GM/HC News, Updates, & Your Thoughts (THAT DO NOT WARRANT IT'S OWN THREAD)

Morrissey

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Garrett now available:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/11/jason-garrett-is-now-a-free-agent/

With the Cowboys losing in dramatic fashion on Sunday, some additional drama could be coming.

Coach Jason Garrett’s contract has expired.  He is a free agent.  He can be hired by any other team.

Owner Jerry Jones recently said he intends to keep Garrett.  But other owners can now pursue him.

In 2008, Garrett rebuffed the advances of the Falcons and Ravens, choosing an offensive coordinator position in Dallas along with the chance to eventually become the head coach.  Now that he’s done it for four full seasons and half of 2010 on an interim basis, Garrett has the chance to look around.

Why shouldn’t he?  If nothing else, it’ll force Jones to pay more than he wants to pay.

Vacancies currently exist with the Jets, Bears, Falcons, Raiders, and 49ers.

Have heard if Denver loses Fox will be fired.

Read the same. Did the article stipulate whether it's if he loses the divisional game or at all during the playoffs? ie. is it super bowl champion or bust for them?  Because again, I don't see any team beating the Hawks right now.

Wonder what the plan would be in that scenario. Elevate Gase?

Glazer reporting that Jones is going to bring Garrett back.

Considering how they turned around from last year, it's hard to justify firing him for losing their 2nd playoff game on the road in Lambeau vs. the league MVP, even if he was gimpy.

Wonder what the plan would be in that scenario. Elevate Gase?

Possibly, rumors are that Peyton respects the heck out of him.  I think they'd be foolish too though, there doesn't seem to be anything that a HC could do to have changed the outcomes in Denver the last handful of years there. I can't remember a specific time where I thought that they lost because of poor coaching, but who knows what goes on there on a daily basis. They just are running into a weird circumstance where a team has a top 5 QB on it playing for 600K and has assembled the best defense in recent history. Things will shake up a bit when Wilson gets his historic contract and that team loses some talent. Think they'd be wise to keep things status quo in Denver.

Cimini update:

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/48499/jets-could-be-involved-in-dizzying-game-of-musical-coaches?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

The New York Jets have reached a critical stage in their coaching search. Their top two candidates are being wooed by other teams and now there's another team in the head-coaching market -- the Denver Broncos, who parted ways with John Fox on Monday. Six teams, including the Jets, are looking for a head coach. 

Basically, this is free agency, the coaching version. If the Jets don't play it right, they could end up with a fallback to the fallback choice, the coaching equivalent of Dimitri Patterson. (Okay, that might be a bit harsh, but you get the point.) This is when consultants Charley Casserly and Ron Wolf will earn their money, which I hear is well into six figures apiece. 

ESPN.com NFL Coaching Coverage

nfl_coaches_panel_jv_110x62.jpgGet the latest news and analysis on all the coaching changes from NFL Nation reporters.
Coaching Carousel 
Coaching changes chart

An update on the Jets' candidates: 

Dan Quinn (Seattle Seahawks defensive coordinator) -- From all indications, he's the Jets' No. 1 choice, but The Wait could be a factor. If the Seahawks reach the Super Bowl, he can't be hired by a team until Feb. 2. That could impact his ability to form a top-notch staff. It has been widely reported he'd like Kyle Shanahan as his offensive coordinator and I'm hearing his defensive-coordinator choice could be former Atlanta Falconscoach Mike Smith, but they could be tempted by other job opportunities. There could be competition for Quinn, who has drawn interest from the Falcons, San Francisco 49ers and Chicago Bears. The Broncos are now interested, according to ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter. The Jets would be helped if the 49ers hire Broncos offensive coordinator Adam Gase; one less suitor for Quinn, a Jersey guy who has told friends he'd like to return home if the job lines up. 

Todd Bowles (Arizona Cardinals defensive coordinator) -- The Jets and Falcons have invited him back for second interviews. Bowles is a Bill Parcells disciple, and the word is that Parcells is lobbying his son-in-law, Falcons executive Scott Pioli, to hire Bowles. New England Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels seems to make the most sense, but, like Quinn, he's still involved in the playoffs. If the Falcons decide to move quickly and make a push for Bowles, it could rob of the Jets of their perceived fallback candidate. If Bowles isn't comfortable with any of his suitors, he can return to his well-paying job in the desert. The Falcons also plan to give a second interview to Detroit Lions defensive coordinator Teryl Austin. And don't discount Quinn in Atlanta. 

Sean McDermott (Carolina Panthers defensive coordinator) -- He's a new name on the list. The Jets scheduled an interview for Wednesday, and there's a reason. They need a Plan C in the event they lose Quinn and Bowles, and they evidently don't feel the others they've interviewed rise to the "C" level. No other teams have publicly expressed interest in McDermott. 

Tom Cable (Seahawks offensive-line coach) -- The Jets were impressed with his interview, but he's in the Quinn category -- he might not be available until after the Super Bowl. If they wait that long, it would be for Quinn. No other teams are pursuing Cable. 

Doug Marrone (former Buffalo Bills coach) -- He was a strong candidate after opting out of his Bills' contract, with Casserly said to be pushing Marrone to people in the Jets' organization. Owner Woody Johnson, too, seemed interested, but he got cold feet because of some unflattering articles about Marrone. 

