Amaro made SI's All Rookie Team

SenorGato

Following the earlier post about other rookie TEs of years gone by :

Jimmy Graham - 15 games, 31 catches, 356 yds, 5 TDs

Jason Witten - 15 games, 35 catches, 347 yds, 1 TD

Tony Gonzalez - 16 games, 33 cayches, 368 yds, 2 TDs

And how about Julius Thomas prior to Peyton Manning - 9 games in 2 years, 1 catch, 5 yards ...

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And how about Julius Thomas prior to Peyton Manning - 9 games in 2 years, 1 catch, 5 yards ...

all those guys suck

13 g 35 Rec 311yds 2 tds

What is your point?

These guys are All Pros.

Amaro will never sniff their jocks.

What is your point?

These guys are All Pros.

And I presume after their rookie seasons, you correctly predicted that all three would go on to have stellar careers?

You can't write a guy off based on one year's stats.

What is your point?

These guys are All Pros.

Amaro might not be an All Pro but he certainly is infinitely better than any TE the Jets have or had in the 3 years. Given a competent HC , an offensive gameplan and some coaching and he may be better than some think .

Amaro does have nimble feet for a big guy- so he's got that going for him. But so many quotes early on, anonymously about how soft he was...seems fairly common with a lot of rookies these days though. They underestimate how tough the league is...especially with how little effort college defenses give nowadays.

One reason I absolutely loved the pick then and now is that Amaro is not soft. He's way bigger and more physical than I thought. The soft knocks was probably due to Texas Tech's style of offense.

One reason I absolutely loved the pick then and now is that Amaro is not soft. He's way bigger and more physical than I thought. The soft knocks was probably due to Texas Tech's style of offense.

Mentally soft. Doesn't seem to work particularly hard. Couldn't get on the field over scrub Cumberland bc he didn't know the plays.The Ditka comments were silly...and frankly he sucked this year.

Mentally soft. Doesn't seem to work particularly hard. Couldn't get on the field over scrub Cumberland bc he didn't know the plays.The Ditka comments were silly...and frankly he sucked this year.

Couldn't agree more.  The fact that he couldn't beat out Cumberland says a lot about him as a player.  He could be a solid #2 TE should the new coaching staff decide to employ some 2 TE sets, but beyond that, I don't see him being the guy that a franchise can count on that position.

What is your point?

These guys are All Pros.

No, but at least those guys had the skills to be a successful NFL player.

Amaro runs like he has a butt plug up his ass, can't block worth a damn and drops a ton of easy catches.

What the hell makes you believe he will ever be in the same category of those guys?

No, but at least those guys had the skills to be a successful NFL player.

Amaro runs like he has a butt plug up his ass, can't block worth a damn and drops a ton of easy catches.

What the hell makes you believe he will ever be in the same category of those guys?

Are you arguing with yourself?

Couldn't agree more.  The fact that he couldn't beat out Cumberland says a lot about him as a player.  He could be a solid #2 TE should the new coaching staff decide to employ some 2 TE sets, but beyond that, I don't see him being the guy that a franchise can count on that position.

Does it? In his rookie year the year after Cumberland's best?

Does it? In his rookie year the year after Cumberland's best?

Well, it does to me.  I don't see Cumberland as anything more than a stop-gap, a guy that can serviceably play the position while the scouting department looks for a long term replacement at the position.  If Amaro was any good, he should have been able to beat out Cumberland.

My feeling on it is pretty simple, if you're not good enough to start for the Jets offense, then I've got to question your abilities as a football player.  The Jets offense is, quite simply, a terrible embarassment and if you're not good enough to beat out someone on that starting lineup, then that says something.

I don't see Cumberland as anything more than a stop-gap, a guy that can serviceably play the position while the scouting department looks for a long term replacement at the position.  If Amaro was any good, he should have been able to beat out Cumberland.

I think the flaws in this thinking should be obvious.

My feeling on it is pretty simple, if you're not good enough to start for the Jets offense, then I've got to question your abilities as a football player.  The Jets offense is, quite simply, a terrible embarassment and if you're not good enough to beat out someone on that starting lineup, then that says something.

So if you're a non-starter you suck and if you're a starter you suck...Again, I think this thought process is flawed and maybe even a little lazy. Amaro, as a rookie, outplayed and outproduced Cumberland this year.

