Feel like Todd Bowles is the front runner

RESNewYork

I'll give you SF, but from a Defensive standpoint and nearly $40 mil in cap space, all it would take would be an Offensive minded coach who can get something from this Offense and I think we're in pretty good shape.

Chicago and Atlanta have terrible defenses. SF is the most balanced team by far.

Yeah but we only have cap room because Idzik neglected the talent on the team and we now have a Swiss cheese roster. That $40 mil is going to go quick once you start plugging holes at CB, Safety, Olb, Ilb (if we don't resign Harris), OL, WR, TE and oh btw we still need a qb. And the media is obsessed with killing us.

Very desirable job.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, what about the work Gruden did in Oakland?  He turned that team around too.  Played his old team in the Super Bowl that year.

Dungy did make a terrible team relevant but he did it with the ground work, believe it or not, that Sam Wyche put in building that team with Sapp, Brooks, Nickerson and Lynch the nucleus of those dominate D's.

Im not saying that Gruden did horribly. You were the one talking about someone being overrated, not me. Another thing, talking about what some person provided in respects to players and watching Dungy make something out of it isn't some sort of indictment on the man. When Dungy had a group of players who were defense heavy, he really developed the team to their strengths. When he was in Indy and everything was Peyton Manning, he maintained that strength and provided that poor ass defense with a bend dont break philosophy with the Tampa 2, drafted Dwight Freeney who went on straight beast mode. Then in the following year drafted Robert Mathis and really turned it up. 

To ask me "what about Gruden" is kinda making it seem like I said he was the one overrated. When comparing him to Tony Dungy, absolutely, but he did a good job as a coach in his own right. 

Yeah but we only have cap room because Idzik neglected the talent on the team and we now have a Swiss cheese roster. That $40 mil is going to go quick once you start plugging holes at CB, Safety, Olb, Ilb (if we don't resign Harris), OL, WR, TE and oh btw we still need a qb. And the media is obsessed with killing us.

Very desirable job.

I don't think it's as one sided as your making it out to be. It's NY, you're strong on both lines, OL could use another piece. You have cap space and the 6th pick. The major hole is QB, but for most teams looking for HC the QB spot is a question mark. If you're the guy who comes in and builds a winner in NY you'll be loved forever. It definitely has its cons, but some pros.

Very desirable job.

Atlanta has a ton of FA's on Defense and only $25 mil in cap room.

Chicago has to replace Tillman and Briggs but has $29 mil in space. And what to do with Cutler? Trade or keep huge contract and hope for best.

We'll see what happens...

I don't think it's as one sided as your making it out to be. It's NY, you're strong on both lines, OL could use another piece. You have cap space and the 6th pick. The major hole is QB, but for most teams looking for HC the QB spot is a question mark. If you're the guy who comes in and builds a winner in NY you'll be loved forever. It definitely has its cons, but some pros.

This.

Chicago does not have a good OL and DL. Atlanta has a terrible "D" period. Their OL didn't help the running game from what I saw this year.

You're right.

Simeon Rice and Warren Sapp had long productive careers post SB win.

The team got old. Period. And Gruden did a hell of a job in Tampa getting a few playoff berths out of some not so talented teams.

And it wasnt Gruden's responsibility to draft and replenish? The heck type of excuse are we dealing with here, and for you to then say it was Dungy who was overrated when Gruden gets nothing but excuses for not drafting and keeping things together. thats too funny. 

When Dungy went to Indy and all they had was Peyton Manning and Marvin Harrison, there was nothing else, especially of the defensive side of the ball. All Dungy did was go out and draft:

Dwight Freeney

Robert Mathis

Dallas Clark

Cato June

Bob Sanders

Joseph Addai

Antoine Bethea

In 7 years Dungy drafted 7 pro bowlers. 5 of the 7 pro bowlers were on the defensive side of the ball. THATS how Dungy won his championship. 

How many pro bowlers did Gruden draft in his time with the Bucs? 1. 

Aint sh*t overrated about that man Dungy. 

How did this become the Dungy/Gruden discussion thread? Seems that would be better suited for the Holmgren thread to me. One big retired guy conversation.

Bowles or Quinn sound good to me. At the same time this franchise is offensively starved. Any news on Gase? Kubiak is an offensive guy but im just not sold on him personally. I'd pass on McDaniels.

If they're going with another promoted coordinator, they could do a lot worse. Neither guy would upset or excite me. I'm hoping the search makes its way onto the college head coaching ranks. The idea of a guy who's had success running an entire program looking to take the next step in the pros appeals to me.

This is true. I know for me I am kind of hoping that the best coach is an offensive guy. But if they go with a defensive minded guy I don't care, as long as he can fix this offense.

I'd think that after Rex, large portions of the interview process will focus on the prospective candidates' plans for turning around the offense.

How did this become the Dungy/Gruden discussion thread? Seems that would be better suited for the Holmgren thread to me. One big retired guy conversation.

If they're going with another promoted coordinator, they could do a lot worse. Neither guy would upset or excite me. I'm hoping the search makes its way onto the college head coaching ranks. The idea of a guy who's had success running an entire program looking to take the next step in the pros appeals to me.

