Doug Marrone Opts Out - MERGED

JetsFanatic

Michael Kay today explained he grew up with Marrone, and then proceeded to say some things that he didn't say came from Marrone, but probably couldn't have come for anyone else. The Bills new ownership was negotiating with Marrone and his agent Sexton(also Ryan's) about the clause up until the deadline after the option clause was invoked, at which point the Bills apparently put out a press release and tweet saying Marrone was leaving. So there was nothing left to discuss. 

The Pegulas were probably shocked the Wilsons had stupidly given such a clause with a 90+ owner, but it's in black and white. Can understand why they're pissed but tough titties. WOuld imagine that's the last time Sexton will get away with that.

Would suggest Mehta, gary Myers and various Buffalo writers really need to S T F U in the worst way. You're allowed to dislike Marrone or disagree with the move(should it happen). But Marrone isn't the devil and might even be a good coach based on his record of improving teams where ever he has been. These reporters have crossed the line from reporting the story to putting themselves at the center of it. 

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Until the Jets get a QB they will suck. Plain and Simple. Quinn, Marrone etc, It doesn't matter. All I know is Marrone outcoached Rex 3 times in the past two years and spanked the Jets. That's pretty good. The Players Loved Rex but they won 4 games....Giants players cant stand Coughlin but won 2 Superbowls for him! Marrone is an ex player. I don't care what the media says. He has head coaching experience. At least he wont have too learn on the Job. Sign me up.

Kevin Mawae approves. From Dick Semenini:

" Kevin Mawae played four seasons under Doug Marrone and spent a

summer as a coaching intern on Marrone's staff with the Buffalo

Bills, so he has a pretty good feel for the man and the coach. He

likes Marrone and believes he'd be a good hire for the New York

Jets .

"If anybody asks for my stamp of approval or, as they say in New

York, would I vouch for him? I absolutely would," Mawae said Friday

by phone."

why do the bills writers keep trying to tag marrone as thin skinned ?

changes in ownership scares the coaching staff

He's the opposite of Rex. He doesn't say much so the writers have to work. Since they no longer have to cover him they can rip him.

Until the Jets get a QB they will suck. Plain and Simple. Quinn, Marrone etc, It doesn't matter. All I know is Marrone outcoached Rex 3 times in the past two years and spanked the Jets. That's pretty good. The Players Loved Rex but they won 4 games....Giants players cant stand Coughlin but won 2 Superbowls for him! Marrone is an ex player. I don't care what the media says. He has head coaching experience. At least he wont have too learn on the Job. Sign me up.

I wanna know more than that. Splitting with the 8-8 Jets and sweeping the 4-12 Jets isn't all that special. I know people like this guy because he's supposed to be something of a rules-oriented hard-ass, but that only solves half the problem with Rex. The bigger problem, IMHO, is the lack of development on the offensive side of the ball. Enter Marrone, an offensive coach who's success was mostly defense despite the offense.

To me, he's a solid candidate. I like that he's experienced and has improved the team in his last two stops, but I wouldn't blindly sign up. If I were interviewing him, I'd ask him what he thought he did wrong on offense with the Bills, and what his plan is to improve the Jets' offense. Jim Schwartz is getting all the credit for the defense over there, enough that he's a serious candidate for their head coaching job. Will Marrone be able to land any of his assistants? If Schwartz gets the job, I could see him keeping practically the whole staff in place.

This guy is no slam dunk.

Kevin Mawae approves. From Dick Semenini:

" Kevin Mawae played four seasons under Doug Marrone and spent a

summer as a coaching intern on Marrone's staff with the Buffalo

Bills, so he has a pretty good feel for the man and the coach. He

likes Marrone and believes he'd be a good hire for the New York

Jets .

"If anybody asks for my stamp of approval or, as they say in New

York, would I vouch for him? I absolutely would," Mawae said Friday

by phone."

