It's official. Woody: Rex and Idzik are fired.

F.Chowds

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2009 was a great playoff run, but never has a team backed into the playoffs more than the Jets did that year.  Aside from that, I believe we had 2 separate 3 game losing streaks in that season and had to rely on the Colts and Bengals basically letting us into the playoffs in order to make that run to Indy.

2010 was really the only quality season that we had under Rex.  And, while 2009 and 2010 were both very enjoyable seasons in which we almost got to the Super Bowl, I can't help but wonder what a good HC might have done with the talent that Rex inherited from Magini's tenure.

Basically, we just wasted the last 6 years and the franchise has been run into the ground.  

Rex left the Jets worse off than they were when he was hired. We are no more relevant now that we were when we had Favre. 

Jets are set on D line, O line is decent. Decker, Kerley and Harvin could be something with the right QB. Ivory is good. Health at DB is a must.

The Jets lost close 1 score games this year vs GB, Det, Minn, Mia, Chi and NE X 2.

Jets are a QB and CB away from being back in business.

I just might watch football next year, after all. I'd have washed my hands of this mess if the buffoon coach and the clueless GM stuck around.

There were a lot of games this year that either were background noise or in 2 cases didn't watch at all. Spare Kotite's last year and traveling in pre-internet 24/7 cable Europe during the Mud Bowl in college I never failed to watch a Jets game since the late 1970s.

Want to see a GM and coach who know what they're doing for a change.

Idzik was the worst thing that ever happened to this franchise.

Agreed.  Created the worst roster in the league and set up the best thing to ever happen to this franchise in a long time to fail.  And now we're starting over.

I know fans are excited and while I'm going to miss Rex, I'm excited too...but this is never a good thing.  I hope fans realize that aspect of this all.  When you're looking for a new Head Coach and GM...you're waving the white flag admitting you're ****ed and accepting that it will be another 3 years before you can expect anything from a results standpoint.

So while its fun celebrating the fires, put things into perspective; this team is far from being relevant. 

Pay up Bit.

What was the bet?

So while its fun celebrating the fires, put things into perspective; this team is far from being relevant. 

We've seen teams make swift changes and become competitive in short order.  Perhaps a bad example, but the Browns became a relevant team pretty quickly after making both GM/HC changes overnight.  And we're a much more attractive destination than Cleveland.

Woody Johnson sucks but he's surrounding himself with smart football people to make his next GM hire.  If he nails it we may be 1-2 years away from being a playoff team.  It is not all that crazy to think that way.

Owner Woody Johnson is expected to address reporters at Jets HQ later Monday morning, but he's already issued the following statement:

"After extensive thought and reflection about the current state of our football team, this morning I informed Rex Ryan and John Idzik that they will not be returning for the 2015 season. Both Rex and John made significant contributions to the team, and they have my appreciation and gratitude for their efforts and commitment. Over the years, Rex brought the Jets a bold confidence and a couple of great post-season runs, which all of us will remember.

I am beginning our search for new football leadership, effective immediately, with guidance and support from respected football experts, including Charley Casserly and Ron Wolf, two Super Bowl winners with decades of valuable experience.

We will consider all options to improve the Jets.

Getting the Jets back on track is my top priority, and today's decisions are important steps towards achieving our goals."

JI was over his head here. Had some horrible luck with injuries and FA's who were lacking gray matter upstairs. Rex had no QB with competency. He never allowed that position to develop. There is no way Geno is better than Sanchez.

It is very difficult to win when the team is broken at the top. It is not that yes men are desired however, a vision for the future, that season, that game which also includes in game adjustments is necessary. We are now well into the next century and it may be 50 years before we sniff a SB.

We are wose off personnel wise with the QB being the most vulnerable position. Just happens to be the most important. I do not mind the Jets getting another defensive wizard. The next coach must understand that the QB must be developed and nurtured.

Can't have the QB coach fapping in preseason and on the sidelines too.

ST's is a wreck. Teams saw too many holes in the FG game this season. PR game is questionable without Harvin who we do need to keep. Can you really trust the next 4th round pick? The GM will make that decision though.

The new GM has to have the desire to win. Even if that means going against Woody. No way should Revis have been in NE this season. Furthermore, the Jets have to keep their best players. That's how teams win.

Agreed.  Created the worst roster in the league and set up the best thing to ever happen to this franchise in a long time to fail.  And now we're starting over.

