Why are fans afraid of improving the Jets?

Jetster

I've seen a lot of posts regarding free agents ect. and it absolutely amazes me that we have fans that would be against signing Suh.

When you don't have a highly paid QB which most teams do,the way you improve your team is to get the best young players possible on your team.

I was listening to Sirius NFL radio yesterday & every single host that "played" in the NFL were like, "I'd have no problem with him playing on my team!"

The NFL is not about having a team of Saints, the great Bill Belichick has signed guys with questionable morals for years, why? Because winning is #1. BB signed Blunt after he'd refused to go back into a game & was cut.

Suh comes to PLAY! Every down, doesn't get hurt, and leads the charge for the #1 rush defense in the entire NFL! That's with Fairley hurt all year.

Everyone keeps saying our Dline is set? Why? Our pass rush was wildly inconsistent this year.

If we bring in someone like Todd Bowles & and give him a starting Dline of Mo-Suh-Coples-Richardson you now have the makings of the best Dline in football.

The only teams that beat Tom Brady, beat him with inside pressure.

I love snacks but he's a 3/4 run stopper (Suh is a 3 down run stuffing pass rushing beast) and he's 26 years old. Where do Jet fans want to spend the money? We missed out on the CBs last year.

You can't overpay mediocrity, that's a Jets specialty.

You pay for young Pro bowl players. Target Suh & Iupati & you've improved you lines tremendously.

Snacks would definitely be a player to dangle for a draft pick (young, cheap, very good nose tackle, run stopper). Many teams could use him. Bears, Vikings, Packers (Rajis a free agent), Falcons, Saints, Cowboys.

If you don't have a franchise QB & you aren't paying squat at the QB position you need to put together a team that punches people in the mouth in the trenches while your trying to find one.

Jets have 50 million to spend, spend it by getting the best young free agents in their prime that are available. Hopefully this new regime will realize that you build from the inside out.

You can't do sh*t if your QB is on his back & the opposing QB can't do sh*t when he's running for his life.

If you look at the free agents available this year, there are way too many that aren't "The Best" at their trade, Suh & Iupati are both All Pros & top 5 at their positions.

Coup if Jets could get both.

I with ya jetster...signing Suh would have me very very excited..the team would have to really analyze the cap and weigh what type of cap hit all these DLine contracts are going to do to it.

I imagine it would be hard to justify all that cap space tied up in one unit.

But that DLine would be crazy good. Decisions, decisions.

Suh is a guy who tries to hurt other players, not solely with in-game action but with crap moves and shenanigans after the play. I would be the first to tell you that Suh is the most dominate DT in the league. His mentality is screwed though and it can be detrimental to the team. Think about that, dude is 1 week away from the playoffs and he was willing to compromise the integrity of the defense and quite frankly their playoff chances next week because he couldn't control his frustration because Rodgers was breaking them in a new one. He can't be trusted and he's sure as hell not disciplined. 

He's not a Jet. That was a grimy move he pulled and I dont want someone like that anywhere near this team. 

I've seen a lot of posts regarding free agents ect. and it absolutely amazes me that we have fans that would be against signing Suh.

When you don't have a highly paid QB which most teams do,the way you improve your team is to get the best young players possible on your team.

I was listening to Sirius NFL radio yesterday & every single host that "played" in the NFL were like, "I'd have no problem with him playing on my team!"

The NFL is not about having a team of Saints, the great Bill Belichick has signed guys with questionable morals for years, why? Because winning is #1. BB signed Blunt after he'd refused to go back into a game & was cut.

Suh comes to PLAY! Every down, doesn't get hurt, and leads the charge for the #1 rush defense in the entire NFL! That's with Fairley hurt all year.

Everyone keeps saying our Dline is set? Why? Our pass rush was wildly inconsistent this year.

If we bring in someone like Todd Bowles & and give him a starting Dline of Mo-Suh-Coples-Richardson you now have the makings of the best Dline in football.

I love snacks but he's a 3/4 run stopper (Suh is a 3 down run stuffing pass rushing beast) and he's 26 years old. Where do Jet fans want to spend the money? We missed out on the CBs last year.

You pay for young Pro bowl players. Target Suh & Iupati & you've improved you lines tremendously.

