Rex's personality fooled Woody into thinking he was HC material

ebonix

So who wasn't "developed"?  All I see is a bunch of bad picks that couldn't hack it anywhere.

And he isn't a head coach?  Start listing the coaches with more road playoff wins.  There's a reason that the list isn't very long.

Really terrifying that there are still so many fans still are in love with Rex

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who hasn't been developed?  There have been some terrible picks.  If you suck, no one is going to develop you.  Ducasse, Hill, Sanchez.  What have they done since they've left the Jets?

Also, how can you say that none of the player have developed?  Wilkerson, Harrison, Richardson, Kerley, Aboushi, AA, Demario Davis have all become keepers.

REXs defense can't stop a nose bleed. we haven't stopped a 2 minute offense in years.... And it's not just this year.

One of the reasons we are below average. we have fans who accept it.

management is so bad, Woody,mREX and Idzik.

we haven't had a GM in 35 years worth a crap.

They will only accept it if they like the personality. For the most part, Herm was detested even though he was basically Rex as far as a HC goes, and Mangini was run out of town despite having 2 winning seasons out of 3 years. 

Sanchez, who is basically the QB equivalent of Rex as a HC, was run out of town long before Rex, why? Sanchez is a good looking Mexican goof ball, while Rex is a big mouth, who looks like a beer drinking slob that most Jet fans would hang out with at their tailgates.

..yardbarker.com       by Joe Caparoso

"Let’s be clear, Geno Smith stinks at football right now because he stinks at football, not because of quotes but no players have developed here for a long time, outside of defensive lineman. The resume of players developed at other positions is basically an average inside linebacker (Demaio Davis), a backup running back (Bilal Powell) and the team’s slot receiver (Jeremy Kerley). This is part of the problem.

People are exhausted of the Rex onslaught but this is an organizational problem that needs to change, and Rex has been the dominant figure in the organization the past six years. I still see many Jets fans, including some sensible ones, who are willing to bring Rex back with a 3rd GM, 4th OC, 3rd QB and 3rd DC. That is insanity. You want to fire Idzik to clean house and start over? I hear your argument. Fair. Keeping Rex? People need to take off the sentimental goggles.

The power of personality is astounding and very real. If Rex’s body of work was exactly the same and he had Mike Smith’s personality, would you want him back? I’d guess 0.0 percent of Jets fans would say yes. Eric Mangini left town to nearly unanimous cheers from fans despite going 9-7 and having the same amount of winning seasons in three years that Rex had in six. Rex is about to go 3-13 and some are still pleading for his return. The power of personality."

And the sheer stupidity of others. Rex has made a litany of mistakes in his tenure. Like you said 3 OC's, 2 GM's, a pair of young QB's who were never given proper instruction. Look at the draft picks six first rounders. With six first round draft picks on defense the Jets should resemble the 1985 Bears - do they? Rex has got to go. I could even live with keeping Idzik if it meant Rex was gone though I think a total housecleaning is what is needed.

The only reason Rex has road playoff wins is because he was not good enough during the season to have home playoff games.

"Good" HC's don't have to worry about road playoff games.

First year Rex got a free pass to the playoffs.  His first opponent had just laid down with a zero effort against the Jets the week before, and the Bengals also NEVER win playoff games.  How Marvin Lewis is still there is beyond me.They did a good job in San Diego, but I think it was a good matchup too.  Jets had played well there in the past.  Second year he earned a trip to the playoffs. Beat good teams in the playoffs.  Both AFCC games he had the team ready to play one half.  I look at Rex as 1 for 6, not 2 for 6 or 2 for 6 and an almost.  Rex is a DC.  He cannot multi task.  He is not great at adjusting to other team's adjustments either.  And he ignored his offense, which was a cardinal sin.  But he will be gone in 3 days. Why fret about it anymore?

Yes I do Hermie had Vinny and Chad,Coles,Wayne Abe,Ellis,Mo,Jordan,Martin,Mawae etc plus Rex would have used a RB Tandem Martin wouldn't be getting 360+ carries.. Go check that 2001 roster again and think it over.. Rex started his HC career without a QB maybe you don't think that was important??

Rex would have been better off with Herm's team than Mangini's. Eric Mangini allowed the QB situation in NY become about Brett Favre and his ONE YEAR deal. He let CP go to Miami and failed to draft a replacement (Flacco) and put all his eggs in Favre's basket. Mangini got what he deserved and so will Rex. I agree that Rex lovers have a point that he wasn't given the tools to succeed this year, but please tell me something POSITIVE that Rex accomplished during his tenure, don't just ell me he was undermined.

It's too bad the NFL changed the rules and made throwback Rex obsolete...not his fault or ours he was born 25 years late.

Time to go with the flow. Need an O can score 30 a game. Need to overhaul the concept of "play like a jet", it's not about hard hitting and defense it's now about speed, fancy acrobatic catches, it's a finesse game today. Reminds me of the early 90's Knicks when the NBA screwed us out of a dynasty by outlawing tough defense and intimidation. You just can't fight city hall.

@RichCimini: Most turnovers by a QB over the last 2 seasons: Eli Manning 46, Geno Smith 40, Andy Dalton 40, Jay Cutler 39, per @ESPNStatsInfo. #nyj

@RichCimini: QB records under Rex Ryan: Mark Sanchez 33-29, Geno Smith 10-18, Michael Vick 1-2, Kellen Clemens 1-0, Greg McElroy 0-1. #nyj

It's too bad the NFL changed the rules and made throwback Rex obsolete...not his fault or ours he was born 25 years late.

