GM/HC News, Updates, & Your Thoughts (THAT DO NOT WARRANT IT'S OWN THREAD)

Morrissey

Per Pat Kirwan he believes it will be Chris Grier as GM & Todd Bowles as HC. He said "a little birdie didn't stop to talk to him but dropped off s note."

Grier a Casserly guy

Bowles a Wolf guy (and Parcells)

Bowles in Miami while Grier there

Where, and when did he say this?

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fact we havent thrown boatload of cash at 'what is perceived as best available' tells me Quinn is guy and Jets have a wink wink deal in place for after playoffs., PLUS, he actually WANTS to be Jets coach and come back home to his native NJ.

GM = No clue, maybe the Cards guy, McGagananhanahannanahanahan

Where, and when did he say this?

so instead of best guys, Woody ends up just hiring the buddies of his two search consultants,,,gee, what a damn coincidence, after 28 interviews, the 2 best also happen to be buddies, old working partners of the 2 search guys,,,,f me....

how about 'geee, this guy is good and my buddy (inserty bowles, grier) , but interviewee x (quinn, mcgagnahan etc) who I have no history with just hit a homer in interview and all reports from folks I trust who have worked with him are solid'..nah,,,its the Jets

so instead of best guys, Woody ends up just hiring the buddies of his two search consultants,,,gee, what a damn coincidence, after 28 interviews, the 2 best also happen to be buddies, old working partners of the 2 search guys,,,,f me....

how about 'geee, this guy is good and my buddy (inserty bowles, grier) , but interviewee x (quinn, mcgagnahan etc) who I have no history with just hit a homer in interview and all reports from folks I trust who have worked with him are solid'..nah,,,its the Jets

Poor Woody can't win. He uses 2 well respected executives and people still rip the process. Gee if it is Bowles I guess the other teams that want to interview him are nuts too.

Poor Woody can't win. He uses 2 well respected executives and people still rip the process. Gee if it is Bowles I guess the other teams that want to interview him are nuts too.

No, I hope they work out and will support whoever is hired 100%,, I bleed green to a fault. I am just saying math wise, its odd.

Chris Grier begins his 14th season with the Dolphins and his fourth as the team's Director of College Scouting. He served as an area scout with the club from 2000-02 before being promoted to National Scout/Assistant Director of College Scouting in 2003. He joined the club after spending the previous five years in the personnel department with the New England Patriots.

Grier started with the Patriots as an intern in 1994. He joined the club on a full-time basis the following year, and served as a regional scout until joining the Dolphins in 2000.

Grier is a 1994 graduate of the University of Massachusetts-Amherst where he played football for two years before injuries ended his career. He spent his final two years there as an undergraduate assistant.

Grier is the son of Bobby Grier, the former Vice President-Player Personnel with the New England Patriots who currently is the Associate Pro Personnel Director with the Houston Texans. Chris' brother, Michael, played for the NHL's Edmonton Oilers, Washington Capitals, San Jose Sharks and Buffalo Sabers of the NHL.

A native of Holliston, Mass., Grier resides in Weston, Fla. with his wife, Paige, and their two sons, Landon and Jackson.

sorry for the bold.  I'm too old to know how to fix it, lol

when I was running searches, I would have a hard time selling this guy to my client.  He hasn't risen fast enough.  He hasn't been exposed to dealing with agents, owners, coaches and executives in a leadership position .

I could be 100% wrong but he isn't ready for a GM job, especially this one

Chris Grier begins his 14th season with the Dolphins and his fourth as the team's Director of College Scouting. He served as an area scout with the club from 2000-02 before being promoted to National Scout/Assistant Director of College Scouting in 2003. He joined the club after spending the previous five years in the personnel department with the New England Patriots.

Grier started with the Patriots as an intern in 1994. He joined the club on a full-time basis the following year, and served as a regional scout until joining the Dolphins in 2000.

Grier is a 1994 graduate of the University of Massachusetts-Amherst where he played football for two years before injuries ended his career. He spent his final two years there as an undergraduate assistant.

Grier is the son of Bobby Grier, the former Vice President-Player Personnel with the New England Patriots who currently is the Associate Pro Personnel Director with the Houston Texans. Chris' brother, Michael, played for the NHL's Edmonton Oilers, Washington Capitals, San Jose Sharks and Buffalo Sabers of the NHL.

A native of Holliston, Mass., Grier resides in Weston, Fla. with his wife, Paige, and their two sons, Landon and Jackson.

sorry for the bold.  I'm too old to know how to fix it, lol

when I was running searches, I would have a hard time selling this guy to my client.  He hasn't risen fast enough.  He hasn't been exposed to dealing with agents, owners, coaches and executives.

I could be 100% wrong but he isn't ready for a GM job, especially this one

Been running the Dolphins college scouting department for 8 years, a scout in Miami and previously NE before that. So he's been scouting players for over 20 years now. Seems qualified.

Been running the Dolphins college scouting department for 8 years, a scout in Miami and previously NE before that. So he's been scouting players for over 20 years now. Seems qualified.