Snacks would definitely be a player to dangle for a draft pick (young, cheap, very good nose tackle, run stopper). Many teams could use him. Bears, Vikings, Packers (Rajis a free agent), Falcons, Saints, Cowboys.

If you don't have a franchise QB & you aren't paying squat at the QB position you need to put together a team that punches people in the mouth in the trenches while your trying to find one.

Jets have 50 million to spend, spend it by getting the best young free agents in their prime that are available. Hopefully this new regime will realize that you build from the inside out.

You can't do sh*t if your QB is on his back & the opposing QB can't do sh*t when he's running for his life.

If you look at the free agents available this year, there are way too many that aren't "The Best" at their trade, Suh & Iupati are both All Pros & top 5 at their positions.

Why can't you start a thread about the merits of signing Suh without calling out other fans?

Why can't you start a thread about the merits of signing Suh without calling out other fans?

Ha...he's got ya there Jetster. If you would permit me, I can answer that....

Cause were miserable ****s that are prone to anger..and sometimes anger is misplaced as aggression against those we love. In this case Jetster has lashed out against his brothers in arms. Forgive him, he knows not what he does....that miserable ****.

We already have a great D-line. We need to use our cap room to fix the secondary. We need to sign 2 big time DBs.

resources have to go into the offense.  You have to score points in the NFL.  Spend the money on O-line and the best receiver you can find.

I think we sign one quality corner and hope one of the many guys we saw this year can play the other side - or our #1 pick from two years ago can stay healthy...

Just the reactions already to this prove my point.

Slats, your questioning why I call other Jet fans out?

Read the responses. I get it, we need CBs, who is gonna be available that deserves big money? No one!

DRC was a bust for the Giants.

Jet fans are like, we need CBs, we need a QB, well guess what, there aren't any "studs" to be had.

So, what can you do?

You get Suh & Iupati then you do your due diligence to get some "decent" smart players @ CB & LB.

Tory Smith?

You already paid Decker. Mo Wilkerson is signed for 2015, we own his rights, he can't go anywhere & he can be franchised in 2016.

2 years is a f*cking eternity in the NFL.

We don't have a franchise QB! So there is no point trying to "SIGN" more offensive skill players to HUGE contracts.

You end up with Santonio Holmes & Mike Wallace (ask Miami how that's working out)

What the Jets should be doing in the draft is picking offensive skill players at WR, Idzik blew it, not because he waited to the 4th round, he blew it by not picking the right WRs, (although Evans is still a ?)

Maybe Owusu turns out to be a nice 3rd or 4th WR. How many WRs do you guys want?

Tre Mason should have been picked over McDougle (most pundents thought we could have got him in the 4th round).

Franchise QBs don't just get cut, unless they have 4 neck surgeries & can't throw for 6 months & the team cutting him lucks into Andrew Luck.

We won't be paying big money at the QB position for years, even if our future QB comes in the 2015 draft.

If you had a Dline of Mo-Suh-Coples-Richardson so much would be made of this in the media the scrutiny would be fantastic.

Hard to take plays off when your expected to be the best Dline in football. Talk about motivation.

Whoever takes over will have the task of getting our offense to average.

Parcells did it with guys like Dedrick Ward. It can be done.

More discipline is needed on offense, no more pre-snap penalties, no more wasted TOs, special teams upgrades so your not starting on your own 10 yard line every series. Just once I would have liked to see Geno get scolded on the sideline (Parcells vs Simms) action.

When he fumbled holding the ball like a loaf of bread while trying to stiff arm a guy. Those are teaching moments, tough teaching moments, (Parcells would have blasted him! ) Genos pretty resilient considering how much he's despised & heckled when playing in at MetLife. He's got some moxie, it can't be easy learning to be a QB in the NFL & especially in New York.

Our fans got Rex to lose his cool.

God knows who our QB will be in 2015, but I'm hoping to see the opposing QB running for his life & our average CBs & Safeties picking a few passes off. But who can we get to coach the defense that will get produce more TOs than our group did in 2014?

God we'll miss Rex.

We should pay Greg Hardy also. You can never have too much depth on Dline

Edit: You think the Giants are going to franchise JPP? Could be worth 100$ million

They've said they will if they have to - they'll try and work out a contract but they're keeping him - either way it's going to be a huge cap number.

Just the reactions already to this prove my point.

Slats, your questioning why I call other Jet fans out?

