It's official. Woody: Rex and Idzik are fired.

F.Chowds

Good memories, but all went to hell after the 2011 season.  He'll probably go to Atlanta's plug and play squad and win that weak division next year, but won't do much beyond that.  In the end who cares, hopefully the full rebuild works this time.

I'm hoping for Eliot Wolf taking over the front office.  Seems like a young guy with roots to the old NFL via his dad, plus is 100% in tune with the modern game being in GB (a team that builds its team around its QB).  His dad worked here for a bit, so he probably knows what to expect from the media/fan base in terms of abuse.  I really think that's our guy.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I mentioned John. Fox was 8-8 and that team sucked until Manning. Tomlin took over a Super Bowl winning team and that was 8 years ago. Mike McCoy got bounced first round and then missed the playoffs. Chip Kelly got bounced first round and then missed the playoffs. Sean Payton was 8 years ago, they got bounced first round, went under .500, .500 and then got back into the playoffs. Jim Caldwell, good point. Overall, your examples arent very strong and havent really proved your point. At all. And...all of them had a QB too.

On the flip side: how did Lovie Smith do this year? Jay Gruden? Ken Whisenhut? Mike Pettine? Bill O'Brien? Mike Zimmer?

Or how about the years before: Doug Marrone? Marc Trestman? Dennis Allen? Andy Reid? Gus Bradley? Jeff Fisher?

History isnt kind my friend. Rex's run his first 2 season, isnt the norm. Hope we're different but this team sucks something awful so I highly doubt it.

I used them as examples because they are all current head coaches.

And, yes, there are plenty of rookie head coaches that do not find immediate success, however that's not the point. My point was that your whole little spiel about a head coaching change equating to a three year franchise death penalty was nothing more than you talking out of your ass. And I more than proved that point.

And, yes, there are plenty of rookie head coaches that do not find immediate success, however that's not the point. My point was that your whole little spiel about a head coaching change equating to a three year franchise death penalty was nothing more than you talking out of your ass. And I more than proved that point.

I don't see how JiF gets off the mat after this one.

Tell us again how keeping Rex equals success.

I think he could have turned this around.  You act like 4 win seasons were the norm under Rex but they werent.  He's proven that he's a good coach and can win big games.  The Jets lost a good coach today but like I've said over and over again, if you were going to make a change, then this was the right thing to do it.  Clean house.  Start over.  

Thank god it's over. Now please get a GM in here that actually DOES something and takes some risk in free agency. Put together a decent scouting department, hire a decent chief scout that actually has a plan in place before the draft starts. Get a headcoach that is a leader. I could care less about his credentials as a coordinator. There's a reason why NFL teams have offensive and defensive coordinators. It's not so that the head coach takes over one of their jobs!

So long, rat face. And no more god damn snacks, either.

I think he could have turned this around.  You act like 4 win seasons were the norm under Rex but they werent.  He's proven that he's a good coach and can win big games.  The Jets lost a good coach today but like I've said over and over again, if you were going to make a change, then this was the right thing to do it.  Clean house.  Start over.  

where's that bus?

He is 4 games below .500,  before the season he was 8 games above.  Compare that with other Jets coaches over their history and you'll find the only coach over .500 was Parcells who was here only 3 years.  At the 3 year point Rex had a better record to Parcells till they started deconstructing the team.

4 games above 500 not including this season. playoffs are not regular season and the comp was to Harbaugh who is a 71 percent  W/L.

REX lost more games via penalty, timeouts, bad play calls than any JETS coach I can remember. 

But its over, I had some fun with REX but we have had 3 playoff appearances in 10 years. 2006, 2009, 2010.

The JETS are thought of as the Browns across the country.

What exactly would you call the last 4 seasons?

The term I've been using is deconstruction.   Getting rid of Darrell Revis, Antonio Cromartie, LaRon Landry, Damien Woody, Tony Richardson, Ladainian Tomlinson, Dustin Keller, Brandon Moore, Braylon Edwards, and several others without viable replacements is what I call deconstruction.  It was started by Tannenbaum upon signing Santonio Holmes to a $24M guaranteed contract, resulting in destroying the rest of our offense.  Was continued with Idzik when he eliminated two pro bowl CBs and a Safety, and was completed by Woody Johnson when he eliminated the last bastion of those teams by firing Rex.