Miami certainly has been a hotbed for young talent over the last eight years

qualified to scout.  his next step is director of pro-personnell, not GM

He's qualified to keep drafting lousy players? No thanks, pass. We have our own guys who can pick bad players.Is this guy a Rooney rule interview? Serious question.

he's not the gm, so to be fair he's not drafting any player. you mayeb be right about rooney rule, no idea.. havent heard his name connected to anyone else.

qualified to scout.  his next step is director of pro-personnell, not GM

You interview him. His dad was a GM, I'm sure he has some understanding of what the job entails. I'd rather have a strong scout as a GM with an accountant assistant than the other way around. 

he's not the gm, so to be fair he's not drafting any player. you mayeb be right about rooney rule, no idea.. havent heard his name connected to anyone else.

Nevermind. Some here have no concept of FO and will bitch about anything. Jets could name Wolf, Casserly or Polian GM and they would bitch.

You interview him. His dad was a GM, I'm sure he has some understanding of what the job entails. I'd rather have a strong scout as a GM with an accountant assistant than the other way around. 

The issue is his career path.  He is a slow riser, he was promoted probably by attrition or timing.  It took him years just to rise from area scout to national scout.  He has never had to directly deal with agents, the owner or the press in a leadership role.  He has never had to lead anything.  He has never had to make the call

He may be the next great GM, who knows, but why isn't he even the head of Miami's scouting department ?

The issue is his career path.  He is a slow riser, he was promoted probably by attrition or timing.  It took him years just to rise from area scout to national scout.  He has never had to directly deal with agents, the owner or the press in a leadership role.  He has never had to lead anything.  He has never had to make the call

He may be the next great GM, who knows, but why isn't he even the head of Miami's scouting department ?

Director of College Scouting is esentially the one with the most influence in the scouting department.....

Miami just effectively put Tannenbaum in charge of their football operations. What they do or don't do is inconsequential to me. 

Director of College Scouting is esentially the one with the most influence in the scouting department.....

sound like he works with TPS reports all day

If you poach a team for a GM candidate, you get the director or player personnel or asst GM.  If you look at Miami, the guy you want is Eric Stokes or Joe Schoen

I think woody is overdoing the scout thing a little here.  We don't want an accountant, but we don't want a scout either

If you poach a team for a GM candidate, you get the director or player personnel or asst GM. If you look at Miami, the guy you want is Eric Stokes or Joe Schoen

I think woody is overdoing the scout thing a little here. We don't want an accountant, but we don't want a scout either

1 yr as Asst GM. Prior was Dir of Scouting

Stokes joins the Dolphins after spending the last two seasons with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers as the director of college scouting. He was responsible for coordinating and compiling the evaluations of all draft-eligible players, while overseeing the entire college scouting staff.

If you poach a team for a GM candidate, you get the director or player personnel or asst GM. If you look at Miami, the guy you want is Eric Stokes or Joe Schoen

I think woody is overdoing the scout thing a little here. We don't want an accountant, but we don't want a scout either

1 Yr. Prior 1 yr Asst Dir of College Scouting. Prior Scout

Miami Dolphins General Manager Dennis Hickey announced today the team has named Joe Schoen as director of player personnel.

“Joe is a talented evaluator with knowledge and experience in various roles and his diverse skillset and leadership makes him a great fit for his new role going forward,” said Hickey. “Over the past few months, I have worked closely with Joe and have seen firsthand the value he brings to the organization. We will continue to make every effort to improve all aspects of the Miami Dolphins and with the recent addition of Eric Stokes and the promotion of Joe Schoen we feel that we are continuing on the path of our goal to return championship football to the Miami Dolphins.”

Schoen completed his sixth season in 2013 as a part of the Dolphins’ scouting staff and first in his role as assistant director of college scouting. He served the first five years with Miami as one of the team’s national scouts. Schoen came to Miami in 2008 after spending his first seven years in the NFL with the Carolina Panthers. He joined the Panthers in May of 2001 as a scouting assistant and was promoted to the club’s National Football Scouting scout covering the Southeast one year later. In 2003, Schoen was again promoted by the Panthers to scout the Southwest in the team’s system. Prior to joining the Panthers on a full-time basis, he interned in the team’s ticket office in January of 2000 while also having worked in the club’s training camp later that same year in football operations.

Some folks' dream candidate of yesteryear can't even get any respect from Oakland...

Darrell Bevell didn’t even talk with owner in Raiders interview
Posted by Darin Gantt on January 7, 2015, 5:40 AM EST
bevell.jpg?w=225Getty Images

Some candidates for the Raiders head coaching job get the John Madden treatment.

Others might not have even merited the Joe Bugel treatment.

According to Gregg Bell of the Tacoma News Tribune, Seahawks offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell said when he interviewed for the Raiders head coaching job, owner Mark Davis wasn’t even in the room.

Presumably, he was talking to General Manager Reggie McKenzie, but it’s not necessarily a good sign considering the treatment other candidates got.

The Raiders rolled out their Hall of Fame legend when Mike Shanahan interviewed, so it naturally looks like Bevell got the short shrift here.

Archived