Mort saying Idzick & Ryan to be fired on Monday

CobraVerde

New York Jets owner Woody Johnson is now prepared to move swiftly Monday and fire general manager John Idzik and coach Rex Ryan, according to league sources.

Johnson is expected to remove any doubt about Ryan's fate, even though a source earlier suggested the owner could wait for a new general manager to make the call on the popular coach.

[+] Enlargenfl_g_idry_300x300.jpg
Leon Halip/Getty ImagesJets owner Woody Johnson has decided an immediate house cleaning is necessary and it will include John Idzik and Rex Ryan, sources say.

Instead, the owner has decided an immediate house cleaning is necessary for both Ryan and Idzik, sources said Sunday night.

Jets owner Woody Johnson declined comment after his team's 37-24 win over the Miami Dolphins on Sunday. A team official says that Johnson has not internally revealed any decisions he is prepared to make.

Ryan cleaned out his desk this week at the Jets headquarters but sources say he has not been told he is out as the team's coach despite his belief he is done.

Ryan evaded questions about his future after the Jets' win. He said he hasn't spoken to Johnson about his future.

When asked if he'd like to know his fate Monday, Ryan said, "You know, I guess.

"I don't think it's the appropriate time to talk about my situation," he said. "Just understand that I'm not afraid of anything. I'm not afraid of what lies ahead. I can tell you that."

The postgame scene was a stark contrast to last Dec. 29, when Johnson sparked a raucous locker room celebration by announcing to the team that Ryan would return in 2014. This time, Johnson walked briskly out of the locker room, declining to comment. He's expected to hold a news conference Monday, when he will announce the changes.

"Woody will talk to me when he feels it's the appropriate time," Ryan said. "We'll find out in due time. We'll find out. Whenever that is, I think we generally know when these things happen."

More from ESPN.com

cimini_rich_m.jpgThe Jets love Rex Ryan. They want Woody Johnson to grant their coach a stay of Rex-ecution. But it's not happening, and they have no one to blame but themselves, Rich Cimini writes.  Story

Ryan told CBS announcers Saturday in a production meeting he wouldn't be interested in going back to being a defensive coordinator.

"I'm proud to be the coach of the Jets. There's no question about that," he said. "Last time I checked I am under contract, so, you know, whatever happens happens. We'll see how it all plays out."

Idzik also declined to comment, walking away from reporters as he exited the stadium after Sunday's win.

"I'll get you guys later," he said.

Johnson is also considering other changes in the personnel department, sources said.

To help, former Packers general manager Ron Wolf is joining the Jets as a consultant in the likely event that the team is searching for a new coach and/or GM, a league source said. Johnson had already lined up former Redskins and Texans GM Charley Casserly as a consultant.

Casserly reached out to Wolf last week. Both men are highly respected in NFL circles. Wolf actually worked as the Jets' personnel director in 1990-91 under GM Dick Steinberg. Wolf is best known for rebuilding the Packers and winning a Super Bowl in Green Bay.

The Jets beat the Dolphins in what could end up being Ryan's finale as coach. Embattled quarterback Geno Smith had his best game in a rocky season, throwing for a career-high 358 yards and three touchdowns as the Jets finished with a 4-12 record.

ESPN.com's Rich Cimini contributed to this report.

Glad to see Woody is doing the right thing and not picking a GM and letting him decide Rex's fate. Would've been a total gutless move on his part if he had done that.

Glad to see this too.

The longer the previous regime is in place the longer we'll have to wait to potentially move forward towards becoming something resembling a respectable NFL franchise.

Of course, we know that won't happen anyway since this is the New York Jets we're talking about.  They'll find a way to mess it up, they always do.

Woody making big moves. Bravo to him for stepping up and making all the right moves so far. With Casserly/Wolfe around the Jets are in very good hands going forward into an extremely pivotal off-season.

Now let's hope for the Cardinals to lose next weekend so we can get Todd Bowles in here right away. He's the guy for us.

Hope This is true. 

Love Rex, but he impacts our draft picks too much (1st round defense) and we may never have a watchable offense while he is here. He is just a lovable personality thats a glorified DC. 

Hes going to be unemployed for only a few days and do extremely well on the Falcons as all they need is a glorified DC with a franchise QB/WR already there. 

Thanks for everything Rex, had some good times and I've always been a supporter, but it's time to move on.....hope he gets another shot at being a HC and hope our next HC gets us back in contention.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

has Fedora watch started?

Ya, one more year then out if not 9 Ws I assume. Firing DC is usually sign of scapegoat move. His defense so damn tired cause that spread if it doesnt work and they go 3 and out pits Def back on field in literally 2 minutes LOL

Archived