No you havent.  You started with 3 examples of guys who were just fired.   You moved to examples of guys that I shot down quickly because they had a whopping 1 playoff berth (no wins) which doesnt mean sh*t.  The only one who won a Super Bowl in their first 3 years was Mike Tomlin, who literally took over a Super Bowl winning team.  Otherwise, it took awhile to get there.  Even John Harbaugh who saw immediate success.  It took him 5 years to get over the hump.

You named the anomalies.  I gave you a dozen names of guys who were hired within the last 3 years (which none of your examples were hired within that time frame except Caldwell) and they all suck.

You honestly think that the new Head Coach and new GM come in and get this thing competitive year 1?

I think he could have turned this around. You act like 4 win seasons were the norm under Rex but they werent. He's proven that he's a good coach and can win big games. The Jets lost a good coach today but like I've said over and over again, if you were going to make a change, then this was the right thing to do it. Clean house. Start over.

Missing the playoffs for four straight years was the norm with Rex.

Quick, since we're having so much fun playing "Name the coaches who have done x" games together, name me one coach currently in the NFL that still has their current job after four straight playoff-less seasons.

I'll go ahead and spoil it: there are none after we sh*tcanned Rex.

Rex 100% deserved it and two years over due.

Idzik kind of got the shaft but last years draft was his big downfall.

I honselty think if both of their performances were exactly the same but personalites were swapped half the people wanting to ditch idzik and keep loveable rex would be on the other side of the fence.

In any case, the new people coming in will be in a good spot, high draft pick, flushed with cap space and some very good young players.

One huge benefit of a new head coach?  Perhaps some good assistants rather than rex's misplaced loyaltiy to lousy coaches.

Today's most popular talking point:

"Rex never had any talent, even during the Championship years, this team was always the worst in talent but won purely because of Rex".

/facepalm, amazing how being a big mouthed blustering characture can win fans to defend you so deeply in the face of all the facts.

Jets are set on D line, O line is decent. Decker, Kerley and Harvin could be something with the right QB. Ivory is good. Health at DB is a must.

The Jets lost close 1 score games this year vs GB, Det, Minn, Mia, Chi and NE X 2.

Jets are a QB and CB away from being back in business.

Add Stud LG to that list, and 100% agree!

"Rex never had any talent, even during the Championship years, this team was always the worst in talent but won purely because of Rex".

/facepalm, amazing how being a big mouthed blustering characture can win fans to defend you so deeply in the face of all the facts.

he had lito sheppard and eric smith starting when he beat brady and manning on the road in the playoffs

lets not make it like he can't call a defense and had no value

I'm reaching here, but maybe Woody wanted to clean house.  But maybe if Casserly brings in a GM that likes Rex...  maybe?  If he hasn't already taken another job.

I think you're right, wants new GM to pick his head coach.  Rex is gone for good. They may have asked him if he wanted to be considered (pure speculation), but I doubt Rex wanted to be left hanging considering he'll have some attractive alternatives to the Jets jobs waiting for him.  A clean start must seem a welcome change for Rex considering this past season, plus he'll get to chose his situation. 

Missing the playoffs for four straight years was the norm with Rex.

Quick, since we're having so much fun playing "Name the coaches who have done x" games together, name me one coach currently in the NFL that still has their current job after four straight playoff-less seasons.

I'll go ahead and spoil it: there are none after we sh*tcanned Rex.

I said it was the right thing to do.  Woody finally got it right. 

My point has been all along; this isnt a good position to be in.  Not sure why that's so hard for you to grasp.  If you're firing your GM and your Head Coach, your team is in a bad spot.  This isnt a matter of under performing with the talent. This team is sh*t.  Ground up! Thinking that this day changes everything in the immediate future IMO is very short sighted.  They've got a long way to go.  You dont even know who your Head Coach or GM is at this point.  

I honselty think if both of their performances were exactly the same but personalites were swapped half the people wanting to ditch idzik and keep loveable rex would be on the other side of the fence.

Spot on!

In any case, the new people coming in will be in a good spot, high draft pick, flushed with cap space and some very good young players.

