Rex Has two HC inteviews next week

AFJF

So whose fault was it when the 16-0,13-3 Pats lost Bowls to the 10-6,9-7 Giants?? Was the right tone not set by BB??

When the 18-0 Patriots lost to the Giants, yes. That Patriots team talked for 2 weeks like the game was already won, they didn't take their opponent seriously and they lost. It was extremely out-of-character for a BB coached team.

I think in the 2nd SB, the Giants were just the better team that day, it had less to do with emotional preparation. Not all games are decided by emotional stability, but there are a substantial amount of games over the 6 years where Rex brought this team into where it was plain as day the Jets were able to out-play their opponent, but they weren't up for the game for whatever reason. In contrast, there have been times where they ride an emotional high for 60 minutes and upset a typically dominant Patriots team. This tells me there is not emotional stability, that opponents aren't looked at as equals, and that the legend of Rex the master motivator is only situationally relevant. 

A master motivator doesn't get drubbed the way Rex's teams have over the years in losses to inferior teams. 

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Too bad Rex could nit develop that type of QB ;)

This may come as a bit of a surprise for some, but coaches should develop players also and mold them. Not just take what is given them, and throw them on teh field. The way that BB managed TB was a progression. He did not just throw him out there and start slinging. TB was very much a "game manager" when TB won a SB his first year as a starter.

The snow game against the Raiders for example? Brady was throwing a million screen passes in that game..Rex would have had Geno take 7 step drops in the snow on 3rd and long. lol

Sav- Does this make it sound like Rex had set the right "tone"?

http://nesn.com/2011/01/darrelle-revis-says-jets-were-too-relaxed-against-steelers-after-defeating-patriots-in-playoffs/

Every Patriots fan cringed as they watched the Jets' players soar across the field at Gillette Stadium, reveling in the playoff victory over their AFC East rivals. They won the game, so they were entitled to a celebration.

According to Darrelle Revis, however, that happy buzz from New England lingered a bit too long in the Jets' locker room and affected their play against the Steelers. Revis said that the Jets were too "relaxed" in the AFC Championship, because of the residual effects from the win over the Pats, ESPN.com reports.

"I think … you could say that," Revis said of the team letdown after the divisional win. "Yeah, you could say that. On people's body language, you can kind of see guys just relaxed. Guys are relaxed and didn't know what was at stake. That's why we came out so flat and we didn't finish strong."

The Jets were stunned by the Steelers in the first half of last Sunday's game, as a solid running effort by Pittsburgh gave them a 24-3 lead heading into halftime. The Jets tried to rebound with a few motivational speeches in the locker room, which helped, but it wasn't enough as the Steelers came away with the 24-19 victory, and the bid to the Super Bowl.

Revis, along with Jets tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson have one more week of football as they will be playing for the AFC under Bill Belichick at the Pro Bowl in Honolulu on Jan. 30.

I noticed you didn't answer the question about BB's tone?? And where was the Jet D ranked after Rex took over and was the running game not better?? Rex had his faults no doubt but to say there was never any improvement in any phase of the team is your Rex hate talking.. snapoutofit.gif

The 2010 team was never improved upon in my view.  That was our peak.  From there, the team went downhill.   Our D was a statistical Defense.  Look at the score of games..we gave up points like a french whore gives up her underwear.  We couldnt stop Tim Tebow when it mattered for Goodness sake. Yeah I know, he beat the Steelers too. Ill save you the key strokes. :)

This may come as a bit of a surprise for some, but coaches should develop players also and mold them. Not just take what is given them, and throw them on teh field. The way that BB managed TB was a progression. He did not just throw him out there and start slinging. TB was very much a "game manager" when TB won a SB his first year as a starter.

Oh yeah that was BB alright just like Brian Schottenheimer developed Bree's with the Chargers.. If BB was such a QB guru what happened with the Browns and with Bledsoe going 5-11 with the Pats?? consoling2.gif

Absolutely..but NOT just TB.  That Defense has turned over basically 100 percent since 2006.  Yet they are a top D.

REX simply cant do that or at least he hasnt shown he can.

