Mort...Idzik gone, New GM could decide on Rex

AFJF

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How so? If firing the GM and having the new one decide whether or not to keep the old coach is such a smart direction, why is it not common practice?

general managers job is to manage the team, let him do it. picking guards and safeties in the first round of the draft isn't very smart but its common practice.

I got the sense Rex already has a deal in place with another team. I think Woody wants him gone but doesnt want to pay that final year on his deal. Mike Smiths a goner- so there's that.

I was thinking the same thing...every question about his future at the post-game presser looked like Rex was trying not to laugh...like he knows he's gone but a soft landing already set up.

if Woody hasn't internally revealed any decisions, who is this source?

Connecting some dots here and could be completely wrong...shot a tweet at Leberfield earlier today and he mentioned the Mort story and said Mort is pretty tight with Rex's agent.  That, coupled with the story about the Jets contacting Rex's agent to ask about a replacement means there was obviously some discussion between the Jets and Rex's agent already.  May have said Rex's dismissal is up to the next guy, and questions about some of the coaches he represents if Rex were to be replaced.  Mort's one of the more reliable guys out there IMO.

Connecting some dots here and could be completely wrong...shot a tweet at Leberfield earlier today and he mentioned the Mort story and said Mort is pretty tight with Rex's agent.  That, coupled with the story about the Jets contacting Rex's agent to ask about a replacement means there was obviously some discussion between the Jets and Rex's agent already.  May have said Rex's dismissal is up to the next guy, and questions about some of the coaches he represents if Rex were to be replaced.  Mort's one of the more reliable guys out there IMO.

Only way that makes sense for the Jets is Sexton has already had contact with the Falcons or Bears and both Johnson and the other team are holding back pending agreement to trade Ryan's contract for a 3rd or 4th.Which did in fact happen with Herman Edwards and the Chiefs. The Jets again lead the NFL in weird coaching endings.

Or should I say WOULD MAKE SENSE TO PEOPLE WITH FUNCTIONING GREY MATTER.Plausible that  Woody Johnson is in fact a total moron who after hiring Casserly and Wolf to save him from himself will AGAIN disregard paid professional advice to retain this gorilla. 

Only way that makes sense for the Jets is Sexton has already had contact with the Falcons or Bears and both Johnson and the other team are hodli g back pending agreement to trade Ryan's contract for a 3rd or 4th.

Or should I say WOULD MAKE SENSE TO PEOPLE WITH FUNCTIONING GREY MATTER.Plausible that  Woody Johnson is in fact a total moron who after hiring Casserly and Wolf to save him from himself will AGAIN disregard paid professional advice to retain this gorilla

And be blasted by the fans and the media? Yeah right.

According to Cimini, Rex will be fired tomorrow

Rich Cimini @RichCimini 30s30 seconds ago

Impressive win amounts to nothing more than going-away present for Rex Ryan: MIAMI GARDENS, Fla. -- Rex Ryan w... http://tinyurl.com/p5y3n58

"Bottom line: Ryan is toast. Some of his players spoke of him in the past tense, wishing it didn't have to be this way."

I am not knocking anyone but Dan Quinn and Todd Bowles both appear to be fine DCs. Don't know enough about the talent they are working with. Did either one coach without  CBs who are not NFL quality? Just believe Rex covered the deficiencies with fine schemes and limited talent.

We were 4-12. Wake the f***k up,

Rich Cimini ‏@RichCimini 30s30 seconds ago

Impressive win amounts to nothing more than going-away present for Rex Ryan: MIAMI GARDENS, Fla. -- Rex Ryan w... http://tinyurl.com/p5y3n58

"Bottom line: Ryan is toast. Some of his players spoke of him in the past tense, wishing it didn't have to be this way."

Thank you, God.

Rich Cimini ‏@RichCimini 30s30 seconds ago

I'm so happy I can eat Robins minstrels…and rejoice.

Thank you! These guys act like Rex pulled some great coaching job this season. 4-12 SUCKS!!!

Agreed.  Rex had plenty of chances, but missing the playoffs four years running, regardless of what the GM did or didn't do, generally means that you should lose your job.  Plus, it's not like we were really all that close to the playoffs in three of those seasons.

interesting theory, seems plausible. I guess we'll see. I just thought it was odd that there's a league source on something when Woody hasn't revealed anything.

Archived