Anyone else think Woody will blow this? - Woody says he will! (Merged)

Ex-Rex

The way I could see this happening is, the Jets come to an agreement with a GM that they will hire him as soon as his team is eliminated from the play offs. The Jets and the new soon to be GM agree on who the HC should be. The HC's team is eliminated before the GM's. The HC is being heavily sought after by other teams. It makes sense to hire him, with the soon to be GM's approval.

Just a scenario. I'm sure there is lots going on behind the scenes.

Isn't that what I said in post #105?

Curious to see if you catch grief for something I totally agree with.

You should be scared that we think alike.  :winking0001:

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sure, in that scenario the GM is actually choosing his HC - 

Maybe, just maybe - something like that is already in the works and Woody didn't slip up but was rather laying the groundwork for what's to come.  It's wishful thinking but I'll hold on to that....

I'm hoping that we're making to much out of it. Maybe Woody just didn't want to be put in a box. What scared me more is his He/she as GM reference.

I was terrified he was talking about Dawn Aponte, who is the Dolphins VP of Football Administration. She was also a former employee of the Jets for 15 years. She was Tannenbaum's cap expert.

She has been meddlesome in the Dolphins organization, and probably the reason Philbin will be retained.

That scared me

It amazes me people still think Bill Parcells "liften the franchise up".

He was a very good Coach (at times) who followed the worst Coach ever.  He gets a solid B+ as a Head Coach.

He was a flat out failure as a GM, A D grade or worse.  Idzik-alike.

And as a team President, he was a horror show of bad contracts, veteran payoffs, cap nightmares, personnel mismanagement (including Bellichek), and ineptitude.

We survived the Parcells Era because of a lot of good work that came after him making up for his myriad of **** ups.

But yes, he improved the team on the field, for one great year (of three, the other two pretty hugely disappointing).

One great year, and he is deified, all because he followed up a bad coach.

Amazing.

+1 Yep and Tony Sparano took the 1-15 Fins to 11-5 and the playoffs year one with a QB the Tuna drafted.. :winking0001:

It amazes me people still think Bill Parcells "liften the franchise up".

He was a very good Coach (at times) who followed the worst Coach ever.  He gets a solid B+ as a Head Coach.

He was a flat out failure as a GM, A D grade or worse.  Idzik-alike.

And as a team President, he was a horror show of bad contracts, veteran payoffs, personnel mismanagement, and ineptitude.

We survived the Parcells Era because of a lot of good work that came after him making up for his myriad of **** ups.

But yes, he improved the team on the field, for one great year (of three, the other two pretty hugely disappointing).

One great year, and he is deified, all because he followed up a bad coach.

Amazing.

I'm no huge Parcells fan, we have other people here for that, but there's no denying that he completely changed the culture around here. And not just from the Kotite years, but from the Coslet/Steinberg/Walton years as well.

I have no idea what "good work" you're talking about after he left, either. Lol. Bradway, Edwards, Tannenbaum, Mangini... ? The perception of Rex and the incompetence of Idzik, on the heels of the Tannenbaum years, have left the franchise in need of that kind of white-washing again. Unfortunately, it's not available. Harbaugh was their best shot.

So it's gonna be some GM most fans had never heard of before, and some coordinator maybe some fans have heard of before. I can forgive the fanbase if they're divided and not all that excited.

WHO ARE YOU AND WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH SLATS?

Lol. I never denied that he changed the culture around here for the better, just that I agree with a lot of Warfish's points about him, too.

Like Rex, he was flawed. ;)

Nope. Idzik knew the parameters of the job when he took it. He also sucked.

Any quality GM candidate will want to name his own head coach. if the owner insists on naming the head coach first -no matter who it is- it's going to chase away those quality candidates, leaving him to choose from Idzik-grade candidates again.

this

+1

The man hired two of the better and most respected GM's, Casserly and Wolf, to advise him.  He appears willing to allow them to do their jobs.

What more, exactly, do you want?

I have never gotten the same "Constant Meddler" vibe from Woody Johnson that so many of his most vitriolic detractors do.

Personally, I believe most of that is more "Defend Rex" in motivation, because Rex had a far larger role/veto power over things than his fans want to believe.

No, I don't think Woody will blow it.  I think Casserly and Wolf and Co. may not hire the next Bill Parcells, but I think they'll recommend good, Beast Available, choices for GM and Head Coach.

Will that work out?  Probably not, most people don't work out.

But it won't be due to some nefarious Woody Scheme to save millions while screwing hard working working class hero New Yorkers (i.e. the current meme of ALOT of Jets Fans).

Woodys press conference was as bad as Idziks a few months back.