I know fans are excited and while I'm going to miss Rex, I'm excited too...but this is never a good thing.  I hope fans realize that aspect of this all.  When you're looking for a new Head Coach and GM...you're waving the white flag admitting you're ****ed and accepting that it will be another 3 years before you can expect anything from a results standpoint.

When you're looking for a new Head Coach and GM...you're waving the white flag admitting you're ****ed and accepting that it will be another 3 years before you can expect anything from a results standpoint.

Yeah, like for example, the three coaches let go today. Rex, Harbaugh, and Mike Smith. It took all of them three years to make their teams relevant. None of them were in the playoffs the very next year or anything.

What was the bet?

We've seen teams make swift changes and become competitive in short order.  Perhaps a bad example, but the Browns became a relevant team pretty quickly after making both GM/HC changes overnight.  And we're a much more attractive destination than Cleveland.

Woody Johnson sucks but he's surrounding himself with smart football people to make his next GM hire.  If he nails it we may be 1-2 years away from being a playoff team.  It is not all that crazy to think that way.

The Browns are relevant?

The Head Coach/GM switches around the league havent been too kind to teams over the past few years.  Jim Harbaugh had some quick success and in a bizarre situation is a goner.  Carroll took 4 years to get it right and was looking like quite the joke before finding Wilson. The other Harbaugh has had success but it took him 5 years to get it done and he took over a team from a very well run organization.  

Every other HC/GM change has either been a disaster or didnt do much of a difference for other teams.  I'm not saying you dont make wholesale sweeping changes because of that but the whole process hasnt been very helpful for other teams.  And this is the Jets.  I expect nothing short of a disaster but if for some reason it isnt, then it still going to take a few years.  Especially consider the biggest issue of all....the QB.  If this regime cant fix that, then this was all for nothing. 

Jets are set on D line, O line is decent. Decker, Kerley and Harvin could be something with the right QB. Ivory is good. Health at DB is a must.

The Jets lost close 1 score games this year vs GB, Det, Minn, Mia, Chi and NE X 2.

Jets are a QB and CB away from being back in business.

agree, but will new defense guy be able to design weekly schemes? Rex needed to go cause he fractured team by not embracing whole squad (his Dads downfall in philly), but as Brady admitted, he threw tuffest schemes at Pats over any other DC,,

so while as u say many parts in place and we lost many 1 score games, will we be as innovative and good on defense without the schemes?

The end of the Rex Ryan error means the Jets fans can have true optimism for the future of the Green and White. For too long this has been a team with two leaders, one on defense and one running the offense with hardly any communication between them. On game days this showed up in glaring mistakes and in the day-to-day workings it showed in our QB play. Time to hire a solid personnel guy and let him handpick his HC and that guy will handpick his squad of assistants. Please get rid of David Lee at QB coach. This guy has been here for five years and has done nothing to improve the play of Geno or Mark Sanchez.

Yeah, like for example, the three coaches let go today. Rex, Harbaugh, and Mike Smith. It took all of them three years to make their teams relevant. None of them were in the playoffs the very next year or anything.

You're using examples of 3 guys who just got fired.  lmfao

Needed to happen, and while I wanted Rex fired especially, there is no cause for happiness or celebration in it happening.

Lets hope the Franchise can build and move forward with good hires and good decisions.

Best of Luck Rex....unless you're in the AFC or play the Jets, then sorry, but I hope you fail.

Root the Laundry.

The end of the Rex Ryan error means the Jets fans can have true optimism for the future of the Green and White. For too long this has been a team with two leaders, one on defense and one running the offense with hardly any communication between them. On game days this showed up in glaring mistakes and in the day-to-day workings it showed in our QB play. Time to hire a solid personnel guy and let him handpick his HC and that guy will handpick his squad of assistants. Please get rid of David Lee at QB coach. This guy has been here for five years and has done nothing to improve the play of Geno or Mark Sanchez.

Jets fans have true optimism?  haha.  You dont even know who your GM or Head Coach is.

I'm not a huge Geno supporter but there is no way in hell that Sanchez is accurate enough to ever have a game like Geno just had yesterday! Amaro even dropped a pass right in his hands!

Genos still learning & think he can get better.

Do I want him starting? No, but the dude has proven you can sit him down & he can bounce back, that's a good thing to have at backup

Archived