Read the responses. I get it, we need CBs, who is gonna be available that deserves big money? No one!

DRC was a bust for the Giants.

Jet fans are like, we need CBs, we need a QB, well guess what, there aren't any "studs" to be had.

So, what can you do?

You get Suh & Iupati then you do your due diligence to get some "decent" smart players @ CB & LB.

Tory Smith?

You already paid Decker. Mo Wilkerson is signed for 2015, we own his rights, he can't go anywhere & he can be franchised in 2016.

2 years is a f*cking eternity in the NFL.

We don't have a franchise QB! So there is no point trying to "SIGN" more offensive skill players to HUGE contracts.

You end up with Santonio Holmes & Mike Wallace (ask Miami how that's working out)

What the Jets should be doing in the draft is picking offensive skill players at WR, Idzik blew it, not because he waited to the 4th round, he blew it by not picking the right WRs, (although Evans is still a ?)

Maybe Owusu turns out to be a nice 3rd or 4th WR. How many WRs do you guys want?

Tre Mason should have been picked over McDougle (most pundents thought we could have got him in the 4th round).

Franchise QBs don't just get cut, unless they have 4 neck surgeries & can't throw for 6 months & the team cutting him lucks into Andrew Luck.

We won't be paying big money at the QB position for years, even if our future QB comes in the 2015 draft.

If you had a Dline of Mo-Suh-Coples-Richardson so much would be made of this in the media the scrutiny would be fantastic.

Hard to take plays off when your expected to be the best Dline in football. Talk about motivation.

Whoever takes over will have the task of getting our offense to average.

Parcells did it with guys like Dedrick Ward. It can be done.

More discipline is needed on offense, no more pre-snap penalties, no more wasted TOs, special teams upgrades so your not starting on your own 10 yard line every series. Just once I would have liked to see Geno get scolded on the sideline (Parcells vs Simms) action.

When he fumbled holding the ball like a loaf of bread while trying to stiff arm a guy. Those are teaching moments, tough teaching moments, (Parcells would have blasted him! ) Genos pretty resilient considering how much he's despised & heckled when playing in at MetLife. He's got some moxie, it can't be easy learning to be a QB in the NFL & especially in New York.

Our fans got Rex to lose his cool.

God knows who our QB will be in 2015, but I'm hoping to see the opposing QB running for his life & our average CBs & Safeties picking a few passes off. But who can we get to coach the defense that will get produce more TOs than our group did in 2014?

God we'll miss Rex.

I was really expecting stream of consciousness rants like this a little closer to the new year... :)

For the purposes of your thread, though, I'd say the only arguments against Suh would be the cost of his contract and the fact that he frequently can't control his emotions on the field and commits some serious personal fouls. Is that who you want to be the highest paid player on your team? What kind of dynamic does that set up?

The argument for the player is just as obvious: he's a beast.

The new GM and head coach would have to decide that they can take the bad with the good with Suh, and that they could still maintain a locker room culture that doesn't reward thuggery. They'd also have to make a decision with Wilkerson - and probably trade him. I get what you're saying about his contract, but that's part of what would make him so appealing in a trade. $7M Wilkerson > Franchise Tag Wilkerson. The new regime could easily like the idea of upgrading the DL with Suh while simultaneously getting additional draft picks for Mo.

resources have to go into the offense.  You have to score points in the NFL.  Spend the money on O-line and the best receiver you can find.

I think we sign one quality corner and hope one of the many guys we saw this year can play the other side - or our #1 pick from two years ago can stay healthy...

I told you. Iupati is the FA target on the Oline.

Jets have to run the ball, we have no one at QB or even a solid vet pickup that can throw 65% of the time.

You could have 4 all pro WRs, what good does it do if you can't get them the ball?

Dallas has had Tony Romo, Jason Witten, Murray & Dez Bryant and this is the 1st playoff they have been in in years!

Jet fans want an instant great offense, won't happen, no great QB. But, the offense can be good & steady with a solid run game, good play action MISTAKE FREE offense.

The Detroit Lions didn't win sh*t until Stafford stopped throwing picks & RBs stopped fumbling the ball.

We already spent free agent $s on Decker, draft a WR like Cooper & draft a young stud RB.

Maybe sign a TE like Clay.

