Woody Johnson Press Conference today @ 11

neckdemon

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

interesting....i get a totally different sense. 

From watching the press conference I walk away with 2 ideas that are at opposite ends of the spectrum: 

1 - woody really likes the "bellichek" approach to team management.   this is why he was so enamored with mangini.  

2 - woody needs to feel important so it's going to be difficult to get a 'type-a' micro-manager from #1 above. 

Given #1 above I could really see Woody taking a run at Saban.   His season likely won't be over until mid-January but I could see Wolf / Casserly putting out feeler to his agent.  

Of note Sexton is the agent for Saban, Malzahn, and Mora so there could be some truth to last weekends rumor.

Not sure it means anything but Larry Hardesty on ESPn this AM said he hears Wolf and Casserly like either Gamble or DeCosta as GM, and Ken Wisenhunt as HC. Could do a lot worse.

He says he's going to hire the next coach, but will listen to the next GM.

Please send help.

Well this might just be a case of, if I'm getting Bill Cohwer, John Gruden, or say Tony Dungey their gonna bring in their own GM alla Andy Reid in KC.

Well at least I hope, you never know with this buffoon.

Which is totally negated by having the worst basketball team in the NBA in right now.

II'm no fan of Dolan, but looks like he finally gets it. This Knicks' season and probably next year too will suck by design. At least there is now someone who knows what they're doing in charge. Tha Rangers are looking great right now(of course just in time for the Islanders to finally get their draft picks to gell). .

interesting....i get a totally different sense. 

From watching the press conference I walk away with 2 ideas that are at opposite ends of the spectrum: 

1 - woody really likes the "bellichek" approach to team management.   this is why he was so enamored with mangini.  

2 - woody needs to feel important so it's going to be difficult to get a 'type-a' micro-manager from #1 above. 

Given #1 above I could really see Woody taking a run at Saban.   His season likely won't be over until mid-January but I could see Wolf / Casserly putting out feeler to his agent.  

Of note Sexton is the agent for Saban, Malzahn, and Mora so there could be some truth to last weekends rumor.

Woody does seem to have that conflict. I am totally with you on that. I just feel like he can't go out and hire the DB coach for the Bucs again and he knows it.

Not sure it means anything but Larry Hardesty on ESPn this AM said he hears Wolf and Casserly like either Gamble or DeCosta as GM, and Ken Wisenhunt as HC. Could do a lot worse.

am i missing something or isn't Whisenhunt the coach of the 2-12 Titans?   Is he getting fired today?  

I'm serious about Saban.   He is getting up there in years and probably has one more chance to make a run at the NFL.  I think Malzahn is too southern for Woody's wine and cheese company.  

i am having  a hard time figuring out if this is a "good job" or not. we have the cap space, you can bring in your own HC, we have a solid core...but i cant shake the process 2 years ago where we were turned down left and right reportedly. 

That was because Woody was forcing Rex on people. He admitted today that that was a mistake. Not going to do it this time

Woody does seem to have that conflict. I am totally with you on that. I just feel like he can't go out and hire the DB coach for the Bucs again and he knows it.

Exactly.   

He is looking for Mangini micro-management with Rex Ryan personality.    Not sure this guy exists but he would be a hell of a coach.   Maybe that's the draw to Mora jr.    I still think Saban is a dark horse candidate.  

Exactly.   

He is looking for Mangini micro-management with Rex Ryan personality.    Not sure this guy exists but he would be a hell of a coach.   Maybe that's the draw to Mora jr.    I still think Saban is a dark horse candidate.  

why would saban leave his near deity status in college to come back to the nfl after his first failure? besides, I don't want saban anyway

why would saban leave his near deity status in college to come back to the nfl after his first failure? besides, I don't want saban anyway

Why?   because Saban is a narcissist who needs to achieve at the highest level and his first foray into the NFL ended in embarrassment.   He probably gets 1 more chance at it and if not now when?    He has also accomplished everything he can at the college level and he is now in a position where anything but a National Championship is a disappointing season.  

am i missing something or isn't Whisenhunt the coach of the 2-12 Titans?   Is he getting fired today?  

I'm serious about Saban.   He is getting up there in years and probably has one more chance to make a run at the NFL.  I think Malzahn is too southern for Woody's wine and cheese company.

Yes, which is why it's so odd. Not sure if Hardesty doesn't know that or if Wisenhunt is expectint to be fired.

You guys who have been around here for the past few years or so pretty much know how I feel about Woody Johnson. But I have to say that this morning, Woody FINALLY showed some balls, and stood up there all by himself (for perhaps the first time that I can remember) and took every question and answered every one truthfully and from the heart. I was impressed  and pleasantly surprised by his candor. 

I will keep referring to what Maxman said last week; this IS an exciting time to be a Jets fan. I look forward to being an engaged Jets fan once again.

I actually respect the press conference he gave. He was very open and knew more about the teams defiienciensies than I thought he did. Kudos to him for hiring 2 football guys to help lead the search.

Hes a little off on Geno but if he hires the right GM/HC geno will not be an issue

Why?   because Saban is a narcissist who needs to achieve at the highest level and his first foray into the NFL ended in embarrassment.   He probably gets 1 more chance at it and if not now when?    He has also accomplished everything he can at the college level and he is now in a position where anything but a National Championship is a disappointing season.

Not sure people grasp why Saban would be insane to leave Alabama. Div. 1 is now the 2nd biggest sport, he has the best job he could ever hope for, he is ridiculously overpaid, and without the overwhelming advantage he has is recruiting Saban is nothing special. Look, the yahoos in Albama cast his in bronze next to Bear Bryant. You think he's leaving that to start his days being harrassed by Cimini and Mehta?

Pretty amazed that Woody actually paid attention all season. The fact that he rattled off the mistakes in the GB game he sounded like a true fan. He gets it. It was also obvious to him that Idiotzik and Rex weren't on the same page all year. Great job Woody you gave me some faith for the 2015 season. I can't wait to see what comes next.

Pretty amazed that Woody actually paid attention all season. The fact that he rattled off the mistakes in the GB game he sounded like a true fan. He gets it. It was also obvious to him that Idiotzik and Rex weren't on the same page all year. Great job Woody you gave me some faith for the 2015 season. I can't wait to see what comes next.

+1

Woody impressed me for the first time probably ever.

Archived