Rex Has two HC inteviews next week

AFJF

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I predict more of this:

"Again the great thing is, I am going to be true to myself. I said that the day I took the job whether we win, lose, or draw I am going to be true to myself. When I walk out this door and I am not going to make this thing guaranteed, but I am thinking twenty years. When I walk out this door I am going to be like I did it my way. The one shot…I am going to get one shot in life to be a head football coach in this league and I am going to do it my way and have no regrets. You know, what I know I am a great defensive coach. I'm trying to become a great head coach. I know I will be."

Well, the circus clown was right about that one chance part. No NFL team with half a brain is hiring him to be their 1/3 of a Head Coach

Of course, the Raiders don't have half a brain with Mark Davis in charge and are hot after Eric Mangini so I guess they are a possibility

Who's job is it to focus his team on the task at hand? And in this case who treats every win as grounds for a Thanksgiving Day parade of celebration? What message does that send to the players?

If Revis said that the team was unprepared for the game, that would all be on the coach but he didn't say that. He said that they didn't know what was at stake which shows that football players must be lot more stupid than originally thought. Even the most casual fan understands that winning the game means that you are in the Super Bowl do I don't see how professional players need to be reminded that it is an important game. It is an insanely stupid comment by Revis.

If Revis said that the team was unprepared for the game, that would all be on the coach but he didn't say that. He said that they didn't know what was at stake which shows that football players must be lot more stupid than originally thought. Even the most casual fan understands that winning the game means that you are in the Super Bowl do I don't see how professional players need to be reminded that it is an important game. It is an insanely stupid comment by Revis.

He was distracted planing his next hold out so that's understandable.. I always wondered what Jimmy Johnson told the team before getting killed in the playoffs by the Jags 62-7.. That had to be Marino's worst beating ever..

Really, coaches have nothing to add in these situations. Coming out flat would have nothing to do with a coach.

Really, coaches have nothing to add in these situations. Coming out flat would have nothing to do with a coach.

If it was a question of preparation, yes it is up to the coach. If it is understanding what is at stake in the AFC Championship game, only a babbling idiot would not understand what was at stake. Apparently Revis is one and according to him, so was most of the team

If it was a question of preparation, yes it is up to the coach. If it is understanding what is at stake in the AFC Championship game, only a babbling idiot would not understand what was at stake. Apparently Revis is one and according to him, so was most of the team

Not even sure why there are coaches. Should not even put records next to their name. They are more like cruise directors.

Heck, Rex had the parade route mapped out, the players should know not to be flat.

This...I've said before that in all the sports I played as a teen and in all the jobs I've had as an adult, I've looked to my coach/leader/boss to let me know what's expected and how to prepare for it.  Never once, have I been on my way to work and wondered how "fired up" the coach/boss was going to tell me to be.  It comes from within...if you don't care about what's at stake then it's nobody's fault but your own.

Not even sure why there are coaches. Should not even put records next to their name. They are more like cruise directors.

Heck, Rex had the parade route mapped out, the players should know not to be flat.

I can't help you with your reading comprehension issues, good luck with that.

This...I've said before that in all the sports I played as a teen and in all the jobs I've had as an adult, I've looked to my coach/leader/boss to let me know what's expected and how to prepare for it.  Never once, have I been on my way to work and wondered how "fired up" the coach/boss was going to tell me to be.  It comes from within...if you don't care about what's at stake then it's nobody's fault but your own.

So motivation does get springs  from a coach? 

In one point you said you DID look to your boss to let you know how you prepare, I agree. Did you ever upgrade rank? If so, was that done with a motivating discussion of new expectations? Or, was it done with a 'Hey, you know how to act, go at their and have fun"?

AFJ-Do leaders set a tone?

So motivation does get springs  from a coach? 

In one point you said you DID look to your boss to let you know how you prepare, I agree. Did you ever upgrade rank? If so, was that done with a motivating discussion of new expectations? Or, was it done with a 'Hey, you know how to act, go at their and have fun"?

