Doug Marrone Opts Out - MERGED

JetsFanatic

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those guys have a little higher profile than Doug Marrone. They were hired to run the whole operation, with a GM more or less working for them. Has Doug Marrone earned that type of respect at this point?

This news seemed to come out of nowhere, and I'm still not sure how I feel about it. I get the positives, the hard-ass thing, tough of the media, stood up to his front office, etc. I don't know. Seems like a strong candidate, but I don't know if I drop everything and hire him before I hire a GM just because he became available yesterday.

I think he is the hard edged guy who will yell at players, bench them etc ot get back the dissipline an dthe crazy 12 man on field etc penalties we had with 'Good Rex wont bench us ' attitude players had of Rex. He is a CEO type that needs to hire great coordinators and run the whole team/organization, not just the defense like Rex did.

An offensive line coach who never called plays as an offensive coordinator under Payton in NO is the favorite to replace Rex Ryan? A head coach with an offensive background who elected to draft EJ Manuel and failed to develop him or his offense who placed in the bottom third his 2 years as HC of the Bills? Cant wait to hear the BS Woody heaps on us as to why he hired a Bills retread with no prior success as the new head coach.

These preemptive attack pieces are really over the top. Marrone does come across as a prickly guy who isn't afraid to fight with his bosses, players, or the media. I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing, quite frankly. He made no friends in the media, we know that. These Buffalo reporters have an axe to grind with him over that and they also have to deal with being dumped by the guy. None of these articles should be surprising or have any influence on anyone.

The Jets will have to discern in his interview (if/when that is) if they feel his personality is suited for the job here.

We first need to look at his resume. His offense was almost as bad as ours even with Watkins at WR.

Shirley you can't be serious. I've been critical as hell of Idzik since day one.

well to be honest I kind of lump you , T0m and blatesman into 1 mega poster since the opinions and style is usually so similar, + you have the same clearly inferior hangers on like Ape who follow you all around desperately seeking approval

when 1 has an opinion, it's fairly safe to assume you all do .. in this case I guess not, but paint with a broad brush I do

His Coaching record is superior than our previous coach.

Rex winning percentage: .479 with -4 games above .500 49 challenges - 23 overturned 26 upheld

Marrone winning percentage: .479 with -2 games above .500 12 challenges - 6 overturned 6 upheld

well to be honest I kind of lump you , T0m and blatesman into 1 mega poster since the opinions and style is usually so similar, + you have the same clearly inferior hangers on like Ape who follow you all around desperately seeking approval

when 1 has an opinion, it's fairly safe to assume you all do .. in this case I guess not, but paint with a broad brush I do

It's ok. I frequently get you comfused with Gyno-Tony.

CTMKLACKOJIF

His Coaching record is superior than our previous coach.

Rex winning percentage: .479 with -4 games above .500 49 challenges - 23 overturned 26 upheld

Marrone winning percentage: .479 with -2 games above .500 12 challenges - 6 overturned 6 upheld

are you actually saying his record is better cause the he is closer in count of wins and losses, despite having coached only a 1/3 the games rex has?

Doug Marrone and Jets: Buffalo media trashes him on his way out of town

Dom Cosentino

on January 01, 2015 at 11:57 AM, updated January 01, 2015 at 12:03 PM

By opting out of staying with the Bills, Doug Marrone seemingly went from mediocre head coach to being fitted for a bust in Canton. And the Jets instantly went from a team pursuing him to the "favorites" to land him, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter. It's almost as if Bill Walsh has just fallen into the Jets' laps.

But Marrone's short time in Buffalo was significantly flawed, according to several reporters there who covered him daily.

Marrone has been getting plenty of other laurels from the national media. Those plaudits seem to spring from his having led the Bills to a winning record—their first in 10 years—while navigating the uncertainty of a changing ownership situation, and also for winning a game after being displaced by a snowstorm, never mind that the Bills beat the crummy Jets that week.

Marrone is certainly a reasonable option. But he went 15-17 in two seasons with the Bills. He failed to make the playoffs, and he drafted a bust of a quarterback in E.J. Manuel despite being an offensive-minded coach. So why all the adulation?

The Jets do still have several other candidates in mind, and they're still scheduled to interview the Seahawks' Dan Quinn and Tom Cable this weekend in Seattle.

Have doubts about Marrone and the Jets? Here, then, are some reports out of Buffalo to reinforce those doubts:

Jay Skurski, the Buffalo News:

Prior to Marrone being hired, team president Russ Brandon used words like "forward thinking, progressive and attacking" in describing what the team was looking for in its new coach.

None of those adjectives fit Marrone's style. His consistent reluctance to show any aggression on fourth-down plays became one of the biggest criticisms of his tenure.

As a whole, the offense regressed in two seasons, from 19th overall in 2013 to 26th this past season. Much of that regression can be traced to issues at quarterback, which doesn't fall entirely on Marrone. But it's worth noting he was involved in the decision-making process to select EJ Manuel in the first round of the '13 draft - a bust to this point.

The offensive struggles, however, weren't limited to the quarterback. The team's offensive line regressed badly in 2014.

Marrone would generally refuse to provide any specifics on player injuries. He would vacillate between offering one-sentence responses or verbose soliloquies in which he mastered the art of saying a lot without saying anything at all when addressing the media.

That tense relationship with reporters didn't have any on-field impact, but it also turned off a segment of the fan base.

Tim Graham of the Buffalo News:

A source close to Marrone also noted the coach was bothered deeply by media criticism, especially after the Bills defeated the heavily favored Green Bay Packers on Dec. 14 in Ralph Wilson Stadium.

And more from the Twitters:Marrone.jpg

Really, though: If Marrone couldn't handle media scrutiny and fan criticism in Buffalo, he ought to be just fine in a backwater market like New York City, right?

Tough guy routine. Thin skinned.

Been there. No thanks, if true.

With a former Jets castoff Johnathin Goodwin @ Center! No less

The Jets could do a lot worse than Marrone. This doesn't mean they shouldn't continue their search. I believe Wolf and Cass will indeed hire the best candidate. Whether thats Marrone or not remains to be seen. 

I'm saying he's actually the same coach by end results on paper alone, but I believe he is WAAAAY better simply because he IS NOT REX. :-)

fwiw... rex has a superior record "by end results on paper alone".. 15-17 is not a .479 WP , not to mention you didn't include his playoff record nor his numerous snoopy bowel trophies

also using gross totals like you did doesn't work when the sample sizes are so different ...

An offensive line coach who never called plays as an offensive coordinator under Payton in NO is the favorite to replace Rex Ryan? A head coach with an offensive background who elected to draft EJ Manuel and failed to develop him or his offense who placed in the bottom third his 2 years as HC of the Bills? Cant wait to hear the BS Woody heaps on us as to why he hired a Bills retread with no prior success as the new head coach.

So glad for this thread. I mean the thread below didn't have much input n lacked the killer instinct:

http://forums.jetnation.com/topic/119122-are-the-jets-seriously-trying-to-steal-the-worst-employed-head-coach-in-the-nfl/#

I'm saying he's actually the same coach by end results on paper alone, but I believe he is WAAAAY better simply because he IS NOT REX. :-)

Yeah I guess Marrone took the Bills to TWO afcc game with a rookie QB that had 12 td and 20 int in his rookie season AND beat Payton and Brady back to back on the road in the playoff.  But heck, who are we to be objective?

Archived