Doug Marrone Opts Out - MERGED

JetsFanatic

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Raiders did play better late in the season, but it's what was at stake.  With a season on the line, you lose to the Raiders.  I get it, it happens, but would that have happened to Belichick, Carroll, Tomlin or Bill Parcells?  Possibly, but I doubt it.

You're right about guessing...and that's why I gave Idzik the benefit of the doubt this past off-season.  So much of what he was doing made no sense but I just kept telling myself "Hey, he must see someting in Jalen Saunders that made him choose him over Martavis Bryant" and "I guess Patterson must be better than most people think".  It is...a lot of it is guessing and hoping we're right, because it's fun to do and we love the game.  I like it better when it's done respectfully and agenda free though.  I came here to legitimately talk about Marrone and it becomes "what about Rex, what did Rex do?  Why was Rex so good?"  None of that matters, Rex is gone and it's about Marrone now.

While I fully expect Marrone to get the nod, it would be effing hilarious, if after all of this, he doesn't get the gig.

Tomlin's Steelers lost a huge game to the Jets this year.  They rebounded, but that could have been hugely costly.  These teams you're mentioning were all also better than the Bills.

As for Idzik, I liked his overall strategy, it was his execution that was disastrous.  And honestly, if the drafts looked decent, and the FA strategy and the record was exactly the same, I'd be upset he was fired.  But, with as poor as the drafts were, the only positive was restraint and cleaning up the mess left behind.  For that, I'm grateful, but I'm good with someone new taking the helm going forward who will hopefully land us some better talent than we've gotten these past two years.  That said, I still hope we don't go into the offseason looking to outspend the competition at all costs.  I hope that if a player makes sense, we bring him in.  If another team wants to overvalue him, we walk away despite the fact that we can win a bidding war.

He very well may not get the gig.  We still need a GM.

Tomlin's Steelers lost a huge game to the Jets this year.  They rebounded, but that could have been hugely costly.  These teams you're mentioning were all also better than the Bills.

As for Idzik, I liked his overall strategy, it was his execution that was disastrous.  And honestly, if the drafts looked decent, and the FA strategy and the record was exactly the same, I'd be upset he was fired.  But, with as poor as the drafts were, the only positive was restraint and cleaning up the mess left behind.  For that, I'm grateful, but I'm good with someone new taking the helm going forward who will hopefully land us some better talent than we've gotten these past two years.  That said, I still hope we don't go into the offseason looking to outspend the competition at all costs.  I hope that if a player makes sense, we bring him in.  If another team wants to overvalue him, we walk away despite the fact that we can win a bidding war.

Yeah, teams lose big games but that was essentially a win or go home and they lost.

Like I said, I may be dead wrong about Marrone and he may go on to revolutionize the NFL as we know it today and win six super bowls...I hope he does just that.

All these execs know more than I do, but this is the Jets and I've said that countless times in the past, only to find out they were just as wrong as I would have been if I picked a coach/coordinator/player.  

Like I said, I may be dead wrong about Marrone and he may go on to revolutionize the NFL as we know it today and win six super bowls...I hope he does just that.

See, and I don't think all of that is necessary.  I hope, if hired, he's a solid coach and he gets some good talent to work with.  If that happens, we'll win football games.

See, and I don't think all of that is necessary.  I hope, if hired, he's a solid coach and he gets some good talent to work with.  If that happens, we'll win football games.

Over time, we'll find out.  Just saw on twitter that they plan on interviewing Bowles.

Speculate on the Jets record this year behind Jim Caldwell.

Rex's awfulness aside, I was commenting on this statement:

"Because the coach matters, but the better team usually wins, not the better coach. Get a guy with a long term vision, holds his players accountable, and makes good in-game decisions and you'll be fine. Barring the really important stuff happens, which is, the GM finds talent."

The difference between the 12-13 and 2014 Lions has been the coach, not a great infusion of talent. Obviously, talent is important, but talent without the coach is net zero.

Good. Package deal. Get them in here, fire Bradway and Bauer, target the assistants and scouts they want, then get to work. Huge advantage to be out in front with this.

Marrone getting a lot of that staff is a huge plus (if they are let go). I would love Donnie Henderson back here as a defensive backs coach, with Pepper Johnson coaching the d-line and Jim Schwartz as the def coordinator.

When Pettine gets fired in two years he can come back here as the defensive coordinator again.

The biggest and most important question for Marrone would be the offensive staff. Bring Rob Moore in here as the WR coach, that will be popular and fun. But you cant bring N. Hackett in here as offensive coordinator. He seemed overmatched in that capacity in Buffalo and there is no way this fanbase has any ability to tolerate another Hackett.

Marrone getting a lot of that staff is a huge plus (if they are let go). I would love Donnie Henderson back here as a defensive backs coach, with Pepper Johnson coaching the d-line and Jim Schwartz as the def coordinator.

When Pettine gets fired in two years he can come back here as the defensive coordinator again.

