So, the Jets may or may not have contacted Holmgren

T0mShane

I need more though...who would he bring in for D??

Same offense he ran in Green Bay? Doesn't excite me.

Holmgren major upgrade over Rex but something about it I don't like....maybe it's because he's been away from the sideline for too long--that gives me pause.

I think it would be awesome as long as the supporting cast is in place, good GM, OC, DC, etc...

Just heard on the FAN that Holmgren is interested in coaching again and that he's already been contacted by a few teams. I think this would be a great hire, personally. I know his Browns tenure was a disaster, but everyone's Browns tenure is a disaster.

I'd love Holmgren.  Love it.   

What would this mean for our relationship? 

He looks like the fat old guy from "Cacoon"

I'd rather we went elsewhere... Kubiac, Quinn are still tops on my HC list

Pa-Pow...another Kubiak fan!!! Right on, Boozer!!! Right on!!

Ivory 1600 yds!!!!

The fat guy from cocoon is Wilfred Brimley I think.

Holmgren scares me...I love it...but it scares the bejesus out of me. My spidey-sense feels danger.

Michael George Holmgren (born June 15, 1948) is an American football coach and executive, most recently serving as president of the Cleveland Browns of the National Football League (NFL). Holmgren began his NFL career as a quarterbacks' coach and later as an offensive coordinator with the San Francisco 49ers, where they won Super Bowl XXIII and XXIV. He served as the head coach of the Green Bay Packers from 1992 to 1998, appearing in two Super Bowls, and of the Seattle Seahawks from 1999 to 2008. Prior to his career in the NFL, Holmgren coached football at the high school and collegiate levels.

Holmgren is noted for his role in molding quarterbacks such as Steve Young, Brett Favre, Matt Hasselbeck, and Brandon Weeden during his tenures in San Francisco, Green Bay, Seattle, and Cleveland, respectively. Joe Montana won his two MVP awards under the direction of Holmgren in 1989 and 1990. Under Holmgren's leadership and play-calling the Green Bay Packers were consistent winners and never had a losing season. He became known[by whom?] as one of the best coaches in the NFL, leading the Packers to their 12th league championship in Super Bowl XXXI. Under Holmgren the Seahawks also became a frequent playoff team, including five division titles and the franchise's first Super Bowl appearance in 2005. As president of the Cleveland Browns, Holmgren failed to improve the team, which had a record of 5–11 the season before his arrival, and 14–34 in the seasons since. Despite Holmgren's reputation as a quarterback guru, the Browns fielded three opening-day starters in his three years with the team. In the face of much criticism in the media of his tenure, Holmgren was released by the Browns in November, 2012.

He misses coaching now. At 67 years old when the season starts, he'll probably start missing retirement. If prefer something with the potential to be a long term solution.

My thoughts exactly. What does he have, three years in him, at most? And then we have to do this all over again? The plus side is that he'd be able to build a legitimate coaching staff without any problem. There wouldn't be any Jeff Weeks floating around the sidelines on Sundays.

Assistant coaching positions would be particularly attractive since candidates know they'll be lined up for a head coaching job whenever Holmgren retires, so there's that I guess.

Just heard on the FAN that Holmgren is interested in coaching again and that he's already been contacted by a few teams. I think this would be a great hire, personally. I know his Browns tenure was a disaster, but everyone's Browns tenure is a disaster.

Replace Browns with Jets and still troo

agree, holmgren coach and ron wolf Jr (so pop (holmgren history) keeps a close eye) or seattle kirchner (holmgren history) as GM

I'd be great with Holmgren. What's all this sh*t about needing a long term face of the franchise? Sure, that'd be nice, but there is not a slam dunk exciting, innovative candidate out there. Three or four years of Holmgren going Parcells style on this sh*t sounds good to me.

Michael George Holmgren (born June 15, 1948) is an American football coach and executive, most recently serving as president of the Cleveland Browns of the National Football League (NFL). Holmgren began his NFL career as a quarterbacks' coach and later as an offensive coordinator with the San Francisco 49ers, where they won Super Bowl XXIII and XXIV. He served as the head coach of the Green Bay Packers from 1992 to 1998, appearing in two Super Bowls, and of the Seattle Seahawks from 1999 to 2008. Prior to his career in the NFL, Holmgren coached football at the high school and collegiate levels.

Holmgren is noted for his role in molding quarterbacks such as Steve Young, Brett Favre, Matt Hasselbeck, and Brandon Weeden during his tenures in San Francisco, Green Bay, Seattle, and Cleveland, respectively. Joe Montana won his two MVP awards under the direction of Holmgren in 1989 and 1990. Under Holmgren's leadership and play-calling the Green Bay Packers were consistent winners and never had a losing season. He became known[by whom?] as one of the best coaches in the NFL, leading the Packers to their 12th league championship in Super Bowl XXXI. Under Holmgren the Seahawks also became a frequent playoff team, including five division titles and the franchise's first Super Bowl appearance in 2005. As president of the Cleveland Browns, Holmgren failed to improve the team, which had a record of 5–11 the season before his arrival, and 14–34 in the seasons since. Despite Holmgren's reputation as a quarterback guru, the Browns fielded three opening-day starters in his three years with the team. In the face of much criticism in the media of his tenure, Holmgren was released by the Browns in November, 2012.

I like that he has high school coaching experience. I hate that we let Pettine get away. :)

Archived