Doug Marrone Opts Out - MERGED

JetsFanatic

May the best man when the job is what should be the mantra for Woody and his two advisors. If it's Marone then so be it but please interview everyone you are interested in and don't jump the gun, I think the Jets do need a tough disciplined coach. We have some young dudes that need to be kept in a straight line and developed properly. Marrone could be the guy.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lets be honest. If 3 weeks ago, i opened a thread saying we need to pry doug maroon away from buffalo cause hes the guy we need, not one person would have said, "Thats exactly what we need to do.".

The only reason anyone here has convinced themselves this is a great move is because you love the jets and want to be positive.

But doug maroon is not taking us anywhere and would be an awful hire. Lets call it like it is.

And the fact that we are going to have paul hacketts kid as our coordinator is mind boggling. The most maligned oc in team history and were going to hire his son. You cant make this up.

I don't know what games you watch, but he got the most out of his talent in Buffalo.  Whether or not the Jets hire him, he is a good HC.  He did not a nice job in Syracuse and with the Bills.  Both programs sucked prior to his arrival.

Lets be honest. If 3 weeks ago, i opened a thread saying we need to pry doug maroon away from buffalo cause hes the guy we need, not one person would have said, "Thats exactly what we need to do.".

The only reason anyone here has convinced themselves this is a great move is because you love the jets and want to be positive.

But doug maroon is not taking us anywhere and would be an awful hire. Lets call it like it is.

And the fact that we are going to have paul hacketts kid as our coordinator is mind boggling. The most maligned oc in team history and were going to hire his son. You cant make this up.

except you just did. Where have you seen were hiring Hacketts?

Doug Marrone has ally in Jets organization
December, 31, 2014
12/31/14
9:15
PM ET
By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com
Former Buffalo Bills coach Doug Marrone, suddenly a coaching free agent, has an ally in the New York Jets' organization -- newly hired consultant Charley Casserly.

300105.jpg
Marrone
Someone who knows Casserly, speaking on the condition of anonymity, said Casserly has been raving about Marrone since he was the Syracuse coach (2009-12). Even then, Casserly was describing Marrone as a future NFL head coach, a rising star in the business.

"He was totally infatuated with him," the person said. "You have to know Charley: When he gets on something, he's a pit bull. I know he's got Woody [Johnson] all lathered up."

Johnson is familiar with Marrone, who was the Jets' offensive line coach from 2002 to 2005.

This much we know: The Jets are interested in Marrone, who opted out of his Bills contract Wednesday night, and they will try to schedule an interview if they haven't done so already.

Casserly and Ron Wolf, both former longtime general managers in the NFL, are working as consultants for the Jets. The team has already conducted one interview (Jets running backs coach Anthony Lynn), and they have at least two more scheduled, both with Seattle Seahawks assistants -- defensive coordinator Dan Quinn and offensive line coach Tom Cable. Those interviews will happen Friday, and perhaps Saturday, in Seattle.

Thank you - finally someone said it. There are certain coaches that have enough cache and experience who will bring in the GM HE wants and can work with successfully. It's about chemistry and "being on the same page". The sad part about your post is that even though you've made a great point - someone will post - "How stupid is Woody hiring a coach first...."

Woody would be stupid to hire a HC prior to a GM....

There are, of course, circumstances that would make sense to hire a coach first....But Doug Marrone and his under .500 record isn't one of them.

and I'm actually warming Marrone 

Many top analysts are applauding the JETS looking at marrone.  Just think..he cant be added to your "Rookie HC" list. :)

Marrone is awful.  He took EJ Manuel in the middle of the first round when Manuel was graded as a third rounder by most teams.  Even Jimbo FIsher told teams that Manuel didn't have the tools to be an NFL starter.

Woody would be stupid to hire a HC prior to a GM....

There are, of course, circumstances that would make sense to hire a coach first....But Doug Marrone and his under .500 record isn't one of them.

and I'm actually warming Marrone 

Marrone is awful.  He took EJ Manuel in the middle of the first round when Manuel was graded as a third rounder by most teams.  Even Jimbo FIsher told teams that Manuel didn't have the tools to be an NFL starter.

Marrone is awful. He took EJ Manuel in the middle of the first round when Manuel was graded as a third rounder by most teams. Even Jimbo FIsher told teams that Manuel didn't have the tools to be an NFL starter.

Haha coaches don't influence draft picks everybody know that

This guy could turn out to be a very good NFL HC. He 1st 2 years in Buff weren't too shabby.

I would rather see him come in than some re-tread like Kubiak or an unproven coordinator like Al-Herm-Eric-Rex.

Maybe he is the next terrific young HC in the NFL, who knows?

Not being familiar with Marrone, can the board enlighten me on his skill set? I know he was an OL coach, but is he a good in game manager(un-like REX) Sounds like his teams are disciplined, but does he have the players respect? How do his teams play coming out of the bye week?(A huge RED flag with Rex) Halftime adjustments?

