Jets request interview with Seattle DC Dan Quinn

Morrissey

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

quinns agent is mike tanneubaum lol

I would consider that a plus. Unless Quinn is a disaster as a HC. Then it was a bad thing.

Tannenbaum worked for Woody for a long time. I don't think there were any desks getting flipped over when he got fired. Of course MT would have slipped and fallen on his ass if he'd tried to, but that's beside the point as I think it was as amicable as firings get.

didn't tannenbaum give up the agent gig when he took a job with miami?

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2014/12/dan_quinn_seahawks_defensive_coordinator_and_morristown_native_on_jets_wish_list_to_replace_rex_ryan.html

In an interesting twist, former Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum—the man fired and replaced by John Idzik, who was also fired Monday—is Quinn's agent. Which means Tannenbaum will now be on the other side of the negotiating table from owner Woody Johnson and Co.

Tannenbaum fired Mangini and the coaching staff which included Quinn as the DL coach.  It's interesting he is now Quinn's agent.  I would think the Seattle guys might not want to work for Woody after the perceived shabby treatment Idzik received from Woody and the fan base.

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2014/12/dan_quinn_seahawks_defensive_coordinator_and_morristown_native_on_jets_wish_list_to_replace_rex_ryan.html

In an interesting twist, former Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum—the man fired and replaced by John Idzik, who was also fired Monday—is Quinn's agent. Which means Tannenbaum will now be on the other side of the negotiating table from owner Woody Johnson and Co.

That should help the interview!

Tannenbaum fired Mangini and the coaching staff which included Quinn as the DL coach.  It's interesting he is now Quinn's agent.  I would think the Seattle guys might not want to work for Woody after the perceived shabby treatment Idzik received from Woody and the fan base.

We'll have a better idea what Seattle thinks of Idzik and any treatment he got here if/when they rehire him or not. And what position they hire him for, or not.

the Jets took $7M of salary and a headache off seattle's hands + they gave them a 6th rd pick for a player seattle was going to cut.   Seattle then proceeded to go 8-1 sans Harvin.   Yes, I'd call that a fleecing.  

Geno coincidentally has his best game as a pro with Harvin sidelined.

I would think any serious GM candidate would be highly concerned with this.   The media covering the Jets and most of the fan base is reactionary and not particularly reasonable and the owner is focused solely on PR.  The way Idzik was treated by all three was disgraceful and will certainly limit the pool of potential GM candidates.

the Jets took $7M of salary and a headache off seattle's hands + they gave them a 6th rd pick for a player seattle was going to cut.   Seattle then proceeded to go 8-1 sans Harvin.   Yes, I'd call that a fleecing.  

Of all the things Idzik did - this, to me, was by far the worst.  Just threw away $7mm in valuable cap space.

All they did was put in a request for a possible future interview. If the next GM wants to hire him, one would hope that would have Quinn keep that door open for another week to field all offers.

I don't think he'll be the type we bring in first, who gets to basically pick his own GM.

Then again, this is the Jets.

If Casserly and Wolf are running this show can we classify this as "the Jets" ?

Interesting that they are flying out there to meet him. Does that mean that they are really interested in the guy? Or do they plan on doing things like this for every candidate?

Looks like Woody is extremely serious about this off-season. Very good news that he's bringing his new posse all over the U.S .with him.

flying out there to meet him is probably just a courtesy to him being the team he coaches is in the playoffs and the guy is probably very busy so rather than him lose an entire day of preparation he only gets tied up for 4 hours

I would think any serious GM candidate would be highly concerned with this.   The media covering the Jets and most of the fan base is reactionary and not particularly reasonable and the owner is focused solely on PR.  The way Idzik was treated by all three was disgraceful and will certainly limit the pool of potential GM candidates.

Agreed. A candidate has to be thinking, a three game losing streak and there will be banners demanding his ouster flying over head and fans throwing towels, topped with a media that literally makes negative stuff up. There's only 32 gigs, but this could well be viewed as the 32nd best.