Oh yeah that was BB alright just like Brian Schottenheimer developed Bree's with the Chargers.. If BB was such a QB guru what happened with the Browns and with Bledsoe going 5-11 with the Pats?? consoling2.gif

I will not trifle with BB's record. It is what it is. He brought in awesome assistants, and they helped his team.

Rex? He brought in Sparano when he knew he needed help.

Totally agreed.   REX, IMO, will be same ole rex no matter where he goes.

He takes the job with the Falcons, assuming the the Saints are the best team in that division, Pathers and Atlanta are equals, and Tampa sucks. ... he'll get them to psyched enough to upset the Saints once a year while splitting with them, he'll lose both games to the Panthers because they better at ground and pound than Rex, then he'll probably split with the Bucs, losing at least one to them in epic let-down fashion.

Possibly. But, great coaches can lose big games and had their teams ready to play.

FACT-Players said that that the Jets were flat when they faced the Steelers in the AFCCG.

This.

Rex's acolytes like to tout the 2 appearances in AFCC games, but never want to deal with how poorly the Jets showed in those games. Showing up "flat" to the Steelers was a joke, and should have prompted Rex's firing much sooner than 6 years into a debacle. Honestly, we would have been blown out of the water completely vs. the Colts, if it hadn't been for a stellar individual effort by Shonn Greene for the first half of that game before he got hurt. Rex had NO answers for Peyton's 4th and 5th WRs.

I will not trifle with BB's record. It is what it is. He brought in awesome assistants, and they helped his team.

Rex? He brought in Sparano when he knew he needed help.

Scott I think Rex should have gone with Tanny., I just like playing with the over the top Rex haters.. Football is entertainment and Rex flaws and all was entertaining.. interview.gif

Where?

I did find this...

Bill Parcells certainly should be envious of where New York Jets head coach Rex Ryan is this weekend -- one victory away from the Super Bowl. 

Parcells has been there a few times. He took three teams to the Super Bowl. He won a pair with the New York Giants and lost another with the New England Patriots. Parcells has navigated his share of treacherous postseason games. 

But Parcells, now a consultant with the Miami Dolphins, doesn't covet Ryan's road. 

If the Jets do reach the Super Bowl, then they will have beaten Peyton Manning in Lucas Oil Stadium, Tom Brady in Gillette Stadium and Ben Roethlisberger at Heinz Field (twice in a month). 

"I can't say I've ever faced three in a row like that," Parcells told me by phone from South Florida. "The closest I ever came to anything like that was Joe Montana and then Jim Kelly in the Super Bowl."

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/tag/_/name/2010-afc-championship-game

Sav- Does this make it sound like Rex had set the right "tone"?

http://nesn.com/2011/01/darrelle-revis-says-jets-were-too-relaxed-against-steelers-after-defeating-patriots-in-playoffs/

Every Patriots fan cringed as they watched the Jets' players soar across the field at Gillette Stadium, reveling in the playoff victory over their AFC East rivals. They won the game, so they were entitled to a celebration.

According to Darrelle Revis, however, that happy buzz from New England lingered a bit too long in the Jets' locker room and affected their play against the Steelers. Revis said that the Jets were too "relaxed" in the AFC Championship, because of the residual effects from the win over the Pats, ESPN.com reports.

"I think … you could say that," Revis said of the team letdown after the divisional win. "Yeah, you could say that. On people's body language, you can kind of see guys just relaxed. Guys are relaxed and didn't know what was at stake. That's why we came out so flat and we didn't finish strong."

The Jets were stunned by the Steelers in the first half of last Sunday's game, as a solid running effort by Pittsburgh gave them a 24-3 lead heading into halftime. The Jets tried to rebound with a few motivational speeches in the locker room, which helped, but it wasn't enough as the Steelers came away with the 24-19 victory, and the bid to the Super Bowl.

Revis, along with Jets tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson have one more week of football as they will be playing for the AFC under Bill Belichick at the Pro Bowl in Honolulu on Jan. 30.

Right here

I did find this...

Bill Parcells certainly should be envious of where New York Jets head coach Rex Ryan is this weekend -- one victory away from the Super Bowl. 

Parcells has been there a few times. He took three teams to the Super Bowl. He won a pair with the New York Giants and lost another with the New England Patriots. Parcells has navigated his share of treacherous postseason games. 

