Doug Marrone Opts Out - MERGED

JetsFanatic

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So we fired a coach that his players never quit on him, to hire a guy that had his players quit on him?

Last time I checked we fired a HC that didn't win enough games and replace him with a HC that has won enough games elsewhere. Which is pretty much the case with Rex & Morrone. Stop with this playing hard crap. The players have to play hard in order to keep their job, pay their bills and feed their families. They would play hard even if we had a shoe headcoaching the team on the sideline.

Buffalo had some good wins with a QB that stepped out of his retirement rocker.

Plus they put 2 azz whoopings on us that literally made me hate Rex.

Especially the game in Detroit when the only practice they had was shoveling snow.

Interview ONLY! After reading that post from a Bills Message Board I see he has some Herm Edwards in him. Needs Father time to help him with the clock and plays to kick the field goal. No Thanks right now lets see what's out there. Not too sure I want anybody who coached with the Herminator.

because woody has Zero clue. that why this organization is the joke of the nfl. he does everything backwards.

#SOJ

So, bigdannj, when your Vagiants sh1tcan Grandpa Taum next January after another dismal losing season, who will your lucky sperm, little rich boy owner Mara hire next?

Ray Handley

The Jets were in every single game this year within one score but three of those games.

Doug Marrone was the coach of the team that gave us two of those azz kickings!

I'm talking about "not even in the game azz kickings!"

I was driving to South Carolina & had to listen to the 1st Jets vs Bills game at MetLife. The only thing I remember from listening to that game while driving was, "and that's another Buffalo Bills 1st down".

My wifes not a football fan but she allows me my Jets time & she was stuck with me listening to that game & she said "well be happy your not actually watching it!".

Great job by Leinartboy of starting a new thread to troll the same schtick Want to see him really derail things at his best? Start a thread about PSLs or tailgating or hard working blue collar people....then get your popcorn, sit back and watch the bad Catskill opening comedy act begin

Not being familiar with Marrone, can the board enlighten me on his skill set? I know he was an OL coach, but is he a good in game manager(un-like REX) Sounds like his teams are disciplined, but does he have the players respect? How do his teams play coming out of the bye week?(A huge RED flag with Rex) Halftime adjustments?

I'm sure we're all a bit in the dark  with this guy, not a highlight reel resume.... but any thoughts would be appreciated.

I for one would be OK with Quinn or Kubiak.... it's the GM we have to nail. Need a guy who can establish strong scouting and Player development departments.

I keep hearing some fans repeat themselves about hiring a GM first. It's simply not necessary, at all.

Pete Carroll was hired first, then the GM. There are many, many other examples.

The forced GM thing is only a problem when the HC has already been in place for a season or longer. and is a really bad situation if said head coach has a recent losing history. and even on the hot seat himself. It does not apply to new hires, at all.

I keep hearing some fans repeat themselves about hiring a GM first. It's simply not necessary, at all.

The forced GM thing is only a problem when the HC has already been in place for a season or longer. and is a really bad situation if said head coach has a recent losing history. and even on the hot seat himself. It does not apply to new hires, at all.

Well if you are going to give the coach final say on personnel matters, that is an ok way of doing it. While Schnieder runs the front office for Carroll, Carrol has final say. 

Well if you are going to give the coach final say on personnel matters, that is an ok way of doing it. While Schnieder runs the front office for Carroll, Carrol has final say. 

Personnel mostly is a team decision anyway and disagreement is not a bad thing. Most teams lean towards HC in final say regardless of who was hired first. It's a horrible decision to have a GM that has final say on decisions, imho.

Personnel mostly is a team decision anyway and disagreement is not a bad thing. Most teams lean towards HC in final say regardless of who was hired first. It's a horrible decision to have a GM that has final say on decisions, imho.

Disagree. The coach is drafting with his dick, trying to win the next game. A GM has to be the guy that's thinking about winning the next thirty games.

Disagree. The coach is drafting with his dick, trying to win the next game. A GM has to be the guy that's thinking about winning the next thirty games.

What good teams that have a GM who makes the final call on personnel? The Ravens, maybe? HC's draft with the idea of how a player is going to fit what the team wants to do. 

This. Chicago is also interviewing coaches without having their GM in place. Are the Jets supposed to just sit and watch coaches go by, with their thumbs up their butts, until the GM is hired? They have to do their due diligence and if somebody hits the cover off the ball, hire him.

