Anyone else think Woody will blow this? - Woody says he will! (Merged)

Ex-Rex

Is it possible that W&C have already identified and agreed with the GM they want in a secret deal? Perhaps he's involved with a playoff team right now and does not want this being a distraction for the team. If so, he gives them his 4 or 5 coaching candidates and they start the selection process. After the prospective candidates team is out of the PO's (1-4 weeks) he gets the job. Maybe they have to move on his candidates quickly. Just a thought

It's certainly possible, but highly unlikely.   It's even more unlikely that that GM would have already chosen his coach and has a secret deal with that coach - without wanting to interview candidates.   That scenario is far fetched.

What's most likely is Woody is going to hire the new HC and doesn't really care all that much what the new GM has to say. 

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's the only thing to hope at this point - but this doesn't sound like a slip-up “If that comes first, I’ll definitely do that.” - I've now written that three times in this thread because I don't think people are getting it...

As a Jet fan that's incredibly frustrating.

He said this Monday morning, he was probably giving himself a window in case Harbaugh could be had.

Are you saying that based on interviewing the GM they'll know who he wants to hire and make that hire before actually hiring said GM? doesn't make sense.

All I'm saying is Woody made it VERY clear that he's going to hire the new HC and the timing of the GM is not necessarily relevant to that process.

No. I'm saying none of these names are going to be a surprise to anyone--the GMs, the HCs, C & W, & Woody.

Of course he's going to "hire" the HC. It's his team. It's his $$$. If the off chance a HC is "hired" first whomever becomes the GM won't be surprised and in agreement. JMO. This scenario was reserved for a Harbaugh or Established / Experied HC should 1 become available / shake loose.

Again. Read the Scott M article. Any perspective GM should have a list of perspective HC candidates and C & W would have obtained that in their prep work and gone over that with Woody already. I'd even guess a perspective HC Quinn, Bowles etc..have perspective GMs they want to work with.

He said this Monday morning, he was probably giving himself a window in case Harbaugh could be had.

Good point.

Unless Woody has his eye on some big time college coach, Harbaugh was the only head coach candidate I could see being given total control. Maybe that's all it is.

I hope there's a good explanation for it. It's a very disturbing quote.

Sorry, doesn't make sense...

He said, to paraphrase  - I will hire the HC and if the GM is hired by the time I make a decision I'll listen to his advice...

I don't think he could be any clearer - nothing to do with hiring a total control guy.

Although he tries to hide it, Woody is an extremely meddlesome owner. Anyone who believes that it wasn't Woody who demanded the acquisition of Tebow, despite Tannenbaum's claim that it was his own idea, needs to have his head examined.  Anyone who thinks that it was Idzik who refused to consider negotiating with Revis last off-season is an absolute fool.  Everyone knows it was Woody, notwithstanding his inappropriate commentary this week how he would have loved to have Revis at $12 million.  Not only is Woody meddlesome, he is a liar too.

Face it.  We are stuck with a dumb, inbred, clueless, silver-spoon owner who has never been personally successful at anything in his life outside of the charitable trust funds his family gave him to manage in order to keep him away from the J & J empire.  The man is a focking idiot.

Tebow was all Woody.

What happens if Casserly says one thing and Wolfe something else?

Will Woody just flip a coin?

I would imagine/ hope it would go something like this.

They conduct all these interviews. 2 HC's really impressed them as a group. They have come down to 2 finalist for GM. Both consultants like them, but have different views of who the top guy is.

They interview these guys for like 4 hours. I'm sure one of the questions is , "give us a short list of who your choices for HC is?" One guy comes up with 3 candidates they didn't like, the other guy's top choices happen to be the two HC candidates they liked. Bingo there's your tie breaker.

That's why there is no harm in interviewing HC's before you hire the GM. See if he agrees with Casserly and Wolf's idea of what a HC should be.

Think it's a good way to go

Tebow was all Woody.

People like to place the blame for actions they don't like at the feet of potential culprits they don't like, so I chose Tannenbaum for this one. The fact that he was fired the year after making the trade might be a little evidence of that being the case. Plus, he copped to it in an interview shortly after he was fired.