1) if you watched the other teams who kicked their coaches/ executives to the curb they tried to handle it in a classy way. Woody so obviously has disdane for Idzik and he didn't take a minute to acknowledge that he handed him a sh*t sandwich and handcuffed him with a coach, which NEVER happens in this league. His answer was " he accepted the job that way". Hiring and firing a GM in less than 24 months, considering the situation Idzik took over from day one, it's appropriate to thank him and to not look like as an owner you have no idea what you are looking for. I'm glad Idzik is gone, but singing Rex's praises while throwing Idzik under the bus was ignorant. Elite candidates know what a messed up situation Idzik took over and I can't imagine they would be lined up to work for a guy with Woodys attitude.

2) not only was it a HUGE mistake to imply that you would consider hiring a coach before a GM, but he also said that its a highly competitive environment so he may be forced to jump on the head coaching candidate first. This is a fact, but it's something you never say, especially at a press conference. It sounds desperate. You have to publicly portray this opportunity as the best in the NFL, even if it's not. This matters if you are going after "elite" candidates. If you want DeCosta and Bowles, guys who would be in high demand, you focus on what we offer that no other team does. 50 million in cap room, top 10 draft picks in every round, and most importantly NYC. If I'm DeCosta I wouldn't even consider accepting an interview knowing Woody is publicly saying that he will choose the head coach and might hire him before the GM.

3) he handled the questions about the remaining coaching staff and scouting department perfectly. He let them know that the leadership will decide their futures. Somehow Wolf and Casserly got that through his head, but there is nothing else about how to build an successful organization that he comprehends. The Revis thing was an obvious mistake, but it's been a bit overblown, it just brings attention to how clueless this guy is. An owner has more responsibility than exclusively signing checks. If you look at guys like traditional owners like the the ones in Baltimore, Philly, Giants, Seattle, New England, .... they set the tone for their franchises and they use their extensive experience building and running high end organizations to navigate the NFL. A pure trust fund baby like Woody is lost in the weeds, and the NFL isn't the best place to try and learn while wearing training wheels.

Being dumb is one thing, but it is possible to fake it. It's called PR. But, Being obviously and transparently lost and dumb is inexcusable.

Immediately I am a-little worried because we are interviewing defensive guys - and no offensive guys to my knowledge. We just fired the best defensive head-coach on the market. 

Why are we not interviewing Gase ? Not that I love him but its making me think we are not looking at offensive guys. 

Woodys press conference was as bad as Idziks a few months back.

1) if you watched the other teams who kicked their coaches/ executives to the curb they tried to handle it in a classy way. Woody so obviously has disdane for Idzik and he didn't take a minute to acknowledge that he handed him a sh*t sandwich and handcuffed him with a coach, which NEVER happens in this league. His answer was " he accepted the job that way". Hiring and firing a GM in less than 24 months, considering the situation Idzik took over from day one, it's appropriate to thank him and to not look like as an owner you have no idea what you are looking for. I'm glad Idzik is gone, but singing Rex's praises while throwing Idzik under the bus was ignorant. Elite candidates know what a messed up situation Idzik took over and I can't imagine they would be lined up to work for a guy with Woodys attitude.

2) not only was it a HUGE mistake to imply that you would consider hiring a coach before a GM, but he also said that its a highly competitive environment so he may be forced to jump on the head coaching candidate first. This is a fact, but it's something you never say, especially at a press conference. It sounds desperate. You have to publicly portray this opportunity as the best in the NFL, even if it's not. This matters if you are going after "elite" candidates. If you want DeCosta and Bowles, guys who would be in high demand, you focus on what we offer that no other team does. 50 million in cap room, top 10 draft picks in every round, and most importantly NYC. If I'm DeCosta I wouldn't even consider accepting an interview knowing Woody is publicly saying that he will choose the head coach and might hire him before the GM.

3) he handled the questions about the remaining coaching staff and scouting department perfectly. He let them know that the leadership will decide their futures. Somehow Wolf and Casserly got that through his head, but there is nothing else about how to build an successful organization that he comprehends. The Revis thing was an obvious mistake, but it's been a bit overblown, it just brings attention to how clueless this guy is. An owner has more responsibility than exclusively signing checks. If you look at guys like traditional owners like the the ones in Baltimore, Philly, Giants, Seattle, New England, .... they set the tone for their franchises and they use their extensive experience building and running high end organizations to navigate the NFL. A pure trust fund baby like Woody is lost in the weeds, and the NFL isn't the best place to try and learn while wearing training wheels.

Being dumb is one thing, but it is possible to fake it. It's called PR. But, Being obviously and transparently lost and dumb is inexcusable.

The Giants had Tim Mara that bought the team in 1925 for 500 bucks they are trust fund babies also.. Kraft married into it and Eagles Luries is grandfathered in from long ago..Baltimore's owner is selfmade as is the Seahawks Paul Allen that was partners with Gates in Microsoft..

The Giants had Tim Mara that bought the team in 1925 for 500 bucks they are trust fund babies also.. Kraft married into it and Eagles Luries is grandfathered in from long ago..Baltimore's owner is selfmade as is the Seahawks Paul Allen that was partners with Gates in Microsoft..

