Jets transition to 4-3 defense? Could Suh, Pierre-Paul end up in green next year?

Connor_J_Hughes

This 4-3 3-4 stuff is all total gibberish. Wilkerson and Harrison and Richardson do the exact same things in Rex's defense as they do in Quinn's defense, or Bowles's, or basically any other defense in the league. Everybody plays the same stuff. There are a finite number of functional combinations of gap assignments and line techniques. There was a time when there was a real difference but there really isn't now.

It's interesting that you only list D-lineman in your analysis: "Wilkerson, Harrison, and Richardson do the exact same thing..."  When we had Jenkins, the goal became finding the next Big Kris.  Once the DL became settled with first-rounders and coached-up gems, the issue with our defense has been getting home with our OLBs.  Snacks has been incredible, Ellis has turned into what we thought he'd be, Douzable is one of my favorite players on the team. 

That's the big difference for me is not the 34-DT vs 34-DE.  It's the 43-DE vs the 34-OLB. 

We've been trying to squeeze converts (from Maybin to Coples) into a standing/coverage OLB position because "they are athletic and can make the transition."

Well, they haven't.  Ever.  Coples is a guy you can plop down on an even front and have him moving forward the entire game.  Switching to a 4-3 takes the cutesy tricky stuff out of our defense and has our players focus solely on defending.  We should have our best players on the field, but the caveat is that they should be playing their best positions while they're out there

Just for fun the top-10 defenses (sorted by total yardage)

half of the top ten defenses play a 4-3, the other half play an odd-front...It's all about the players

1. Seattle  4-3

2. Detroit  4-3

3.  Denver  4-3

4.  Buffalo  4-3

5.  San Francisco  3-4

6.  NY Jets  3-4

7.  Kansas City  3-4

8.  Baltimore  3-4

9.  San Diego  3-4

10. Carolina  4-3

It's interesting that you only list D-lineman in your analysis: "Wilkerson, Harrison, and Richardson do the exact same thing..." When we had Jenkins, the goal became finding the next Big Kris. Once the DL became settled with first-rounders and coached-up gems, the issue with our defense has been getting home with our OLBs. Snacks has been incredible, Ellis has turned into what we thought he'd be, Douzable is one of my favorite players on the team.

That's the big difference for me is not the 34-DT vs 34-DE. It's the 43-DE vs the 34-OLB.

We've been trying to squeeze converts (from Maybin to Coples) into a standing/coverage OLB position because "they are athletic and can make the transition."

Well, they haven't. Ever. Coples is a guy you can plop down on an even front and have him moving forward the entire game. Switching to a 4-3 takes the cutesy tricky stuff out of our defense and has our players focus solely on defending. We should have our best players on the field, but the caveat is that they should be playing their best positions while they're out there.

Just for fun the top-10 defenses (sorted by total yardage)

half of the top ten defenses play a 4-3, the other half play an odd-front...It's all about the players

1. Seattle 4-3

2. Detroit 4-3

3. Denver 4-3

4. Buffalo 4-3

5. San Francisco 3-4

6. NY Jets 3-4

7. Kansas City 3-4

8. Baltimore 3-4

9. San Diego 3-4

10. Carolina 4-3

Blah blah words words. The problem isn't figuring out what to call Coples. The problem is that he is not good. Throwing around slightly different jargon isn't the solution. Getting a pass rusher is the solution.

Exactly.

Is it too much to ask that The Jets finally try to put together a championship winning OFFENSE?

Every year I hear about D-line, d-line, d-line.....When it comes to defense I want a secondary and I want a QB and WR's for once. I want the Jets to be known for having a high powered offense FOR ONCE. FOR ONCE GODDAMMIT! :-))

youngun... there was a time in the mid 80's where has that... in fact through 11 games of 1986 we were one of the offenses I've seen

LOL, That was the year I became a serious fan of the NFL and a Jet fan. September 11th, 1986 to be exact, week 2 where we lost to the Patsies 20-6 in a primetime Thursday night game. A lot of my family are Patsie fans including my Father and I remember making a $2 bet with him on the game that the Jets would beat them. Been a fan ever since. I guess that night was a sign of things to come as a Jets fan lol. It was a nice year to be a new Jets fan though like you said. I was 12 years old in '86 and I'm now going into my 29th year as a fan and I couldn't imagine cheering for another team (that is unless it benefits the Jets in some way).

What a con this team is. They make you think watching football is fun then they give you thirty years of this sh*t.

so true... picked the jets cause it was more fun watching Obrien sling it around to toon and walker then it was watching Simms hand it off to little joe Morris for 3 yards a pop

What a con this team is. They make you think watching football is fun then they give you thirty years of this sh*t.

so true... picked the jets cause it was more fun watching Obrien sling it around to toon and walker then it was watching Simms hand it off to little joe Morris for 3 yards a pop

Ain't that the truth lol.

Archived