I hope they're able to have the gm first, but by the same token, I'd hate to see somebody good get away. Remember, Woody has two football minds giving advice.

Look, anything's better than Rex Ryan but can we interview a few candidates before jumping over a guy who never had a winning record and dumped both Syracuse and Buffalo twice in two years?

I hope so.

SAR I

At least it appears he will hold his players accountable.  Benched his QB in Buffalo after 4 bad games.

I'm sure he wouldn't have let Geno skate after missing a meeting and Vick saying he was unprepared.

I think if it was purely Woody making the decision he would probably have this guy hired already. Wolf and Casserly will do their full search and help him come to a conclusion. 

According to Brian Costello and Rich Cimini, Casserly likes Marrone.

Not being familiar with Marrone, can the board enlighten me on his skill set? I know he was an OL coach, but is he a good in game manager(un-like REX) Sounds like his teams are disciplined, but does he have the players respect? How do his teams play coming out of the bye week?(A huge RED flag with Rex) Halftime adjustments?

I'm sure we're all a bit in the dark  with this guy, not a highlight reel resume.... but any thoughts would be appreciated.

I for one would be OK with Quinn or Kubiak.... it's the GM we have to nail. Need a guy who can establish strong scouting and Player development departments.

Heard he's a Bronx boy.

Will take no bullish*t.

Comes from the Coughlin school of coaching.

because woody has Zero clue.  that why this organization is the joke of the nfl.   he does everything backwards. 

#SOJ

Recent history--Seattle hired Carroll first...KC hired Reid first..Then both teams hired a GM...

Great job by Leinartboy of starting a new thread to troll the same schtick Want to see him really derail things at his best? Start a thread about PSLs or tailgating or hard working blue collar people....then get your popcorn, sit back and watch the bad Catskill opening comedy act begin

Worse than his schtick is the reactionary redundancy it elicits.

Best way to hogtie SAR is through how you choose to react.

Recent history--Seattle hired Carroll first...KC hired Reid first..Then both teams hired a GM...

If the Jets feel Marrone is their guy, then they should hire him even without a GM in place.  Not all situations are like Idzik/Rex.  For one thing, this time around both the GM and HC will be on the same timeline.  Secondly, on teams like the Giants both the HC and GM report to ownership.  Reese cannot fire Coughlin, it was Mara who announced that Coughlin was returning for 2015.

I think if it was purely Woody making the decision he would probably have this guy hired already. Wolf and Casserly will do their full search and help him come to a conclusion.

That's what I am afraid of is Woody jumping the gun and hiring Doug M without completing the GM search and thoroughly interviewing HC candidates. I just want to see things done right for once. I am not all that impressed with Marrone but I don't see any slam dunk candidates out there either. I think the next month will be interesting to see how Woody and team handles this situation .

Lets be honest. If 3 weeks ago, i opened a thread saying we need to pry doug maroon away from buffalo cause hes the guy we need, not one person would have said, "Thats exactly what we need to do.".

The only reason anyone here has convinced themselves this is a great move is because you love the jets and want to be positive.

But doug maroon is not taking us anywhere and would be an awful hire. Lets call it like it is.

And the fact that we are going to have paul hacketts kid as our coordinator is mind boggling. The most maligned oc in team history and were going to hire his son. You cant make this up.

Thank you - finally someone said it. There are certain coaches that have enough cache and experience who will bring in the GM HE wants and can work with successfully. It's about chemistry and "being on the same page". The sad part about your post is that even though you've made a great point - someone will post - "How stupid is Woody hiring a coach first...."

I'm sure we're all a bit in the dark with this guy, not a highlight reel resume.... but any thoughts would be appreciated.

I for one would be OK with Quinn or Kubiak.... it's the GM we have to nail. Need a guy who can establish strong scouting and Player development departments.

Want to see a highlight reel?

Get NFL rewind and watch him outcoach WRECKS and his team open up a can of whoopass on the Jets,.first at Met Life

and second in Detroit after a week when they were moved out of their practice facility, had almost no practices and then had to schlep to Detroit to play the game.

Two monumental routs after our buffoon announced that the Jets had great practicesand all that stuff and were a zilliom times better than when they played in NJ

One HC endured a horrendous week but had his team ready to play under adverse conditions

The other had two weeks to prepare, perfect practice conditions and the only thing he could get to work vs the Bills was his big fat mouth

Archived