Ian Rappaport: Plenty of teams interested in Rex Ryan

Everybody says Atlanta, but the 49ers would actually be a much better fit for Rex's archaic ground n pound strategy. I think Rex in Atlanta would be disastrous. They do not have the personnel that fits Ryan's style.

I they're smart, they'll do what the Colts did with Dungy.  Hire Rex, tell him the whole offensive staff stays in place while he takes care of the defense.  Dungy had defenses that were on par with the Ravens that won the SB IMO and he could never get it done becuase he tried to beat everyone 6-3.  Gruden came in, opened up the offense, and won a SB in his first season, while Dungy went to Indy, left Tom Moore alone, and won a ring.  

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The "best defensive minds" in football do not have a defense that ranked in the bottom half of the NFL in points allowed for 3 straight years.

Wait...the entire WRECKS fan club said a thousand times that their hero would have a new HC job in 15 minutes, maybe only 5 if the Jets fired him T minus 12 hours 15 minutes and counting and he's no

I can think of three reasons off the top fo my head:   1. A new coaching gig may pay more than $4M this year alone.   2. Next year he may not be as much of a hot commodity as Rapoport is alleging

The "best defensive minds" in football do not have a defense that ranked in the bottom half of the NFL in points allowed for 3 straight years.

He's had a top 10 Total Defense except last year when they finished 11th.  Watching every Jets game you can see where special teams and the offense really let the team down in terms of points allowed and field position. The man can coach defense which is obvious given the respect he gets throughout the league even though he can barely complete grammatical sentences and probably never even knew what Sanchez or Geno's second reads were. 

• Upvote 1

No, maybe because they are both the second best at their positions in the history of the franchise?

Listen I know people are excited to see him go, and probably a year late, but lets not pretend he wasn't the best thing for this franchise since parcels. He had his issues, and far from perfect but certainly not trash.

People also were excited when we fired Tanny who was a great GM, he built a team that was stacked for a two year run, just failed to hit on the QB, most GMs don't get to handle two rebuilds.

But I understand everyone's need to pile on this week.

Hmmmm, so you think the Jets should have kept Rex as HC?

That may be a legitimate opinion come next November.  We'll have to wait and see of course but it's not impossible to imagine.  If Rex had a Brady, he'd almost certainly still be our HC and with a lot more wins in his pocket, bad game management aside.

In fairness to Idzik, he got some terrible breaks.  Third round CB who he is counting on to help in the secondary gets injured, then a few minutes later last year's first round pick who looked like he was coming around goes down for the season.  Our season apparently ended right there.  But the feeling persists that he thought he would use saving money for next year's signings as an excuse to hang Rex with a crap roster, and it backfired.  You take the job under the circumstance that you'll work with the coach, then that's what you do.  You don't stab the guy in the back and then say, "Don't blame me".

Good post and I agree with setting up Rex, but regarding CB, first he trades Revis, drafts Milliner (who when he isn't good is injured his first year), then he doesn't resign Cromartie, or Revis. Then he swings and misses on DR Cromartie, then he waits till round 3 to draft a McDougle who fell to the 3rd due to injury issues, then he signs Patterson who never made it to the first game, then McDougle get's injured.  I would venture to say he made his own luck. 

Can't wait to get that elusive coach who doesn't need a franchise QB, respectable OC, and a good supporting cast.  Should be easy!

Problem was the Jets weren't getting that with Rex still around. Yuu have to give the HC some accountability for the QBs and OC's he's trotted out for the last 6 years. Woody tried to change the GM while retaining Rex and look at the best he could come up with.  He needed to go in order for the franchise to move forward. Rex needs the infrastructure already set in place is what I'm saying. Jets need to start from the bottom up and his fat ass would just be in the way from bringing in the type of minds needed to get the franchise on tract. If he stayed they'd just continue to wallow. At least now there's a glimmer of hope. Not having a ton of faith in Woody, at least now there's some hope for the future. 

No, I never said that. I explicitly said that he should go. I'm just not going to call one of the most successful coaches in our teams history a moron and inept.

I respect what he did here, that's all.

That may be a legitimate opinion come next November. We'll have to wait and see of course but it's not impossible to imagine. If Rex had a Brady, he'd almost certainly still be our HC and with a lot more wins in his pocket, bad game management aside.

If Rich Kotite had a Brady, he'd most certainly have more wins in his pocket.

Poor Rex. We failed to provide him with a top ten all-time QB. He deserved so much better.

Um. Rex chose his offensive coordinators. That's on him. No one forced Tony Sparano on him.

