Doug Marrone Opts Out - MERGED

JetsFanatic

Tough, smart, holds people accountable, not afraid of conflict, well respected. I think whoever takes this job is going to have to be a hardcore AHole to survive it, and Marrone seems like a take-no-prisoners kinda guy. I like that. The fact that this prospect is scaring the sh*t out of the beat hacks pleases me. Maccagnon seems like a veteran personnel guy who can work with him.

I think you like it mostly because the general reaction has been appalled Jet fans.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't say that I really watched the Bills over the last 2 years, except when they were out-coaching the Jets, BUT I can say that I was an interested observer in what was going on at Syracuse, and Marrone absolutely reversed that program.

Syracuse was a morbid program when he got there and he kept them competitive in most games, and beat some big name programs that Syracuse did not have any business beating, with their talent. 

Can't say that I really watched the Bills over the last 2 years, except when they were out-coaching the Jets, BUT I can say that I was an interested observer in what was going on at Syracuse, and Marrone absolutely reversed that program.

Syracuse was a morbid program when he got there and he kept them competitive in most games, and beat some big name programs that Syracuse did not have any business beating, with their talent. 

Does getting knocked out of the playoffs by Sparano and the 3-13 Raiders worry you at all? 

What about the lack of discipline his team showed?  It was supposed to be that the Jets were undisciplined and reckless before, but Marrone, the "no nonsense I'm not here to be your friend" ran one of only six teams to top 1,000 yards in penalties this season.

I think he gets the job, so I'll root for him, but all I've heard so far is that he's better than the guys before him at Syracuse because they were horrible.  25-25 with a few bowl wins, but also won 5-6 games against Maine and Colgate.  The Bowl wins are nice to talk about, but I think those were wins against other unranked .500ish teams.

Does getting knocked out of the playoffs by Sparano and the 3-13 Raiders worry you at all? 

What about the lack of discipline his team showed?  It was supposed to be that the Jets were undisciplined and reckless before, but Marrone, the "no nonsense I'm not here to be your friend" ran one of only six teams to top 1,000 yards in penalties this season.

I think he gets the job, so I'll root for him, but all I've heard so far is that he's better than the guys before him at Syracuse because they were horrible.  25-25 with a few bowl wins, but also won 5-6 games against Maine and Colgate.  The Bowl wins are nice to talk about, but I think those were wins against other unranked .500ish teams.

AFJF-Take a stand here-Name your top candidate that you want. I can then go ahead and shoot holes in him by telling you a game he lost he shouldn't of, spout numbers and poke holes in philosophy and players he had. It is really a simple game.

It is a game that can be done with HOF coaches.

I happen to think that Marrone has the chops, discipline and foundational leadership qualities that I look for in a coach. Maybe I am isdirected. Time will tell. There are no guarantees, no no-brainers, no perfect coach.

Or, please tell me your perfect coach.

AFJF-Take a stand here-Name your top candidate that you want. I can then go ahead and shoot holes in him by telling you a game he lost he shouldn't of, spout numbers and poke holes in philosophy and players he had. It is really a simple game.

It is a game that can be done with HOF coaches.

I happen to think that Marrone has the chops, discipline and foundational leadership qualities that I look for in a coach. Maybe I am isdirected. Time will tell. There are no guarantees, no no-brainers, no perfect coach.

Or, please tell me your perfect coach.

Dude, if you don't want to talk about Marrone then tell me you don't want to talk about Marrone.  

Tough, smart, holds people accountable, not afraid of conflict, well respected. I think whoever takes this job is going to have to be a hardcore AHole to survive it, and Marrone seems like a take-no-prisoners kinda guy. I like that. The fact that this prospect is scaring the sh*t out of the beat hacks pleases me. Maccagnon seems like a veteran personnel guy who can work with him.

Totally agree, it's disturbing how many Jet fans are getting hoodwinked by Mehta and his antics.

He did make Geno and West Virginia look pretty bad. Also, he only had two years in Buffalo. Considering the condition of the Buffalo roster,front office and cap situation, turning them into a 9-7 team two years later is a pretty good job. 

