Doug Marrone Opts Out - MERGED

JetsFanatic

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agreed.  It's coming down to what package we're going to hire.  Kirchner/Quinn, or Mccagnon/Marrone.  Not sure who Bowles, Cable, Mora, Reich would be tied to.  Woody said he wants the GM/HC to be on the same page, it certainly seems to be coming together that way. 

agree, I too like the packages that are coming together.

The beat off writer are just trying to sell newspapers by stirring up BS about hiring coach 1st etc...when we all know there is communication going on with GM prospects and coach prospects simultaneously and no one has been hired yet.

@viccarucci: Bill Polian on why he decided not to join the #Bills: Role change became 'heavy lift.' Read more: http://t.co/2gfHofMYPJ

Former Buffalo Bills general manager Bill Polian told The Buffalo News today that he has turned down a chance to return to the team to oversee its football operations.

Polian said he had spoken with Bills owner Terry Pegula during the holidays about returning to the club in a "mentoring/advisory" role on the assumption that Doug Marrone would still be the head coach and quarterback Kyle Orton would still be on the roster.

"Then, the quarterback goes away and the coach disappears," Polian said, referring to Orton's decision to retire on Dec. 29 and Marrone's decision on Wednesday to exercise a clause that allowed him to vacate his contract with one year left.

"So the job, from my perspective, changed," Polian said. "It went from a mentoring and advising role, which would have been fun, to a real heavy lift -- hire a new coach, hire a staff, etcetera, etcetera, etcetera.

"The bottom line is the job description changed pretty dramatically and the most important thing is that it would have required a really long commitment to a new coach, who deserved a long commitment that I wasn't prepared to make. And that wouldn't have been fair to the organization or to whomever their new coach was. The coach is going to want to know that you're going to be there for a reasonably long time."

In Polian's view, that meant something longer than three years, which was the extent that he would have been willing to commit.

Polian also cited "family considerations," saying that the new role would have required time and effort that he didn't want to invest "at my age." Polian is 72.

In response to a media report that his decision not to join the Bills was over money, Polian said, "That is absolutely untrue. Terry Pegula treated me with the utmost respect throughout this process. My sole reasons for turning down this offer had to do with family and a commitment that the changed circumstances with the organization required."

hand over mouth, little girl giggle at Buffalo

Former Bills coach Doug Marrone will meet with Jets
January, 1, 2015
JAN 1
4:35
PM ET
By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com
The New York Jets and former Buffalo Bills coach Doug Marrone will meet in the coming days to discuss the team's head-coaching vacancy, it was confirmed Thursday. 

This, of course, comes as no surprise, considering the Jets expressed immediate interest in Marrone as soon as he decided Wednesday to exercise his opt-out from the Bills, making him the free agent. Marrone spoke Thursday by phone with Jets owner Woody Johnson, according to theMMQB.com. 

Truth be told, the Jets had been monitoring Marrone's situation with the Bills for days. New consultant Charley Casserly is known to be enamored of Marrone and is pushing his candidacy, according to sources. 

Marrone is prepared to interview with other teams, but there's a growing sense among industry insiders that he's the Jets' top candidate -- and he has mutual interest in the Jets. The Bronx native was the Jets' offensive line coach from 2002 to 2005. 

Sources confirmed that Marrone will interview with the Chicago Bears and Atlanta Falcons, as first reported by the New York Post. 

Meanwhile, the Jets are continuing their search for Rex Ryan's replacement, as they should. 

On Friday, the Jets' delegation -- which includes Johnson, Casserly and consultant Ron Wolf -- will be in Seattle to interview Seahawks defensive coordinator Dan Quinn. Like Marrone, he's a former Jets assistant with ties to the New York/New Jersey area. He grew up in Morristown, N.J., a few miles from the Jets' facility. Quinn is a hot candidate, drawing interest from the Falcons and San Francisco 49ers. 

While in Seattle, the Jets will meet with Seahawks offensive-line coach Tom Cable, a former Oakland Raiders head coach. 

San Diego Chargers offensive coordinator Frank Reich also has agreed to interview with the Jets. That meeting likely will occur next week, but the Bills have emerged as a strong possibility for Reich, a former Buffalo quarterback. 

Two other confirmed candidates for the Jets' job are involved in playoff games this weekend -- Arizona Cardinals defensive coordinator Todd Bowles and Baltimore Ravens offensive coordinator Gary Kubiak. They already have interviewed an in-house candidate, running backs coach Anthony Lynn. 

As for the Jets general-manager search, the candidate gaining traction is Mike Maccagnan, the Houston Texans' director of college scouting. He has ties to Casserly and Marrone. There is mutual interest and an interview will happen in the coming days.

Lets just get er done

Marrone-Maccagnan

New OC

New DC

New Position Coaches

Fire lunch lady

Cancel movie night

File Bradway

Free agency

Draft

UDFA

plenty to do here

well to be honest I kind of lump you , T0m and blatesman into 1 mega poster since the opinions and style is usually so similar, + you have the same clearly inferior hangers on like Ape who follow you all around desperately seeking approval

when 1 has an opinion, it's fairly safe to assume you all do .. in this case I guess not, but paint with a broad brush I do

You can hang out with us if you want but we'll need you to brush up on your French poetry.

