Doug Marrone Opts Out - MERGED

JetsFanatic

And also, are we really getting on Marrone for drafting Manuel? Besides the fact that the GM makes that decision, that was a terrible QB draft. Who were they supposed to take? Barkley? Geno?? Manuel was taken where he was projected to go, mid first to early second. On top of all this Marrone is the guy who benched his ass for underperforming. Sounds refreshing to me.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why Doug Marrone would be perfect for the Jets

By Steve Serby

January 1, 2015 | 3:57am

doug-and-tom.jpg?w=720&h=480&crop=1

You can take the boy out of The Bronx, but you can’t take The Bronx out of the boy, and the Jets should go get Doug Marrone, the former head coach of the Bills and one of their own once, to succeed Rex Ryan. Marrone is a tough, fearless, blue-collar football guy with nerve who has a chance to be a young Tom Coughlin, and not only because they share a connection with Syracuse University. “Marrone is a spitting image of him,” Giants rookie defensive tackle Jay Bromley, who played at Syracuse under Marrone, told NJ.com over the summer. “There are a bunch of rules and stuff, but you don’t pay any attention to it. If you do the right things, you don’t ever run across anything where you are doing anything wrong.” Marrone, with uncertainty surrounding new Bills owner Terry Pegula, opted out of his contract on New Year’s Eve, and the wheels began turning immediately inside the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center. Hiring a head coach before a general manager isn’t the ideal way to go — unless you believe you have the right head coach (Pete Carroll/John Schneider, Andy Reid/John Dorsey). Marrone not only knows the AFC East, he has proven to be a no-nonsense disciplinarian who isn’t afraid to make the tough decisions. Unlike Ryan, who would not — or could not — bench Geno Smith early enough, Marrone yanked EJ Manuel after only four games and nearly made the playoffs with journeyman Kyle Orton, who just retired. And Manuel was the Bills’ No. 1 draft pick in 2013, ahead of Smith, the Jets’ second-round pick. Marrone’s strong leadership during the blizzard that crippled Buffalo and forced the postponed Jets-Bills game to move to Detroit on a Monday night was exemplary. When the Giants and Bills met in the Hall of Fame game, Marrone gushed about his admiration for Coughlin. “He helped me out quite a bit when I was the head coach at Syracuse,” Marrone said. “We’ve always had a good relationship, and I think the common denominator is that we both went to school there, and we’re in this profession together. “I have a lot of respect for him. I’ve always followed him, always admired the work that he’s done, and like I said before, we used to meet once a year. I’d go and talk to him and he helped me out quite a bit.” When Marrone was hired by then-GM Buddy Nix, former Jets center Kevin Mawae, who played when Marrone was Jets offensive line coach under Herm Edwards from 2002 to 2006, gave the Buffalo News a glowing recommendation. “I’ve had four great offensive line coaches, and he’s definitely one of them,” Mawae said. “Buffalo’s lucky to have him. The one thing I always appreciated about Doug is he played the game. He played in college at a high level, played in the NFL. That gave him a perspective that a lot of times coaches don’t have. Players appreciate that.” Marrone built Saints coach Sean Payton’s Super Bowl champion offensive line. “To be close to him and see what he went through as a head coach was obviously very helpful,” Marrone told SI.com. Marrone always has been indebted to his coach at Syracuse, Dick MacPherson. “Doug is a good coach,” Coughlin said in an interview not long after the Bills hired Marrone. “We’ve watched him closely when he was at Syracuse. He’s very serious, very smart. Syracuse is going to miss Doug Marrone, no doubt.”

So are the Bills. The press conferences won’t be anywhere near as entertaining as Ryan’s. Marrone, secretive with injuries, is all football, all the time. Has been from Lehman High School, to watering the football fields at SUNY Cortland when he was tight ends coach, all the way to now. And that’s not a bad thing at all.

I always take Serby with a grain of salt.

Unlike Semen and Womanish, he obviously doesn't hate, loathe and abhor everything about the Jets from owner to towelboys.

But he tends to be a bit of a chameleon...he will write this now and write columns before the season predicting great seasons for both the Jets and Giants and then, after one loss each, he will write columns calling for the firing of everyone NOW...

And also, are we really getting on Marrone for drafting Manuel? Besides the fact that the GM makes that decision, that was a terrible QB draft. Who were they supposed to take? Barkley? Geno?? Manuel was taken where he was projected to go, mid first to early second. On top of all this Marrone is the guy who benched his ass for underperforming. Sounds refreshing to me.

I liked Manuel better than Geno that year, but Manuel was expected to go after him. I don't remember for sure, but was Manuel even at the draft? We all remember Geno there. In fact, the big QB rumor that year was that Marrone was gonna take Nassib in the first round.

They were QB starved just like the Jets that year. Can't kill either team for taking what was available.

But the QB conversation is certainly fair. It's still a big issue here, and we all want a head coach/GM who's going to fix that one critical spot. How much influence did he have in Manuel pick before he got the great big balls to bench him is a valid question.

Lets be honest. If 3 weeks ago, i opened a thread saying we need to pry doug maroon away from buffalo cause hes the guy we need, not one person would have said, "Thats exactly what we need to do.".

The only reason anyone here has convinced themselves this is a great move is because you love the jets and want to be positive.

But doug maroon is not taking us anywhere and would be an awful hire. Lets call it like it is.

and you know this how?   100% unsupported opinion with no basis in logic and zero credibility, yet expressed as fact.   ugh.  Thanks for such valuable insight.

Rex Ryan out, Doug Marrone in?

Facepalm.... I thought the idea was to upgrade?