That's my point too, to blockheads like Pac. How do you not hold the Head Coach accountable for all phases of the game including the team's record. Yes, Rex has a valued skillset that most other jobless HC's don't have in that he can really coach a Defense, but unless you have your entire infrastructure already in place and you really only want him to come in to coach your defense and give pre/post game interviews, you're fooling yourself. The guy can NOT build a franchise. Which team he ends up with will decide his fate imo. If it's not the Falcons you're gonna see the same sh*t we've seen here. A struggling offense, undisciplined team with horrible in-game management.   

• Upvote 1

I'm reeally interested to see where Rex ends up and what happens. i'll admit i'll be surprised if he gets another HC job off the bat. If he does, if it's with a franchise QB like Ryan in ATL, I could see a lot of initial success. If it's with a team like the Raiders or Bears without Cutler, forget about it, I'll put down good hard cash it's a colossal failure. 

I pretty much agree with this.  I think the interesting one would be Chicago with Cutler.  That could either be a great combo or a complete disaster.  I'd actually like to see it. 

Everybody says Atlanta, but the 49ers would actually be a much better fit for Rex's archaic ground n pound strategy. I think Rex in Atlanta would be disastrous. They do not have the personnel that fits Ryan's style.

SF would be an interesting fit.  As for the Falcons, are you assuming that the team isn't making any moves?  I think Rex is pretty adaptable on D.  I think that part of the problem here has been altering the personnel to fit Ryan's style.  He needs corners, but he has been able to scheme with some fairly pedestrian guys in the front 7.  Devito, Pouha, Marques Douglas, Pace, Thomas.  These guys are not studs.  IMO stacking the front 7 has been a mistake. The Falcons already have Trufant who has been playing pretty well, with Soliai they have two of the most important positions for Rex handled.  Pretty sure Rex dislikes Lowery, but that is of little consequence.  

In fairness to Idzik, he got some terrible breaks.  Third round CB who he is counting on to help in the secondary gets injured, then a few minutes later last year's first round pick who looked like he was coming around goes down for the season.  Our season apparently ended right there.  But the feeling persists that he thought he would use saving money for next year's signings as an excuse to hang Rex with a crap roster, and it backfired.  You take the job under the circumstance that you'll work with the coach, then that's what you do.  You don't stab the guy in the back and then say, "Don't blame me".

Counting on McDougle is a mistake, not a bad break.  Having Patterson as the alternative was also a mistake, not a bad break.  That guy sucked before he went AWOL.  That guy did not like the treatment he was getting from Rex, despite the whole Club Rex mentality around here, I am pretty sure Patterson felt Rex was too hard on him.  I get not burying the guy because they got so think at corner, but it is still on him. 

No one ever says that Sean Payton is limited because he just pays attention to the offense.. And that comes from a coach yesterday on the NFL network..

What is Mike McCarthy telling Dom Capers about Defense? 

If Rich Kotite had a Brady, he'd most certainly have more wins in his pocket.

Poor Rex. We failed to provide him with a top ten all-time QB. He deserved so much better.

If BB had a Brady before 2001 as his QB he wouldn't have had just 1 winning season in his first 6 with the Browns and Pats..

Not to get too deep into it, but Sanchez needed a strong supporting cast and wasn't going to get you to the promised land on his own. Neither is Rex. And Red blew those championships games and much as his QB did.

No coach gets you to the promise land with sh*tty qb

Plenty of teams? Hard to imagine since there's only a couple teams that have an opening at HC, including the Jets. And as far as I can tell NOBODY has lined up an interview or anything with Rex. I don't doubt that some teams would consider him for a DC job because that's what he's good at. But I'm 100% sure that nobody is actually considering him for a HC job. Doesn't mean he won't get a HC job next season. Once all the hot names are off the market some team might have to settle for a guy like Rex Ryan. Even Eric Mangini at this point is a higher priority for NFL teams and is more likely to land a HC job. That should tell you all you need to know about Rex.

Too bad you don't actually know anything.

Wait...the entire WRECKS fan club said a thousand times that their hero would have a new HC job in 15 minutes, maybe only 5 if the Jets fired him

T minus 12 hours 15 minutes and counting and he's not even a foot closer to a phone call than he was yesterday

Maybe teams want a coach who coaches a good game, not just a blowhard who just talks a good game

i need to call foul on this. i wanted rex gone and am not part of the "fan club" but if you really think the people who said 5-15 minutes or whatever meant that literally then you need remedial internet and social skills.

rex will get offers if he wants them. my guess is he goes to the broadcast boost for a year then realizes he is only happy on the sideline.