But Parcells, now a consultant with the Miami Dolphins, doesn't covet Ryan's road. 

If the Jets do reach the Super Bowl, then they will have beaten Peyton Manning in Lucas Oil Stadium, Tom Brady in Gillette Stadium and Ben Roethlisberger at Heinz Field (twice in a month). 

"I can't say I've ever faced three in a row like that," Parcells told me by phone from South Florida. "The closest I ever came to anything like that was Joe Montana and then Jim Kelly in the Super Bowl."

Because Parcells won divisions and avoided wc weekend ;)

I did find this...

The link you provided just game me this. Makes me even more mad at how the Jets prepped that week:

A week earlier, the New York Jets carried on as though they'd won the Super Bowl. 

They went into Gillette Stadium and did the unfathomable. They made Tom Brady look average and destroyed the mighty New England Patriots a month after losing to them 45-3 on the same grounds. 

The Jets jumped into the stands to cavort with their fans, the Patriots' faithful having filed through the exits long before. The Jets ran around with their arms outstretched like airplanes. Braylon Edwards did a roundhouse backflip. Patriots receiverDeion Branch called them "classless." 

You half expected to hear somebody in green and white exclaim "I'm going to Disney World!" to signal the end of the season. Of course, the Super Bowl used to be followed with a carefree exhibition where players revel in their success and go through the motions. 

Fittingly, the Jets followed up their personal Super Bowl with a performance worthy of the Pro Bowl -- not in terms of star power, but with a lack of purpose. 

For the first 30 minutes of Sunday night's AFC Championship Game against the Pittsburgh Steelers at Heinz Field, the Jets played like they were still hung over from their victory in Foxborough, Mass. 

The Jets were flatter than old champagne through the first half and watched passively as the Steelers scored the first 24 points. The Jets finally snapped to attention at the intermission and dominated the Steelers for much of the second half. 

But the Jets couldn't overcome their horrible two quarters and lost 24-19. For the second season under Rex Ryan, they were eliminated one step short of the Super Bowl. 

But the Jets sure didn't play like they'd been there before -- not in the first half anyway. 

"No determination, no focus in every single phase," Jets safety James Ihedigbo muttered. 

"It just wasn't us. It wasn't New York Jet football." 

Perhaps it's one of those unexplained sports phenomena. The Jets certainly knew the importance of Sunday's game. One more victory and they were headed to the Super Bowl. 

But they didn't answer the call. Instead, there was a dial tone. 

"We knew what was on the line," Jets linebacker David Harris said. "I don't know what to say." 

To a man, the Jets were unable to explain their inability to compete in the first half. 

Steelers running back Rashard Mendenhall left cleat marks all over the defense. Their poor tackling was unforgivable. Mendenhall had 95 yards and a touchdown before halftime. The Steelers dictated time of possession, keeping the ball for 21 minutes, 4 seconds. 

Last week, Jets linebacker Bart Scott ridiculed the Patriots' defense for not being able to stop a nosebleed. Against the Steelers, the Jets couldn't patch a paper cut with a roll of duct tape. 

The Jets' offense, meanwhile, gained 1 rushing yard by halftime. LaDainian Tomlinson had two carries for 1 yard. Shonn Greene had two carries for 4 yards. 

"We didn't step on the field, playing the way we want to play," Harris said. "They jumped on us, had us on our heels." 

The Jets played like they were emotionally spent, which is how they prepared for the game, too. 

Unlike the first two rounds of the playoffs, the Jets displayed almost none of their distinctive spunk. They went from targeting Peyton Manning and Brady and Wes Welker to a deferential tone for the Steelers. Jets defensive lineman Trevor Pryce said it was an "honor and a privilege to play against" Ben Roethlisberger

There was no edge throughout the week at the Jets' training facility in Florham Park, N.J. 

The Jets insisted they'd be ready. 

They clearly were not. 

The link you provided just game me this. Makes me even more mad at how the Jets prepped that week:

A week earlier, the New York Jets carried on as though they'd won the Super Bowl. 

There was no edge throughout the week at the Jets' training facility in Florham Park, N.J. 

They clearly were not. 

