Doug Marrone Opts Out - MERGED

JetsFanatic

That's not the point.  The point is that he took EJ Manuel -- a guy who was graded as a third rounder -- with a first round pick.  It was terrible.

First he is a coach and not the general manager/dir of scouting or similar. Except for BB, Carroll, Reid, no coaches have final say on draft picks.  They do have input, or at least most due.  He may have though Manuel was a good choice, and he was the best qb on the board. Even if the GM wanted to get him Manuel per his request, if he realy was "graded as a 3rd rd pick' why didn't the GM trade down?

Felt the same way. At first, I couidnt understand the Marrone fascination, then I got a few texts from a Bills/SU fan saying he's the anti-Rex (which I was pumped about). His teams butchered Rex, they play the Pats close (which, according to Rex fans, is the true mark of greatness), and he's all business. He'd come here and humiliate Mehta on a daily basis. There will be no tattoos of bad QBs, no Santonio Holmes mutinies, he'll destroy malcontents, and he might put Woody in his place. All good things, imo, especially if he comes in a package deal with one of the big GM prospects who are rumored to like Marrone.

Also, as an aside, as perfect as that Buffalo situation would be for Rex (he could bring his whole posse of enablers!) he hasn't even been rumored to get a sniff of that job yet.

and he has a background in offense, not defense.

do you know if he called the plays in buffalo ?   I prefer the executive who prowls the sidelines paying attention to all 3 phases

I'm confused here because I know how much you love 4th grade recitals which is weird because you don't have kids.

My son is in 5th grade and I've been to 3 recitals.  They're about as exciting as watching Doug Marrone call a game.

So let me get this straight. On Doug Marrone's coaching staff in Buffalo are Herman Edwards former Defensive Coordinator as a secondary coach and the Son of his former Offensive coordinator at the same position.

I think I am all in on this hire especially if this coach can get some of his old staff to come here with him.

First he is a coach and not the general manager/dir of scouting or similar. Except for BB, Carroll, Reid, no coaches have final say on draft picks.  They do have input, or at least most due.  He may have though Manuel was a good choice, and he was the best qb on the board. Even if the GM wanted to get him Manuel per his request, if he realy was "graded as a 3rd rd pick' why didn't the GM trade down?

Why are you assuming that Buddy Nix was competent?

Wow this is just like JI. Nice to see all of you on board.

BTW - don't we have to hire a GM FIRST??????????

Not if you are the J-E-T-S. !     We do things different and we like it that way.   This is the team that moved up for Dwayne Robertson;  saw Kyle Wilson as a 1st round talent.

Got starting QB hurt  in the Snoopy Bowl.

• Upvote 1

Not if you are the J-E-T-S. !     We do things different and we like it that way.   This is the team that moved up for Dwayne Robertson;  saw Kyle Wilson as a 1st round talent.

Got starting QB hurt  in the Snoopy Bowl.

Draft experts saw him has first round talent as well. So take that off your list

Lets see...Marrone’s agent is Jimmy Sexton..same agent as Rex's....So....

Jets, Woody or Glat contact Sexton and say "Jimmy, we're letting Rex go let's talk how to close this up"

Sexton: "OK, not a problem we knew this was coming..No sweat...Hey, BTW my guy Dougie Marrone has an out clause and there's a possibility we're going to opt out..Any interest?"

Jets: "Let's talk if he opts out...definitely..."

Jets, Woody or Glat contact Sexton and say "Jimmy, we're letting Rex go let's talk how to close this up"

Sexton: "OK, not a problem we knew this was coming..No sweat...Hey, BTW my guy Dougie Marrone has an out clause and there's a possibility we're going to opt out..Any interest?"

That's probably pretty accurate.

