Going For DeCosta

KRL

Screw this guy.  Sure, I'd love to have him and it would be considered a huge win if the Jets could pry him away from Balt. but to me, there's seems to be a little bit of a red flag in the fact that he won't even consider interviewing for a GM job.  How long does he want to sit there behind Ozzie and wait?  Why not at least hear what's out there?  I understand not wanting to take the first GM job that comes around but he's turned down every interview that has come along, every single one.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, the OTHER guy implied Decosta would go to a team because he like the coach, specifically theJets if they had Rex still. I pointed out that he already passed on that, meaning it's unrealistic.

Dense.

You're saying Rex couldn't have HELPED get him.  You've concluded that based on the fact that DeCosta passed on the job two years ago.  If you don't see the flaw in that logic, I can't help you.

You're saying Rex couldn't have HELPED get him. You've concluded that based on the fact that DeCosta passed on the job two years ago. If you don't see the flaw in that logic, I can't help you.

Not sure you could help rain stay wet, tbh.

Screw this guy.  Sure, I'd love to have him and it would be considered a huge win if the Jets could pry him away from Balt. but to me, there's seems to be a little bit of a red flag in the fact that he won't even consider interviewing for a GM job.  How long does he want to sit there behind Ozzie and wait?  Why not at least hear what's out there?  I understand not wanting to take the first GM job that comes around but he's turned down every interview that has come along, every single one.

agreed.. Guy could get hit by a bus tomorrow and never be a GM, weird to me... You have a chance to be the guy, you take it

Why would he do that? Why take the risk? Makes no sense whatsoever. Put yourself in his position. He already has the ass. GM title. He's making GM money. He's been there from day one, ever since they moved to Baltimore. He handpicked all the scouts working for the Ravens, he built that place up. He put in over a decade of hard work to finally reap in the benefits at some point, and he's just not going to leave now. It's just not happening. He's not gonna watch somebody else come in and profit off of all the hard work he put in. He's not gonna join a new place and leave everything he put together behind. He's not going to leave a good organization that is always in the playoffs for a team that struggles to make the playoff, for a team that doesn't have an elite scouting department. He signed a contract over there that keeps anybody from offering him more money to lure him out of there. So there's that, too. And if you read up on him, he's a blue collar guy, he doesn't have to see his face in the papers every day, his dad was a hard working guy, he didn't grow up rich, he's extremely loyal. It just makes no sense for him to leave. Has nothing to do with red flags. He knows he's in a great spot, it's not gonna get any better for him. Like I said earlier, the guy he worked under (Phil Savage) did the exact opposite like 5 years ago. He left because he didn't want to wait. He was being viewed as the next big thing. He joined the Browns and a year or two later he got fired and he's been out of football ever since, he can't find another job. It's just common sense, of course he's gonna stay there. The only way he leaves is if Ozzie tells him he's gonna stick around for another 5+ years or so but I highly doubt that...

ANYWAY. There's other good candidates out there that might work out better for us, we'll see.

Why would he do that? Why take the risk? Makes no sense whatsoever. Put yourself in his position. He already has the ass. GM title. He's making GM money. He's been there from day one, ever since they moved to Baltimore. He handpicked all the scouts working for the Ravens, he built that place up. He put in over a decade of hard work to finally reap in the benefits at some point, and he's just not going to leave now. It's just not happening. He's not gonna watch somebody else come in and profit off of all the hard work he put in. He's not gonna join a new place and leave everything he put together behind. He's not going to leave a good organization that is always in the playoffs for a team that struggles to make the playoff, for a team that doesn't have an elite scouting department. He signed a contract over there that keeps anybody from offering him more money to lure him out of there. So there's that, too. And if you read up on him, he's a blue collar guy, he doesn't have to see his face in the papers every day, his dad was a hard working guy, he didn't grow up rich, he's extremely loyal. It just makes no sense for him to leave. Has nothing to do with red flags. He knows he's in a great spot, it's not gonna get any better for him. Like I said earlier, the guy he worked under (Phil Savage) did the exact opposite like 5 years ago. He left because he didn't want to wait. He was being viewed as the next big thing. He joined the Browns and a year or two later he got fired and he's been out of football ever since, he can't find another job. It's just common sense, of course he's gonna stay there. The only way he leaves is if Ozzie tells him he's gonna stick around for another 5+ years or so but I highly doubt that...