The biggest and most important question for Marrone would be the offensive staff. Bring Rob Moore in here as the WR coach, that will be popular and fun. But you cant bring N. Hackett in here as offensive coordinator. He seemed overmatched in that capacity in Buffalo and there is no way this fanbase has any ability to tolerate another Hackett.

Maybe he doesn't bring Hackett with him. Why would he?

Agree with this 100%. Totally agree. Which is why it was such a good time to part ways with Idzik. He left the franchise in great shape cap wise. He just didn't earn himself a 3rd draft.

I think he took 19 players and there is one that everyone feels good about. And he had to give up Revis to get Sheldon Richardson in here. :)

One rumor is management wanted Hackett fired and Marrone told them no.

And I want no part of Jim Schwartz.

Seems like the story is Marrone wanted extensions for his staff. Was told no. He just needed a reason to talk the exact same salary to not coach though.

The whole being carried off the field in Detroit rubbed me the wrong way. Very Rex-like. He seems capable as a DC, though, but I'm sure they can find someone else.

Why find someone else if (and I am not sure this is the case) they can get assistants and a coordinator that have game planned together in this division? Just grab the whole staff if that is what Marrone wants.

Like I said Pettine will come back in two years when he gets fired.

Why find someone else if (and I am not sure this is the case) they can get assistants and a coordinator that have game planned together in this division? Just grab the whole staff if that is what Marrone wants.

Like I said Pettine will come back in two years when he gets fired.

If those assistants and coordinators have contracts, the Bills don't have to let them go anywhere.

Marrone can bring everyone except Hackett. Leave that man in Buffalo.

I still don't like him for the job though.

If those assistants and coordinators have contracts, the Bills don't have to let them go anywhere.

Marrone can bring everyone except Hackett. Leave that man in Buffalo.

I still don't like him for the job though.

They are all under contract and are on hold until Buffalo moves forward. So it is an if like I said, but I liked his coaching staff there a lot. All except Hackett.

If Junior Hackett is anything like his father I will take him over Schawrtz.

Paul Hackett knew how to devise a game plan around the players he had. I must be the only jet fan I know that enjoyed watching the Jets under Paul Hackett.

Paul Hackett knew how to devise a game plan around the players he had. I must be the only jet fan I know that enjoyed watching the Jets under Paul Hackett.

I actually agree with you.  I thought Hackett system worked best when Pennington was at his best and playing good play action.

Agree with this 100%. Totally agree. Which is why it was such a good time to part ways with Idzik. He left the franchise in great shape cap wise. He just didn't earn himself a 3rd draft.

I think he took 19 players and there is one that everyone feels good about. And he had to give up Revis to get Sheldon Richardson in here. :)

Uhm hello?  u forgot #51!

Compared to Schitty and Soprano Paul Hackett was a genius.

I don't know why but him opting out to come here reminds me a little of when bellicheat left us. Similar situation with ownership change. And let's face it, he kicked our ass last season twice and actually won with Kyle Orton. (I wish geno was as good) I think he needs Schwartz with him for at least a year though. They seem to,have a good balance. Yes he left the 'cuse and buffalo but who wouldn't. To go from Syracuse to the nfl and then to anyone but the bills. C'mon, we would all do the same exact thing. And he gets 4 mil no matter what. I want a cutthroat winner at all costs and I think he's the best of the crop. I say why not. There's no one else out there that has turned around two crappy programs and he has. I have a gut feeling he's the guy.

I don't know why but him opting out to come here reminds me a little of when bellicheat left us. Similar situation with ownership change. And let's face it, he kicked our ass last season twice and actually won with Kyle Orton. (I wish geno was as good) I think he needs Schwartz with him for at least a year though. They seem to,have a good balance. Yes he left the 'cuse and buffalo but who wouldn't. To go from Syracuse to the nfl and then to anyone but the bills. C'mon, we would all do the same exact thing. And he gets 4 mil no matter what. I want a cutthroat winner at all costs and I think he's the best of the crop. I say why not. There's no one else out there that has turned around two crappy programs and he has. I have a gut feeling he's the guy.

Thank you for starting a thread about this. It's amazing we haven't discussed it yet.

I don't mind an additional thread, given that the angle / perspective is more unique than most of the bitching going on so far.

I don't mind an additional thread, given that the angle / perspective is more unique than most of the bitching going on so far.

The only thing unique about it is that some guy has a "gut feeling". The rest has been posted ad nauseam by supporters of hiring Marrone.

Taking $4M to double-dip OUTSIDE of Buffalo seems like a no-brainer. The fact that he's potentially choosing to stay in New York area and in same division at that, makes him a kickass candidate.

Not to mention the familiarity factor, his experience on the OL, and the fact that he's one of the Casserly/Wolf darlings.

Woody hired TWO men to tell him what to do. They apparently told him, "Marrone."

If that's the case, I'll support him here.

The only thing unique about it is that some guy has a "gut feeling". The rest has been posted ad nauseam by supporters of hiring Marrone.

Oh, then we should definitely argue over a redundant thread about a coach candidate at a time where coach candidates, waiting for news and watching other teams win in the playoffs is all we have going on.

Archived