Is it me or is this approach just stupid?

Villain The Foe

Woody said he'd hire the head coach while taking the advice of the new GM.

This is mostly preparation because a lot of these guys will be inaccessible once the playoffs start.

But, it is kind of stupid but it's the Jets. They've been finding new ways to define stupid for decades now.

I thought this way too...but I dont see the harm in an initial interview and then once the GM is hired have that HC candidate interview again with the GM.

Now, if there is actually a Head Coach hired prior to the GM, then I say we start a  - Sell the team Woody you ******* moron.com site with a billboard on his front lawn.

Why are we looking for the HC before the GM? Shouldn't we be looking for the General Manager and let that guy find (with the support of whomever Woody decides to support) the HC? 

Is this even normal? 

There is a window during the playoffs where we can do some preliminary interviewing. I may be wrong, but it looks as though we're interviewing both coach and GM candidates in that window. My guess is that after we've hired a GM, we may do follow-up interviews.

It makes perfect sense to me that Woody, Wolf and Casserly do prelims just to assess the overall candidate pool and frame some of their hiring parameters.

In other words, it's you.

There is a window during the playoffs where we can do some preliminary interviewing. I may be wrong, but it looks as though we're interviewing both coach and GM candidates in that window. My guess is that after we've hired a GM, we may do follow-up interviews.

It makes perfect sense to me that Woody, Wolf and Casserly do prelims just to assess the overall candidate pool and frame some of their hiring parameters.

I just posted the same thing in another thread. I don't have a problem with it as long as these interviews become recommendations for the new GM - who'll probably come to the job with his own short list of head coaching candidates.

We're not. We're knocking out preliminary interviews with HC candidates now so the GM can move quickly once he's in place.

lol You guys cleared it up for me. Im glad to know that I'm an arse!

But then the GM is only taking the perspective of guys who gave the interview and not off of what he felt during the interview? Then again the GM could always call from a 2nd interview. 

Thats exactly what will happen and what I said.  The GM will have a final interview.

Stop ignoring me.

Woody said he'd hire the head coach while taking the advice of the new GM.

This is mostly preparation because a lot of these guys will be inaccessible once the playoffs start.

But, it is kind of stupid but it's the Jets. They've been finding new ways to define stupid for decades now.

Im sure Casserly and Wolf know exactly what they are doing ... people assume way to much on this site. Clam down they are just doing preliminary interviews to get the Jets name in the hat

Im sure Casserly and Wolf know exactly what they are doing ... people assume way to much on this site. Clam down they are just doing preliminary interviews to get the Jets name in the hat

They should hire Wolf's son that way they get af Wolf pack for the price of one..LOL

one thing is certain--woody will squander the early advantage of being among the first to fire GM/HC by dithering until the top tier candidates are off the board. from his presser yesterday it sounds like he needs to get input from his shoeshine boy before making a move.

one thing is certain--woody will squander the early advantage of being among the first to fire GM/HC by dithering until the top tier candidates are off the board. from his presser yesterday it sounds like he needs to get input from his shoeshine boy before making a move.

You're right, we should'a hired Cowher like, yestda'day, right, yoose guys know Cowher, or mebbi Grudan, would be great, why da hell can't Woody hire them!  We're so tarrible.

I'll take your comments off the air.

Borderline stupid and borderline overkill. Out of all of this wrangling and painful thought process of who is the best guy, the Jets will end up with a GM who  like most  GMs will have around a 30 - 40% success draft rate. The key will be the coach. If Idzik was still GM - it would have been Idzik and Quinn bet on it. The Jets could have done alot worse and to be honest I don't think they are going to do much better after this braintrust process. we shall see.

This would be a good time to get the Rooney rule taken care of so we can hire whomever we wish, despite race, and move quickly.

I'm OK with this.... sift out the chaff for the new GM

People make such a big deal about the Rooney rule. It only requires an interview. Jesus Mary and Joseph the world is screwed because Cassrly has to give one black guy an interview

You're right, we should'a hired Cowher like, yestda'day, right, yoose guys know Cowher, or mebbi Grudan, would be great, why da hell can't Woody hire them!  We're so tarrible.

I'll take your comments off the air.

well im from North Carolina so it would be more like "hey ya'll reckon woody should've saddled up ol' cowher for one last rodeo? that old boy woody will be later than a polecat to a muleskinnin' and we will get bamboozled and left holdin' a pig in a poke come the new year."

then i'd probably fire two six shooters in the air and do a side to side high step.

Last time I checked we're looking for BOTH, we've been interviewing BOTH. You can't just say "oh, let's go find a GM first" and then watch the rest of the league go after the best HC's out there. Who are you going to be left with in the end? Mangini? Rex? Woody is doing the right thing. Get interviews lined up with all the best HC's and GM's that are available.

Im really not sure if this is a situation where the Jets are just keeping that GM search under wraps or if they are in fact looking for a coach first.

Well, considering the quality of hard-hitting journalism that we've come to expect from the beat guys and twitter, there's no way it could be the former.

Borderline stupid and borderline overkill. Out of all of this wrangling and painful thought process of who is the best guy, the Jets will end up with a GM who  like most  GMs will have around a 30 - 40% success draft rate. The key will be the coach. If Idzik was still GM - it would have been Idzik and Quinn bet on it. The Jets could have done alot worse and to be honest I don't think they are going to do much better after this braintrust process. we shall see.

We had to get Idzik off the premises.

With the restrictions the NFL has put in place on when you can talk to HC candidates, the

Jets HAVE to interview both at the same time.  If you only spoke to GM candidates right

now it's possible you wouldn't be able to talk to someone like Quinn until late January 

Archived