Ian Rappaport: Plenty of teams interested in Rex Ryan

bergenjets

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of course there is interest. Rex doesn't suck. He just has no grasp of the offense, is terrible at in game management, clock control, timeouts, challenges, having guys lay in the end zone on kickoffs, developing young offensive players, making halftime adjustments, and adjusting his strategy to the game today.

But he sure can coach up the defense. I imagine he'll catch on somewhere eventually and win something.

Just said this on NFL Network. Interesting for a coach that supposedly sucks.

Wait...the entire WRECKS fan club said a thousand times that their hero would have a new HC job in 15 minutes, maybe only 5 if the Jets fired him

T minus 12 hours 15 minutes and counting and he's not even a foot closer to a phone call than he was yesterday

Maybe teams want a coach who coaches a good game, not just a blowhard who just talks a good game

Wait...the entire WRECKS fan club said a thousand times that their hero would have a new HC job in 15 minutes, maybe only 5 if the Jets fired him

T minus 12 hours 15 minutes and counting and he's not even a foot closer to a phone call than he was yesterday

Maybe teams want a coach who coaches a good game, not just a blowhard who just talks a good game

Don't lump me in there...I said he'd get a HC gig...didn't say when.

Of course there is interest. Rex doesn't suck. He just has no grasp of the offense, is terrible at in game management, clock control, timeouts, challenges, having guys lay in the end zone on kickoffs, developing young offensive players, making halftime adjustments, and adjusting his strategy to the game today.

But he sure can coach up the defense. I imagine he'll catch on somewhere eventually and win something.

Stop telling the truth, you'll hurt the Rex apologists feelings

Personally, I think he's a good short-term coach.  There are lots of good short-term coaches.  Normally, a short-term coach is like Harbaugh or Parcells, and the players can take the berating for some period of time, but eventually get tired of it.  With Rex, it's the opposite.  He builds up the players' confidence, which is good in the short term, but eventually they get lazy.  Plus he doesn't have most of the other technical skills that good coaches have, so players don't really improve.  And obviously his strategic decisions are often questionable.

I absolutely think that in the right situation, Rex can do fine for a short period of time, like he did here.  (Which is definitely a skill that a lot of HC's don't have.)  But it was still time for him to go from the Jets.

I wish him well in his future endeavors.

I dont think weve seen the last of Black Monday folks, now that Rex is available I bet a smart franchise fires their coach to bring him in

:Bill Belichick feels his iPhone buzz in his hand. Looking down, he sees that it's just an email from Groupon. He exhales, wondering when his phone will buzz next, and when it will be Robert Kraft bringing him the inevitable news.:

:Bill Belichick feels his iPhone buzz in his hand. Looking down, he sees that it's just an email from Groupon. He exhales, wondering when his phone will buzz next, and when it will be Robert Kraft bringing him the inevitable news.:

Seems more like a Living Social guy to me.

I'd imagine it was his tinder going off though.

He's one of the best defensive minds in football. That hasn't changed people. Give him a franchise QB, a respectable OC and his teams will probably look pretty good. But he'll need that supporting cast around him. Jets didn't have that. It was time to move on. Adios.

Rex is the Sanchez of head coaches.

Rex is the Sanchez of head coaches.

How? Bc Sanchez is a solid back up QB, horrible starter and Rex is an excellent DC, horrible HC? Thing is though, if you give Rex the already established QB/offense you might be on to something. They gave Sanchez the already established offense and he still ended up blowing it. 

How? Bc Sanchez is a solid back up QB, horrible starter and Rex is an excellent DC, horrible HC? Thing is though, if you give Rex the already established QB/offense you might be on to something. They gave Sanchez the already established offense and he still ended up blowing it.

Not to get too deep into it, but Sanchez needed a strong supporting cast and wasn't going to get you to the promised land on his own. Neither is Rex. And Red blew those championships games and much as his QB did.

I dont think weve seen the last of Black Monday folks, now that Rex is available I bet a smart franchise fires their coach to bring him in

That's hilarious..... You can't be that smart if hiring REX is your solution.

he's better than the bottom third but he has shown no ability to run a complete team.

Not to get too deep into it, but Sanchez needed a strong supporting cast and wasn't going to get you to the promised land on his own. Neither is Rex. And Red blew those championships games and much as his QB did.

I'm reeally interested to see where Rex ends up and what happens. i'll admit i'll be surprised if he gets another HC job off the bat. If he does, if it's with a franchise QB like Ryan in ATL, I could see a lot of initial success. If it's with a team like the Raiders or Bears without Cutler, forget about it, I'll put down good hard cash it's a colossal failure. 

Herm got another job too. Means nothing.

In that case, enjoy your moment of gloating.  I think Rex will not only get another job after the playoffs are over, I think he'll do well at least in a few years.  How soon depends on the state of the team he goes to.  And the state of the GM he works under.

why would Rex coach this year?   He's getting $4M for not coaching.   If he takes a TV job he gets $4M + the TV money.  

it's a little high. try 3 mil from the Jets and 2-3 ish from TV. If another team comes up with a HC job at 5-6 mil it's about the same. 

why would Rex coach this year?   He's getting $4M for not coaching.   If he takes a TV job he gets $4M + the TV money.  

I can think of three reasons off the top fo my head:

1. A new coaching gig may pay more than $4M this year alone.

2. Next year he may not be as much of a hot commodity as Rapoport is alleging he now is, particularly if a bunch of unflattering things get leaked over the next month-plus. In that case, he's passing up a one-time $4M payment, for not coaching, instead of maybe a 4 year $16-20M for coaching again right away (which he probably wants).

3. Not everyone wants to get paid to sit around and do nothing. Some people enjoy working. It's not like an NFL HC spends 50 boring weeks a year filling out TPS reports from his windowless cubicle. 

Of course there's plenty of teams interested in him. He was a great DC and a good head coach.

Unfortunately, he couldn't get the quarterback position figured out and ultimately that's what separates a coach that keeps his job vs one that get's fired.

Kansas city traded a draft pick for Herm Edwards. So yeah, there's that too.

Interesting follow-up to that.

Carl Peterson tampered with the Jets to get Herm. He got off easy, only having to give us a 4th rounder, but still he was willing to give up a higher pick than that if push came to shove, or he wouldn't have so blatantly tampered. In the end it cost Peterson his job, as Herm killed a giftwrapped top-3 offense.

The interesting part is Peterson is now in that same group of ex-GM "expert" consultants, with Casserly and Wolf. Forget who else is in there offhand, but I remembered seeing Peterson's name. Shockingly, Peterson didn't get retained by Woody with Casserly and/or Wolf.

...ok, it's not that interesting.

He's one of the best defensive minds in football. That hasn't changed people. Give him a franchise QB, a respectable OC and his teams will probably look pretty good. But he'll need that supporting cast around him. Jets didn't have that. It was time to move on. Adios. 

Can't wait to get that elusive coach who doesn't need a franchise QB, respectable OC, and a good supporting cast.  Should be easy!

Archived