That means a lot to me. I also heard on michael Kay that bill Polian also loves marrone. I trust people like Kevin mawae, bill pollian, Charley casserly and Ron wolf more than some stupid newspaper reporters or fans that don't see marrone as a very interesting name. Well see. Right now I still like Dan Quinn the best but I'm not gonna jump off a bridge if we hire marrone.

Myers: Sunday Morning Quarterback: If Doug Marrone is next NY Jets coach, he will be stark contrast to Rex Ryan's player-friendly ways

Doug Marrone’s exit from Buffalo was not very graceful, but Bill Parcells didn’t stick around long enough to be thrown a parade on his way out of Foxborough, either.

It doesn’t often end well for ambitious, paranoid and insecure coaches who are always thinking ahead to their next job. Marrone is now considered the overwhelming favorite to be the next Jets coach, a hometown guy from the Bronx.

Parcells ran away from New England all the way to the Jets because he was not comfortable after three years working with new owner Robert Kraft, voiding out the last year of his contract. He left the Jets one year after Woody Johnson bought the team. He left Miami when he was boss of the Dolphins after Wayne Huizenga sold the team to Steve Ross.

Marrone had an out in his Bills contract that he exercised when the estate of Ralph Wilson sold the team to Terry and Kim Pegula. He gets $4 million from the Bills no matter what happens, but it’s not logical that he walked away without the security of having a job lined up.

That job appears to be with the Jets. He interviewed with the Jets on Saturday, with the Bears and Falcons appearing to be backup candidates. One source thought the uncertainty of the new owners’ plans for him combined with a difficult relationship with team executives led to Marrone making the best decision for himself. He’s not Parcells or even Jim Harbaugh, who never had to worry about employment. That’s why you don’t have to be much of a believer in conspiracy theories to think Marrone had a heads-up about the Jets’ interest before he quit on the Bills.

The issue: Is he the right coach for the Jets?

“I like him. He’s very good,” one former NFL general manager told the Daily News. “Of all the coaches available, I would rank him No. 1. I would give Rex Ryan the edge at No. 2 over (Seahawks defensive coordinator) Dan Quinn. Rex has got head coaching experience, and I think he will be better the second time around. I like the way Rex handled himself this year. I saw humility and maturity.”

Rex was the ultimate players’ coach. Marrone, who was the Jets’ offensive line coach from 2002-05, is a disciplinarian. That’s the way it goes in the NFL. The next hire is usually opposite from the coach who got fired. Although Marrone’s background is coaching the offensive line and he didn’t call the plays in Buffalo, he did work in New Orleans for Sean Payton, the best play caller in the NFL, from 2006-08. He had the title of offensive coordinator, but Payton called the plays. The Jets desperately need a creative offensive coach and not a head coach who thinks like an offensive line coach.The party is over for the Jets if Marrone replaces Ryan.

“What that guy did at Syracuse, what he did at Buffalo, don’t minimize it,” the former GM said. “Syracuse is a lousy job. The guy won and he won with his kids. In Buffalo, he signed Kyle Orton at the beginning of the season and that never works. He made it work. I just look at what he’s done from the sidelines — 80% of head coaches fail at their job because of their inability to hire opposite their expertise. That’s a fact. Marrone comes in and hires Mike Pettine. That was a helluva hire. Then he gets Jim Schwartz, a helluva hire. He gets it. He knows how to build a program.”

What about his personality?

“For whatever reason, he’s not an easy guy to be around. He’s not fun-loving,” he said. “He’s totally the opposite of Rex the way he relates to players. But players respect him. He’s very bright. He’s smart about football. He knows the game. He certainly knows coaches. He and the administrative staff in Buffalo butted heads. He’s not an easy guy to deal with. He’s got Parcells in him that way. But there can’t be a better candidate. Not on paper.”