You do realise that I agree they came out flat in Pitt and acted like they won the bowl after the Pat game right? 89.gif Rex didn't have them ready for the AFCCG..

You do realise that I agree they came out flat in Pitt and acted like they won the bowl after the Pat game right? 89.gif Rex didn't have them ready for the AFCCG..

No, because if you don't think the demise of the Jets is 110% Rex's fault, it means you think Rex is the best HC ever and has never done wrong

No, because if you don't think the demise of the Jets is 110% Rex's fault, it means you think Rex is the best HC ever and has never done wrong

Good point I agree that Rex had his faults but he is far from the worst HC we ever had.. I always have noticed if some other coach made the same mistake Rex did it was no big deal but when Rex did it it was a crime against humanity..s2040.gif

A week earlier, the New York Jets carried on as though they'd won the Super Bowl.

They went into Gillette Stadium and did the unfathomable. They made Tom Brady look average and destroyed the mighty New England Patriots a month after losing to them 45-3 on the same grounds.

Championship Round Coverage

Graham: Jets emotionally tapped out

Walker: Mendenhall's second chance

Seifert: Ted Thompson vindicated

Clayton: Last Call

Packers-Bears Live replay

Jets-Steelers Live replay

The Jets jumped into the stands to cavort with their fans, the Patriots' faithful having filed through the exits long before. The Jets ran around with their arms outstretched like airplanes. Braylon Edwards did a roundhouse backflip. Patriots receiverDeion Branch called them "classless."

You half expected to hear somebody in green and white exclaim "I'm going to Disney World!" to signal the end of the season. Of course, the Super Bowl used to be followed with a carefree exhibition where players revel in their success and go through the motions.

Fittingly, the Jets followed up their personal Super Bowl with a performance worthy of the Pro Bowl -- not in terms of star power, but with a lack of purpose.

For the first 30 minutes of Sunday night's AFC Championship Game against the Pittsburgh Steelers at Heinz Field, the Jets played like they were still hung over from their victory in Foxborough, Mass.

The Jets were flatter than old champagne through the first half and watched passively as the Steelers scored the first 24 points. The Jets finally snapped to attention at the intermission and dominated the Steelers for much of the second half.

But the Jets couldn't overcome their horrible two quarters and lost 24-19. For the second season under Rex Ryan, they were eliminated one step short of the Super Bowl.

But the Jets sure didn't play like they'd been there before -- not in the first half anyway.

"No determination, no focus in every single phase," Jets safety James Ihedigbo muttered.

Perhaps it's one of those unexplained sports phenomena. The Jets certainly knew the importance of Sunday's game. One more victory and they were headed to the Super Bowl.

"We knew what was on the line," Jets linebacker David Harris said. "I don't know what to say."

To a man, the Jets were unable to explain their inability to compete in the first half.

Steelers running back Rashard Mendenhall left cleat marks all over the defense. Their poor tackling was unforgivable. Mendenhall had 95 yards and a touchdown before halftime. The Steelers dictated time of possession, keeping the ball for 21 minutes, 4 seconds.

Last week, Jets linebacker Bart Scott ridiculed the Patriots' defense for not being able to stop a nosebleed. Against the Steelers, the Jets couldn't patch a paper cut with a roll of duct tape.

The Jets' offense, meanwhile, gained 1 rushing yard by halftime. LaDainian Tomlinson had two carries for 1 yard. Shonn Greene had two carries for 4 yards.

"We didn't step on the field, playing the way we want to play," Harris said. "They jumped on us, had us on our heels."

The Jets played like they were emotionally spent, which is how they prepared for the game, too.

Unlike the first two rounds of the playoffs, the Jets displayed almost none of their distinctive spunk. They went from targeting Peyton Manning and Brady and Wes Welker to a deferential tone for the Steelers. Jets defensive lineman Trevor Pryce said it was an "honor and a privilege to play against" Ben Roethlisberger.

They clearly were not.

This is why anyone that still thinks the "can't wait" moment is great, is a sucker.

Good point I agree that Rex had his faults but he is far from the worst HC we ever had.. I always have noticed if some other coach made the same mistake Rex did it was no big deal but when Rex did it it was a crime against humanity..s2040.gif

Fair enough....but REXs faults seem to be greater than his lack of talent of QB etc.

many of his games remind me of the 2005 PITT loss with Herm.