ANYWAY. There's other good candidates out there that might work out better for us, we'll see.

Good point. Sometimes, where you work feels like more than a job. Sometimes you are lucky enough where your job feels like a second family. If they are paying him right, and he and his family are happy in the situation that they are in, sometimes there are people who don't feel the need to chase that bump in pay when they already have everything they ever wanted. It's a real possibility.

ANYWAY. There's other good candidates out there that might work out better for us, we'll see

But other people are already reaping the benefits of his hard work, he's not the GM Ozzie is and I have not heard anything indications Ozzie's retiring.  Again, I'm not denying he's in a great position he should absolutely be picky he's earned that right but to not ever even interview for a GM job is something to take notice of in my mind. As great as he's considered to be the fact still remains he's not an NFL GM right now and if he continues to wait in Balt. it may be 10 more years before he is.

It seems they're already paying him upper-tier GM money in Baltimore, and he's been with the organization since 1996. The implications made in the past is that this current, lucrative 3 yr deal with Baltimore - which expires in January - prevented him from going elsewhere to be another team's GM. Presumably Baltimore wouldn't sign him to a deal like that if he was just Ozzie's pissboy. 

And beyond that, it would seem he loves it there and feels a lot of loyalty to the team. He's 43 and has been with them since he was 25, when the team first moved to Baltimore.

I'd be very happy if we were able to pry him away, but it's not a personal flaw of his if he doesn't want to leave the Ravens, particularly if they're paying him better than most full GMs anyway.

But other people are already reaping the benefits of his hard work, he's not the GM Ozzie is and I have not heard anything indications Ozzie's retiring.  Again, I'm not denying he's in a great position he should absolutely be picky he's earned that right but to not ever even interview for a GM job is something to take notice of in my mind. As great as he's considered to be the fact still remains he's not an NFL GM right now and if he continues to wait in Balt. it may be 10 more years before he is.

What's the worst thing that could happen if he sticks around? He can still take any job he wants either next year, in 2 years, 3 years, 4, 5, 6 years. His value only goes up the longer he stays there because of how successful that organization is and how smart they are with their picks. As long as Harbaugh & Ozzie are around, that team will stay up there and compete for the playoffs each year (Harbaugh's role) and make sound decisions in the offseason (DeCosta / Ozzie). If Harbaugh gets fired I'd probably leave that sinking ship, but until then I'd just stay there and hope for Ozzie to retire ASAP. And from what I've read as I mentioned earlier, he doesn't want to be in the spotlight, he's not desperately trying to get promoted, he's not going crazy and poking Ozzie in the ribs asking him when his time's gonna come. The guy loves that place over there, he's making good money, he loves the people he's working with, the people he trusts, he's in a perfect situation. He barely says a word, he doesn't give any interviews unless he's talking prospects. I'm a big fan of his, every year this DeCosta thing goes through my mind in the offseason. I'd love for us to somehow get him. But because from reading up on him I know he's not gonna leave that place I'm just trying to keep myself and anyone else really from getting their hopes up. If it happens I'd be thrilled of course. I'd be thrilled if we got Revis back this offseason as well but that's just as (un-) likely.

Because he is loyal to the ownership and his team, They reciprocated and paid him like a top GM. He has everything he wants A superbowl ring, Public Acclaim, respect from his peers.

What's the worst thing that could happen if he sticks around? He can still take any job he wants either next year, in 2 years, 3 years, 4, 5, 6 years. His value only goes up the longer he stays there because of how successful that organization is and how smart they are with their picks. As long as Harbaugh & Ozzie are around, that team will stay up there and compete for the playoffs each year (Harbaugh's role) and make sound decisions in the offseason (DeCosta / Ozzie). If Harbaugh gets fired I'd probably leave that sinking ship, but until then I'd just stay there and hope for Ozzie to retire ASAP. And from what I've read as I mentioned earlier, he doesn't want to be in the spotlight, he's not desperately trying to get promoted, he's not going crazy and poking Ozzie in the ribs asking him when his time's gonna come. The guy loves that place over there, he's making good money, he loves the people he's working with, the people he trusts, he's in a perfect situation. He barely says a word, he doesn't give any interviews unless he's talking prospects. I'm a big fan of his, every year this DeCosta thing goes through my mind in the offseason. I'd love for us to somehow get him. But because from reading up on him I know he's not gonna leave that place I'm just trying to keep myself and anyone else really from getting their hopes up. If it happens I'd be thrilled of course. I'd be thrilled if we got Revis back this offseason as well but that's just as (un-) likely.