I found the right QB, his name is Bo Wallace of Ole Miss. Now we just have to find the right offensive coordinator and coach.

not very big on him I think Bryce Petty will be much better but they do need to sit for a year or more, if we don't draft Mariota I guess it depends on who comes in as GM for the team.in my opinion I would not take Bryce or Bo with anything higher then a 4th.

I think back to all the struggles he had over the summer. That despite the numbers he put up last year in college he was still very raw in terms of picking up a playbook and being a pro TE. That kind of stuff has to have affected him, at least to an extent. He should be able to clear his head and just focus on the ball the ball the ball and instead he's counting steps and thinking about where he is and where he could be depending on which route he runs, not to mention half-expecting a pass to be thrown off target even if it's headed right for his helmet. How much of his time was spent working on his blocking at the same time. There's a lot of time in camp, and IMO it's plenty of time to get schooled on it all, but there are only so many reps with the starters and then you're on the field for real.

Someone like that could - or should - take a giant leap from year 1 to year 2. Maybe a little adaptation very early on, since he's likely to see a new play book and new terminology, but his learning curve shouldn't be nearly as steep. 

I think a lot of these things that aren't yet second nature are what lead to the few easy drops he's had as a rookie. I think drops like that almost always mean his mind is elsewhere for that split second, or looks away a hair too soon. It's not like he can't actually catch a football.

Amaro will just be a serviceable TE...no wow factor..should have drafted a WR, you do not have to draft a TE high anymore

It's far too early to tell that. After Gronk's rookie season, he looked like a mere red zone threat and he's the greatest to ever play the position. The fact that Amaro has looked as good as he is as a rookie is a great sign for his future. This isn't running back or even wide receiver. Tight ends don't just step in and dominate as rookies, in fact, they rarely do much of anything.

It's far too early to tell that. After Gronk's rookie season, he looked like a mere red zone threat and he's the greatest to ever play the position. The fact that Amaro has looked as good as he is as a rookie is a great sign for his future. This isn't running back or even wide receiver. Tight ends don't just step in and dominate as rookies, in fact, they rarely do much of anything.

He just doesn't look like a natural athlete...Not fluid at all...very stiff...The kid from Bama OJ Howard  has it and will be a star in next yrs draft

Howard Cross was on the FAN yesterday talking about the Giants Larry Donnell. He was saying that the biggest adjustment a TE has to make coming into the league is in their strength, that none of them are ready for the size of NFL DEs and LBs.

Howard Cross was on the FAN yesterday talking about the Giants Larry Donnell. He was saying that the biggest adjustment a TE has to make coming into the league is in their strength, that none of them are ready for the size of NFL DEs and LBs.

Yeah, but that doesn't apply to Amaro since he was asked to block so much in Texas Tech's air raid offense. Idzik drafted him, so he sucks.

Did you just compare Amaro to the best TE in football?

Wow.

Yeah now that you mention it I remember reading about Ebron having issues with his hands before the draft. He was projected to go to the Jets in a lot of mock drafts I read but Detroit ended up taking him with their pick.

I bet Detroit wish they took Beckham Jr instead. Can you imagine him and Megatron on the same team? Would easily be the best 1-2 punch in the league IMO.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

holy crap !!!!!      and OBJ could take over as megatron gets old.   

Did you just compare Amaro to the best TE in football?

Wow.

I did not, you ignorant slut.

I used Gronk as an example to show that rookie TEs never do jack sh*t. The Pats actually do have a TE on their roster that had an abnormally successful statistical rookie season, however, that tight end is Tim Wright.

You have to quit looking at stats and just trust your eyes. You can't compare stats for TEs in different systems. Specially for 10-20 years ago. Back then 1/2 the offenses barely used a TE except for blocking. Some Guys like Martz don't even utilize one. Some teams like Denver used a move TE but not a real TE. If anyone has a picture of Sharpe and arms length from a OT, it would be a collectors item.

Amaro got the best stats in a weak year and deserves the award.  Jenkins played better (in the couple of TB games I saw) but was hurt 1/3rd of the year.  You are not on the field you should not get an award.

Amaro may, like a lot of jets who are young benefit from a change in staff,  To my eyes he just needs repetitions on the field to reduce some of those drops, Whether he has the heart to line up on the tackles side 1/2 of the game will be seen next year. 

Archived