GM/HC News, Updates, & Your Thoughts (THAT DO NOT WARRANT IT'S OWN THREAD)

Morrissey

I think there's too many threads on this topic and everything gets lost in the shuffle.

So here it goes.

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It seemed against the rules-ish that they would be contacting potential replacements while Rex and Idzik were still in their jobs. I guess Casserly doing some preliminary work before officially being hired by the Jets gets around that.

It seemed against the rules-ish that they would be contacting potential replacements while Rex and Idzik were still in their jobs. I guess Casserly doing some preliminary work before officially being hired by the Jets gets around that.

I heard a rumor that Casserly might recommend Duke Tobin of Cinncinati Bengals---  he's director of pro personnel there -- to Woody.  see below...from Cinncy paper:

....Tobin, the Bengals director of player personnel, is quite possibly the last guy you'd notice at a party. He's the guy in the kitchen, holding up the wall, while everyone else is wearing lampshades. If Duke Tobin were scouting Duke Tobin, he'd wonder about his charisma.

He has been the Bengals personnel guru for 12 years. In researching this column, I found one story about him. One. Written in 2004, and it was more about his father Bill, the architect of the legendary '85 Chicago Bears, currently a Bengals consultant.

"The lack of stories is (due to) the lack of material,'' Duke Tobin noted.

35546123001_3751134946001_BTS-2014-2-thu

File this under Things You Never Thought You'd Say: Quietly, the way he likes it, Tobin and his small staff – with a huge assist from the Bengals coaches – have put together one of the best rosters in the NFL. Not just this year, but the last several. They are deep enough to replace a Michael Johnson with a Margus Hunt, who has been a terror this summer.

They are talented enough that BenJarvus Green-Ellis, their featured back at the beginning of last year, is scrambling this year to make the team. Two years ago, the Bengals sent four players 24 or younger to the Pro Bowl. They find players everywhere, not just the draft: Dallas (Terence Newman), Nashville (Adam Jones), Estonia (Margus Hunt). They've "developed a culture,'' Tobin explained. Veteran free agents know, "If I go to Cincinnati, I'm going to get an opportunity.''

I believe it would be against the rules to contact coaches in the NFL who are employed by other teams, but there is nothing stopping him from contacting college coaches.

It's not against the rules to contact potential replacements while their predecessors are still in place and I have no earthly idea what against the rules 'ish' means. The issue is actually deciding on somebody before there's been time for bona fide compliance with the Rooney rule.

It's not against the rules to contact potential replacements while their predecessors are still in place and I have no earthly idea what against the rules 'ish' means. The issue is actually deciding on somebody before there's been time for bona fide compliance with the Rooney rule.

Lol. Thank you, Miss Lonelyhearts.

The ol' Rooney Rule, always entertaining watching NFL teams skirt that one.

Be assured, Woody will give at the very least the usual token interview to placate the PCSJW crowd and fulfill the letter or the rules, before he moves on to hire whomever he wants (or who he's told to want by Casserly).

Same as all NFL Teams do. 

The ol' Rooney Rule, always entertaining watching NFL teams skirt that one.

Be assured, Woody will give at the very least the usual token interview to placate the PCSJW crowd and fulfill the letter or the rules, before he moves on to hire whomever he wants (or who he's told to want by Casserly).

Same as all NFL Teams do. 

I don't think it is a workable rule and the NFL after a few years understood it being so. It does give the coaches experience in interviewing for one that may pop up even though the one they are presently interviewing for has a targeted applicant..  If you go out and interview a Parcells/BB/Pete Carrol or this year Harbaugh if he expresses interest in the raiders job, it is patently stupid to ask a team to interview other candidates if he wants the job..

not breaking any rule, just in really poor taste

if it's true

I wonder who this college coach is. I've been interested in going the college route because I want someone with head coaching experience.

College HC is a HC just the same. I like Art Briles of Baylor, David Shaw of STANFORD and Kevin Sumlin of Texas A&M. All good offensive minded coaches. I would prefer a former NFL HC like Mike Shanahan - who I think is better than what he showed in DC with a QB he didn't want forced on him. But Woody will take Casserly's recommendation for sure.

Hello Mr Thurman and Mr Dunbar.

Welcome to your interview for the vacant positions of GM and HC of the Jets

quite a leap for someone who never even put a game plan together. You can't argue with the success he has as a position coach, but to extrapolate that  to running a team is a stretch.  What kind of OC is he going to be able to attract? Case or someone like that won't come to be OC to a guy that may be overwhelmed.  I don't see how Casserly would ever recommend anything of the sort.

The jets need to get a guy with experience putting together both a game plan and running at least 1/2 the team. 

quite a leap for someone who never even put a game plan together. You can't argue with the success he has as a position coach, but to extrapolate that to running a team is a stretch. What kind of OC is he going to be able to attract? Case or someone like that won't come to be OC to a guy that may be overwhelmed. I don't see how Casserly would ever recommend anything of the sort.