There's  a very, very, very, very, very, annoyingly very cliche saying in sports and it's the old "if you can't get up for this game, then you don't belong here" and as much as I hate it, it's true.  If you're a pro athlete and not fired up for a shot at the super bowl, it sure as hell isn't the HC's fault.  It Comes from within...you care or  you don't.

As far as military promotions, different world.  Training should be done because as you advance, there are new aspects of your job that you may have never seen or done before.  Barring one or two guys on a team changing positions, if you're in the NFL, you've done your job for years.  

It's not as if somebody comes up to Kyle Wilson and says "Kyle, welcome to your fourth season, today we're going to teach you man-to-man".  In that Steelers game, guys knew their jobs and we saw them repeatedly in position to make plays on defense which is what the coach is supposed to do...put them in position to make plays.  Sadly, against Pitt..they spent the first half not doing their jobs.

There's  a very, very, very, very, very, annoyingly very cliche saying in sports and it's the old "if you can't get up for this game, then you don't belong here" and as much as I hate it, it's true.  If you're a pro athlete and not fired up for a shot at the super bowl, it sure as hell isn't the HC's fault.  It Comes from within...you care or  you don't.

As far as military promotions, different world.  Training should be done because as you advance, there are new aspects of your job that you may have never seen or done before.  Barring one or two guys on a team changing positions, if you're in the NFL, you've done your job for years.  

It's not as if somebody comes up to Kyle Wilson and says "Kyle, welcome to your fourth season, today we're going to teach you man-to-man".  In that Steelers game, guys knew their jobs and we saw them repeatedly in position to make plays on defense which is what the coach is supposed to do...put them in position to make plays.  Sadly, against Pitt..they spent the first half not doing their jobs.

So, the speeches that coaches do, at all levels, at halftime, before games, those are all for show and pomp and circumstance? ok, lets forget those.

Are you saying that there is not a psychological element of the game, where teams develop a mentality and similar approach as a unit? Teams do not reason as a unit?

Did the Force never try to motivate you before a mission? Tell me, because I am not from that world.

I will tell you, at the corporate sector, I manage leaders at VP levels. You would think that professionals at that level would be self motivated. To some degree they are.BUT, they also tend to become stale in their management style and approach. And I look at it as a responsibility to driect them and shape the way the look at things, and to paint the bigger picture.

And you did not answer my question-Do leaders set a tone?

Maybe that is just me in my world.

Further question-Do you think it is at all possible that the Jets treated the Patriots game AS their Super Bowl? That the Jets put sooo much emphasis on that, that they emptied the tank? Did you see the way they reacted after that game? 

Is there even a remote chance. AFJ?

So, the speeches that coaches so, at all levels, at halftime, before games, those are all for show and pomp and circumstance? ok, lets forget those.

Are you saying that there is not a psychological element of the game, where teams develop am mentality and similar approach as a unit? Teams do not reason as a unit?

Did the Force never try to motivate you before a mission? Tell me, because I am not from that world.

I will tell you, at the corporate sector, I manage leaders at VP levels. You would think that professionals at that level would be self motivated. To some degree they are.BUT, they also tend to become stale in their management style and approach. And I look at it as a responsibility to driect them and shape the way the look at things, and to paint the bigger picture.

Agreed....  Management is more important than employees in so many ways.   Systems that allow employees to excel are monitored and developed by great management.  Without them... disarray occurs.  Look at Starbucks.  When Howard Schultz stepped away, it fell in market share and innovation.  Same with Dell.  

Leadership is absolutely needed, for without it, great employees leave.

So, the speeches that coaches so, at all levels, at halftime, before games, those are all for show and pomp and circumstance? ok, lets forget those.

Are you saying that there is not a psychological element of the game, where teams develop am mentality and similar approach as a unit? Teams do not reason as a unit?

Scot while I do agree the HC sets the tone sometimes the team doesn't perform.. In 1986 playoffs I'm sure Bill Walsh gave Montana and company a great game plan and didn't expect to get crushed 49-3 by the Giants..

