GM/HC News, Updates, & Your Thoughts (THAT DO NOT WARRANT IT'S OWN THREAD)

Morrissey

Some folks' dream candidate of yesteryear can't even get any respect from Oakland...

Darrell Bevell didn’t even talk with owner in Raiders interview

Posted by Darin Gantt on January 7, 2015, 5:40 AM EST

bevell.jpg?w=225

Getty Images

Some candidates for the Raiders head coaching job get the John Madden treatment.

Others might not have even merited the Joe Bugel treatment.

According to Gregg Bell of the Tacoma News Tribune, Seahawks offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell said when he interviewed for the Raiders head coaching job, owner Mark Davis wasn’t even in the room.

Presumably, he was talking to General Manager Reggie McKenzie, but it’s not necessarily a good sign considering the treatment other candidates got.

The Raiders rolled out their Hall of Fame legend when Mike Shanahan interviewed, so it naturally looks like Bevell got the short shrift here.

Rex can't even get an interview with the Raiders.

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sure your ilk will have a full catalogue of places that Rex "didn't want to work" as soon as he takes the CBS job.

I don't belong to an ilk. If I was giving Rex advice, I'd tell him to take a TV job if he doesn't land the Falcons job. Every other job is a trap. Except Oakland, that's just a black hole for first-timers who don't believe they'd ever get a chance, or retreads who don't believe they'll ever get another chance. Rex doesn't need that, not when he can make head coach dollars working part-time. 

I don't belong to an ilk. If I was giving Rex advice, I'd tell him to take a TV job if he doesn't land the Falcons job. Every other job is a trap. Except Oakland, that's just a black hole for first-timers who don't believe they'd ever get a chance, or retreads who don't believe they'll ever get another chance. Rex doesn't need that, not when he can make head coach dollars working part-time.

Weren't you telling me that a high draft pick and lots of cap space makes any job look appealing? What if you throw in a young, inexpensive quarterback that everyone seems to like?

Weren't you telling me that a high draft pick and lots of cap space makes any job look appealing? What if you throw in a young, inexpensive quarterback that everyone seems to like?

Yeah but in Oakland you have to take orders from a guy who looks like Jon Gruden with Down Syndrome.

sound like he works with TPS reports all day

If you poach a team for a GM candidate, you get the director or player personnel or asst GM.  If you look at Miami, the guy you want is Eric Stokes or Joe Schoen

I think woody is overdoing the scout thing a little here.  We don't want an accountant, but we don't want a scout either

Why not, Bradway was (is) a scout.

Damn, I mean I appreciate them doing their due diligence but this seems like a lot of interviews.  

Agree.  I was hoping that someone has stood out and impressed them enough that they stop looking.  I just hope that even though its due diligence, someone doesn't balk or get scooped up somewhere else while the Jets are trying to look under every stone.

Jets will interview Robinson for GM position

by Andrew Vazzano, SNY.tv

The Jets announced that they will interview Jon Robinson for their vacant general manager position.

Robinson is currently Tampa Bay's director of player personnel, a position he was appointed to in May 2014.

From the Buccaneer's press release on Robinson:

Robinson comes to the Buccaneers after 12 seasons with the New England Patriots (2002-13), including two stints (2001-02, '09-11) in which he worked with the Buccaneers' new general manager, Jason Licht. Most recently, Robinson worked as the Patriots' director of college scouting (2009-13) after having served as the team's assistant director of college scouting in 2008. While with the Patriots, Robinson contributed to the drafting of several key players, including wide receiver Julian Edelman (seventh round, 2009), defensive back Devin McCourty (first round, 2010), tight end Rob Gronkowski (second round, 2010), tackle Nate Solder (first round, 2011) and defensive end Chandler Jones (first round 2012).

It's starting to feel like to me the Jets know Quinn is their guy and extending the process to shorten the amount of time of inactivity between the GM hire and his hire.

That is 100% not what is happening, but is what I'm telling myself.

I think I agree on the Quinn part. I think their interview and informal wink wink non agreement included a list Quinn was asked to prepare a list of potential GMs he thought highly of and would be thrilled to work with in building the Jets

This list included a number of people on the Jets list and a few others they agreed to request interviews to complete a full and comprehensive search. The new GM will probably be hired next week. The new HC wink wink not until the Seahawks complete their playoff run

Boomer: Frank Reich Had ‘Very Good’ Interview With Jets

“I don’t want to get into the details of everything that he and I spoke about afterwards,” Esiason said Thursday morning on the “Boomer & Carton” show. “I think this is OK to share with people: number one, your owner is very involved, and your owner is asking very detailed questions, and your owner knows what the hell he’s doing. … Frank said that Woody Johnson is involved. He’s engaged and he is involved."

@AdamSchefter: Jets bringing back Texans dir of college scouting Mike Maccagnan for 2nd GM interview, per league sources. 1st candidate for 2nd interview.

CMART....you think any chance that Casserly is the 'de-facto' GM, and they are looking for a personnel guy to come in here, fix the scouting dept., run a couple of drafts, and then take over GM position in full in 2-3 years? Kind of like their own DeCosta? Or are they just doing a very thorough job in the process?

@AdamSchefter: Jets bringing back Texans dir of college scouting Mike Maccagnan for 2nd GM interview, per league sources. 1st candidate for 2nd interview.

Good, I was hoping to see movement on the GM front this week

Boomer: Frank Reich Had ‘Very Good’ Interview With Jets

“I don’t want to get into the details of everything that he and I spoke about afterwards,” Esiason said Thursday morning on the “Boomer & Carton” show. “I think this is OK to share with people: number one, your owner is very involved, and your owner is asking very detailed questions, and your owner knows what the hell he’s doing. … Frank said that Woody Johnson is involved. He’s engaged and he is involved."

I heard this also, it's good to see that what Woody showed at the press conference is being taken into

these interviews

Archived