Ian Rappaport: Plenty of teams interested in Rex Ryan

bergenjets

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Players get tired of it? This team never quit. When we were 3-11, they barely lost to the #1 seed. When we were 3-12 and the entire fan base was rooting for a loss, we they won on the road. The same was true last year too. Say what you will about player development or other technical coaching skills, but player support has never been an issue in the slightest. They played their asses off for him.

Personally, I think he's a good short-term coach. There are lots of good short-term coaches. Normally, a short-term coach is like Harbaugh or Parcells, and the players can take the berating for some period of time, but eventually get tired of it. With Rex, it's the opposite. He builds up the players' confidence, which is good in the short term, but eventually they get lazy. Plus he doesn't have most of the other technical skills that good coaches have, so players don't really improve. And obviously his strategic decisions are often questionable.

I absolutely think that in the right situation, Rex can do fine for a short period of time, like he did here. (Which is definitely a skill that a lot of HC's don't have.) But it was still time for him to go from the Jets.

I wish him well in his future endeavors.

All I have to say is both Herm and Mangini got jobs after they got canned.  It doesn't make them good coaches either.

edit: technically I guess Herm didn't get canned but he would have had it not been one of the greatest draft pick heists in the history of the NFL.

All I have to say is both Herm and Mangini got jobs after they got canned. It doesn't make them good coaches either.

edit: technically I guess Herm didn't get canned but he would have had it not been one of the greatest draft pick heists in the history of the NFL.

Oh yeah. N Herm n Mangina had great post season success here.

How? Bc Sanchez is a solid back up QB, horrible starter and Rex is an excellent DC, horrible HC? Thing is though, if you give Rex the already established QB/offense you might be on to something. They gave Sanchez the already established offense and he still ended up blowing it.

No, maybe because they are both the second best at their positions in the history of the franchise?

Listen I know people are excited to see him go, and probably a year late, but lets not pretend he wasn't the best thing for this franchise since parcels. He had his issues, and far from perfect but certainly not trash.

People also were excited when we fired Tanny who was a great GM, he built a team that was stacked for a two year run, just failed to hit on the QB, most GMs don't get to handle two rebuilds.

But I understand everyone's need to pile on this week.

Wait...the entire WRECKS fan club said a thousand times that their hero would have a new HC job in 15 minutes, maybe only 5 if the Jets fired him

T minus 12 hours 15 minutes and counting and he's not even a foot closer to a phone call than he was yesterday

Maybe teams want a coach who coaches a good game, not just a blowhard who just talks a good game

Hes not the right fit here but he will absolutely be a HC again soon. 

The reaction of this fan base every time one of our coaching disaster leftovers goes somewhere else is uncanny. Chicken little-type sh*t every time. Welcome to the NFL bitches, where the revolving door dominates all. Herm got another job immediately (better yet a team actually gave up a draft pick to get him). Mangini too. Some of you, Christ, grow some ******* balls.

I am interested in a new regime and starting fresh, but then I started thinking a second time. After watching Philbin's press conference after the Miami game, I was thinking how I would never want a coach like that. From afar, many coaches seem better, teams seem more disciplined and have it more together, etc. because we don't live those teams and don't put them under the microscope, like we do with our team.  Maybe Rex wasn't that bad, but the grass is always greener with the other team. I thought Chip Kelly was pretty good from afar, but I read from other posters here how fans hate him in Philly, he's all to blame, only knows one side of the ball.... Soon KC fans willl hate Andy Reid the way people hate Rex. We\ve hated every O.C. we've ever had over the past 15 years....  So what I am saying is, maybe Rex wasn't so bad, it's just that we are so close and every mistake is magnified under the microscope, and if you checked any other coach so closely (other than the elite ones), they would all be majorly flawed.... I hope we didn't blow it with Rex.

Plenty of teams? Hard to imagine since there's only a couple teams that have an opening at HC, including the Jets. And as far as I can tell NOBODY has lined up an interview or anything with Rex. I don't doubt that some teams would consider him for a DC job because that's what he's good at. But I'm 100% sure that nobody is actually considering him for a HC job. Doesn't mean he won't get a HC job next season. Once all the hot names are off the market some team might have to settle for a guy like Rex Ryan. Even Eric Mangini at this point is a higher priority for NFL teams and is more likely to land a HC job. That should tell you all you need to know about Rex.

I am interested in a new regime and starting fresh, but then I started thinking a second time. After watching Philbin's press conference after the Miami game, I was thinking how I would never want a coach like that. From afar, many coaches seem better, teams seem more disciplined and have it more together, etc. because we don't live those teams and don't put them under the microscope, like we do with our team.  Maybe Rex wasn't that bad, but the grass is always greener with the other team. I thought Chip Kelly was pretty good from afar, but I read from other posters here how fans hate him in Philly, he's all to blame, only knows one side of the ball.... Soon KC fans willl hate Andy Reid the way people hate Rex. We\ve hated every O.C. we've ever had over the past 15 years....  So what I am saying is, maybe Rex wasn't so bad, it's just that we are so close and every mistake is magnified under the microscope, and if you checked any other coach so closely (other than the elite ones), they would all be majorly flawed.... I hope we didn't blow it with Rex.