Scot while I do agree the HC sets the tone sometimes the team doesn't perform.. In 1986 playoffs I'm sure Bill Walsh gave Montana and company a great game plan and didn't expect to get crushed 49-3 by the Giants..

No doubt. Sometimes, you just get whipped, and the HC may have done everything possible. It happens.

Sav-You are a very reasonable thinker-After seeing how the Jets coaches and players acted as they came off the fired vs the Patriots, that they had a "mission accomplished" manner to their actions? Did that seem to reverberate in their play the following week?

Agreed....  Management is more important than employees in so many ways.   Systems that allow employees to excel are monitored and developed by great management.  Without them... disarray occurs.  Look at Starbucks.  When Howard Schultz stepped away, it fell in market share and innovation.  Same with Dell.  

Leadership is absolutely needed, for without it, great employees leave.

Of all my responsibilities that I am charged with-MENTORSHIP and GROWING employees is listed as my greatest charge. 

So, the speeches that coaches do, at all levels, at halftime, before games, those are all for show and pomp and circumstance? ok, lets forget those.

Admittedly, I'm the wrong guy to have this conversation with.  For all of my adult life I've seen "motivational speeches" as being a bunch of BS that's needed to inspire people who aren't all that bright, and have no interest in being where they are.  I usually sit through the "motivational" stuff and shake my head, looking at the clock, and wondering who really needs that sh&t.  We're all adults, we all know our job/mission/purpose.  Like it or not, do it.  

I remember getting briefed about rules of engagement when I did a little time in Baghdad and I was dumbfounded.  I literally couldn't believe what the guy in front of me was saying, but I knew he was just "ticking a box" as a leader to be able to say he'd "briefed" me.  I sat through his rant, rolled my eyes, and moved on with my life.  Not a word of what he said made a bit of difference in my time there.

If there are NFL players on the verge of the super bowl who fall under the "having no interest in being where they are" then IMO, you can't undo that.  At their core, people are who they are and a rah rah/pom pom thing isn't going to do anything.

Now, can a coach set the tone?  Again, just my opinion, but I don't think so.  I think he can try, and for the players who are on the same page and want to succeed, they will jump on board and yell and scream with him and get a little bit more fired up...that's a possibility  However,  I don't think you can sway a guy from not caring, to caring by simply saying "this is our house...blah blah blah"

Admittedly, I'm the wrong guy to have this conversation with.  For all of my adult life I've seen "motivational speeches" as being a bunch of BS that's needed to inspire people who aren't all that bright, and have no interest in being where they are.  I usually sit through the "motivational" stuff and shake my head, looking at the clock, and wondering who really needs that sh&t.  We're all adults, we all know our job/mission/purpose.  Like it or not, do it.  

I remember getting briefed about rules of engagement when I did a little time in Baghdad and I was dumbfounded.  I literally couldn't believe what the guy in front of me was saying, but I knew he was just "ticking a box" as a leader to be able to say he'd "briefed" me.  I sat through his rant, rolled my eyes, and moved on with my life.  Not a word of what he said made a bit of difference in my time there.

If there are NFL players on the verge of the super bowl who fall under the "having no interest in being where they are" then IMO, you can't undo that.  At their core, people are who they are and a rah rah/pom pom thing isn't going to do anything.

Now, can a coach set the tone?  Again, just my opinion, but I don't think so.  I think he can try, and for the players who are on the same page and want to succeed, they will jump on board and yell and scream with him and get a little bit more fired up...that's a possibility  However,  I don't think you can sway a guy from not caring, to caring by simply saying "this is our house...blah blah blah"

Have you ever had leadership responsibilities over anyone?

Further question-Do you think it is at all possible that the Jets treated the Patriots game AS their Super Bowl? That the Jets put sooo much emphasis on that, that they emptied the tank? Did you see the way they reacted after that game? 

Is there even a remote chance. AFJ?

