Doug Marrone Opts Out - MERGED

JetsFanatic

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't be interested. He's not bad but he's the type of coach that has a ceiling. He may get your team to 9-7 or 10-6 but that's it. He's not going to change the culture.

I would have rather kept Rex and I wanted him gone.

He kicked Rex's ass 3 out of 4 times. He is definitely my first choice.

I wouldn't be interested. He's not bad but he's the type of coach that has a ceiling. He may get your team to 9-7 or 10-6 but that's it. He's not going to change the culture.

Judging by the candidates mentioned an the fanbase reaction to them, it seems that this is going to be a popular thought in Jetsland.

With an undermanned squad he kicked some Pat tail Sunday in Foxboro, and further kept his team together enough to hammer Ryan's Jets in Detroit. Same idea as every other candidate, open mind, bring him in. He was also OL coach in the later stages of the Edwards Error here and the OL did get better. He did a decent job with Syracuse. Couldn't hurt to talk to him. 

I'd expect Woody to hire him if Casserly and Wolfe weren't advising him, but I can't imagine that those two would allow him to hire a coach like Marrone without already having hired a GM. 

I could see them endorsing the hiring of someone with the stature of Harbaugh or Gruden without having first hired a GM, but not someone like Doug Marrone.

What I like about it is that he's not afraid to tell his superiors to go **** themselves if they try to tell him how to run his team. The man had the balls to bench Manuel.

Oh yeah, about Manuel, he wasn't exactly the next Peyton.

With an undermanned squad he kicked some Pat tail Sunday in Foxboro, and further kept his team together enough to hammer Ryan's Jets in Detroit. Same idea as every other candidate, open mind, bring him in. He was also OL coach in the later stages of the Edwards Error here and the OL did get better. He did a decent job with Syracuse. Couldn't hurt to talk to him. 

Yeah, he really did a great job against the backups.

Bills fans hate the guy.

http://billsmafia.com/2014/11/22/doug-whaley-stay-buffalo-bills-gm/

Speaking of Doug Marrone – he should be gone.  No questions asked.  Do not pass go, do not collect whatever bonuses may have been included in his contract had he coached it out.  GONE.  He has proven to be a completely incompetent in-game head coach in the National Football League.  He misuses timeouts, he is almost always late or completely negligent in making in-game adjustments and, worst of all, he coaches fricken SCARED.  Sorry, I just felt like that deserved both bold and caps because that is the biggest thing that infuriates me about the guy.

Marrone coaches not to lose.  It’s as simple as that.  That worked in the NFL of the 1980’s.  It doesn’t work today.  Offenses are too good to expect to punt on every questionable 4th down in the second half because you want your defense to win the field position battle.  In this league, you need to coach to win the football game.  Doug Marrone simply does not do that.  He has also proven that he isn’t a great relationship builder in the locker room, either (see Williams, Mike and the training cap drama).  That doesn’t help his cause.

As far as the rest of the coaching staff goes, the offensive staff can hop on the same bus out of town as Marrone is.  They’re not as much of a problem, but they certainly haven’t proven to be part of the solution, either.  Maybe Nathaniel Hackett will be a great offensive coordinator somewhere down the line.  Who knows.  But he isn’t ready for the job quite yet.  His play designs are generally fine, but similar to Marrone, he has displayed an inability to consistently get a feel for game flow and call the right plays, particularly in the red zone.  And that is an area that has absolutely killed the offense this season.

Very interesting reaction. Media seems to like it. Fans seem to hate it. Maybe that's usual

I think that probabl has to do with the fact that the media finds the Jets more interesting when there's turmoil and therefore support a hire that the fans would hate.  The Jets aren't exciting to the media when they're winning.  It's a much more interesting team to cover when there are banners flying over practice and the organization's ineptitude is on full display on a constant basis.

Brady didn't play the whole game and BB sat some starters he had the number 1 seed.. I agree bringing him in for a interview can't hurt..

@JasonLaCanfora: Marrone will quickly emerge as a HC candidate with the Jets. And if Maccagnan gets that GM job, Marrone's candidacy will only get stronger

@JasonLaCanfora: And with the Jets, Marrone and Maccagnan go way, way back. Maccagnan signed him to be QB of the London Monarchs in 1991. Strong bond there

Think Jason meant OL.

@McClain_on_NFL: Mike Maccagnan has been a tireless worker behind the scenes helping Texans draft players who won 2 division titles and finish 9-7 in 2014.

@McClain_on_NFL: Director of college scouting Mike Maccagnan and director of pro personnel Brian Gaine r 2 of the most respected members of the front office

I'd expect Woody to hire him if Casserly and Wolfe weren't advising him, but I can't imagine that those two would allow him to hire a coach like Marrone without already having hired a GM.

I could see them endorsing the hiring of someone with the stature of Harbaugh or Gruden without having first hired a GM, but not someone like Doug Marrone.

My thoughts exactly.

Archived