Richardson, Kerley, Aboushi, AA, Demario Davis have all become keepers.

Its pretty easy to have a 1st round pick develop. Coaches dont make their mark because 1st round picks like Wilkerson and Richardson pan out, be serious here. its the 3rd-7th round pick ups that you turn into players that really impacts your team. Aboushi we're not even sure if he is a starter, though he does look better than Winters. Demario Davis is solid, Kerley is a slot receiver but has been here since 2011 and had just over 2000 yards and 7 TD's. Not mind blowing at all, Antonio Allen is a nice pick up, but he's no Kam Chancellor.  I guess you think this is how you build a football team in 6 years. The problem with you sympathizers is that when things are right then its all Rex, when things aren't its everyone else except Rex. Rex coached a team down the toilet bowl, he's a great defensive coach but he simply isn't a head coach. 

Its pretty easy to have a 1st round pick develop. Coaches dont make their mark because 1st round picks like Wilkerson and Richardson pan out, be serious here. its the 3rd-7th round pick ups that you turn into players that really impacts your team. Aboushi we're not even sure if he is a starter, though he does look better than Winters. Demario Davis is solid, Kerley is a slot receiver but has been here since 2011 and had just over 2000 yards and 7 TD's. Not mind blowing at all, Antonio Allen is a nice pick up, but he's no Kam Chancellor.  I guess you think this is how you build a football team in 6 years. The problem with you sympathizers is that when things are right then its all Rex, when things aren't its everyone else except Rex. Rex coached a team down the toilet bowl, he's a great defensive coach but he simply isn't a head coach. 

So who wasn't "developed"?  All I see is a bunch of bad picks that couldn't hack it anywhere.

And he isn't a head coach?  Start listing the coaches with more road playoff wins.  There's a reason that the list isn't very long.

Reality?  Start pointing out the players who weren't "developed" who are tearing it up on other teams.  Gholston? HIll? Ducasse?  

Ducasse had his best year this year as a Viking. Jalen Saunders is looking like the part now that he's running back kickoffs 99 yards and breaking off 30+ yard punt returns for New Orleans. Sanchez looks better than Geno out there in Philly. 

As for Stephen Hill, he shouldn't have even been a F'ing Jet. That pick should have been Alshon Jeffery, anyone who's known me on this site during that draft year can tell you how f'ing Irate I was to see that. But I wont take that out on Rex because it was an offensive player and not a defensive CB. How about Kyle Wilson? lol

Let me say this, there's no need for me to go back and forth with you. Rex Ryan will be fired in a few days and he'll have another job 15 mins afterwards. So at the end of the day the Jets will be making the right decision, no matter who sympathizes with Rex because the love his personality. 

So who wasn't "developed"?  All I see is a bunch of bad picks that couldn't hack it anywhere.

And he isn't a head coach?  Start listing the coaches with more road playoff wins.  There's a reason that the list isn't very long.

Most of those picks were exactly that, busts. Rex Ryan was in those rooms picking some of these "busts" that couldn't hack it anywhere else. Why do you think Connor is back on the Jets? Kyle Wilson is probably the worst Corner in the league based on where he was drafted. Quinton Coples was a Rex pick. How is that working out? Rex has gone as far as to take the guy out of position, further destroying the development of Coples. Josh Bush was also a Rex Ryan Pick. 

The only picks that I can say that worked out in relation to their draft positions that Rex had a personal hand in was Kendrick Ellis and Demario Davis. And with that said, Ellis is not an every down tackle and is strictly situational, and Davis is a nice LB but nothing at all spectacular. He can easily be replaced. 

You can't be serious. 

Ducasse had his best year this year as a Viking. Jalen Saunders is looking like the part now that he's running back kickoffs 99 yards and breaking off 30+ yard punt returns for New Orleans. Sanchez looks better than Geno out there in Philly. 

As for Stephen Hill, he shouldn't have even been a F'ing Jet. That pick should have been Alshon Jeffery, anyone who's known me on this site during that draft year can tell you how f'ing Irate I was to see that. But I wont take that out on Rex because it was an offensive player and not a defensive CB. How about Kyle Wilson? lol

Let me say this, there's no need for me to go back and forth with you. Rex Ryan will be fired in a few days and he'll have another job 15 mins afterwards. So at the end of the day the Jets will be making the right decision, no matter who sympathizes with Rex because the love his personality. 