Honestly, our offense didn't even look like they were coached with all the mistakes that were made from the QB to the Oline to the RBs not picking up blitzes to bad handoffs. The redzone playcalling was mind blowingly bad.

Now I know why Eagles fans couldn't stand him.

I remember when we brought him on board & I read a quote from an Eagles fan saying, " he'll abandon the run when it's working, then run on 3rd & 8, shotgun on 3rd & 1" damn they were right.

I think there's only one way to go & that's UP from the coaching incompetence we just witnessed.

The idea of not getting the best weapons you can on offense simply because you don't the best QB is just wrong.  The more talent you have around your weak QB the stronger you'll make him...

We already know you're not winning a championship with ground and pound.  What I'm saying is our defense is strong enough to win if you have an offense.

We're mostly in agreement - except I want another top WR - but O-line should be the priority on this team right now - not adding another d-linement

Not that getting Suh wouldn't be awesome, but the new NFL seems to be won on Defense up the middle, NT, a awesome cover MLB, and 2 coverage ball hawking safties.

I like the idea of A. Allen at hybrid MLB like a B Wagner, he did it in college, plug a 4 man rotation at T with Wilk, Richardson, Ellis, and Harrison, Coples at DE on one side, and maybe draft Randy Gregory for the other pass rushing DE spot if both Cooper, and the QB's are off the board. Now gotta find the FS, which at the moment I don't have any suggestions for. Throw in Revis with McDougle, and Millner hopefully healthy, and have D Davis at one OLB, and draft a speedy OLB for 4-3 D in mid rounds, and your just E Thomas shy of the Seattle D with a better D-line, but weaker LB's, and Safties.

This is a scenario I see that could play out if Dan Quinn is brought in as HC.

I don't know about anybody else, but I am not afraid to improve the Jets.  I just don't think the best way to improve the Jets is to spend a ton of money to shore up our strength.  Suh is a bit of a head case, and the idea of dangling one of our few cheap pieces for a trade is a sure way to get worse.  Harrison is an RFA.  I don't think they can trade him.  I think they have to tender him and he is a good candidate to follow Rex (or Dunbar) wherever they end up.  Teams get better by having value players, not by spending on big pieces.  The place to spend is to shore up a weakness (like we did with Faneca) not to duplicate a strength. 

We have more than enough D-Lineman that can ball.

If you told me you were going out and signing the best two CB's in Free Agency then go and sign me up. I would be all in.

With the way the NFL is now. It isn't the D-Lineman that are the most important players on Defense. It is having corners that go and cover.

I like Iupati, but not Suh. He's a menace and a dirty player. He will be suspended every season for something dirty he does on the field. He has all the talent in the world to be a great and respected player, but his actions prove him a thug and little more.

we don't need suh, he would be eating up cap if we find our qb. And he's a dirty player, there's no place for that in the league

There are several FAs I'd much rather sign than Suh simply because they address needs rather than strengths on this team.  Just off the top of my head, ignoring the fact that most of these guys will likely be franchised or resigned before they hit the market:

Dez Bryant

Demaryius Thomas

Julian Thomas

Randall Cobb

Jeremy Maclin

Mike Iaputti

Brandon Flowers

Darelle Revis

Give me one offensive guy and one CB off this list and it's a stellar offseason already.  Does Suh improve the Jets?  Yes.  Does he make as much of a difference for the dollars involved (not to mention the penalties and suspensions) as these other guys?  Probably not.  That doesn't make me afraid to improve the Jets.  It makes me thoughtful about the best way to do it.

Suh is going to the giants

It's the perfect fit.  The Gints have the real need and will not let Suh get out the door without signing a nice, fat contract.  They'll also bring back JPP (despite a disappointing season) hoping he is not a one-hit wonder.  No way the Jets get into a bidding war over Suh.

I think thats how some guys get their jollies while maintaining a secret identity.. As bad as Suh is to some Dick Butkus was worse. When asked what he would be if he didn't play football he said a serial killer.. He once bit a ref that threw a flag for roughing the QB in the days when you could hit a QB.. :sign0182:

Who says that some other Jets can't be traded?

Then I guess I'm not sure why they're trading Richardson or Wilkerson - two home grown, extremely talented players - to bring in a guy like Suh who's been a dirtbag during his NFL career on a big deal. Just use the cap space elsewhere.

Archived