I'm sure we're all a bit in the dark  with this guy, not a highlight reel resume.... but any thoughts would be appreciated.

I for one would be OK with Quinn or Kubiak.... it's the GM we have to nail. Need a guy who can establish strong scouting and Player development departments.

If you're okay with Kubiak you'll like Marrone. They're both JAG HCs.

Marrone is awful. He took EJ Manuel in the middle of the first round when Manuel was graded as a third rounder by most teams. Even Jimbo FIsher told teams that Manuel didn't have the tools to be an NFL starter.

Didn't realize the Bills had no GM and let their rookie HC make all decisions?

And if Doug Marrone loved Manuel so much, who was the guy who benched Manuel in 2014?

Didn't realize the Bills had no GM and let their rookie HC make all decisions?

And if Doug Marrone loved Manuel so much, who was the guy who benched Manuel in 2014?

Because he wanted to save his job and win games?  EJ Manuel was going to get him fired.

Heading into the draft, we had heard reports that the Bills wanted Syracuse’s Ryan Nassibas their franchise quarterback of the future, ormaybe they wanted West Virginia’s Geno Smith, and then came late word that they wanted USC’s Matt Barkley. And there was also talk that the highest-rated player on their board was wide receiverTavon Austin.

But when Thursday night’s first round came around, the Bills traded down with the Rams (a team that really did want Austin) and then used the 16th overall pick to draft a quarterback few thought they wanted, Florida State’s E.J. Manuel. Today on Mike and Mike in the Morning, Bills coach Doug Marrone said that for all the talk about all the other players the Bills wanted, they actually knew all along that Manuel was the guy they wanted.

“Right from the beginning — it happened a while ago,” Marrone said when asked when the Bills put Manuel atop their quarterback wish list. “It was very easy, it was very easy for all of us, we were all in it together and we were very excited about it.”

Marrone is awful.  Make no mistake about it.

I think you need to repeat this same nonsense in seven.or eight more threads. detective SAR Jr.

Oh BTW...Marrone was the one who fought the FO to get Manuel benched

Try putting it in context a little bit. Manuel is still better than Geno or Millner. He actually wasn't totally awful like Geno. Marrone just believes in starting the guys who give the team the best chance to win. Refreshing tbh.

Manuel has not performed but at least Marrone gave him the hook and put a decent vet in.

If you want to kill him on that pick so be it. Who knows if any selection for the next HC turns out well?

No debate from me...  I dont have enough info.  I do has google though and read others talk well about him. :)

I think you need to repeat this same nonsense in seven.or eight more threads. detective SAR Jr.

Oh BTW...Marrone was the one who fought the FO to get Manuel benched

Denial is a powerful thing.  You want more?  This is from BEFORE the draft.  It's well known that Marrone wanted EJ Manuel.

"I hear that Doug Marrone really favors E.J. Manuel of Florida State," Pauline said, "for a number of reasons.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2013/4/24/4263542/2013-nfl-draft-rumors-doug-marrone-likes-ej-manuel

Denial is a powerful thing.  You want more?  This is from BEFORE the draft.  It's well known that Marrone wanted EJ Manuel.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2013/4/24/4263542/2013-nfl-draft-rumors-doug-marrone-likes-ej-manuel

You are acting like Manuel's career is written already. His stats are not the worst and he could still develop into a good QB. 

there was such a wealth of awesome QB in that draft that he passed on too....right?

Why? Did he something bad about Mark Sanchez?

Why, because when Black Monday came and went and there were 28 head coaches safely in their jobs the first name that came to your mind as the best man to lead this franchise was Doug Marrone? I would have pegged you as a Joe Philbin kind of guy.

SAR I

That's not the point.  The point is that he took EJ Manuel -- a guy who was graded as a third rounder -- with a first round pick.  It was terrible.

He was not graded a third rounder. A lot of people had him going mid first to early second round.

Losing Rex is a great Christmas present, I just wanted more than Doug Marrone for New Year's.

SAR I

I don't get the Marrone boner either.

Woody said he wants to get it right this time. 

I expect a dramatic upgrade, not a trade of one problem for another.

Besides, Marrone is too easy a name for sg3 to butcher. So is Bowles.

He was not graded a third rounder. A lot of people had him going mid first to early second round.

Yeah, right.  And his own college coach -- the guy who knew him the best --  told teams that he didn't have what it takes to be a starter in the NFL.  And Marrone the fool still took him in the first.

Why, because when Black Monday came and went and there were 28 head coaches safely in their jobs the first name that came to your mind as the best man to lead this franchise was Doug Marrone? I would have pegged you as a Joe Philbin kind of guy.

SAR I

marone is just a Jag, I wouldn't call him awful...but he did have major input in selecting EJ at 16. Marone is the type of hire Woody loves to make though...he will come cheap!!!

Archived