Feel like Todd Bowles is the front runner

RESNewYork

1. His bigotry is not limited to sexual preference. He's also a racist.

2. Gruden is clearly not less than half the coach that Dungy is.

3. I haven't done this with you for some time, and forgot you're the only one who doesn't just let me win by out-long-posting others. You have no exhaustion level with typing, and I'm on my cellphone now and this is as much as I can type in a post. So you have now offended me in this regard.

I'll leave it at this: I'm right and you are wrong.

You can last-word me now.

You could have just given me a "touché" and called it a day!  :winking0001:

Seriously though, Dungy is a racist? what happened? Im more of a Morgan Freeman guy myself. 

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You could have just given me a "touché" and called it a day!  :winking0001:

Seriously though, Dungy is a racist? what happened? Im more of a Morgan Freeman guy myself. 

I remember he had 1 criterion for Seattle hiring him as pres of football operations. That they had to promise they would only hire an AA head coach even if someone better was available. Seattle, through Korn-Ferry, refused to exclude a candidate - namely, Carroll - based on skin color, so Dungy withdrew his interest in he position.

I remember he had 1 criterion for Seattle hiring him as pres of football operations. That they had to promise they would only hire an AA head coach even if someone better was available. Seattle, through Korn-Ferry, refused to exclude a candidate - namely, Carroll - based on skin color, so Dungy withdrew his interest in he position.

Ya Dungy basically hid his buddy Herm on tampa Coach staff as CB coach (one of very few non Coord named HCs, of course a Jet like move) and when Tampa def did well with Kiffin as DC, the Jets like dummys thought Herm was a large part of it, mainly due to Dungy lying about Herms involvement w/Kiffin and scheme/weekly gameplan. That apparaently wasnt true. 

Ya Dungy basically hid his buddy Herm on tampa Coach staff as CB coach (one of very few non Coord named HCs, of course a Jet like move) and when Tampa def did well with Kiffin as DC, the Jets like dummys thought Herm was a large part of it, mainly due to Dungy lying about Herms involvement w/Kiffin and scheme/weekly gameplan. That apparaently wasnt true.

I believe Herm the DBC was handed the title of Asst HC, over both of Dungy's coordinators.

Not quite SJ..The League office was in NY and Tags was under fire at the time from OJ's old lawyer Johnny Cochran who was threatening a law suit if more minority coaches weren't hired. Hermie was in the NFL's minority coaching and massage parlor program.. :winking0001:  Plus no NY franchise had ever hired a minority HC, so with Groh going back to college and the Jets having 2 QB's in place one of which was part of the 2000 four 1st rd picks the stage was set for the Flim Flam BBQ man to move on up to a penthouse in NY.. No way would Tags have let Hermie go to team that may fail in year 1..The Squeeze was put on Woody and the rest as they say is history...

So at least I know why you and others are so passionate about Dungy not being as good as he was. 

Was this story confirmed to be true? Is there a link? I never even heard about this. I'd love to hear his reasoning or version of these allegations. 

Things like this is why we should ban affirmative action in the states....and fraternities! lol. 

So at least I know why you and others are so passionate about Dungy not being as good as he was.

Was this story confirmed to be true? Is there a link? I never even heard about this. I'd love to hear his reasoning or version of these allegations.

Things like this is why we should ban affirmative action in the states....and fraternities! lol.

I don't care if he's racist. Everyone is at least a little racist. If they say otherwise, they are lying.

I doubt anyone criticizing Dungy is swayed by the hatred he holds in his heart. The criticism of his head coaching record is more than justified by his lack of results and the verbal blowjays given to him by the yourself and the media.

I don't care if he's racist. Everyone is at least a little racist. If they say otherwise, they are lying.

I doubt anyone criticizing Dungy is swayed by the hatred he holds in his heart. The criticism of his head coaching record is more than justified by his lack of results and the verbal blowjays given to him by the yourself and the media.

You're such a bigot! :-)

ANOTHER defensive coach? What sense does this make? How many times in a row are we going to hire defensive coaches as the HC of this team? Rex, Mangini, Herm... all defensive side of the ball. Our offense has never look as bad as I've seen it the past  few years. We need someone who knows offense. 

ANOTHER defensive coach? What sense does this make? How many times in a row are we going to hire defensive coaches as the HC of this team? Rex, Mangini, Herm... all defensive side of the ball. Our offense has never look as bad as I've seen it the past few years. We need someone who knows offense.