If the Jets want Marrone and feel they must act quickly, they are not following the usual NFL protocol of hiring a GM first. They will be back to the setup when John Idzik was forced to keep Ryan unless they are putting together an organizational chart where Marrone will have total control and will have input on the hiring of a new GM. What has he done to deserve that kind of power that Bill Belichick, Pete Carroll and Andy Reid have? Lovie Smith has it in Tampa, but at least he took the Bears to a Super Bowl. Chip Kelly was given personnel control on Friday in an Eagles shakeup.

This all could have been avoided if Johnson hired the right GM two years ago, one who provided Ryan with the right players. Then the Jets might be a winning team and Ryan would still be the coach.If the Jets want Marrone but hire a GM first who has no connection to him, will they force him to bring in Marrone? Maybe they hire someone Marrone has worked with before and wants to work with again, perhaps Philly’s Rick Mueller, who worked with Marrone in New Orleans.

Regarding Marrone’s awkward departure from Buffalo, the GM said he did the right thing with no QB, front office friction and a new owner who will likely have waited a year to evaluate him before deciding whether to keep him.

“He does what a very smart person does,” he said. “When Rome is burning, he doesn’t pretend it’s a camp fire.”

OPEN SEASON

Here’s how I rank the six head coaching openings in terms of job appeal:

49ers: The defense has Patrick Willis, Navorro Bowman and Aldon Smith as its foundation, and if Colin Kaepernick has a bounce back year, they have the talent to get to the Super Bowl. Kaepernick is the key. He was very close to Harbaugh. A great job for Ryan.

Falcons: The defense needs to be fixed, but the major attraction is Matt Ryan, who has underachieved but has a lot of ability. He also has Julio Jones. Another great spot for Ryan.

Jets: It’s New York and there’s a lot of pressure, but anybody who can end the 46-year Super Bowl drought will be a hero forever. There’s also the sixth pick in the draft and $40 million in salary cap room. But who plays quarterback?Falcons: The defense needs to be fixed, but the major attraction is Matt Ryan, who has underachieved but has a lot of ability. He also has Julio Jones. Another great spot for Ryan.

Bears: Great city, great tradition, passionate fans, but there’s the Jay Cutler issue. His $15.5 million salary in 2015 is guaranteed as part of the seven-year, $126.7 million deal he signed last year. The Bears need to hire a coach who has a plan to get Cutler straightened out.

Bills: Marrone opted out with two years to go on his contract. There’s the unknown of new owners and no quarterback. But the defense is excellent and the fans are great.

Raiders: Did anybody really think Harbaugh would take this job over Michigan? This is where careers go to die. It’s a place for recycled coaches who think they will never get another chance and young coaches who think this will be their only chance.

CHIP’S POWER PLAY
Kelly received more power Friday when Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie gave him control over personnel. GM Howie Roseman was given the title of Executive VP of Football Operations and will deal with contracts, the salary cap, strategic planning and oversee the medical and equipment staff. In other words, Kelly won a power struggle with Roseman. Last week, the Eagles fired Tom Gamble, their VP of personnel, who was close to Kelly. Now Kelly will be in charge of hiring a new personnel executive. . . . Mike Shanahan was expected to meet with the 49ers in Denver this weekend about replacing Harbaugh. The Niners are in Denver to speak with Broncos offensive coordinator Adam Gase. Shanahan’s son Kyle, the Browns offensive coordinator, is also a candidate in San Francisco. Unofficially, this is the first father vs. son competition for the same head coaching job in NFL history. . . . The Jets made a huge mistake not attempting to sign Darrelle Revis when the Bucs cut him in March. That compounded the mistake they made a year earlier when they traded Revis. I think the Revis trade was on Woody Johnson. Not bringing him back was mainly on Idzik with an assist from Johnson, who was wary of dealing with Revis’ agents again. But the idea that the Jets came out OK in the Revis trade because they were able to get Sheldon Richardson with the Bucs’ No. 1 pick is stretching things. Here’s why: The Jets had the ninth (their own) and 13th (Tampa’s) picks in the 2013 draft. They selected Alabama cornerback Dee Milliner with their own pick and Richardson with the Bucs choice. Clearly, if the Jets had not traded Revis, they would have not have taken Milliner. And they would have drafted Richardson at No. 9 over guard Chance Warmack, tackle D.J. Fluker or CB D.J. Hayden, the players who went between the Milliner and Richardson picks.

