It's official. Woody: Rex and Idzik are fired.

F.Chowds

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The last three Jets' head coaches made the playoffs in their first year.

The Jets have a high pick and a lot of cap room. A new regime could look to trade Mo Wilk rather than pay him, which would add to the number (or positioning) of their picks, and their cap room. They have enough resources to turn around quickly. They had more than enough this year, too, which is why John Idzik was fired. The only thing that might hold them back from a fast bounce back is the QB position.

It comes down to Casserly and Wolf finding the right guys, and Woody being able to hire them and then stay out of their way.

This is true but both Herm and Mangini had veteran QB's and veteran led teams they were taking over. That's not the case this time around.  The roster is a complete joke and they dont have a Qb.

The money and picks should help...but I dont expect a playoff appearance next year, no matter what kind of offseason they have. 

As for Idzik, I am very happy to see him get fired. However, his plan is the right one. I wouldn't mind a GM coming in and having the same ideas as Idzik. The only thing we can hope for is better execution.

Agreed. I hope yhe pendulum doesn't swimg too far back and we continue to focus on the draft and avoid overpaying FAs. That said, we also need to not draft abysmally, so hopefully that happens.

Jets are set on D line, O line is decent. Decker, Kerley and Harvin could be something with the right QB. Ivory is good. Health at DB is a must.

The Jets lost close 1 score games this year vs GB, Det, Minn, Mia, Chi and NE X 2.

Jets are a QB and CB away from being back in business.

Oh, I agree, there's enough talent on this team that with a good, detail-oriented coach they can be guided towards being competitive. I'm not a believer in needing all-pro talent up and down the roster. 

Idzik was the worst thing that ever happened to this franchise.

lol

I mentioned John.  Fox was 8-8 and that team sucked until Manning.  Tomlin took over a Super Bowl winning team and that was 8 years ago.  Mike McCoy got bounced first round and then missed the playoffs.  Chip Kelly got bounced first round and then missed the playoffs. Sean Payton was 8 years ago, they got bounced first round, went under .500, .500 and then got back into the playoffs. Jim Caldwell, good point.  Overall, your examples arent very strong and havent really proved your point.  At all.  And...all of them had a QB too.

On the flip side: how did Lovie Smith do this year?  Jay Gruden? Ken Whisenhut? Mike Pettine? Bill O'Brien? Mike Zimmer? 

Or how about the years before: Doug Marrone? Marc Trestman? Dennis Allen? Andy Reid? Gus Bradley? Jeff Fisher? 

History isnt kind my friend.  Rex's run his first 2 season, isnt the norm.  Hope we're different but this team sucks something awful so I highly doubt it. 

Well said, I guess some folks will never be satisfied with what they have and think the grass is always greener on the other side, then reality sets in.  It's amazing the optimism we see from the former pessimists, that will last till we lose our first game next year then they'll go back to being themselves. 

His is great news, I don't mind moving down two places as long as we have a fresh start

We are also already have a better coach in no one than Miami who gets to keep philbin, so there's that...

Looks like woody has started off on the right foot this time.

Having cleaned house, and now can bring him a football guy with his football consultants, so far so good!

Well said, I guess some folks will never be satisfied with what they have and think the grass is always greener on the other side, then reality sets in.  It's amazing the optimism we see from the former pessimists, that will last till we lose our first game next year then they'll go back to being themselves. 

This is my favorite part of the reading the board.  The same guys who wanted Idzick fired for constructing one of the worst rosters in the league are now saying that the team isnt too far off.  Okay....

Hey, its all good.  I'm hoping we win the SB next year and the Jets finally find their guy at Head Coach and QB.  I just dont see it happening that quickly.  Not with this roster and this teams history.

And again, I do agree with this move.  Clean house.  Woody got it right for once. 

true, but now at least some real football guys will be involved in the decision making. Have to hope they will come through.

If there's one thing I'm thankful for it's that.  Then again Casserly was the one who said Rex should have been coach of the year last year, so why isn't Rex still on this team?  I guess Charlie and Ron's job didn't start till after the firings.

The best thing about banging your head against the wall is that is feels nice when you stop.  That's what today feels like.

What I will never understand is how anyone can say that Rex has been a good thing for the Jets.  (The morons on commentary yesterday said he "changed the face of the Jets."  Sure, let's go with that metaphor.  Michael Jackson changed his face, too, anyone want to get in on a piece of that action?)

He took a borderline-playoff ready team (they were 9-7 the year before he got here and they missed the playoffs, and he was 9-7 in his first year and got in) and he schemed his way into the AFC title game twice - yes, very nice, and well done.  I have said he's an excellent planner/schemer, and I still stand by that.  But then his schemes wore thin (see 2nd half of almost every "close" game this season) and he let the team's performance disintegrate for two more seasons (8-8 after the 11-5 year and then 6-10) before Idzik got here  and with most of the tools around that got him into the playoffs during those first two years.  Idzik just sped up the process with his incompetence/meddling whatever you prefer to call it - I wonder if we should partially thank him for that and be glad that Woody saw through it and fired him too.

Rex had the resume to get hired as a HC.  He has the personality to rah rah players up.  He doesn't have the tools to win consistently as a HC.  Unfortunately for him, you can only win one for the Gipper once in a while.  Summoning it up on Wk 17 doesn't win superbowls when your team looks like a bunch of clowns in the first 16 weeks.  That's on Rex and I am thrilled that the clown is gone.  If he insists on being a HC somewhere else, he will fail.  You are what your numbers show you are after 6 years. 

Don't let the door hit you, Rexie.

Jets are set on D line, O line is decent. Decker, Kerley and Harvin could be something with the right QB. Ivory is good. Health at DB is a must.

The Jets lost close 1 score games this year vs GB, Det, Minn, Mia, Chi and NE X 2.

Jets are a QB and CB away from being back in business.

A competent OC and OL revamp.

This is my favorite part of the reading the board.  The same guys who wanted Idzick fired for constructing one of the worst rosters in the league are now saying that the team isnt too far off.  Okay....

Hey, its all good.  I'm hoping we win the SB next year and the Jets finally find their guy at Head Coach and QB.  I just dont see it happening that quickly.  Not with this roster and this teams history.

And again, I do agree with this move.  Clean house.  Woody got it right for once. 

Trolled ^^^

I'm not a huge Geno supporter but there is no way in hell that Sanchez is accurate enough to ever have a game like Geno just had yesterday! Amaro even dropped a pass right in his hands!

Genos still learning & think he can get better.

Do I want him starting? No, but the dude has proven you can sit him down & he can bounce back, that's a good thing to have at backup

But don't you know, most of the posters here don't want him back, they'll take anyone, but Geno.  I for one agree with you.  I'm just looking forward to a real QB competition this year where we bring in a viable vet and a draft pick.  Let the best man win.

Especially in the Jets situation. A history of losing, a history of terrible drafting, a history of failing at QB, 2nd fiddle to the Giants. The roster is paper thin, they have no QB, there are much more attractive jobs on the market. It could get worse before it gets better, as much as people dont want to admit it...by no means does cleaning house equal success.

Tell us again how keeping Rex equals success.

If there's one thing I'm thankful for it's that.  Then again Casserly was the one who said Rex should have been coach of the year last year, so why isn't Rex still on this team?  I guess Charlie and Ron's job didn't start till after the firings.

I'm reaching here, but maybe Woody wanted to clean house.  But maybe if Casserly brings in a GM that likes Rex...  maybe?  If he hasn't already taken another job.

Archived