Parcells, Belichick, Fox, Carroll, Shula, Lombardi...yessir...defensive coaches all stink!!

Parcells, Belichick, Fox, Carroll, Shula, Lombardi...yessir...defensive coaches all stink!!

Lombardi was the Giants OC in the 1950s at the same time Tom Laundry was their DC partly while he was still playing defensive back. Problem isn't being a DC, it's not gasping offense. All of your other examples understood that. 

Not quite SJ..The League office was in NY and Tags was under fire at the time from OJ's old lawyer Johnny Cochran who was threatening a law suit if more minority coaches weren't hired. Hermie was in the NFL's minority coaching and massage parlor program.. :winking0001:  Plus no NY franchise had ever hired a minority HC, so with Groh going back to college and the Jets having 2 QB's in place one of which was part of the 2000 four 1st rd picks the stage was set for the Flim Flam BBQ man to move on up to a penthouse in NY.. No way would Tags have let Hermie go to team that may fail in year 1..The Squeeze was put on Woody and the rest as they say is history...

Also partly because the NFL had just authorized and recommended Woody Johnson's lower bid over the Dolans. So probably (certainly!) Johnson felt compelled to do do as Commissioner Tagliabue asked him to do. it was still early January, and the playoffs were still going, so some assistant coaches could not be interviewed,specifically John Fox then of the Giants and Marv Lewis of the Ravens. Both of their teams did advance to the Super Bowl, and Lewis,as you know, is in fact a. African-American, b. more qualified and smarter in every way than Herman Edwards and c. has had a way better if sometimes rocky HC career than Herman Edwards.  

I believe Bowles went 2-1 that season as the interim HC.

Also think one of the victories came against the Jets.  May be mistaken

Yup. With Matt Moore no less.  That was Jason Taylor's send off game.  Bowles and Quinn are hands down my two favorites as of right now.  The Marrone opt-out makes things wayyy more interesting but I'm leaning more towards the other two before anyone else.  I'm also a fan of Adam Gase, but if Wolf and Casserly don't like him enough to bring him in then I trust their opinion.

I believe Bowles went 2-1 that season as the interim HC.

Also think one of the victories came against the Jets.  May be mistaken

I like what I see from Bowles. He's young and looks like a non nonsense type of guy.  A 180 from Fart boy. 

No, that's part of why I just don't like him. Independent of that, I think he is a monumentally-overrated head coach.

No, that's part of why I just don't like him. Independent of that, I think he is a monumentally-overrated head coach.

I can respect why you dont personally like the man. But he's a fine head coach because that's what his record under multiple organizations and a Superbowl win will reflect. 

A coach who is overrated is Bill Belichick. Billy had just one winning season in his coaching career with multiple teams (Browns, Pats) before Tom Brady. Tom Brady made his career. In Belichick's first 6 seasons as a coach, 5 with the browns and 1 with New England, he had just 1 winning season which came in 94 with the browns and he had 1 playoff appearance with 1 playoff win. To compare, in Dungy's entire career he only had one losing season which was in his rookie coaching year. In his first 6 years he made the playoffs 4 times, had 6 playoff game appearances with two playoff wins. 

Bill Belichick has coached the the Patriots for 15 years. Two of those 15 years Belichick did not have Tom Brady as Quarterback, both years the Patriots missed the playoffs. Bill Belichick has just one playoff appearance without his QB being Tom Brady (Vinny Testaverde in Cleveland), Tony Dungy has 4 playoff appearances without Peyton Manning as his QB (Trent Dilfer, Shaun King & Brad Johnson) and he never had a QB throw for 3,000 yards in a season until he his last year with the bucs (Brad Johnson) and all of his QB's threw at least 11 ints in every season on top of the fact of never reaching at least 3000 yards passing. 

The only monumentally-overrated head coach that I know of is Bill Belichick. Tony Dungy did it everywhere he went, but his greatest years happened when he had a QB who at the time people called overrated as well. Bill Belichick came across possibly the greatest QB in the history of the game in the 6th round and didnt even know he had it until Mo Lewis injured Bledsoe. 

Warfish, on 30 Dec 2014 - 2:28 PM, said:

As a brief aside, why does every potential Jets Coach, Front Office guy, or player have to have ties to the NY/NJ area?

Seems like that is a selling point people always make when talking about guys who may come here "he has ties to NY/NJ".