Why Doug Marrone would be perfect for the Jets

By Steve Serby

January 1, 2015 | 3:57am

doug-and-tom.jpg?w=720&h=480&crop=1

You can take the boy out of The Bronx, but you can’t take The Bronx out of the boy, and the Jets should go get Doug Marrone, the former head coach of the Bills and one of their own once, to succeed Rex Ryan. Marrone is a tough, fearless, blue-collar football guy with nerve who has a chance to be a young Tom Coughlin, and not only because they share a connection with Syracuse University. “Marrone is a spitting image of him,” Giants rookie defensive tackle Jay Bromley, who played at Syracuse under Marrone, told NJ.com over the summer. “There are a bunch of rules and stuff, but you don’t pay any attention to it. If you do the right things, you don’t ever run across anything where you are doing anything wrong.” Marrone, with uncertainty surrounding new Bills owner Terry Pegula, opted out of his contract on New Year’s Eve, and the wheels began turning immediately inside the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center. Hiring a head coach before a general manager isn’t the ideal way to go — unless you believe you have the right head coach (Pete Carroll/John Schneider, Andy Reid/John Dorsey). Marrone not only knows the AFC East, he has proven to be a no-nonsense disciplinarian who isn’t afraid to make the tough decisions. Unlike Ryan, who would not — or could not — bench Geno Smith early enough, Marrone yanked EJ Manuel after only four games and nearly made the playoffs with journeyman Kyle Orton, who just retired. And Manuel was the Bills’ No. 1 draft pick in 2013, ahead of Smith, the Jets’ second-round pick. Marrone’s strong leadership during the blizzard that crippled Buffalo and forced the postponed Jets-Bills game to move to Detroit on a Monday night was exemplary. When the Giants and Bills met in the Hall of Fame game, Marrone gushed about his admiration for Coughlin. “He helped me out quite a bit when I was the head coach at Syracuse,” Marrone said. “We’ve always had a good relationship, and I think the common denominator is that we both went to school there, and we’re in this profession together. “I have a lot of respect for him. I’ve always followed him, always admired the work that he’s done, and like I said before, we used to meet once a year. I’d go and talk to him and he helped me out quite a bit.” When Marrone was hired by then-GM Buddy Nix, former Jets center Kevin Mawae, who played when Marrone was Jets offensive line coach under Herm Edwards from 2002 to 2006, gave the Buffalo News a glowing recommendation. “I’ve had four great offensive line coaches, and he’s definitely one of them,” Mawae said. “Buffalo’s lucky to have him. The one thing I always appreciated about Doug is he played the game. He played in college at a high level, played in the NFL. That gave him a perspective that a lot of times coaches don’t have. Players appreciate that.” Marrone built Saints coach Sean Payton’s Super Bowl champion offensive line. “To be close to him and see what he went through as a head coach was obviously very helpful,” Marrone told SI.com. Marrone always has been indebted to his coach at Syracuse, Dick MacPherson. “Doug is a good coach,” Coughlin said in an interview not long after the Bills hired Marrone. “We’ve watched him closely when he was at Syracuse. He’s very serious, very smart. Syracuse is going to miss Doug Marrone, no doubt.”

So are the Bills. The press conferences won’t be anywhere near as entertaining as Ryan’s. Marrone, secretive with injuries, is all football, all the time. Has been from Lehman High School, to watering the football fields at SUNY Cortland when he was tight ends coach, all the way to now. And that’s not a bad thing at all.

Recent history--Seattle hired Carroll first...KC hired Reid first..Then both teams hired a GM...

Those guys have a little higher profile than Doug Marrone. They were hired to run the whole operation, with a GM more or less working for them. Has Doug Marrone earned that type of respect at this point?

This news seemed to come out of nowhere, and I'm still not sure how I feel about it. I get the positives, the hard-ass thing, tough of the media, stood up to his front office, etc. I don't know. Seems like a strong candidate, but I don't know if I drop everything and hire him before I hire a GM just because he became available yesterday.

Sexton quadruple dips here. He gets a cut of Rex's severance, of Rex's CBS deal, of Marrone's opt-out, and Marrone's new deal. Guy is loving life right now.

• Upvote 1

One WR doesn't improve your team that much.  Trading up for Julio Jones didn't make Atlanta a perennial contender and Sammy Watkins won't make the Bills into one.

and considering that class, they could have traded back and landed a pro-bowl WR

My concern was the egg he laid vs oak with everything in the line, against a less talented team.

Did marrone have any say in personell moves? Who's idea was it to trade that extra pick for Watkins with obj on the board?

The flip side, what I read he is a tough dude, who takes no crap, I think we could use some of that.

His record was very so so, but is he just a guy or a coach on the rise? Can he work with qbs? He didn't have much success with ej that's for sure, and geno looks like another challenging guy similar to ej, so...

Don't love the fact that the bills fans are trashing him, but I would too if a guy left my team.

I would live with this hire, but would probably feel a lot better with Quinn or bowls, or Kubiak.

I still don't know why we aren't hiring a gm first....

that's tampering for real, not the stupid comments woody made about revis. 

I wonder who rex takes with our pick ?

I know what his college coach -- who evaluated him -- said about him.  By the way, if Manuel didn't come out, he was going to be benched for a red-shirt freshman.  Where do you think he would have been drafted then?

No idea..Just like Brandt & Mayock I didn't know Fisher worked for a NFL team...Hey, it's no biggie...They question is can Marrone coach..lead a team..instill discipline / accountability..put together a staff..can his staff coach / teach..get results...

Gary Myers@garymyersNYDN 1h1 hour ago

Woody Johnson leaves for Seattle tonight with consultants Charley Casserly and Ron Wolf for interview with Dan Quinn and others.

So obviously he's going to hire Marrone

I'm happy to see this. No knee jerk reaction. Complete the GM/HC search thoroughly. This is what I meant before when I said if wolf and cass weren't here Woody probably would've had a presser for marrone by now. Wolf and Cass are going to pick the best guy for the job, whether that's marrone or not I'm satisfied knowing they're going to do a complete search.