THE CROSSOVER
Jimmy Johnson and Barry Switzer are the only coaches to win the college football national championship and the Super Bowl. Harbaugh made it to three NFC Championship games and one Super Bowl — a loss to his brother John — in four years in San Fran. Now that he’s returned to Michigan, his alma mater, he will have the Wolverines in contention for the national championship within two or three years. He will have no trouble recruiting. QBs from all over the country are going to want to play for him. . . . If Ryan winds up at ESPN, he will just be the latest ex-Jets coach to land in Bristol. At various times, Bill Parcells, Herm Edwards and Eric Mangini all have worked for ESPN. Edwards still does. . . . Mangini, who was the 49ers’ tight ends coach last year, is a candidate for the Raiders job. . . . Seahawks defensive coordinator Quinn, represented by former Jets GM Mike Tannenbaum, is the hottest candidate. By the end of the weekend, he will have been interviewed by the 49ers, Jets, Bears and Falcons. Quinn was the defensive line coach under Mangini in his last two years as the Jets coach.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/myers-jets-hire-marrone-big-contrast-rex-article-1.2064619

If the Jets want Marrone and feel they must act quickly, they are not following the usual NFL protocol of hiring a GM first. They will be back to the setup when John Idzik was forced to keep Ryan unless they are putting together an organizational chart where Marrone will have total control and will have input on the hiring of a new GM. What has he done to deserve that kind of power that Bill Belichick, Pete Carroll and Andy Reid have? Lovie Smith has it in Tampa, but at least he took the Bears to a Super Bowl. Chip Kelly was given personnel control on Friday in an Eagles shakeup.

this crap makes me lol.   he puts forth the conspiracy theory of a deal already being in place, then says the jets have to move quickly to hire him, but that would be stupid

LOL

"Several sources" tell CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora the Jets will likely be the first team to name a new head coach this week.

The Jets satisfied the Rooney Rule when they interviewed RBs coach Anthony Lynn, so they can hire immediately. As La Canfora notes, the Jets' GM search is "littered" with candidates who have ties to Doug Marrone, hinting Marrone will be owner Woody Johnson's head-coaching selection. Texans exec Mike Maccagnan is regarded as the favorite to replace John Idzik as Jets GM.
Related: Jets

Source: CBS Sports

"Several sources" tell CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora the Jets will likely be the first team to name a new head coach this week.

The Jets satisfied the Rooney Rule when they interviewed RBs coach Anthony Lynn, so they can hire immediately. As La Canfora notes, the Jets' GM search is "littered" with candidates who have ties to Doug Marrone, hinting Marrone will be owner Woody Johnson's head-coaching selection. Texans exec Mike Maccagnan is regarded as the favorite to replace John Idzik as Jets GM.

Related: Jets

Source: CBS Sports

Good. Package deal. Get them in here, fire Bradway and Bauer, target the assistants and scouts they want, then get to work. Huge advantage to be out in front with this.

He helped end the Patriots owning Buffalo too, no?

You are correct..the answer to that is no.  Beat them one time, this year in wk 17 when Pats went with back-ups in second half.  Played em close in one loss, got doors blown off in the other two.  He's never beaten Brady.

Like I said before Marrone is Sparano. Both OL coaches who have a small sample as a HC.

Don't like it.

Apparently Sparano is better.  Knocked Marrone out of the playoffs this year in wk 16.

I'm curious what makes you like this package deal?