I would imagine/ hope it would go something like this.

They conduct all these interviews. 2 HC's really impressed them as a group. They have come down to 2 finalist for GM. Both consultants like them, but have different views of who the top guy is.

They interview these guys for like 4 hours. I'm sure one of the questions is , "give us a short list of who your choices for HC is?" One guy comes up with 3 candidates they didn't like, the other guy's top choices happen to be the two HC candidates they liked. Bingo there's your tie breaker.

That's why there is no harm in interviewing HC's before you hire the GM. See if he agrees with Casserly and Wolf's idea of what a HC should be.

Think it's a good way to go

Interviewing HC candidates prior to hiring a GM is fine - but hiring a HC before a GM is just downright awful....

And he stated - hiring a GM before the HC is not a requirement.

Sorry, doesn't make sense...

He said, to paraphrase  - I will hire the HC and if the GM is hired by the time I make a decision I'll listen to his advice...

I don't think he could be any clearer - nothing to do with hiring a total control guy.

Maybe he mis-spoke, I'm not sure what you'd like any of us to do - since we have no way of knowing. No sense in wringing our hands over something we can't control or even truly interpret.

Although he tries to hide it, Woody is an extremely meddlesome owner. Anyone who believes that it wasn't Woody who demanded the acquisition of Tebow, despite Tannenbaum's claim that it was his own idea, needs to have his head examined.  Anyone who thinks that it was Idzik who refused to consider negotiating with Revis last off-season is an absolute fool.  Everyone knows it was Woody, notwithstanding his inappropriate commentary this week how he would have loved to have Revis at $12 million.  Not only is Woody meddlesome, he is a liar too.

Face it.  We are stuck with a dumb, inbred, clueless, silver-spoon owner who has never been personally successful at anything in his life outside of the charitable trust funds his family gave him to manage in order to keep him away from the J & J empire.  The man is a focking idiot.

Agreed and you can throw in the Favre acquisition and huge Santonio Holmes contract as well.

People like to place the blame for actions they don't like at the feet of potential culprits they don't like, so I chose Tannenbaum for this one. The fact that he was fired the year after making the trade might be a little evidence of that being the case. Plus, he copped to it in an interview shortly after he was fired.

I think Tanny lied about that to Francesa when he said it.  Keeping himself in good graces among owners around the league by doing so by not calling out Woody for his stupidity.   I firmly believe that Tebow was a 100% P.R./back page/sell some PSLs move ordered by Woody once he found out that Tebow could be had for a mid round pick.  Elway is still laughing as I type.  

Woody is a very meddlesome owner but unlike Jerry Jones or Snyder, he tries to conceal it.  The Jets problems all start at the top because of him.

I have a feeling there is no one, for GM or Head Coach, that will please the majority of the fanbase.

~50% of our fanbase will hate anyone, because :RexisGodCantBeReplaced:

~70% of our fanbase will hate anyone, because :WoodyisRichnDumb:

~30% of our fanbase will hate anyone, because they always hate anyone or anything the Jets do.

~5% of our fanbase will hate the actual choices, because of legitimate football/management disagreements.

For a fresh start for the franchise, something smells an awful lot like a rotting tuna right now.

Maybe he mis-spoke, I'm not sure what you'd like any of us to do - since we have no way of knowing. No sense in wringing our hands over something we can't control or even truly interpret.

I thought that was, more or less, the purpose of this message board.

I mean you're not even acknowledging that it was a worrisome statement.

I have a feeling there is no one, for GM or Head Coach, that will please the majority of the fanbase.

~30% of our fanbase will hate anyone, because they always hate anyone or anything the Jets do.

~5% of our fanbase will hate the actual choices, because of legitimate football/management disagreements.

For a fresh start for the franchise, something smells an awful lot like a rotting tuna right now.

I think that one is higher then 30% switch with the 50% Revis one.. :winking0001:

It's not.

If Casserly/Wolf, two more-then-legit NFL GM Vets, tell Woody to Hire Coach X now, because Coach X will not last till we find a new GM, I trust Casserly and Wolf enough to support that.