The maras have been part of this from way back, and they had the chance to learn. And Kraft has done a masterful job as an owner. If we give Woody 90 years like the Maras maybe he can win a super bowl

The problem is the Jets shouldn't even be TALKING to HC candidates until a GM is in place. It is the job of the GM to hire the head coach. As usual, per his retardation problem Woody chooses to talk to both at the same time, not realizing there might be problems with compatibility as with Rex and Idzik. Rich cousins screwing each other and producing a turnip who turns out to be the Jets owner is a scary thing. No wonder Parcells and BB ran for the hills.

So under your plan we should wait until February and the hire Eric Mangini since all the candidates worth hiring have taken the other open positions.

Then you and the other don't geniuses can b1tch, whine and moan that "that dumb Woody waited too long and missed out on all the good guys!!"

Having C and W, two respected experienced football guys do the preliminary interviews and legwork is the exact correct thing to do

What happens if Casserly says one thing and Wolfe something else?

Will Woody just flip a coin?

He'll do what Kraft would do...cheat, coddle and reward a serial murderer and chase a bimbo while his poor dead wife isn't even cold yet

Bears too. Their fans are just as pissed off & scared as the Jets fans over new GM/HC. Their Ownership team (Halas daughters husband & President) said they could hire a HC before a GM. And they are also using Ernie Accorsi (also part of the new NFL Advisory panel) as a consultant.

+1

The man hired two of the better and most respected GM's, Casserly and Wolf, to advise him.  He appears willing to allow them to do their jobs.

What more, exactly, do you want?

I have never gotten the same "Constant Meddler" vibe from Woody Johnson that so many of his most vitriolic detractors do.

Personally, I believe most of that is more "Defend Rex" in motivation, because Rex had a far larger role/veto power over things than his fans want to believe.

No, I don't think Woody will blow it.  I think Casserly and Wolf and Co. may not hire the next Bill Parcells, but I think they'll recommend good, Beast Available, choices for GM and Head Coach.

Will that work out?  Probably not, most people don't work out.

But it won't be due to some nefarious Woody Scheme to save millions while screwing hard working working class hero New Yorkers (i.e. the current meme of ALOT of Jets Fans).

Agreed. I don't understand some of this whining on here.

Especially since Brady..

I know what your saying and I dont want to turn this into a Kraft love fest. But the guy has positioned himself as a major player in this league as we saw during the labor negotiations a few years ago, he has found ways to get by as one of the most respected owners with cheating scandals and high profile murders as part of his teams legacy, he has found away to coexist with Belichcik (which can't be easy) and he has hired 2 HC's the whole time he has been the owner... Pete Carroll and Billy B. Maybe the best football minds and motivators of the last 30 years.

I know having a guy like Brady makes life easier, but he's also been able to keep him happy. We had a game changer with Revis and Woody always seemed to be at odds with him.

I am not trying to pile on right now with Woody, obviously this is the real low point of his time here. But I can't think of one thing this guy has done to make Jets fans proud. From losing Belichick, to hiring Bradway and Edwards to run the team, to not firing Bradway altogether and allowing him to botch draft after draft, including a ton of top 20 draft picks, to the whole west side stadium debacle... The list goes on and on. He's beyond lost, and there are legitimate questions about him being cheap especially when you look at the average pay rate of our Head Coaches and GM's. All first time guys under Woody... which equals inexpensive.

I cannot believe my ears. Why is woody Johnson interviewing coaches? The GM is supposed to pick the HC, no? Isn't that the reason we got F'ed up last time, because Ditzik was handed Rex and had no choice but to keep him?

If this is my team, I go for a solid, strong GM first, then he hires the HC. Not the HC hiring the GM, that is a$$backwards.

One thing I think many people haven't noticed is that most of the GM and HC candidates are linked to each other, so it wouldn't be a stretch to say a GM candidate's choice for head coach is already being looked at by Woody.

- Kirshner is working with Quinn and Cable in Seattle

- DeCosta is working with Kubiak.

- Maccagnan worked with Kubiak in Houston.

- Mueller worked with Bowles in Philly.

I think they are interviewing coaches that are still in the playoffs because you only get limited windows until they become available ditto for GM candidates

the scary thing is I read woody said in his presser that he will hire the HC but "listen to his GM"

I think he is looking for a strong HC and a glorified scout GM to pick players

we have no idea what casserly and wolf are telling him.  I would think they would tell him to hire the GM first.  but if wolf is pushing his kid, he doesn't have the clout to make any demands.  he is 30 years old.  he could actually work well with a strong HC

They can only interview coaches on playoff teams this week, while they are on their bye. Otherwise they have to wait until their team is eliminated. There's no harm in seeing what these guys are about while you can.

Then they can give the new GM a list of the coaches they liked best, and allow them to conduct second interviews.

Archived