Can only speak for myself here...

I don't root for all the other teams being screwed by similar mistakes , only my Jets.

Comparing one-off mistakes is one thing, easy to minimize, but look at the history of mistakes for more appropriate context.

Can only speak for myself here...

I don't root for all the other teams being screwed by similar mistakes , only my Jets.

Comparing one-off mistakes is one thing, easy to minimize, but look at the history of mistakes for more appropriate context.

I don't root for the jets to get screwed that's where we differ..14k8gag.gif

A week earlier, the New York Jets carried on as though they'd won the Super Bowl.

They went into Gillette Stadium and did the unfathomable. They made Tom Brady look average and destroyed the mighty New England Patriots a month after losing to them 45-3 on the same grounds.

Championship Round Coverage

Graham: Jets emotionally tapped out

Walker: Mendenhall's second chance

Seifert: Ted Thompson vindicated

Clayton: Last Call

Packers-Bears Live replay

Jets-Steelers Live replay

The Jets jumped into the stands to cavort with their fans, the Patriots' faithful having filed through the exits long before. The Jets ran around with their arms outstretched like airplanes. Braylon Edwards did a roundhouse backflip. Patriots receiverDeion Branch called them "classless."

For the first 30 minutes of Sunday night's AFC Championship Game against the Pittsburgh Steelers at Heinz Field, the Jets played like they were still hung over from their victory in Foxborough, Mass.

"No determination, no focus in every single phase," Jets safety James Ihedigbo muttered.

"We knew what was on the line," Jets linebacker David Harris said. "I don't know what to say."

Steelers running back Rashard Mendenhall left cleat marks all over the defense. Their poor tackling was unforgivable. Mendenhall had 95 yards and a touchdown before halftime. The Steelers dictated time of possession, keeping the ball for 21 minutes, 4 seconds.

Last week, Jets linebacker Bart Scott ridiculed the Patriots' defense for not being able to stop a nosebleed. Against the Steelers, the Jets couldn't patch a paper cut with a roll of duct tape.

The Jets' offense, meanwhile, gained 1 rushing yard by halftime. LaDainian Tomlinson had two carries for 1 yard. Shonn Greene had two carries for 4 yards.

Unlike the first two rounds of the playoffs, the Jets displayed almost none of their distinctive spunk. They went from targeting Peyton Manning and Brady and Wes Welker to a deferential tone for the Steelers. Jets defensive lineman Trevor Pryce said it was an "honor and a privilege to play against" Ben Roethlisberger.

They clearly were not.

That's what crappy coaching does

WRECKS began the celebration when he waddled 40 yards down the sideline into the EZ to chest bump Shonn Greene after a TD.

Just last week, our class clown was chest bumping with G-No and organizing Gatorade baths after HUGE win number FOUR for "the best 4-12 team in NFL history"

Buffalo showing interest in Rex. His faux tough guy act would play well with the blue collar rubes up there.

That would be a terrible fit for Rex. He needs to go somewhere where the offense is already the strength of the team. He can't walk into another QB-less black hole. 

That would be a terrible fit for Rex. He needs to go somewhere where the offense is already the strength of the team. He can't walk into another QB-less black hole.

Floriofwiw has it that Rex's people are using these interviews to driven up his price with ESPN. He's retained a broadcasting agent at CAA already.

Floriofwiw has it that Rex's people are using these interviews to driven up his price with ESPN. He's retained a broadcasting agent at CAA already.

I've said all along that Rex should pocket Woody's money and go on TV. And if the report is true that he has an interview lined up with ESPN next week already, I probably wouldn't bother bringing him in to interview for a head coach vacancy at all. It would seem his mind is already made up. 

I've said all along that Rex should pocket Woody's money and go on TV. And if the report is true that he has an interview lined up with ESPN next week already, I probably wouldn't bother bringing him in to interview for a head coach vacancy at all. It would seem his mind is already made up. 

I thought he did a TV interview already??

I thought he did a TV interview already??

I thought I saw he had one lined up for Tuesday. Either way, it makes sense for him. He can keep Woody's money and make a nice living without even moving his family. 

Archived