Lets just get er done

Marrone-Maccagnan

New OC

New DC

New Position Coaches

Fire lunch lady

Cancel movie night

File Bradway

Free agency

Draft

UDFA

plenty to do here

Bradway goes before the lunch lady.

well to be honest I kind of lump you , T0m and blatesman into 1 mega poster since the opinions and style is usually so similar, + you have the same clearly inferior hangers on like Ape who follow you all around desperately seeking approval

when 1 has an opinion, it's fairly safe to assume you all do .. in this case I guess not, but paint with a broad brush I do

lol, check your history, my opinion on Rex was well established long before Tomshsne started parroting my sentiment.

It's good to see you trying again, but with better accuracy comes better trolling.

Lets just get er done

Marrone-Maccagnan

Ya starting to look that way,, marrone (offense guy) 'may' decide to keep DL coach Dunbar as DC (dunbar widely regraded as they  best strategist of he and Jets DC thurman)  and keep same syatem of defense since a-players who fit scheme here, b- no learning curve of new playbook like we will have on offesne and c- he basically played similiar scheme w/Bills since Pettine as Bill DC last year installed Rex's system

Ya starting to look that way,, marrone (offense guy) 'may' decide to keep DL coach Dunbar as DC (dunbar widely regraded as they  best strategist of he and Jets DC thurman)  and keep same syatem of defense since a-players who fit scheme here, b- no learning curve of new playbook like we will have on offesne and c- he basically played similiar scheme w/Bills since Pettine as Bill DC last year installed Rex's system

i'd like to see them try and retain Anthony Lynn and Tim McDonald too.  I think they have been pretty good holding this team together.

who gives a sh*t... I am not even sure why you keep quoting that stat.... The talent here has been bad last 2 years and beating Rex is not some noteworthy accomplishment even if it wasn't

The Jets and Bills actually are similar in roster strengths, that Bills O had one legit (rookie) WR, Fred Jackson and Orton, all the talent is on D just like for us. We may have actually had more playmakers on offense this year, if you look at it, especially with all their injuries.

The whole "lack of talent" argument just doesn't apply.

Didn't realize the Bills had no GM and let their rookie HC make all decisions?

And if Doug Marrone loved Manuel so much, who was the guy who benched Manuel in 2014?

A lot of the same people blaming the HC Marrone for bad drafting (and the Bills last few drafts have actually been very solid besides the Manuel pick) are the same ones who blamed the GM Idzik for our bad drafts. If the shoe fits your villain ...

I hate to sound defeatist, but the real "culture changing" elite coaches or GM candidates won't even consider interviewing here. Saban, Harbaugh, Shanahan, Holmgren, DeCosta, that douche from Minnesota. They won't even consider an interview.

Just like the Browns who scrambled to find anyone who would take their HC position we are going to have to take what we can get. We have officially become the Browns.

Considering what's left... Marrone and that guy from the Texans as GM is all we are going to get, especially if Woody feels he needs to pounce on Marrone and hires him before the GM.

Bowles and DeCosta was the move. I actually think if we tried to move up for Mariota he may pull an Elway/ Eli... And turn us down.

Sad days folks...

The more I read about Marrone, the more I like him.

The Bills have played conservative offense because they don't have a quarterback that allows them to be daring. And when you play conservative football, you cannot have a QB that makes mistakes. Marrone recognized that and benched the young first round QB in favor of the veteran journeyman. It was a gutsy move that surely pissed off people in the Bills' front office.

We could use a guy with a brass set like that, after all these years of Rex playing favorites.

Manish campaigning hard against him makes me want Marrone to be the new coach even more.

The more I read about Marrone, the more I like him.

The Bills have played conservative offense because they don't have a quarterback that allows them to be daring. And when you play conservative football, you cannot have a QB that makes mistakes. Marrone recognized that and benched the young first round QB in favor of the veteran journeyman. It was a gutsy move that surely pissed off people in the Bills' front office.

We could use a guy with a brass set like that, after all these years of Rex playing favorites.

Manish campaigning hard against him makes me want Marrone to be the new coach even more.

Rex went conservative and the fans hated it.. What Vet journey man QB did Rex have Vick?? The GM wanted Geno to play remember??

I hate to sound defeatist, but the real "culture changing" elite coaches or GM candidates won't even consider interviewing here. Saban, Harbaugh, Shanahan, Holmgren, DeCosta, that douche from Minnesota. They won't even consider an interview.

Just like the Browns who scrambled to find anyone who would take their HC position we are going to have to take what we can get. We have officially become the Browns.

Considering what's left... Marrone and that guy from the Texans as GM is all we are going to get, especially if Woody feels he needs to pounce on Marrone and hires him before the GM.

Bowles and DeCosta was the move. I actually think if we tried to move up for Mariota he may pull an Elway/ Eli... And turn us down.

Sad days folks...

You are defeatist why did the Tuna leave a Bowl team for the 1-15 Jets in 1997?? The Guys from the Ravens or Vikes are turning down everybody but you want it to seem they are just turning down the Jets?? We are number 1 in whining fans..

There are articles that say all of the Bills leadership wanted EJ, that is the scariest part of him surfacing as a candidate.

I have no problem with them wanting him.  but taking him where they did was a super reach and everybody knew it.  they could have moved around and probably drafted him anywhere in the top 40 picks

thats on the GM mostly

Archived