Frank Reich (San Diego Chargers offensive coordinator) -- There hasn't been any buzz about Reich. He interviewed for the Bills' job, but that went to Rex Ryan. 

Anthony Lynn (Jets running backs coach) -- He could join Ryan's staff in Buffalo.

@RapSheet: Big change of plans: #AZCardinals DC Todd Bowles will now head to #NYJ first, then talk with #Falcons. Question is will #Jets let him leave?

@RapSheet: 2 years ago, Mike McCoy had a visit to #Chargers, then one with #AZCardinals. SD never let him leave town. Jets may do the same with Bowles

@RichCimini: Jets HC candidate Todd Bowles will meet with Mike Maccagnan when he arrives in NJ tonight for 2nd interview, per source. #nyj

@RapSheet: Big change of plans: #AZCardinals DC Todd Bowles will now head to #NYJ first, then talk with #Falcons. Question is will #Jets let him leave?

@RapSheet: 2 years ago, Mike McCoy had a visit to #Chargers, then one with #AZCardinals. SD never let him leave town. Jets may do the same with Bowles

@RichCimini: Jets HC candidate Todd Bowles will meet with Mike Maccagnan when he arrives in NJ tonight for 2nd interview, per source. #nyj

Has Macagnan as GM been finalized yet?

@DanGrazianoESPN: Carolina defensive coordinator Sean McDermott will interview Wednesday with the Jets for their vacant head coach job.

@RichCimini: A Sean McDermott-Mike Maccagnan connection? They have the same agent. #nyj

We're doing the agent a solid interviewing McDermott, perhaps just a PR move for his client. I would imagine we're doing this favor because the agent is letting us keep MacCags in limbo... which I think is entirely about not having him on payroll so he can have conversations that wouldn't constitute tampering.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 54m54 minutes ago

2 years ago, Mike McCoy had a visit to #Chargers, then one with #AZCardinals. SD never let him leave town. Jets may do the same with Bowles

Considering I wanted Arians 2 years ago when we chose to hire Rex 2.0, and I think I wanted Fisher or Cowher 6 years ago when we decided to hire Rex 1.0, I'd consider getting the hottest coordinator of the whole season a coup for Los Yets.

We'll see where these Bowles rumors go, at this point I doubt everything these
reporters are "tweeting" out.  I had Quinn and Bowles at the top of my list from
the beginning so I'm fine with either one.  I'm sure there will be people that
"bash" the team because "they didn't get their first choice".  But we don't know
how the search team ranked the candidates.  On top of that what if Maccagnan came
in and said he wanted to hire Bowles.  Are we now going to complain because the
GM actually selected his own coach???

We're doing the agent a solid interviewing McDermott, perhaps just a PR move for his client. I would imagine we're doing this favor because the agent is letting us keep MacCags in limbo... which I think is entirely about not having him on payroll so he can have conversations that wouldn't constitute tampering.

That's a interesting read on things.  I'm sitting here asking myself why the Bears and Redskins can hire a GM in 30 mins and we're taking 5 days to book MacCags.  It seems plausible...

That's a interesting read on things. I'm sitting here asking myself why the Bears and Redskins can hire a GM in 30 mins and we're taking 5 days to book MacCags. It seems plausible...

Since he is conducting the second interview with Bowles. I think it's a fair assumption that our new GM is on the job already

Maybe we are waiting for a single press announcement for both Mac and Bowles or Quinn

That's a interesting read on things.  I'm sitting here asking myself why the Bears and Redskins can hire a GM in 30 mins and we're taking 5 days to book MacCags.  It seems plausible...

Especially since the main candidate is a guy with a job. Maybe Quinn told Mac when the Denver job became available that he would go there over the Jets and they moved quickly to get Bowles in the building first

Since he is conducting the second interview with Bowles. I think it's a fair assumption that our new GM is on the job already

Maybe we are waiting for a single press announcement for both Mac and Bowles or Quinn

Yeah but since he's not officialy on the payroll, they skirt the tampering violations. That is awesome.

I highly doubt Mccagnan is being left in limbo. What conversations could he be having that wouldn't be tampering? He's still an executive with a NFL team so any contact with a guy under contract, not granted permission to speak, would be tampering.

I am a big fan of Bowles' blitzes. He runs a really creative and exciting style of D that I think would be perfect for the Jets. He's also known for being highly adjustable and creative in his gameplans. He realizes that every game is different and approaches each game accordingly.

Would be happy with either Quinn or Bowles. Also want to take a look at Gase, who Manning is apparently extremely high on.

I highly doubt Mccagnan is being left in limbo. What conversations could he be having that wouldn't be tampering? He's still an executive with a NFL team so any contact with a guy under contract would be tampering.

You have to figure that if Mac is handling interviews that there is no limbo. He's the guy.

I am a big fan of Bowles' blitzes. He runs a really creative and exciting style of D that I think would be perfect for the Jets. He's also known for being highly adjustable and creative in his gameplans. He realizes that every game is different and approaches each game accordingly.

Would be happy with either Quinn or Bowles. Also want to take a look at Gase, who Manning is apparently extremely high on.

I hope they get Bowles.  Bowles runs his own defense, Quinn runs Carroll's defense.  I'm not saying Quinn is weak, but I think Bowles is a safer bet.

Archived