One huge benefit of a new head coach? Perhaps some good assistants rather than rex's misplaced loyaltiy to lousy coaches.

Idzik didn't get the shaft. He got what he deserved.

He took the job knowing that keeping Rex was a requirement. He decided to keep him another year. Once he did that, Rex became his coach.

His handling of the team personnel was atrocious. I was OK with how he approached free agency, but he had to nail his drafts if he was not going to spend on veterans. And his drafts weren't just bad, they were disastrous.

Better to fire him now, than to keep him longer in hopes that he figures things out.

Get a real GM in here.

as of right now there are only 3 HC jobs open and 2 GM jobs

if that holds or is even just 4 and 3 that will work in the jets favor, I think that is pretty low compared to some years

sure more could come as the west coast wakes up, but I'm hoping for a really low number

One huge benefit of a new head coach?  Perhaps some good assistants rather than rex's misplaced loyaltiy to lousy coaches.

You mean the new staff won't want to hold onto Weeks and Thurmond?

On a side note, I know there are a lot of Chad Cascadden guys on this board, ( I've met him a few times great guy )..hes done a great job the last two days on SNY calling it as it is, whether you agree with the firing or not it is great to see a guy on there with no agenda other than what is best for the team and fans.

Agreed. The 2010 team had plenty of talent. Rex should have been fired if he didn't take that team deep into the playoffs.

This move was long overdue, but Woody can't stop here. There are still many more firings that need to take place.

No you havent. You started with 3 examples of guys who were just fired. You moved to examples of guys that I shot down quickly because they had a whopping 1 playoff berth (no wins) which doesnt mean sh*t. The only one who won a Super Bowl in their first 3 years was Mike Tomlin, who literally took over a Super Bowl winning team. Otherwise, it took awhile to get there. Even John Harbaugh who saw immediate success. It took him 5 years to get over the hump.

You named the anomalies. I gave you a dozen names of guys who were hired within the last 3 years (which none of your examples were hired within that time frame except Caldwell) and they all suck.

You honestly think that the new Head Coach and new GM come in and get this thing competitive year 1?

Your exact words were " When you're looking for a new Head Coach and GM...you're waving the white flag admitting you're ****ed and accepting that it will be another 3 years before you can expect anything from a results standpoint."

I didn't write those words. I didn't put anything into your mouth (though I will if you ask nicely). Making the playoffs = getting something from a results standpoint.

Yesterday, there were 32 head coaches in the NFL. 13 of them went to the playoffs in their debut season.

4 games above 500 not including this season. playoffs are not regular season and the comp was to Harbaugh who is a 71 percent  W/L.

REX lost more games via penalty, timeouts, bad play calls than any JETS coach I can remember. 

But its over, I had some fun with REX but we have had 3 playoff appearances in 10 years. 2006, 2009, 2010.

The JETS are thought of as the Browns across the country.

Funny because in the AFC East the Bills got their 2nd winning season this year since 2000 and last made the playoffs in 1999. And the Fins haven't won a playoff game since 2000 having just 2 winning seasons in the last 11 years.. Your logic smells of SOJF..

Idzik didn't get the shaft. He got what he deserved.

He took the job knowing that keeping Rex was a requirement. He decided to keep him another year. Once he did that, Rex became his coach.

Yes so the above sentence means he fully got the shaft as compared to most gms.  He was forced to keep a coach who was lousy, and who had shown no growth  or improvement.

His handling of the team personnel was atrocious. I was OK with how he approached free agency, but he had to nail his drafts if he was not going to spend on veterans. And his drafts weren't just bad, they were disastrous.

Yeah as i said his draft was what killed him and justifiably so, his fa signings fell flat, however most people on here would be looking at a 5 win team with ZERO cap space because he desperately paid guys like DRC 7 year massive contracts.  He avoided a sin many on here would have leapt into, paying premoumprices for mid tier free agents.

Better to fire him now, than to keep him longer in hopes that he figures things out.

No problem with this comment but mot gms get to hire their own coach and get more than 2 years.

Get a real GM in here.

Will be nice for the new gm, he is walking into a team with some nice young talent, a boatr load of cap space and no domineering head coach.  All things Idzick never was afforded.

Archived