Absolutely no doubt it had an impact.  As much as it sucks, I think it was a little bit of human nature.  They'd beat beaten down for so long by that team that they got too high after the win.  As I always say, I wasn't in the room so I don't know how Rex handled it.  As a Rex fan I'd say he may have handled it fine, but I understand that because of human nature, Rex detractors will say he handled it incorrectly.  It's what we do.  Hitch our wagons to a coach or player and tend to give the benefit of the doubt when proof is absent.

No doubt. Sometimes, you just get whipped, and the HC may have done everything possible. It happens.

Sav-You are a very reasonable thinker-After seeing how the Jets coaches and players acted as they came off the fired vs the Patriots, that they had a "mission accomplished" manner to their actions? Did that seem to reverberate in their play the following week?

Not football related but one thing Herb Brooks had to warn his players about after they beat the Russian team in the Olympics was hold on we didn't win anything yet. We need to be up if we are going to have a chance at a medal.. That Jet team acted like they just won the Gold.. Sometimes all the emotion is put into one game and it's so hard to get back..

I can tell you my friend..it's not BS. I attended Strategic Coach out of Toronto for 3 years. My income almost doubled and my workload lessened. They teach you HOW to hire, fire, motivate, work smart, be selective in your clients etc...

Learned similar a things from Peter Montoya seminars and Ron Carson seminars.

leadership and motivation works.

I think it's fairly clear that we won our SB that day, even the fan base reacted that way at the time.  And that is why it's hard to act like there weren't major forces pushing the team towards that reaction. Pats had owned us forever, and we whipped them on their field. it was cathartic, kind of like when the team had a field day with Favre beating Pats in OT in 08... against Cassel

In any event, something you are NOT considering.. perhaps if Rex didn't get the team to that level of emotional investment, they never win the Pats game and this is all a moot point? Hypothetical yes, but reasonable i think

I can tell you my friend..it's not BS. I attended Strategic Coach out of Toronto for 3 years. My income almost doubled and my workload lessened. They teach you HOW to hire, fire, motivate, work smart, be selective in your clients etc...

Learned similar a things from Peter Montoya seminars and Ron Carson seminars.

leadership and motivation works.

As I said, that's why I'm the wrong guy to have that conversation with.  I've never seen somebody give a speech that inspired me.  I mean, I've seen a few that made me nod my head and acknowledge a valid point.  I'm not saying people can't make a ton of money by being good BS artists and getting people to do things they otherwise might not want to, I'm just saying I've never had it happen to me.

Honestly, if one of my leaders ever "rolled his eyes"  or took for granted what I was telling him as we meet, he would have no future in my company.

I think it's fairly clear that we won our SB that day, even the fan base reacted that way at the time. And that is why it's hard to act like there weren't major forces pushing the team towards that reaction. Pats had owned us forever, and we whipped them on their field. it was cathartic, kind of like when the team had a field day with Favre beating Pats in OT in 08... against Cassel

In any event, something you are NOT considering.. perhaps if Rex didn't get the team to that level of emotional investment, they never win the Pats game and this is all a moot point? Hypothetical yes, but reasonable i think

Rex treated every win like it was winning the Super Bowl...it's why we looked so unprepared after wins.

Do you inspect what you expect? Do you ensure that everyone under your charge knows their roles, knows the expectations and what the expected outcome is? Do you do that regularly?

I do regular feedback and it's tough...they're good people who have less than exciting jobs.  Everyone I know hates their job so I explain to them that if they hate it, and they want bigger and better things for themselves, they can explore other options that will be attainable through hard work.  I try to guide them to get to where they want to be in life, but I also explain to them that they have other responsibilities in the meantime that they have to stay on top of, like it or not.

Honestly, if one of my leaders ever "rolled his eyes"  or took for granted what I was telling him as we meet, he would have no future in my company.

imo.. biggest challange of leadership is finding the right people to lead ... turning over departments is usually how i go about it

As it should be...but if you knew you were feeding him a line of crap for the sake of covering your own ass, would you really blame him?

Archived