Doug Marrone Opts Out - MERGED

JetsFanatic

For Godsake, let Jet fans discuss the Jets without trolling with your lame, boring and tired old shtick

Thank you!!!  Some people are like a bad rash that won't go away.  Wouldn't it be

a shock if they actually brought a real football point to a football forum

• Upvote 1

Woody, I applaud the page out of the Leon Hess playbook and all, but Doug Marrone?Seriously?SAR I

Damn, I'm getting the feeling you're not popular here.

I will say I am pretty surprised myself. I have spent months thinking about all of the scenarios and candidates and I never considered this guy. He is an interesting candidate, but one thing is clear... He isn't a winner, at least not yet. Plain Jane record in Syracuse, losing record in Buffalo. Doesent mean he can't emerge into a good HC, and obviously Woody must feel he knows him well. But, again, not a spectacular candidate.

Yet sadly everyone thinks Rex is the worst coach ever and that we will replace him with Vince Lombardi. Sorry to burst everyone's bubble, but this is probably the best we are going to get...

I will say I am pretty surprised myself. I have spent months thinking about all of the scenarios and candidates and I never considered this guy. He is an interesting candidate, but one thing is clear... He isn't a winner, at least not yet. Plain Jane record in Syracuse, losing record in Buffalo. Doesent mean he can't emerge into a good HC, and obviously Woody must feel he knows him well. But, again, not a spectacular candidate.

Since the debacle in Pittsburgh I've been waiting for Woody Johhson to man-up and go steal some quality NFL head coach from another team seeing as that's the only way it's ever worked in our history.

Doug Marrone wasn't the name I had on the tip of my tongue.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

And we are not replacing Vince Lombardi either!

No, we certainly aren't. 

Still not sure how I feel about Marrone as the Jets HC.  It's not a particularly exciting possibility, but then again there aren't really any exceptional candidates out there who many would consider to be "must hires". 

Since the debacle in Pittsburgh I've been waiting for Woody Johhson to man-up and go steal some quality NFL head coach from another team seeing as that's the only way it's ever worked in our history.

Doug Marrone wasn't the name I had on the tip of my tongue.

SAR I

Who was?  Specificly.

• Upvote 1

No, we certainly aren't. 

Still not sure how I feel about Marrone as the Jets HC.  It's not a particularly exciting possibility, but then again there aren't really any exceptional candidates out there who many would consider to be "must hires".

I actually think it is more important we get it right with GM this time around and getvit right with FA and draft

I also think it is more important who our OC and DC will be because this time around it will matter more!

• Upvote 1

What I like about it is that he's not afraid to tell his superiors to go **** themselves if they try to tell him how to run his team. The man had the balls to bench Manuel.

agree, plus he is a hard ass w/players,,will sit a guy for too many penaltys, yell at them on sideline,,unlike Rex who coddled players

I actually think it is more important we get it right with GM this time around and getvit right with FA and draft

I also think it is more important who our OC and DC will be because this time around it will matter more!

I do as well, especially given the lack of top-line HC candidates out there.

As for the coordinators, I'd be fine with Marrone bringing some of his defensive assistants with him from Buffalo, assuming that some of them become available after the new HC is hired there.  I doubt Schwartz would be available (he might even get the HC job), but if he were he'd be a terrific addition to the Jets staff as the DC. 

I would hope, though, that he's not bringing many of his offensive assistants with him from Buffalo, especially not Hackett. 

• Upvote 1

It really isn't a bad choice. He's a nice fit and would demand a lot from his players and not be a puppet on the front office's string. That said, is he the best potential head coach available? Probably not, is he the worst? Not by a long shot. I'd take him over a lot of the names being floated around.

It really isn't a bad choice. He's a nice fit and would demand a lot from his players and not be a puppet on the front office's string. That said, is he the best potential head coach available? Probably not, is he the worst? Not by a long shot. I'd take him over a lot of the names being floated around.

Look, anything's better than Rex Ryan but can we interview a few candidates before jumping over a guy who never had a winning record and dumped both Syracuse and Buffalo twice in two years?

I hope so.

SAR I