It is an upgrade, Rex was 4-12 ( 4 consecutive non-winning seasons with combined record of 26-38).  Marrone was 15-17, including a winning record in 2014, taking 3 out of 4 from Rex over the past 2 seasons.

Try putting it in context a little bit. Manuel is still better than Geno or Millner. He actually wasn't totally awful like Geno. Marrone just believes in starting the guys who give the team the best chance to win. Refreshing tbh.

That is just false. Manuel was WORSE than Geno, believe it or not.

That's why I don't get the infatuation some have with Marrone. Well, that and the fact he's an offensive coach and their offense has been boring and unimaginative despite having several playmakers.

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=nflnation&id=157079&src=desktop&rand=ref~%7B%22ref%22%3A%22https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F%22%7D

Connecting dots between Casserly, Marrone and Maccagnan

By Rich Cimini | January 1, 2015 12:20:06 PM PST

Let's play connect the dots.

One of the key figures in the New York Jets' search team is consultant Charley Casserly, who, along with Ron Wolf, is advising owner Woody Johnson. Casserly's career is defined by two jobs -- he was the general manager of the Washington Redskins and Houston Texans.

One of the names on the Jets' list of GM candidates is Mike Maccagnan, the Texans' director of college scouting. He and Casserly are close. In fact, Casserly gave Maccagnan his entry into the NFL. He was a Redskins scout from 1994 to 1999, working under Casserly. When Casserly took over the Texans in 2000, he hired Maccagnan as a scout.

One of Maccagnan's first jobs out of college was working as the personnel director of the World League's London Monarchs in 1991. One of the players on the team was Doug Marrone, an offensive lineman. They became friends and have remained so.

On Wednesday, Marrone emerged as a serious candidate for the Jets' head-coaching vacancy. As we noted Wednesday night, Casserly is a Marrone fan.

This isn't that hard to figure out. It would hardly be a shock if the Jets' concurrent searches end with a Marrone-Maccagnan tandem.

Connecting dots between Casserly, Marrone and Maccagnan
January, 1, 2015
Jan 1
11:20
AM ET
By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

One of the key figures in the New York Jets' search team is consultant Charley Casserly, who, along with Ron Wolf, is advising owner Woody Johnson. Casserly's career is defined by two jobs -- he was the general manager of the Washington Redskins and Houston Texans.

Coaching Carousel

nfl.gifFollow the league's head-coaching vacancies as positions become open and as they're filled. Chart

One of the names on the Jets' list of GM candidates is Mike Maccagnan, the Texans' director of college scouting. He and Casserly are close. In fact, Casserly gave Maccagnan his entry into the NFL. He was a Redskins scout from 1994 to 1999, working under Casserly. When Casserly took over the Texans in 2000, he hired Maccagnan as a scout.

One of Maccagnan's first jobs out of college was working as the personnel director of the World League's London Monarchs in 1991. One of the players on the team was Doug Marrone, an offensive lineman. They became friends and have remained so.

On Wednesday, Marrone emerged as a serious candidate for the Jets' head-coaching vacancy. As we noted Wednesday night, Casserly is a Marrone fan.

This isn't that hard to figure out. It would hardly be a shock if the Jets' concurrent searches end with a Marrone-Maccagnan tandem.

But the Idzik Jets beat the Steelers, Dolphins (twice), Pats, and Saints, so it's all good.

Whine about the fired head coach in the Rex is gonna interview thread. He's gone, that's over. If he sucked as much as you say, beating him is no great shakes, anyway.

I'm all for talking about how the Jets might get better in the future, though.

Whine about the fired head coach in the Rex is gonna interview thread. He's gone, that's over. If he sucked as much as you say, beating him is no great shakes, anyway.

I'm all for talking about how the Jets might get better in the future, though.

we were talking Idzik, I thought?

add sexton and you can see tampering in those dots

I bet casserly was the guy who called sexton about marone which led to rex cleaning out his office

I'm no lawyer, but if casserly was formerly hired to work on woody's behalf and represent him when he called sexton, and marone then opts out of his deal, this will be investigated

hope it doesn't cost us our 1st rd pick

could his 3 day window to make a decision have been a tampering free window ?

add sexton and you can see tampering in those dots

I bet casserly was the guy who called sexton about marone which led to rex cleaning out his office

I'm no lawyer, but if casserly was formerly hired to work on woody's behalf and represent him when he called sexton, and marone then opts out of his deal, this will be investigated

hope it doesn't cost us our 1st rd pick

could his 3 day window to make a decision have been a tampering free window ?

Given the NFL's recent struggles with investigations, I don't know. Plus  I think Casserly was calling about coach options before Woody hired him formally

Rex Ryan out, Doug Marrone in?

Facepalm.... I thought the idea was to upgrade?

if this happens, it may have been a classic case of the pendulum swinging the other way

not on football results, but in style

defense to offense

loud mouth to tight lipped

favorite uncle to tough dad

players coach to coughlin type

Given the NFL's recent struggles with investigations, I don't know. Plus  I think Casserly was calling about coach options before Woody hired him formally

I hope so.  it may be a technicality, but a technicality that saves us a pick

Connecting dots between Casserly, Marrone and Maccagnan
January, 1, 2015
Jan 1
11:20
AM ET
By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

Coaching Carousel

nfl.gifFollow the league's head-coaching vacancies as positions become open and as they're filled. Chart

So, instead of Ron (Holmgren-Favre-White) Wolf, we'd be getting a heavy dose of Charley (#3Heath Shuler-#1David Carr-18-46 Texans) Casserly. 

Archived