Too bad you don't actually know anything.

The Raiders are scheduled to interview 49ers TEs coach Eric Mangini for their head-coaching vacancy.

The New York Daily News reports ex-Jets coach Rex Ryan will meet with ESPN on Tuesday.

Too bad you're not the brightest bulb.

He's one of the best defensive minds in football. That hasn't changed people. 

I disagree. Once teams caught on to the overload blitzes his D was quite tame. He never really adjusts his scheme and adapts. He blitzes from different angles and overloads which is not exactly mind boggling. Once he doesn't have the guys he needs (probowl cbs and lbs) he's pretty much average. Which means he really isn't a great d mind. He has a scheme he learned from his old man. 

SF would be an interesting fit. As for the Falcons, are you assuming that the team isn't making any moves? I think Rex is pretty adaptable on D. I think that part of the problem here has been altering the personnel to fit Ryan's style. He needs corners, but he has been able to scheme with some fairly pedestrian guys in the front 7. Devito, Pouha, Marques Douglas, Pace, Thomas. These guys are not studs. IMO stacking the front 7 has been a mistake. The Falcons already have Trufant who has been playing pretty well, with Soliai they have two of the most important positions for Rex handled. Pretty sure Rex dislikes Lowery, but that is of little consequence.

Of course they'll make moves, but that team is truly awful, a fact overshadowed by the fact that they have a good QB and an all-world WR. Their offensive line is terrible and their defense is piss poor on every level. That team doesn't simply need a new coach to kick them in the ass and a few offseason additions. It's a joke that Dmitroff was spared the ax.

So 24 Hours + after "The Firing", and thus far the only published interest in Rex Ryan is by ESPN.

No word yet as to why the Falcons, 49'ers and Bears appear to be refraining for the obviously justified bidding war for Ryan's service in 2015.

i need to call foul on this. i wanted rex gone and am not part of the "fan club" but if you really think the people who said 5-15 minutes or whatever meant that literally then you need remedial internet and social skills.

rex will get offers if he wants them. my guess is he goes to the broadcast boost for a year then realizes he is only happy on the sideline.

He gets paid from Woody 4 million and also from the TV gig.. If he goes right back to a NFL job he doesn't get Woodys money. However if a HC job like the Bears comes calling he may not go the TV road IMO..

• Upvote 1

Too bad you're not the brightest bulb.

You don't know anything.  You're making statements about certain things and passing them off as fact.  If Rex decides he wants to coach next year, he will have at least one offer.  Eric Mangini will have none.  I can promise you that. 

Oh. and Ducasse and Hill still suck.

You don't know anything.  You're making statements about certain things and passing them off as fact.  If Rex decides he wants to coach next year, he will have at least one offer.  Eric Mangini will have none.  I can promise you that. 

How dense are you? The Raiders are considering Mangini. Nobody is considering Rex at this point. Those are the facts.

How dense are you? The Raiders are considering Mangini. Nobody is considering Rex at this point. Those are the facts.

How do you KNOW who is CONSIDERING Rex or not?  You don't.  And the Raiders are considering Mangini?  Wow.  They'll consider anyone with a pulse.  

You have no insight into any NFL front office.  I have heard -- from NFL sources -- that Rex will get another head coaching gig if he wants one.

Rex is the Sanchez of head coaches.

No he's not.  Rex at least does one thing well.  Two if you count teaching DL technique as separate from drawing up a defensive gameplan.  Sanchez did 0 things well.  Both deserved to go, but if Rex really were the Sanchez of coaching, no chance we make the playoffs in '09 and '10.  Rex's strengths helped make up for Sanchez's many weaknesses for a short period of time. 

No he's not.  Rex at least does one thing well.  Two if you count teaching DL technique as separate from drawing up a defensive gameplan.  Sanchez did 0 things well.  Both deserved to go, but if Rex really were the Sanchez of coaching, no chance we make the playoffs in '09 and '10.  Rex's strengths helped make up for Sanchez's many weaknesses for a short period of time. 

If Rex never won a playoff game he would have been the Ken O'Brien of HC's.. :winking0001:

He's a tough hire first not everyone wants a guy that talks nonsense all the time ! 2nd how do u sell a fan base on a coach that just went 4-12 and has had one of the worst offense for 6 yrs ! Some of this lands at Rex's feet it's not all the GMs fault

And what was Herm's record in 2005 when he went to KC??