You make good points and we might well rue the day we let Rex go.  But much as I was sort of hoping somehow we could keep Rex, you have to look at the other side.  The new guy might be worse, but at some point you have to draw the line.

Personally, I think that the big problem with Rex was that he was brought in with an OC that was not his choice, and things just never came completely together.  I think Rex can be a good coach but he needs the right people around him, and the front office, head coach and assistant coaching staff, outside the excellent Westhoff, just never quite gelled into that unit.  By now, the opportunity is gone in New York, and the chances are good he'll get another shot either next year or in a couple of years of proving himself yet again an excellent DC.

The Raiders are seeking permission to interview 49ers assistant Eric Mangini to perhaps be the team’s next head coach, reports Fox Sports 1.

Mangini served as the 49ers tight ends coach in 2014 and as an offensive consultant in 2013. Mangini also served as head coach of the Jets from 2006-2008 and then as the Browns head coach from 2009-2010.

Wait...the entire WRECKS fan club said a thousand times that their hero would have a new HC job in 15 minutes, maybe only 5 if the Jets fired him

T minus 12 hours 15 minutes and counting and he's not even a foot closer to a phone call than he was yesterday

Maybe teams want a coach who coaches a good game, not just a blowhard who just talks a good game

Okay, it's early but this is the dumbest thing I've read so far today. I bet it keeps the belt for quite a while.

You'll never hear Idzik's name mentioned again. The guy had no business being a GM.

In fairness to Idzik, he got some terrible breaks.  Third round CB who he is counting on to help in the secondary gets injured, then a few minutes later last year's first round pick who looked like he was coming around goes down for the season.  Our season apparently ended right there.  But the feeling persists that he thought he would use saving money for next year's signings as an excuse to hang Rex with a crap roster, and it backfired.  You take the job under the circumstance that you'll work with the coach, then that's what you do.  You don't stab the guy in the back and then say, "Don't blame me".

In fairness to Idzik, he got some terrible breaks.  Third round CB who he is counting on to help in the secondary gets injured, then a few minutes later last year's first round pick who looked like he was coming around goes down for the season.  Our season apparently ended right there.  But the feeling persists that he thought he would use saving money for next year's signings as an excuse to hang Rex with a crap roster, and it backfired.  You take the job under the circumstance that you'll work with the coach, then that's what you do.  You don't stab the guy in the back and then say, "Don't blame me".

I agree with a lot of this....but to think he saved the cap money in order to lose so he can fire Rex is simply absurd.  It's not even a legitimate consideration.  Many teams carry cap money over - it's standard practice in the NFL

In fairness to Idzik, he got some terrible breaks. Third round CB who he is counting on to help in the secondary gets injured, then a few minutes later last year's first round pick who looked like he was coming around goes down for the season. Our season apparently ended right there. But the feeling persists that he thought he would use saving money for next year's signings as an excuse to hang Rex with a crap roster, and it backfired. You take the job under the circumstance that you'll work with the coach, then that's what you do. You don't stab the guy in the back and then say, "Don't blame me".

He was stuck with Rex for 2013 only.

Then he stood in front of the team in the locker room in Miami last year, with his arm around Rex, shouting "This is our coach!"

Once he did that, Rex became his coach.

so Boomer Esaiason going on CBS and saying the Raiders need to hire Rex because Rex would show up at the press conference with a patch over his eye didn't do the trick?...shocking ....great professional journalism there by Booker by the way.

The reaction of this fan base every time one of our coaching disaster leftovers goes somewhere else is uncanny. Chicken little-type sh*t every time. Welcome to the NFL bitches, where the revolving door dominates all. Herm got another job immediately (better yet a team actually gave up a draft pick to get him). Mangini too. Some of you, Christ, grow some ******* balls.

Bunch of abused spouses in this fan base

I'm still confused at the idea of Rex having this great success in Atlanta. How? By bringing in David Harris and Landry? You're not winning in ATL by stopping the run

ame="T0mShane" post="2640188" timestamp="1419938598"]

so Boomer Esaiason going on CBS and saying the Raiders need to hire Rex because Rex would show up at the press conference with a patch over his eye didn't do the trick?...shocking ....great professional journalism there by Booker by the way.

T plus 25 hours and 15 minutes...

25 hours past the 15 minutes it would take for WRECKS to land his new HC gig.

Apparently, NFL owners are not as blindly in love with the big boasting buffoon and his head coaching incompetence as his fan club at JN are

Archived