Tough, smart, holds people accountable, not afraid of conflict, well respected. I think whoever takes this job is going to have to be a hardcore AHole to survive it, and Marrone seems like a take-no-prisoners kinda guy. I like that. The fact that this prospect is scaring the sh*t out of the beat hacks pleases me. Maccagnon seems like a veteran personnel guy who can work with him.

You are correct..the answer to that is no.  Beat them one time, this year in wk 17 when Pats went with back-ups in second half.  Played em close in one loss, got doors blown off in the other two.  He's never beaten Brady.

That would make me incorrect. I thought he'd been splitting with the Pats since he got there, oh well, nothing to see here. I still want Dan Quinn if it is a 3-man race between him, Bowles and Marrone.

Very disappointed more college coaches didn't find their way into the mix. This may be an uninformed opinion, but my thought is that a (top-tier) college HC already has experience dealing with the media, owning all 3 phases of the game, and most importantly has already been scouting the nation for players that'll be coming out in the draft in the next couple of years. Just feels to me like the right experience set for a HC who has to execute (alongside our new GM) on the rebuild that Rex 2.0 and Idzik failed to pull off.

Finally heard something I like about Marrone.  Apparently the beginning of the end was on draft day last season.  He was pissed that the Bill traded up for Sammy Watkins and not a QB.  Even though he'd taken Manuel the year before, he'd have taken another one in round one this season.  At least he understands the importance of having a good QB and possibly willing to push the new GM to do what it takes to get one here.

That would make me incorrect. I thought he'd been splitting with the Pats since he got there, oh well, nothing to see here. I still want Dan Quinn if it is a 3-man race between him, Bowles and Marrone.

Very disappointed more college coaches didn't find their way into the mix. This may be an uninformed opinion, but my thought is that a (top-tier) college HC already has experience dealing with the media, owning all 3 phases of the game, and most importantly has already been scouting the nation for players that'll be coming out in the draft in the next couple of years. Just feels to me like the right experience set for a HC who has to execute (alongside our new GM) on the rebuild that Rex 2.0 and Idzik failed to pull off.

Sorry, I meant that the "no" part of your question was correct since he hadn't turned them around.

Can't find anything encouraging about the guy other than he, as you like to say, "sucked the least" out of a bunch of bad Syracuse coaches.  I agree with who I'd take out of the three, but none of them really do anything for me.  I think the Sea defense was in place before Quinn got the job and that's why Gus Bradley got the Jax job.

On ESPN's Postseason NFL Countdown, @AdamSchefter reports that Doug Marrone left Bills' draft room after team traded up for Sammy Watkins.

Yep, as I'd said above, he was reportedly upset that they'd traded a first rounder to move up and didn't use it on a QB.  Guess he knew rather quickly that he'd whiffed on Manuel, and was at least willing to try again.  Keep taking QB's 'til you get one.

Yep, as I'd said above, he was reportedly upset that they'd traded a first rounder to move up and didn't use it on a QB.  Guess he knew rather quickly that he'd whiffed on Manuel, and was at least willing to try again.  Keep taking QB's 'til you get one.

And then continue to take one, albeit further on down the drafts, until you find good / marketable backups...Depth and assets in a QB driven league.

If this is true I am sold

It's gonna' take more than one piece of positive news on the guy for me to be sold, but it's a start.

You aren't winning anything without a QB, so having a guy that understands you need to find one is the top quality to look for imo.

You aren't winning anything without a QB, so having a guy that understands you need to find one is the top quality to look for imo.

True, but I would venture to guess he's not the only guy who realizes that.

Finally heard something I like about Marrone. Apparently the beginning of the end was on draft day last season. He was pissed that the Bill traded up for Sammy Watkins and not a QB. Even though he'd taken Manuel the year before, he'd have taken another one in round one this season. At least he understands the importance of having a good QB and possibly willing to push the new GM to do what it takes to get one here.

At least he wasn't supporting that decision. Trading first rd picks for a WR is crazy.

Archived