Anyone else think Woody will blow this? - Woody says he will! (Merged)

Ex-Rex

I think they are interviewing coaches that are still in the playoffs because you only get limited windows until they become available ditto for GM candidates

the scary thing is I read woody said in his presser that he will hire the HC but "listen to his GM"

I think he is looking for a strong HC and a glorified scout GM to pick players

we have no idea what casserly and wolf are telling him.  I would think they would tell him to hire the GM first.  but if wolf is pushing his kid, he doesn't have the clout to make any demands.  he is 30 years old.  he could actually work well with a strong HC

he didnt say he was going to pick the HC he said he was going to hire the head coach, like he hires everyone from the team president down to the stadium workers.

he also went on and on about how creating a synergy between GM and HC was critical to the success of the team.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Woodys press conference was as bad as Idziks a few months back.

1) if you watched the other teams who kicked their coaches/ executives to the curb they tried to handle it in a classy way. Woody so obviously has disdane for Idzik and he didn't take a minute to acknowledge that he handed him a sh*t sandwich and handcuffed him with a coach, which NEVER happens in this league. His answer was " he accepted the job that way". Hiring and firing a GM in less than 24 months, considering the situation Idzik took over from day one, it's appropriate to thank him and to not look like as an owner you have no idea what you are looking for. I'm glad Idzik is gone, but singing Rex's praises while throwing Idzik under the bus was ignorant. Elite candidates know what a messed up situation Idzik took over and I can't imagine they would be lined up to work for a guy with Woodys attitude.

2) not only was it a HUGE mistake to imply that you would consider hiring a coach before a GM, but he also said that its a highly competitive environment so he may be forced to jump on the head coaching candidate first. This is a fact, but it's something you never say, especially at a press conference. It sounds desperate. You have to publicly portray this opportunity as the best in the NFL, even if it's not. This matters if you are going after "elite" candidates. If you want DeCosta and Bowles, guys who would be in high demand, you focus on what we offer that no other team does. 50 million in cap room, top 10 draft picks in every round, and most importantly NYC. If I'm DeCosta I wouldn't even consider accepting an interview knowing Woody is publicly saying that he will choose the head coach and might hire him before the GM.

3) he handled the questions about the remaining coaching staff and scouting department perfectly. He let them know that the leadership will decide their futures. Somehow Wolf and Casserly got that through his head, but there is nothing else about how to build an successful organization that he comprehends. The Revis thing was an obvious mistake, but it's been a bit overblown, it just brings attention to how clueless this guy is. An owner has more responsibility than exclusively signing checks. If you look at guys like traditional owners like the the ones in Baltimore, Philly, Giants, Seattle, New England, .... they set the tone for their franchises and they use their extensive experience building and running high end organizations to navigate the NFL. A pure trust fund baby like Woody is lost in the weeds, and the NFL isn't the best place to try and learn while wearing training wheels.

Being dumb is one thing, but it is possible to fake it. It's called PR. But, Being obviously and transparently lost and dumb is inexcusable.

This belief that Idzik came into an absolute sh*t sandwich of a situation continues to baffle me.  We were f*cked on the CAP sure, but there were no hard cuts that needed to be made.  The cuts that WERE made, most people saw coming a mile away.  I could have made them.  Then they got through 2013 with an 8-8 record, retained the coach that overachieved, made the rest of the obvious cuts, and went into the offseason absolutely LOADED with cash and draft picks.  I'm not even a Rex defender but that guy got f*cked worse that absolute failed abortion Idzik did.  12 picks in a deep draft and we walk away with almost nothing.  All the cap space you could want for a free agent class with the likes of Revis, Emmanuel Sanders, Golden Tate, DRC, etc.,  and we end up with Eric Decker (give him credit there) and Dimitri Patterson.  We let Antonio Cromartie go to the cards for peanuts, instead of resigning him like most of us wanted him to, and he enjoyed a pretty damn good season.  Then came the rumors that this guy sabotaged Rex from the very beginning of the offseason and essentially threw away an entire season to get his way.  I'm sorry but F*CK John Idzik.  Anyone defending this jerkoff after the season we just had is a mindless buffoon. 

If I were Woody and I witnessed what I did this year I would ABSOLUTELY have disdain for John Idzik like he does.  I'm not absolving Rex of sh*t but his situation was more of "it's time for us both to move on" more than anything else. Hell, there's even a belief around the league that we might regret letting him go.  Even if you don't believe that, it speaks volumes about the respect for Ryan around the NFL.  Idzik just f*cking sucked.  There were multiple quotes from GM's and guys around the league that Idzik was an absolute clown who was clearly in over his head.  There is not a single GM candidate worth hiring that is going to look at that buck-tooth, scarecrow looking, d!ckhead like he was a victim of terrible circumstance.

Archived