GM/HC News, Updates, & Your Thoughts (THAT DO NOT WARRANT IT'S OWN THREAD)

Morrissey

why don't they make it official though and hire him already? I don't buy that he avoids tampering allegations if he hasn't been announced yet. If he is acting on behalf of the Jets then the Jets can be held accountable.

Honestly I personally believe the jets realize the fans already know he's the gm and they're giving us all time to realize that and come to terms with our own feeling about it. Once we've all formed our own opinions then they'll announce it and let people like mehta write their slander prices trying to aim public opinion against the jets but it will be too late, it's already old news and we know how we feel about he hire.

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

why don't they make it official though and hire him already? I don't buy that he avoids tampering allegations if he hasn't been announced yet. If he is acting on behalf of the Jets then the Jets can be held accountable.

Well. The Bears officially signed Pace as GM and then immediately interviewed Bowles, who was waiting in their facility.

So my guess. If Bowles is interviewing tonight Mccagnan will be signed by then. Officially announced? No idea.

Well. The Bears officially signed Pace as GM and then he immediately interviewed Bowles, who was waiting in their facility.

So my guess. If Bowles is interviewing tonight Mccagnan will be signed by then. Officially announced? No idea.

OK... have we or have we not hired the Mac? I read stuff like Mac's doing this or that regarding the jets and a HC, yet i've not seen a single report confirming and making his hire official

They were trying to set up an interview with Bowles and he's scheduled to interview tonight so they were busy with more important stuff right now. That's my thinking at least. Mac is already a done deal, no need to waste any time on making it official and setting up press conferences and all that at this point when you have teams going hard after Bowles/Quinn.

Green behind the ears GM and green behind the ears first time defense-oriented coach. What could possibly go wrong?

I'm sorry but after reading this article. There is no one that can tell me Bowles isn't the most solid and HC ready candidate out there.

http://espn.go.com/b...ate-todd-bowles

Last season, Bowles' defense ranked sixth in the NFL in yards allowed per game, and first against the run, while allowing the fewest yards in team history for a 16-game season (1,351). This past season, the Cardinals were 24th in yards allowed per game and 13th in rushing yards allowed, but still made a quite an impact on a playoff team. Bowles’ crew boasted the league’s fifth-best scoring defense (18.7 ppg.) and third-best red-zone percentage (43.9 percent).

Bowles is known for his aggressive approach.

"Oh yeah, Coach Bowles is a very aggressive guy," Johnson said. "He loves the fact that he has guys on the back end that he can trust in certain situations. I think every game we were in this year that was close and we were on the field to win the game, it was a zero blitz. It got to the point that we’d be laughing on the field, because the middle linebacker would be waiting on the call and we’d be like, 'What you waiting on the call for? We know what it’s going to be. Just go ahead and make it. Just go ahead and get lined up.'

"He’s very aggressive, but at the same time, he knows how to mix it up because teams have learned that he’s a very aggressive guy. He’s just very smart about how he brings his pressures."

Johnson called Bowles a "players' coach" and put a little context behind the label. He recalled getting burned by Eagles receiver Jordan Matthews on a third-and-12 play for 23 yards back in Week 8.

"We were in zero coverage and I let Matthews beat me across my face," Johnson explained. "I came to the sideline and the DBs coach was out of his mind going crazy. Then Coach Bowles comes up to me and says, 'Hey man, I saw him give you the stick for the outside move. If he beat you on the out, that’s my fault. I put you in a position to play it from inside-out. Just don’t bite on the outside move.' And I was like, 'OK, Coach, I got you.'

"He tells me he made the call and put me in that position. You’ve got to respect that."

That’s not to say Bowles goes around absorbing blame for every misstep.

"It’s not like he’s going to let you slide," Johnson said. "He’s definitely going to let you know when you’ve done something wrong. I think the one thing we respect most is that he treats everyone the same. Whether you’re an All-Pro or a rookie, when we came in and watched film, he didn’t hold back in saying something to the All-Pro.

"He’s straight-forward and honest. And he's been able to take the personnel that he has and know how to put them in positions to exercise their strengths. If you can’t do something, he’s not going to call on you to do it. He’s really good at putting schemes together to make his guys successful. He's definitely a great coach."

@mikejurecki: Hearing things could be heating up with Todd Bowles and #NYJets. Bowles has been reaching out to potential staff members. #Jets

We'll see if this is true.  There are some very attractive coordinator candidates out there, hopefully Bowles has

relationships with them:

OC - Trestman, Shanahan

DC - Schwartz, Fangio

It would be telling if Bowles interviews with Atlanta tommorrow, and McDermott's scheduled interview with the Jets moves forward tomorrow. If Jets like Bowles they have to lock him up tonight. 

U would think Bowles is in the drivers seat for one of these two spots and I would only imagine that the Atlanta job is a better landing spot.  This would mean if the Jets want him they have to perhaps over pay so that he doesn't go to Atlanta....WHICH means they will over pay for their 2nd choice.

But I like him a little better than Quinn.

U would think Bowles is in the drivers seat for one of these two spots and I would only imagine that the Atlanta job is a better landing spot. This would mean if the Jets want him they have to perhaps over pay so that he doesn't go to Atlanta....WHICH means they will over pay for their 2nd choice.

You're assuming he's the second choice. He could be the top choice.

U would think Bowles is in the drivers seat for one of these two spots and I would only imagine that the Atlanta job is a better landing spot.  This would mean if the Jets want him they have to perhaps over pay so that he doesn't go to Atlanta....WHICH means they will over pay for their 2nd choice.

Maybe, but better to overpay for 2nd choice then have to do the same for 4th or 5th choice.

Can he risk Atlanta liking Austin more? If the Jets offer Bowles the job tonight, I don't think he turns them down. 

Not thrilled with Chan Gailey as OC hopefully someone just threw his name around.

I guess I could deal with him as the QB coach since we'll probably have at least

two young QB's on the roster.  He could use his experience to groom/teach them

Archived