Btw, Syracuse led the Big East in offense and ranked 17th in the nation in passing yards per game. Not earth shattering - but It is amazing how much less conservative you look when Kyle Orton isn't your quarterback. The guy coaches to win based on what personnel he has. He got the most out of Buffalo, and Syracuse. 

He did make Geno and West Virginia look pretty bad. Also, he only had two years in Buffalo. Considering the condition of the Buffalo roster,front office and cap situation, turning them into a 9-7 team two years later is a pretty good job. 

I don't necessarily disagree.  He did a solid job in Buffalo, but is that what the Jets should be looking for?  Another "solid" head coach?  I was hoping for somebody who won a ring as a coordinator, developed a young QB, or had a dominant record in college if they dipped in to the college ranks.  

I may be wrong, and Marrone may be great, but based on what he's done in the NFL thus far, there's little reason to believe he will be.

His team was more penalized than the Jets, lost the biggest game of his life to the Raiders, failed to develop a first round QB, only managed a .500 record in college, is 0-3 against Brady and the Pats with two blowouts with a better secondary than he'll have here.  A .500 record and beating Geno Smith isn't all that exciting to me.

I feel pretty meh about Marrone.  I'm hoping that the Casserly/Woody crush on him doesn't color the interview process too much.. I wonder if they are seriously considering other candidates. 

Also, am I wrong in thinking that the Jets job isn't a terribly different situation from the Buffalo one? Both have a couple good pieces but no quarterback.  Bills defense probably has better personnel. 

Dude, if you don't want to talk about Marrone then tell me you don't want to talk about Marrone.  

You did not know who the guy was a couple of days ago, other than spouting records at Syracuse and Buffalo. That is hardly a total measuring stick of a coach.

If you did not watch him, all I can do is tell you about him. Or have you listen to others that served underneath him.

SAgain, I ask you, who do you have in your pocket that is better than Marrone? And why?

http://theredzone.org/BlogDescription/tabid/61/EntryId/47157/Sources--Doug-Marrone-didn-t-like-Watkins-trade/Default.aspx

Well at least he won't get fired for not expressing his anger with the GM about draft day trades/picks and most likely free agents too.

Actually when trying to think of Marrone faults one I thought of was the trade for Watkins, seems like a great player but cost too much.

I don't necessarily disagree.  He did a solid job in Buffalo, but is that what the Jets should be looking for?  Another "solid" head coach?  I was hoping for somebody who won a ring as a coordinator, developed a young QB, or had a dominant record in college if they dipped in to the college ranks.  

I may be wrong, and Marrone may be great, but based on what he's done in the NFL thus far, there's little reason to believe he will be.

His team was more penalized than the Jets, lost the biggest game of his life to the Raiders, failed to develop a first round QB, only managed a .500 record in college, is 0-3 against Brady and the Pats with two blowouts with a better secondary than he'll have here.  A .500 record and beating Geno Smith isn't all that exciting to me.

I think Marrone is one of the top choices. So for me that just puts him in a group that I feel the Jets should choose from. How he does in the interview, or when talking to people in the league is something none of us have the advantage of seeing. There are other coaches I like just as much as Marrone. But this talk and treatment of Marrone because of the wide brush strokes a moron like Mehta put on him is mind boggling. 

http://theredzone.org/BlogDescription/tabid/61/EntryId/47157/Sources--Doug-Marrone-didn-t-like-Watkins-trade/Default.aspx

Well at least he won't get fired for not expressing his anger with the GM about draft day trades/picks and most likely free agents too.

Actually when trying to think of Marrone faults one I thought of was the trade for Watkins, seems like a great player but cost too much.

This is where the problem started. Clevelands front office is better than the one Marrone had to deal with in Buffalo.

But couldn't develop EJ??? :sick0017:

How long did he have EJ? It is difficult to develop a QB you place on teh bench.

He did develop Nassib, who was a very good prospect out of Malvern Prep (same HS as Matt Ryan), but not considered a no-brainer prospect. 

Marrone did not recruit Nassib. He inherited him. And, he nurtured the kid into one of the most prolific QBs all time at Syracuse, and an NFL prospect.

Archived