You're assuming they'll be good for the next 4,5, or 6 years.  Sure history says they should be but you know how this league works.  All it takes is one or two bad seasons and he'd be off a lot of teams radars immediately.  Strike while the iron's hot.

You're assuming they'll be good for the next 4,5, or 6 years.  Sure history says they should be but you know how this league works.  All it takes is one or two bad seasons and he'd be off a lot of teams radars immediately.  Strike while the iron's hot.

No he will not be, maybe fans but not nfl people. NFL people know that you go a couple or years without hitting in the draft.  If Idsik had 4 good drafts then he had the past two, he would have not been let go.

DeCosta has turned everyone down.  Nothing to do with Rex.  It's because he wants to stay in Baltimore and take over after Ozzy.

It certainly is the safe thing to do IMHO this guy doing this shows he has no balls. This team needs a GM with Balls who is not afraid to make the move he thinks is right. This guy guarantees himself a job for quite a while by not straying away from Ozzie.

Why would DeCosta want to change teams is the real question.

As mentioned above, he works for the top GM in the NFL, who by all accounts he really likes, and is happy in his job. Is paid like a GM, and has a guarantee that he will be GM for the Ravens in the future.

Considering the NFL life span of GM's he has great job security. Being with the same team for 18 years is a very rare thing. You also have to consider family issues. Most NFL HC/FO types are moving their families every couple of years.

DeCosta has three kids all under the age of 10, they have probably lived in the same neighborhood, with the same friends all their lives. Why would he want to uproot them, when he has a great life?

ONly way to get him out of there, if there is any way, is to make him the highest paid GM in the NFL, and guarantee him total control.

Even then not sure he would go

Why would DeCosta want to change teams is the real question.

As mentioned above, he works for the top GM in the NFL, who by all accounts he really likes, and is happy in his job. Is paid like a GM, and has a guarantee that he will be GM for the Ravens in the future.

Considering the NFL life span of GM's he has great job security. Being with the same team for 18 years is a very rare thing. You also have to consider family issues. Most NFL HC/FO types are moving their families every couple of years.

DeCosta has three kids all under the age of 10, they have probably lived in the same neighborhood, with the same friends all their lives. Why would he want to uproot them, when he has a great life?

ONly way to get him out of there, if there is any way, is to make him the highest paid GM in the NFL, and guarantee him total control.

Even then not sure he would go

u r right, only way is tons of cash, total control,,but even then ernie may be one of those guys who says 2 million ad 5 million are still more than I can use,,so stay where I/family happiest

agreed.. Guy could get hit by a bus tomorrow and never be a GM, weird to me... You have a chance to be the guy, you take it

Work for Bisciotti, a guy that made an organizational scandal like the Rice debacle go away after two weeks; or Woody Johnson, a guy whose top priority this year was banning the throwing of footballs in the parking lots. Yeah, I'd say that's worth the wait.

Some people would want to get out of the shadow and make a name for himself.  What if he came to the Jets and did well, and Baltimore faded?  He would get credit for being the brains behind the Ravens' success.  Some coordinators like the gig, get big money, and don't have half the headaches that the head coach have.  Some still want to be the head guy.  Maybe at 43 DeCosta will start to want to be the head guy.  We'll see.

What's there to strike? He's being paid like a GM. He's doing what GM's do. He has the ass. GM title. His family is settled and happy there, he works under a guy he has looked up to in Newsome his entire career. He doesn't want to leave. He said he doesn't want to leave. Why don't people get it?

I checked ESPN just now and he hasn't turned us down yet.  So hopefully he's at least thinking about it.  If he were a definite no then he probably would've said so already, much like Saban did immediately.

Could be a lot of things going on. Maybe he's trying to get some more money out of Ozzie. Maybe he wants the job,but Mrs DeCosta is saying, "If your going to NY, your going with out me"

Work for Bisciotti, a guy that made an organizational scandal like the Rice debacle go away after two weeks; or Woody Johnson, a guy whose top priority this year was banning the throwing of footballs in the parking lots. Yeah, I'd say that's worth the wait.

Continuing winning in Baltimore it's expected, win in NYC.. your king

Archived