Ducasse is AWFUL and is still awful.

Ducasse took part in the Week 6 embarrassment, filling in at right guard for Fusco before ceding the job to Joe Berger. Now the Vikings could be relying on both backup guards against one of the league's best defensive tackle tandems, positioned on either side of center John Sullivan

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Vikings_likely_to_start_fifth_different_Oline_combination_on_Sunday121114

Jalen Saunders?  He showed why he was a terrible pick during that punt return.  He's 155lbs and doesn't have big time speed (he was caught before he was able to score).

And yeah, Sanchez is really tearing it up in Philly, with his 13 TDs and 14 TOs.

Ducasse is AWFUL and is still awful.

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Vikings_likely_to_start_fifth_different_Oline_combination_on_Sunday121114

Jalen Saunders?  He showed why he was a terrible pick during that punt return.  He's 155lbs and doesn't have big time speed (he was caught before he was able to score).

And yeah, Sanchez is really tearing it up in Philly, with his 13 TDs and 14 TOs.

Yet New Orleans will take his 99 yard return over ours. How many 99 yard returns have we had this year? lol. 

Look, Rex Ryan will be fired in a few days. Im not arguing with a person who's entire point is based on the fact that he's won 4 road playoff games in 2009 and 2010. Rex is so good that he couldn't even get a home playoff game. He's so good that he hasnt seen the playoffs since winning 4 road playoff games. He's so good that he drafts defense every single year in the draft and wonder why his offense sucks...yet still finds a way to have holes everywhere on defense. 

Have the last word today, my next word will come on Monday. 

One thing about the 2009 AFCG appearance. Remember Polian made Caldwell pull Manning out of the game the Jets needed to win to get into the playoffs. The Jets were way behind at halftime, and Indy came out in the 2nd half with Curtis Painter at QB. Had Manning not been pulled, we lose that game and are eliminated from playoff contention. Just wonder if Rex would still have been here this long had what really should have happened; happened. How you pull Manning out of a RS game at halftime is mind boggling.

Beerfish, on 25 Dec 2014 - 11:34 AM, said:

One thing about the 2009 AFCG appearance. Remember Polian made Caldwell pull Manning out of the game the Jets needed to win to get into the playoffs. The Jets were way behind at halftime, and Indy came out in the 2nd half with Curtis Painter at QB. Had Manning not been pulled, we lose that game and are eliminated from playoff contention. Just wonder if Rex would still have been here this long had what really should have happened; happened. How you pull Manning out of a RS game at halftime is mind boggling.

Indy was undefeated too.

One thing about the 2009 AFCG appearance. Remember Polian made Caldwell pull Manning out of the game the Jets needed to win to get into the playoffs. The Jets were way behind at halftime, and Indy came out in the 2nd half with Curtis Painter at QB. Had Manning not been pulled, we lose that game and are eliminated from playoff contention. Just wonder if Rex would still have been here this long had what really should have happened; happened. How you pull Manning out of a RS game at halftime is mind boggling.

Ash, the game was only 9-3 in favor of the Colts at halftime.

But your point remains valid.

The power of personality is astounding and very real. If Rex’s body of work was exactly the same and he had Mike Smith’s personality, would you want him back? I’d guess 0.0 percent of Jets fans would say yes. Eric Mangini left town to nearly unanimous cheers from fans despite going 9-7 and having the same amount of winning seasons in three years that Rex had in six. Rex is about to go 3-13 and some are still pleading for his return. The power of personality."

100% true

Not really. That was the last time the Jets had a roster worth a damn.

And Rex presided over the ruin of the roster, round and round we go, where we'll stop... Who gives a ****?

Rex and everyone else earned being fired by making us worse than the Raiders. Why do you guys insist on toiling over this daily. Becoming worse than the Raiders is an absolute deal-breaker. No amount of message board nonsense can change that.

Archived