Doug Marrone Opts Out - MERGED

JetsFanatic

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It ain't sexy... but let's stop crushing guys before we give them a chance.  He's done ok with Buffalo.  I just hope he runs a tight ship.  No more poor coaching penalities with 12 men of the field, awful challenges and timeout use, no more not running up to the LOS for a quick handoff after a challengable play goes our way, no more letting Brady do his quick QB sneak every 3rd and 1 while our guys are standing around.

Frankly, after 35 years I've hit a level of apathy - I can't get excited for any new coach or GM change, but I'm also tired of our fanbase damning anybody mentioned.

I'm sitting back and waiting, I hope eventually this organization becomes successful but I'm chilling in the meantime.

How about we interview a few GM Candidates before deciding on a head coach?  

Woody, Just do it right. Please. Pretty please. With sugar on top.

Exactly.

We've seen how forcing a GM candidate to accept a head coach that's not his own didn't work before, can't imagine we're going to do it again.

SAR I

Look, anything's better than Rex Ryan but can we interview a few candidates before jumping over a guy who never had a winning record and dumped both Syracuse and Buffalo twice in two years?

I hope so.

SAR I

I hear ya, Marrone isn't number 1 on my list either. All I'm saying is they could do a lot worse. If they think they can bring him in and have him on the same exact page as one of the GM's he has ties with, it just might be worth a shot.

If he brought Shwartz, Pepper Johnson and Donnie Henderson with him that would be amazing. Always loved Henderson. I mean, these guys did wonders with that defense.

As for the offense, I'm not a fan of his Buffalo staff.

Was that really his defensive coaching staff in Buffallo? That's impressive. I continue to like Marrone.

Be warned, there's a TON of Syracuse grads in the local media who may

want Marrone to get the job.  So be careful of what you read there may be

a lot of campaigning going on

It would be interesting seeing Cimini root for the Jets. Or spinning everything away from the head coach on to the GM. But I guess that 2nd one isn't anything new.

Was that really his defensive coaching staff in Buffallo? That's impressive. I continue to like Marrone.

Yes. Schwartz is the d-coordinator. Pepper is the dline coach and Donnie is the d-backs coach. Donnie has put on some weight since he was here. I mention that because fat defensive coaches do well here (Rex, Mangini). When they get skinny we have problems.

Rob Moore is their wide receivers coach. Apparently that guy from Bel Biv Devoe was all talk.

You just have to love how all the guys we're desperately going after have been on our staff before. Mind boggling.

We'll see how that works out. I think he did a good job in Buffalo, despite the lack of talent on offense they have. Turned a horrible team around. He didn't get fired, he's opting out. I just hope this time we get a GM that is handpicked by the HC or vice versa. Those 2 have to be close, they have to work together. That wasn't the case with Rex & Idzik and it showed.

You just have to love how all the guys we're desperately going after have been on our staff before. Mind boggling.

We'll see how that works out. I think he did a good job in Buffalo, despite the lack of talent on offense they have. Turned a horrible team around. He didn't get fired, he's opting out. I just hope this time we get a GM that is handpicked by the HC or vice versa. Those 2 have to be close, they have to work together. That wasn't the case with Rex & Idzik and it showed.

You know, that’s the one thing i never got about the Idzik hiring while keeping Rex thing. If Woody was so enamoured with REX, why didn’t he ask Rex who he wanted as his GM?

I’m on the fence with this rumour.

My first wish is that whomever is hired as coach, he should been a head coach before. I’ve had enough with these ass’t. coach hirings. So,Marrone has head coaching experience and one can say that he did a pretty decent job with the bills. That’s the good.

Now here’s the bad, exercising the “opt out” clause really screwed the bills big time. His ex-players seems pissed off at him, and rightfully so. You know how small the NFL Community is. Being labelled as a traitior or back stabber never takes you far in the NFL it seems so will this reputation hurt him as our Head Coach? That remains to be seem.

But his opt out move is kinda like Bellicheck telling the NYJ he doesn’t want to be the HC.

and it seems like he keeps his 4million 2015 salary:

And ESPN, citing sources, also reported that Marrone gets to keep the $4 million he was guaranteed in 2015, "without it counting as an offset against any future salary even if he should land another job." In other words, that’s four million reasons for Marrone to feel he can ditch the Bills without necessarily having another gig lined up.

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2014/12/doug_marrone_opts_out_as_buffalo_bills_coach_jets_reportedly_favorites_to_land_him.html

You know, that’s the one thing i never got about the Idzik hiring while keeping Rex thing. If Woody was so enamoured with REX, why didn’t he ask Rex who he wanted as his GM?

It made no sense whatsoever. But I always liked how closely Rex & Tanny worked together and it really paid off bigtime early on. They worked together as a unit. Idzik meanwhile came in trying to run the show all by himself. He told Rex who to line up out there, he told Rex who's gonna be brought in, let go etc. in free agency. Glad he's gone. We have to go back to what we did with Tanny & Rex, 2 guys having equal say in everything, constantly talking to each other, having meetings each day about how to build the roster.

It made no sense whatsoever. But I always liked how closely Rex & Tanny worked together and it really paid off bigtime early on. They worked together as a unit. Idzik meanwhile came in trying to run the show all by himself. He told Rex who to line up out there, he told Rex who's gonna be brought in, let go etc. in free agency. Glad he's gone. We have to go back to what we did with Tanny & Rex, 2 guys having equal say in everything, constantly talking to each other, having meetings each day about how to build the roster.