I'd think that after Rex, large portions of the interview process will focus on the prospective candidates' plans for turning around the offense.

Chip Kelly-esque?

You're forgetting that Gruden got a career year out of Brad Johnson who was pretty terrible the year before with Dungy.  Johnson had another good year but it didnt equate to winning the following season....SB hangover?  Idk. The D regressed with age and losing Sapp.  But they had QB problems after that but Gruden somehow managed to get that team to 11 wins with Chris Simms and Brian Griese after that 5 win season.  They had another bad one and then had back to back 9-7 seasons before he retired with Garcia. 

He got them back to the playoffs twice.  That's far from horrible.

You also said that they key guys such as Sapp, Lynch and Brooks were already on the team when Dungy got there so everything he did somehow doesnt count. Dungy got there the year after Sapp and Brooks were drafted, and 3 years after Lynch was drafted. NONE OF THESE GUYS were pro bowlers until Dungy got there. Sapp was if I'm correct rookie of the year his rookie year. Outside of those guys the buds had no one. 

From 1996 to 2001 Tony Dungy drafted: 

Mike Alstott 

Donnie Abraham

Warrick Dunn

Ronde Barber

Al Harris

Martin Gramatica

Gruden simply didnt get 3 HOF players in Sapp, Brooks and Lynch, He got 6 surrounding pro bowl players to compliment these HOF players and THATS how Gruden won his championship. 

In 13 years Tony Dungy has drafted 13 pro bowlers. he averages one drafted pro bowl player per season. Whats even more awesome is that of the 13 pro bowlers he's drafted, only 4 were 1st rounders. Can Jon Gruden say this? Highly doubt it brother. 

How many has Gruden Drafted? 2 maybe 3. I know he drafted Charles Woodson which was a no brainer and another first rounder for the Bucs. 

Tony Dungy is far from overrated, he's more underrated simply by such comments. 

Most definitely.

What about Tony Dungy? He's been critical (in a respectful way) of the Jets in the past. Maybe he should come and show what he would do. I'd like to see Tony as our HC.

Leave that bible thumping, zero imagination having, prejudiced hypocrite right where he is... spewing regurgitated verbal diarrhea with Mike Florio on NBC. As a Jew, a minority of a different type, I find his defense of Michael Vick and comments regarding Michael Sam a nauseating contradiction of ideals. A member of one minority being intolerant of another... just terrible.

The LGBT community of the tri-state area would be justifiably none to pleased with Dungy.

This Olbermann rant is perfect.

http://deadspin.com/keith-olbermann-blasts-tony-dungy-1608868014

Leave that bible thumping, zero imagination having, prejudiced hypocrite right where he is... spewing regurgitated verbal diarrhea with Mike Florio on NBC. As a Jew, a minority of a different type, I find his defense of Michael Vick and comments regarding Michael Sam a nauseating contradiction of ideals.

The LGBT community of the tri-state area would be justifiably none to pleased with Dungy.

Ahem.......The entire Bible OT & NT was written by Jews>

Ahem.......The entire Bible OT & NT was written by Jews>

I think you misinterpret how I meant "bible-thumping." It was meant to disparage those that use the words to discriminate and/or intimidate others. Personally, I think both OT and NT are nothing but mind-controlling fiction... but I have no issue with people that do deem it an important part of their lives UNLESS it becomes a tool to justify intolerance. Like Dungy.

As a brief aside, why does every potential Jets Coach, Front Office guy, or player have to have ties to the NY/NJ area?

Seems like that is a selling point people always make when talking about guys who may come here "he has ties to NY/NJ".

I could care less if they hate the scum-filled cesspool that is the NY/NJ area, I want a guy who can win a Title, not a guy whose Aunt lived in Babylon for a few years.

The fact some guy went to elementary school in Valley Stream or once visited Queens means nothing.

Strongly disagree. My #1 requirement for both our next coach and GM is having an aunt that lived in Babylon.

I think you misinterpret how I meant "bible-thumping." It was meant to disparage those that use the words to discriminate and/or intimidate others. Personally, I think both OT and NT are nothing but mind-controlling fiction... but I have no issue with people that do deem it an important part of their lives UNLESS it becomes a tool to justify intolerance. Like Dungy.

Where's that ignore Button?????

Leave that bible thumping, zero imagination having, prejudiced hypocrite right where he is... spewing regurgitated verbal diarrhea with Mike Florio on NBC. As a Jew, a minority of a different type, I find his defense of Michael Vick and comments regarding Michael Sam a nauseating contradiction of ideals. A member of one minority being intolerant of another... just terrible.

Did you just call him a bible thumper yet say that you're a Jew and just used that as your reason why you disagreed with some of his actions? 

Please lets keep this one to the topic bro. lol. 

Did you just call him a bible thumper yet say that you're a Jew and just used that as your reason why you disagreed with some of his actions?

Please lets keep this one to the topic bro. lol.

Fine. I do not want a gay-hating bigot coaching the NY Jets... good enough?

Ok Harris let's not start a holy war here

Archived