I could care less if they hate the scum-filled cesspool that is the NY/NJ area, I want a guy who can win a Title, not a guy whose Aunt lived in Babylon for a few years.

The fact some guy went to elementary school in Valley Stream or once visited Queens means nothing.

I'm with you. Who gives a $hit where these guys aunt(s) Mabel grew up? Go out and GET THE BEST GM and HC regardless of where they come from.

I can respect why you dont personally like the man. But he's a fine head coach because that's what his record under multiple organizations and a Superbowl win will reflect. 

A coach who is overrated is Bill Belichick. Billy had just one winning season in his coaching career with multiple teams (Browns, Pats) before Tom Brady. Tom Brady made his career. In Belichick's first 6 seasons as a coach, 5 with the browns and 1 with New England, he had just 1 winning season which came in 94 with the browns and he had 1 playoff appearance with 1 playoff win. To compare, in Dungy's entire career he only had one losing season which was in his rookie coaching year. In his first 6 years he made the playoffs 4 times, had 6 playoff game appearances with two playoff wins. 

Bill Belichick has coached the the Patriots for 15 years. Two of those 15 years Belichick did not have Tom Brady as Quarterback, both years the Patriots missed the playoffs. Bill Belichick has just one playoff appearance without his QB being Tom Brady (Vinny Testaverde in Cleveland), Tony Dungy has 4 playoff appearances without Peyton Manning as his QB (Trent Dilfer, Shaun King & Brad Johnson) and he never had a QB throw for 3,000 yards in a season until he his last year with the bucs (Brad Johnson) and all of his QB's threw at least 11 ints in every season on top of the fact of never reaching at least 3000 yards passing. 

The only monumentally-overrated head coach that I know of is Bill Belichick. Tony Dungy did it everywhere he went, but his greatest years happened when he had a QB who at the time people called overrated as well. Bill Belichick came across possibly the greatest QB in the history of the game in the 6th round and didnt even know he had it until Mo Lewis injured Bledsoe.

There are some things we're never going to agree upon. That's because, unlike me, you're stubborn.

There are some things we're never going to agree upon. That's because, unlike me, you're stubborn.

I totally disagree with that statement! And dont say that was stubborn of me to do lol. 

Anytime we, or anyone else for that matter, have debated and a good point was brought up that was contrary to my position I've always acknowledged it. Stubborn people dont do that Sperm. Whats funny is that during our debates, I have yet to see you tell me "Good point", and I know I've had some. You always have a response on why your position is the correct one. Actually, its your stubbornness that keeps these debates pretty entertaining and intense, because you're stubborn without having to get all internet thuggery on people when they dont agree. In this conversation I've acknowledged and accepted that you dont like Dungy, you think he's a bigot. I even told you that I respected the fact that you're taking such a firm stance because whether right or wrong, taking a stand and not moving imo builds character. Everything in this conversation that I either couldn't speak on or I felt was a possibility I either gave you full credit on or benefit of the doubt. I simply haven't seen you type anything that shows how Dungy is a bad coach or even an overrated one. I gave you specific examples on why I felt he was a legit coach and I also gave you an example of what I thought was an overrated coach. 

Doubt I'm the stubborn one here Sperm. 

I totally disagree with that statement! And dont say that was stubborn of me to do lol. 

Anytime we, or anyone else for that matter, have debated and a good point was brought up that was contrary to my position I've always acknowledged it. Stubborn people dont do that Sperm. Whats funny is that during our debates, I have yet to see you tell me "Good point", and I know I've had some. You always have a response on why your position is the correct one. Actually, its your stubbornness that keeps these debates pretty entertaining and intense, because you're stubborn without having to get all internet thuggery on people when they dont agree. In this conversation I've acknowledged and accepted that you dont like Dungy, you think he's a bigot. I even told you that I respected the fact that you're taking such a firm stance because whether right or wrong, taking a stand and not moving imo builds character. Everything in this conversation that I either couldn't speak on or I felt was a possibility I either gave you full credit on or benefit of the doubt. I simply haven't seen you type anything that shows how Dungy is a bad coach or even an overrated one. I gave you specific examples on why I felt he was a legit coach and I also gave you an example of what I thought was an overrated coach. 

Doubt I'm the stubborn one here Sperm

Sperm may feel getting you to agree with him is like pulling teeth something he is really good at.. :winking0001:

Doubt I'm the stubborn one here Sperm. 

My friend, I was making a joke. Sorry, I thought it was obvious sarcasm.

Archived