Westhoff for HC?

Bob

When the Jets drafted Stephen Hill, Westhoff said "that guy's not a football player" to everyone and walked out of the draft room. I'm on board. 

On Dee Milliner's proclamation that he is the NFL's best cornerback:

"I was not very impressed with his rookie year," Westhoff said this week, via NJ.com. "Man, I'm not sure he's the best cornerback up here in Cortland. And I might include the university."

Westhoff also had health issues that were well known. Plus it's uncommon to promote a career ST coach to HC. It happened in Baltimore, and around that time Westhoff was femur-deep in needing a femur replacement. He wasn't even well enough then to be a full time ST coach, let alone a full time HC.

The way things were done in the past, it wasn't even common for someone to be promoted to HC without prior OC/DC experience (successful experience). There was a time, for several years, that the only HC's in the NFL without prior OC/DC experience were Andy Reid and Herm Edwards.

Anyway the point is it's just uncommon. It would have been less of a shock for Westhoff - if healthy at the time - to get a shot at a HC gig than John Harbaugh. He's been around enough offenses and defenses, even if he was "only" the STC.

So we are in an agreement...

No but you said because he was a ST. coach he couldnt possibly be qualified.

Harbaugh is the exception. Westhoff is a perennial ST coach. He's not a few yrs in to his career. Well, he's probably done coaching though anyways.

Archived