How did that blessed Rex/Tannenbaum marriage work out for the Jets again?

How did that blessed Rex/Tannenbaum marriage work out for the Jets again?

Pretty good actually. Not that it actually matters. Nobody is saying Tanny should return, so I don't know what your point is. The guy doesn't know anything about football, evaluating talent etc. I just want our HC/GM to work together the way Rex & Tanny did, that's all. You can't have a GM tell you one thing when the HC wants to go a different direction, it's chaos. Makes no sense. Those 2 have to work together, they have to build this roster together as a team.

Pretty good actually. Not that it actually matters. Nobody is saying Tanny should return, so I don't know what your point is. The guy doesn't know anything about football, evaluating talent etc. I just want our HC/GM to work together the way Rex & Tanny did, that's all. You can't have a GM tell you one thing when the HC wants to go a different direction, it's chaos. Makes no sense. Those 2 have to work together, they have to build this roster together as a team.

Tannenbaum allowing Rex to partner with him on player acquisition is ultimately why Tannenbaum is out of the league. The man stomped his feet for John Conner, Scotty McKnight, and Tajh Boyd, for God's sake.

The coach and GM roles need to be clearly defined. It's cool if your coach can contribute to player evaluation, but giving him any sort of final say is a disaster. Belichick hasn't won dick since he became his own GM. Parcells made a ton of dubious moves when he was doing both jobs. The last person to do it effectively was Bill Walsh. If Marrone and Maccagnan have a congenial personal relationship, that's cool, but Maccagnan is the one who's going to have to answer for the roster eventually.

Why I'm liking the Marrone idea more and more, and why you're going to see the local hacks rip it:

Marrone’s issues also weren’t limited to game-day decisions. His relationship with the local media got off to a rocky start when in his first training camp, he blew up less than a week into practices when asked about Mario Williams’ mysterious foot injury.

Toward the end of his rookie season with the Bills, Marrone declared he was “110 percent” certain Manuel would play in the season finale at New England, but eventually wasn’t able to because of a knee injury.

That misstep stuck with Marrone: Beginning in 2014, Bills Vice President of Communications Scott Berchtold started news conferences by providing injury updates – a most awkward arrangement.

Marrone would generally refuse to provide any specifics on player injuries. He would vacillate between offering one-sentence responses or verbose soliloquies in which he mastered the art of saying a lot without saying anything at all when addressing the media.

That tense relationship with reporters didn’t have any on-field impact, but it also turned off a segment of the fan base.

There were other significant examples of Marrone’s approach alienating people. During training camp, he had a loud argument with defensive end Jerry Hughes, at one point telling him he “didn’t have to be on this team.” There was also a heated conversation with General Manager Doug Whaley at a practice prior to the start of the regular season.

A national report shortly thereafter suggested that Marrone had referred to himself as “Saint Doug,” in reference to the “miracle” he pulled off by winning at Syracuse and what would be a miracle by winning in Buffalo.

Marrone denied that, and on Wednesday it all became a moot point.

For Doug Marrone, sainthood won’t be achieved in Buffalo.

Tannenbaum allowing Rex to partner with him on player acquisition is ultimately why Tannenbaum is out of the league.

What? Tannenbaum got himself fired with his lack of knowledge of football and the fact that his key pick (Sanchez) first of all didn't pan out and the nail in the coffin was the contract extension / injury he suffered in his last year. He didn't get fired because of how close he worked together with Rex, that's absolutely stupid to even suggest. Ozzie & Harbaugh have the same relationship, they work together. DeCosta and Ozzie work together. You have to work together. In the end of course the GM calls the shots, but you don't let the GM build the team all by himself, that's absolutely stupid, it doesn't work out. The two have to work hand in hand. If the HC feels like he needs a #1 corner he should be able to go to the GM and tell him that and the GM should listen. If the HC wants so and so to be his starting QB he should be allowed to do that without having to get the ok from the GM. These types of things are absolutely basic for every team. Not for us of course. You don't handcuff your HC and then hold him accountable at the end of the year when he never agreed to any of the moves that were made or shot down by the GM.

If we hire Morrone the first thing we have to do is ask him who he feels like he wants to work with. Who he feels like he can work with. Who he feels like would make a good GM. That's the first thing that has to be done. Especially with what happened with him in Buffalo, you want to make extra sure he's comfortable with the GM we bring in. And ideally you want him to pick the guy he will have to work with. The guy that could get him fired. You don't let some idiot 2 week intern who doesn't even officially work for the Jets make that decision, or your owner who doesn't know the first thing about football.

I am not sure how I feel about this.  I am not comparing these two as coaches, but this smells like "Rich Kotite just became available,  Cancel all interviews!"  And I do not like that.  Interview your candidates.  As for whether or not Doug Marrone is a rock star, I could care less.  Coughlin is a drip and he won 2 SBs right in front of me.

Cimini chimes in (with his usual made up "league sources" to somehow throw in his own opinion and give it some credibility he lacks):

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/48111/a-jets-riddle-which-comes-first-coach-or-gm?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

One longtime personnel executive believes the Jets could be playing a dangerous game. "You might as well take a gun, aim at your foot and shoot twice," said the executive, commenting on the coach-before-the-GM scenario. "That would be absolutely stupid. As soon as you hire a coach, you have to understand that the GM would no longer be a GM. He'd be an MG. How do you have checks and balances? It seems to me that Woody is making this up as he goes along."

Archived