The jets need to get a guy with experience putting together both a game plan and running at least 1/2 the team.

Should have figured a Pats troll would completely miss the point that even the village idiot would have gotten instantly.

Rooney Rule..see..now it even makes sense to a New England person

Can we hire a GM first. The first thing I want to hear is that Idzik and Rex are fired. I would prefer to hear Casserly was talking to GM candidates.

Was thinking the same thing. Think it's weird that Casserly is reaching out to HC candidates before the GM is selected. I'd imagine that'd create a situation similar to Rex and Idzik.

Was thinking the same thing. Think it's weird that Casserly is reaching out to HC candidates before the GM is selected. I'd imagine that'd create a situation similar to Rex and Idzik.

It dosen't make me feel any more confident that Idzik is getting fired, it's seems like he is going to be retained. Why can't we just do things the right way. Monday can't come soon enough.

I heard a rumor that Casserly might recommend Duke Tobin of Cinncinati Bengals---  he's director of pro personnel there -- to Woody.  see below...from Cinncy paper:

....Tobin, the Bengals director of player personnel, is quite possibly the last guy you'd notice at a party. He's the guy in the kitchen, holding up the wall, while everyone else is wearing lampshades. If Duke Tobin were scouting Duke Tobin, he'd wonder about his charisma.

He has been the Bengals personnel guru for 12 years. In researching this column, I found one story about him. One. Written in 2004, and it was more about his father Bill, the architect of the legendary '85 Chicago Bears, currently a Bengals consultant.

"The lack of stories is (due to) the lack of material,'' Duke Tobin noted.

35546123001_3751134946001_BTS-2014-2-thu

File this under Things You Never Thought You'd Say: Quietly, the way he likes it, Tobin and his small staff – with a huge assist from the Bengals coaches – have put together one of the best rosters in the NFL. Not just this year, but the last several. They are deep enough to replace a Michael Johnson with a Margus Hunt, who has been a terror this summer.

They are talented enough that BenJarvus Green-Ellis, their featured back at the beginning of last year, is scrambling this year to make the team. Two years ago, the Bengals sent four players 24 or younger to the Pro Bowl. They find players everywhere, not just the draft: Dallas (Terence Newman), Nashville (Adam Jones), Estonia (Margus Hunt). They've "developed a culture,'' Tobin explained. Veteran free agents know, "If I go to Cincinnati, I'm going to get an opportunity.''

Sounds interesting enough. I love what the Bengals have done around Dalton the Ginger. Tobin seems to have Football Man blood flowing in his veins, and we all know that is worth ten times its weight in gold. Has he *played* the game THO, and at what level?

------

Gus Malzahn as the college coach Casserly is looking into?

Patriots director of player personnel Nick Caserio, has signed a contract extension with NE that runs through 2020 season, per NFL sources.

If the interest was mutual, I think we can still sign him away without offering any compensation to the Pats. But he seems content in NE with his current title. 

If the interest was mutual, I think we can still sign him away without offering any compensation to the Pats. But he seems content in NE with his current title.

Pretty sure teams can refuse to let other teams even interview their front office personnel. If the Pats feel he's a valuable guy in their organization, there's no way they'll let him go to the Jets.

Pretty sure teams can refuse to let other teams even interview their front office personnel. If the Pats feel he's a valuable guy in their organization, there's no way they'll let him go to the Jets.

When it comes to the coaches, teams can not stop other teams from interviewing their guys as long as the interviewing job is higher up on the hierarchy than what they currently do (from line coach to OC or OC to HC etc).

As for the FO positions, Im not 100% sure if the same rule applies, but I wouldn't be surprised either way. 

When it comes to the coaches, teams can not stop other teams from interviewing their guys as long as the interviewing job is higher up on the hierarchy than what they currently do (from line coach to OC or OC to HC etc).

As for the FO positions, Im not 100% sure if the same rule applies, but I wouldn't be surprised either way.

Actually, no. No team can deny an assistant getting a head coach interview, but they can block position coaches from getting coordinator interviews. That change took place a few years ago now.

There are now only two levels of coaches ..assistants and head coaches.

Head coaches (Belicheat) were inventing all kinds of BS categories to steal assistant coaches from other teams

Actually, no. No team can deny an assistant getting a head coach interview, but they can block position coaches from getting coordinator interviews. That change took place a few years ago now.

I see. Wasn't aware of the change. 

Mike Loyko@NEPD_Loyko 4h4 hours ago

Mike Westhoff says on @SNY that a few of his coaching/FO sources say Brian Xander is the name to watch for #Jets GM.

Xanders is the senior personnel executive with the Lions. Was the Broncos GM from 09-12

Good writeup here

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/2014/01/a-look-at-dolphins-gm-candidate-brian-xanders.html

Archived