Am I reading this right? Only 5 GM candidates?

32EBoozer

Jets have met with three GM candidates, have two more to interview

January 2nd, 2015 9:52 am

The Jets have already met with and interviewed Rod Graves, Trent Kirchner and Bill Kuharich for their general manager position.

The team will speak to Rick Mueller on Sunday and Mike Maccagnan on Monday.

According to NFL reporter Ian Rapoport, that is all the candidates they will look at for the job (Jan. 2).

www.Jetblog.com

There are a few others out there that I thought they'd be looking at. McCloughan is a brilliant evaluator of talent. Maybe an Asst. GM or Director of Scouting/ Pro Personnel

I guess it comes down to Kirchner & Mccagnan. Which means it comes down to Quinn, Marrone, Bowles as HC

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No problem with this, you hire guys like Casserly and Wolf so that you can define an "A" list, then you interview them (if they don't take themselves out of the conversation like Decosta and Paton).

Maybe do a courtesy interview with an internal guy (Graves), and then, if you don't have your guy, you move on to the "B" list.

mac

What qualifies Maccagnan besides his friendship with Casserly?

Frankly, I'd avoid all slapnuts members of slapdick organizations.

Houston, Buffalo, Cleveland, Minnesota ... 

i believe he was part of the organization that picked mario williams over reggie bush and vince young. also picked jj watt, brooks reed,brian cushing deandre hopkins,  traded for johnathan joepsh. houston has a very good roster, there problem is no qb.

mac

i believe he was part of the organization that picked mario williams over reggie bush and vince young. also picked jj watt, brooks reed,brian cushing deandre hopkins,  traded for johnathan joepsh. houston has a very good roster, there problem is no qb.

That's a shame. Casserly picked David Carr with the #1 pick in 2002 for Houston.

Carr is still young enough to play but he gets cut everywhere he goes. Go figure.

No problem with this, you hire guys like Casserly and Wolf so that you can define an "A" list, then you interview them (if they don't take themselves out of the conversation like Decosta and Paton).

Maybe do a courtesy interview with an internal guy (Graves), and then, if you don't have your guy, you move on to the "B" list.

Mehta claimed -- on the radio earlier today -- that he spoke to a GM on the phone and the GM laughed at the selection of Maccagnan as a GM.

Jets have met with three GM candidates, have two more to interview

January 2nd, 2015 9:52 am

The Jets have already met with and interviewed Rod Graves, Trent Kirchner and Bill Kuharich for their general manager position.

The team will speak to Rick Mueller on Sunday and Mike Maccagnan on Monday.

According to NFL reporter Ian Rapoport, that is all the candidates they will look at for the job (Jan. 2).

www.Jetblog.com

There are a few others out there that I thought they'd be looking at. McCloughan is a brilliant evaluator of talent. Maybe an Asst. GM or Director of Scouting/ Pro Personnel

I guess it comes down to Kirchner & Mccagnan. Which means it comes down to Quinn, Marrone, Bowles as HC

Am I missing something? They can only hire one GM, right?

Mehta claimed -- on the radio earlier today -- that he spoke to a GM on the phone and the GM laughed at the selection of Maccagnan as a GM.

Just saying that out of those 5... 1 was a courtesy, while Mueller is a long shot. I was hoping to see McCloughan on the list along with Wolf JR

What qualifies Maccagnan besides his friendship with Casserly?

Frankly, I'd avoid all slapnuts members of slapdick organizations.

Houston, Buffalo, Cleveland, Minnesota ...

I've been saying this for weeks. Losing organizations don't produce winners. No one from Houston should be even considered, especially a guy who's been there from day 1. What a disappointing underachieving culture they have created.

I've been saying this for weeks. Losing organizations don't produce winners. No one from Houston should be even considered, especially a guy who's been there from day 1. What a disappointing underachieving culture they have created.

I know let's get someone from Seattle - they're winners. Oh wait....

See, this is the problem with Mehta's trolling.

He's damaged his credibility so much, on such a grand stage that is NYC media, that he can't be taken seriously when he tries to float stuff like this... simply put, the idea that a GM (in any sport at all) would take a phone call from Manish Mehta is absolutely laughable.

I

Well, the guys being interviewed do not have final say on picks in their organizations.  That is why this is such a crapshoot.  It is all insider talk and info from cronies in other organizations.  A really good candidate could be working for a boob.  I suppose at the interview they make reference to their accomplishments and the team interviewing then tries to confirm it but I do not know.  It really is just a  crapshoot.

Whu?

For an expansion team, they've actually been decent, and aside from Kubiak's "I almost died on the sideline" season, in which Schaub crapped out, Foster and Johnson got old and the OL was broken up, they've been pretty competitive. As competitive as the Jets at least. 

Also... last time I checked, Bill Belichick worked for the Browns and Jets before becoming a winner. If he had worked for the Raiders, he'd have pretty much covered the trifecta of ongoing failure in the NFL, and still considered maybe the greatest coach of all time.

So yeah, good theory.

Am I missing something? They can only hire one GM, right?

Obviously, but it's altogether possibly they are looking for an influx of personnel evaluation that means more then just a GM. Could be looking to make their own little dream team, which might be a precursor to firing Bradway and the rest of the tenured pigs that have been greasing the engine of failure for the past couple decades.

See, this is the problem with Mehta's trolling.

He's damaged his credibility so much, on such a grand stage that is NYC media, that he can't be taken seriously when he tries to float stuff like this... simply put, the idea that a GM (in any sport at all) would take a phone call from Manish Mehta is absolutely laughable.

You heard about Maccagnan here first  :winking0001:

Yeah. I don't want anyone from the scouting department that signed Arian Foster as a UDFA, picked JJ Watt, DeAndre Hopkins....

That's a shame. Casserly picked David Carr with the #1 pick in 2002 for Houston.

Carr is still young enough to play but he gets cut everywhere he goes. Go figure.

Carr was a good pick, not protecting him was the problem. Kid got shell-shocked like no QB I've ever seen. By the time they ran him out of Houston he was beyond ruined.

Yeah. I don't want anyone from the scouting department that signed Arian Foster as a UDFA, picked JJ Watt, DeAndre Hopkins....

Slap dicks. ALL OF THEM.

Get me a coach/GM combo that signs street FA's straight outta prison based on game tape from 3 years prior.

The 49ers sucked bad when green bay plucked mike mcCarthy to be their next head coach. I was perplexed by their selection as well as many others during that time and it worked out pretty good. Sometimes you have great guys that are part of a dysfunctional community that brings the whole operation down. And sometimes the best coordinators fail to transition into great head coaches like norv turner for instance. On the other hand mike Tomlin was a great coordinator for a crappyviking team that couldn't get over e hump and he became a pretty awesome head coach. You just have to wait and see what happens. I'm not gonna pretend I know more an casserole or wolf.

he hasn't even been a director level guy yet.  he oversees like 7 scouts

just not qualified for the job imho

he hasn't even been a director level guy yet.  he oversees like 7 scouts

just not qualified for the job imho

nothing against him, but he definitely does not have sufficient experience to take on GM of the NY Jets. Woody would be getting a green GM.  High risk.  Bad idea.

nothing against him, but he definitely does not have sufficient experience to take on GM of the NY Jets. Woody would be getting a green GM.  High risk.  Bad idea.

Not if he gets s HC who gets along with him and 'shares' the vision and responsibilities

Archived