The only thing I like about this is he is a 4-3 defense guy. The Jets should have been playing 4-3 the last two years.

And where is David Harris playing? Davis supposedly can play both I'm not sure about that.

I do think Brady is more vulnerable to 4-man fronts but we can execute 4-man fronts in the current system anyway

The only thing I like about this is he is a 4-3 defense guy. The Jets should have been playing 4-3 the last two years.

Great news. We definitely should have been playing a 4-3. Also I saw they requested interview with Seattle head if player personnel. They have drafted absolute BEASTS on defense last couple of years.

A combo of those two guys would be a lot to get excited about. Then there's the offense to worry about...good luck with that.

He could be a great coach for all I know, but the Jets NEED an offensive mind. It's been twenty f*cking years and the game is more offense friendly than ever. This organizational philosophy of all defense all the time must end. All defensive coaches. All defensive first rounders. Enough!

As for Quinn himself, who really knows? It's not like he built that defense himself. Their previous coordinator just got a head job two years ago.

Agreed. A candidate has to be thinking, a three game losing streak and there will be banners demanding his ouster flying over head and fans throwing towels, topped with a media that literally makes negative stuff up. There's only 32 gigs, but this could well be viewed as the 32nd best.

You guys are nuts. The Jets are not the Raiders. This is NY. Jets have a top 6 pick and $40 million in cap space. This is one of the most attractive jobs in recent years for a GM. These jobs don't come around everyday. These potential GM's are salivating for this job. If not, then I don't want them here anyway.

Has Quinn ever been a head coach at any level? Does he know anything about offense? I see a resume composed entirely of DL coach and DC. I don't understand this one....

The Jets need to go after the best overall candidates regardless of offensive/defensive background. Based on the # of teams wanting to interview Quinn, he fits that bill.

And where is David Harris playing? Davis supposedly can play both I'm not sure about that.

I do think Brady is more vulnerable to 4-man fronts but we can execute 4-man fronts in the current system anyway

David Harris is a free agent IIRC.  Slowest linebacker in the NFL.  Great tackler, team mate, etc.  but slow as sh!t and a liability out there.  Harris is one of the reasons why opposing TEs have a feast on the Jets defense.  I doubt he will be willing to take on a much smaller salary (he got $15 million last year).  His value is about $2 -3 million.

Why are they interviewing HC candidates without hiring a GM first?  Or is there a GM deal already done with a wink and a handshake that we don't know about?  I certainly hope so otherwise it will be even more obvious how Woody doesn't learn a blessed thing from his past mistakes.

David Harris is a free agent IIRC.  Slowest linebacker in the NFL.  Great tackler, team mate, etc.  but slow as sh!t and a liability out there.  Harris is one of the reasons why opposing TEs have a feast on the Jets defense.  I doubt he will be willing to take on a much smaller salary (he got $15 million last year).  His value is about $2 -3 million.

Why fill holes when you can create new ones? Tight ends have feasted on the jets last 10 years because this franchise insists on garbage-piling sh%t at Safety

Why are they interviewing HC candidates without hiring a GM first?  Or is there a GM deal already done with a wink and a handshake that we don't know about?  I certainly hope so otherwise it will be even more obvious how Woody doesn't learn a blessed thing from his past mistakes.

Because Casserly is really the gm this off-season

Because they won't be able to interview anybody after this week until their respective teams are finished with the playoffs. 

Because Casserly is really the gm this off-season

So then Woody will hire the future GM after Casserly and/or Wolf pick a new HC?  That makes no sense at all.  No... there's something else going on that we don't know about, otherwise Woody is making the same mistake all over again by forcing a HC on any new GM.

Why fill holes when you can create new ones? Tight ends have feasted on the jets last 10 years because this franchise insists on garbage-piling sh%t at Safety

So you would pay Harris an obscene amount to watch how slow he is for another season?  He is not worth the big money anymore.  With him in there, you automatically have a gaping hole in the position in passing situations.  Harris would be a good rotational guy for about 2 - 3 million.  Beyond that, adios muchachos.  He's a real big liability out there.

Archived