Time to go with the flow. Need an O can score 30 a game. Need to overhaul the concept of "play like a jet", it's not about hard hitting and defense it's now about speed, fancy acrobatic catches, it's a finesse game today. Reminds me of the early 90's Knicks when the NBA screwed us out of a dynasty by outlawing tough defense and intimidation. You just can't fight city hall.

Not even sure thats true....  we were in several games this year and simply turned it over.  If we could convert in the red zone 1 to 2 times more per game, that would be enough. One less turnover, one FG converted to a TD.  Wonder what a difference that would make?

I'm pretty sure it was Rex's post season success that 'fooled' Woody into thinking he was head coaching material.

The guy is going to get fired regardless of you guys piling onto the guy. Give it a rest. He gave Jets fans some great seasons as head coach.

I agree with everybody that it's time for a change but for people to act like Rex was a disaster is insane.

Leave the dude alone, say thanks for the memories, and let the guy go off on his way in a couple of days. It's pointless to sit here and bash the guy at this point.

Not even sure thats true....  we were in several games this year and simply turned it over.  If we could convert in the red zone 1 to 2 times more per game, that would be enough. One less turnover, one FG converted to a TD.  Wonder what a difference that would make?

The problem is that in a watered down conservative O like Rex prefers to play , the mistakes he's desperately trying to avoid get magnified. To win those close games, the team has to consistently win the turnover battle, something Rex's teams have been unable to do.

I'm pretty sure it was Rex's post season success that 'fooled' Woody into thinking he was head coaching material.

The guy is going to get fired regardless of you guys piling onto the guy. Give it a rest. He gave Jets fans some great seasons as head coach.

I agree with everybody that it's time for a change but for people to act like Rex was a disaster is insane.

Leave the dude alone, say thanks for the memories, and let the guy go off on his way in a couple of days. It's pointless to sit here and bash the guy at this point.

Why is it that Rex should be "left alone" when others like Sanchez were villanized to the nth degree.

Why is it that Rex should be "left alone" when others like Sanchez were villanized to the nth degree.

Sanchez should be left alone too. He also gave us some great years as Jet fans. He also wore out his welcome in New York and had to go.

Seems that Jet fans have a tendency to hold grudges and constantly pile on with players (and coaches in this case) for whatever reason. Sanchez is gone, Rex will be gone too. Let it go fellas, Rex is gone on Monday and that should be enough. 

I understand that as Jet fans this might be all we have to talk about right now and that's why I can't wait until Monday. We need to start looking forward.

Sanchez should be left alone too. He also gave us some great years as Jet fans. He also wore out his welcome in New York and had to go.

Seems that Jet fans have a tendency to hold grudges and constantly pile on with players (and coaches in this case) for whatever reason. Sanchez is gone, Rex will be gone too. Let it go fellas, Rex is gone on Monday and that should be enough. 

I understand that as Jet fans this might be all we have to talk about right now and that's why I can't wait until Monday. We need to start looking forward.

Do I want him gone -  absolutely, Should he be gone - 100% yes. Until he's actually out the door I'm in full attack mode and nervous as hell.

He certainly did we thought we finally had a FQB.. However Cumar always gets a pass but his 14 yds rushing in the 1998 AFCCG and his fumble in the first game of the next season where Vinny blew out his Achilles trying to recover it did more damage to Jet Bowl hopes then anyone I can think of.. :winking0001:

I'm in full attack mode

you are not attacking rex as much as you are giving everybody here a migraine. you and about 5-6 other guys. every post is the same ol sh*t. that's all you talk about. what a pos rex is. next week rex will be gone. give it a long over due rest. I cant waite till monday

you are not attacking rex as much as you are giving everybody here a migraine. you and about 5-6 other guys. every post is the same ol sh*t. that's all you talk about. what a pos rex is. next week rex will be gone. give it a long over due rest. I cant waite till monday

Me either T minus 3 days and counting. But if you think the Rex talk will subside when he's gone - your mistaken , there are those here who won't let him fade away. For me as long as he's gone I'll be happy. 

Me either T minus 3 days and counting. But if you think the Rex talk will subside when he's gone - your mistaken , there are those here who won't let him fade away. For me as long as he's gone I'll be happy. 

I hated Herman Edwards for a very long time. Now simply find him amusing like some guy that you and he both know is utterly full of sheet but pleasant company nonetheless. So don't think the Ryan talk will end any time soon. 

I mean seriously, this is what happens when you have a reporter who is too close to the subject they report on.

I was watching a clip where basically said "Rex got no help" & he did a great coaching job (his best) over the last 2 years with nothing in the cupboard,lmao!

Wasn't Rex the idiot that had Mark Sanchez playing behind a bunch of guys that nobody even knew in a meaningless preseason game?

The Jets won 2 games directly by penalties called with 45 seconds left to win the games in 2013.

Has he EVER won a game after a bye?

Who hired that loser special teams coach that were responsible for at least 3 losses this year?

Who hired MM, the guy that runs on 3rd & 8 in the redzone but throws fades on 3rd & 1?

Who calls blitz on every 3rd & long?

Who never has a TO left at crucial times in the 4th quarter?

Who keeps playing Kyle Wilson & Dawan Landry?

This guy has burned through 3 OCs a couple of DCs, hes like the amazing Rex, not responsible for anything regarding this sh*tshow we have had to watch over the last 4 years!

Just for the mere fact that these Rex defenders are people unlike us Jet fans that watch the entire 60 minutes of Jet football games each & every week, Woody can't fire this cancer quick enough for me.

The denial to put some of the blame on Rex Ryan is mind boggling!

They should make these people watch every single game the Jets played this year CLOCKWORK ORANGE STYLE with toothpicks holding their eyelids open!

They would want to fire Rex themselves after that kind of torture.

Archived