It's not like we don't have a trio of GM-alikes in place right now advising Woody, right?  The two Consultants and our own guy running the show temporarily.

If Woody hires someone first, I'm going to presume it'll be because that guy is a hot enough commodity that waiting = losing that guy, and the trio would be telling Woody "you can't lose that guy".

This idea that Woody is going to ignore his trio of GM-alikes, and run off and hire Steve Spurrior or something cause he likes the cut of his jib, and **** any future GM because :Woody: seems awful prejudicial to Woody, given the other actions he's taken thus far this offseason.

If you're going to fire a GM and Head Coach, as Woody has, whats he's done so far is exactly what I'd expect a good owner to do.  Bring in top-flight advisors who know football and talent, and get to work interviewing the top-tier candidates for both GM and Coach asap (before they can get hired by Atl/SF/Chi, all better rosters with less pressure) and hire the best available asap.

Yes, Ideally, GM then Coach.  But do you want to miss out on the best Coaches because we waited for a GM to be found?  Or hire the wrong GM because pressure to be fast so we won't lose out on Coaches?

Hopefully Woody was just tripping over his tongue again, and the Wolf/Casserly team has already explained to him that that's not how it works. That's not how any of this works.

Consultants do not tell the person that is paying them, how the process works. They make recommendations, and it is up to the person in charge to make the decisions. THAT is how the process works.

Interviewing HC candidates prior to hiring a GM is fine - but hiring a HC before a GM is just downright awful....

And he stated - hiring a GM before the HC is not a requirement.

The way I could see this happening is, the Jets come to an agreement with a GM that they will hire him as soon as his team is eliminated from the play offs. The Jets and the new soon to be GM agree on who the HC should be. The HC's team is eliminated before the GM's. The HC is being heavily sought after by other teams. It makes sense to hire him, with the soon to be GM's approval.

Just a scenario. I'm sure there is lots going on behind the scenes.

~5% of our fanbase will hate the actual choices, because of legitimate football/management

How do the Jets have a fanbase of 155%?

It's not.

If Casserly/Wolf, two more-then-legit NFL GM Vets, tell Woody to Hire Coach X now, because Coach X will not last till we find a new GM, I trust Casserly and Wolf enough to support that.

It's not like we don't have a trio of GM-alikes in place right now advising Woody, right?  The two Consultants and our own guy running the show temporarily.

If Woody hires someone first, I'm going to presume it'll be because that guy is a hot enough commodity that waiting = losing that guy, and the trio would be telling Woody "you can't lose that guy".

This idea that Woody is going to ignore his trio of GM-alikes, and run off and hire Steve Spurrior or something cause he likes the cut of his jib, and **** any future GM because :Woody: seems awful prejudicial to Woody, given the other actions he's taken thus far this offseason.

I simply couldn't disagree more.  You're not hiring Casserly or Wolf to run this team going forward...they are there to give advice.  You're hiring a GM to run the team and he should personally interview and choose HIS HC...

If you lose out on a "hot" candidate so be it.

I simply couldn't disagree more.  You're not hiring Casserly or Wolf to run this team going forward...they are there to give advice.  You're hiring a GM to run the team and he should personally interview and choose HIS HC...

If you lose out on a "hot" candidate so be it.

Only with their eyes wide shut.. :winking0001:

The way I could see this happening is, the Jets come to an agreement with a GM that they will hire him as soon as his team is eliminated from the play offs. The Jets and the new soon to be GM agree on who the HC should be. The HC's team is eliminated before the GM's. The HC is being heavily sought after by other teams. It makes sense to hire him, with the soon to be GM's approval.

Just a scenario. I'm sure there is lots going on behind the scenes.

Sure, in that scenario the GM is actually choosing his HC - 

Maybe, just maybe - something like that is already in the works and Woody didn't slip up but was rather laying the groundwork for what's to come.  It's wishful thinking but I'll hold on to that....

neigh... woddy final say on GM, GM final say on coach.. Only way someone worthy will take the job..

Just equate it to business.. If you are get job offer for CTO, but don't have the final say on who your lead developer is because your owner signs the checks, would you take job? Can't succeed as CTO with a bad lead developer just like you can't succeed as GM with a bad coach

in b4 last line is quoted

CTSM

Chan the Scrum Master.

The big problem right now is that the team is really in need of a Bill Parcells-like figure to take over the entire operation and lift it up, but there are no big fish like that out there. So while promoting a executive from one decent front office to be the GM, and a coordinator from another decent team to be the HC might actually turn out to be great moves, they're not going to be exciting moves. If there was someone like that out there, you'd have the majority of the fan base behind the move. But there's not. The closest they could get at this point would be to lure DeCosta, but that's extremely unlikely.

Without a new QB on the horizon, either, it looks like we're about to be asked to be patient. Maybe we need to be, but no one's gonna like it.

Even with proven NFL consultants on board with Woody, I hear they are lining up head coaching candidates while they still lack a general manager. Head coach is something that should not even be SPOKEN about until the team has hired a GM. Then you get the f out of his way and let him bring in the coach. I understand that Woody's parents were first cousins so that may help to explain his idiocy. He is simply retarded. I hope I am wrong, but this guy scares the sh*t out of me when it comes to making important decisions regarding the team. 

Woody is also a member of the "Lucky Sperm Club" and doesn't understand the concept of work because he never had to.

Consultants do not tell the person that is paying them, how the process works. They make recommendations, and it is up to the person in charge to make the decisions. THAT is how the process works.

Yeah well, looks like these consultants had better tell Woody that if he wants a quality GM in here this time, he'd better be willing to give that man final say on his head coach. It's either that, or he ends up with another Idzik.

As former GMs themselves, I'd like to think that they're stressing the importance of that part of the job to the owner.

Yeah well, looks like these consultants had better tell Woody that if he wants a quality GM in here this time, he'd better be willing to give that man final say on his head coach. It's either that, or he ends up with another Idzik.

As former GMs themselves, I'd like to think that they're stressing the importance of that part of the job to the owner.

So, you are saying that Idzik got stuck with a bad coach he didn't want?

It's worrisome if he hires a HC that sucks. If he had landed Harbaugh, then I'd not give 2 sh*ts. I prefer to do my worrying after cause has been established. 

The big problem right now is that the team is really in need of a Bill Parcells-like figure to take over the entire operation and lift it up, but there are no big fish like that out there. So while promoting a executive from one decent front office to be the GM, and a coordinator from another decent team to be the HC might actually turn out to be great moves, they're not going to be exciting moves. If there was someone like that out there, you'd have the majority of the fan base behind the move. But there's not. The closest they could get at this point would be to lure DeCosta, but that's extremely unlikely.

Without a new QB on the horizon, either, it looks like we're about to be asked to be patient. Maybe we need to be, but no one's gonna like it.

It amazes me people still think Bill Parcells "liften the franchise up".

He was a very good Coach (at times) who followed the worst Coach ever.  He gets a solid B+ as a Head Coach.

He was a flat out failure as a GM, A D grade or worse.  Idzik-alike.

And as a team President, he was a horror show of bad contracts, veteran payoffs, cap nightmares, personnel mismanagement (including Bellichek), and ineptitude.

We survived the Parcells Era because of a lot of good work that came after him making up for his myriad of **** ups.

But yes, he improved the team on the field, for one great year (of three, the other two pretty hugely disappointing).

One great year, and he is deified, all because he followed up a bad coach.

Amazing.

So, you are saying that Idzik got stuck with a bad coach he didn't want?

Nope. Idzik knew the parameters of the job when he took it. He also sucked.

Any quality GM candidate will want to name his own head coach. if the owner insists on naming the head coach first -no matter who it is- it's going to chase away those quality candidates, leaving him to choose from Idzik-grade candidates again.

Nope. Idzik knew the parameters of the job when he took it. He also sucked.

Any quality GM candidate will want to name his own head coach. if the owner insists on naming the head coach first -no matter who it is- it's going to chase away those quality candidates, leaving him to choose from Idzik-grade candidates again.

This is correct.

Archived